Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kyosho F4U Corsair

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kyosho F4U Corsair

Old 07-07-2002, 05:50 PM
WidowDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho F4U Corsair

Looking for a good-looking, relatively quick building airplane and I've always loved the Corsair. The little F4U by Kyosho has caught my eye, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to engine selection or retracts.

Right now I am looking at a YS .63 (4-stroke) for power. Too much or a good idea?

Could the Robart 90 degree retracts be modified for use? I know they have a bad reputation when used in the .60 sized TF Corsair, but I thought they might be tough enough for a .40 sized bird (so long as they would fit).

Any other inputs welcome!

Mike
Old 07-07-2002, 08:03 PM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

I had one, lost it to a bad battery. Its a great flying plane and a great kit. I had a TT54 fourstroke in it. It was enough power, but a little more would be better. The 63 should be good. I used hobbico rotating retracts, They were okay just took a lot of adjustment to get them right. Are you going to use the mechanical or pneumatic robarts. If you are going with the pneumatics you will have to mount the air tank in the fuselage or you would have to butcher the fiberglass wing section. It comes out real tail heavy so the bigger motor and if you put the air tank up front it will help, there is lots of room. Hope this helps, I'm not an expert on it, but any more questions just ask.
Fossil
Old 07-08-2002, 01:40 AM
molchaser

I have had one for about a year and think it is a great plane.

I put a Magnum 60 with a brisson muffler and it fits very well. This is a greeat combo IMHO. A little over powered but no lead and I usually fly at partial throttle.

I used the Hobbico retracts and as they come, they are nearly worthless. The fix is pretty simple (If you have drill press and some brass stock.

As it comes there are 2 separate collars, one to hold the strut and one to hold the "rotating" link.

I combined these 2 collars into one long (about 1/2" ) collar with three set screws. That solved all my problems. It used to land OK put at some point in the roll out the wheel would rotate perpendicular to the direction of travel and over on its nose it would go !!!.

I also stiffened up the tail wheel support
Old 07-08-2002, 06:38 AM
SteveBoy-RCU

Default Color Scheme

Just be wary about the color scheme. Mine had a really dark blue fibreglass fuselage and wing roots, but then lighter blue wing tips, elevator and rudder.

The wings and things were obviously a lighter covering, but had I inspected it a bit closer rather than being overly excited about the whole thing, I would not have bought it. It looks like a mismatch and hence reduces its credibility and makes it look stupid and cheap.

Check out and make sure your is a better build color wise.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 AM
fossil

I didn't have any problems with the color, my wing tips and tail feathers matched the fiberglass.
fossil
Old 07-13-2002, 01:16 PM
WidowDriver

Fossil & SteveBoy,

When did each of you buy your Corsair? I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe the first run had the coloration problem and now it's been fixed??

Anyone else have any inputs on retracts or engine selection? The YS.63 four-stroke is my first choice, or maybe an OS .70, but I'm interested in what others have had success with.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:30 PM
fossil

I bought mine when they first came out so I had one of the first ones.
fossil
Old 07-14-2002, 09:28 PM
SteveBoy-RCU

Default .

I bought mine 3 months ago, so I guess I am at the end of the line. But this could also go the other way where they fix some of their earlier problems in later incarnations. I think they just got sloppy later on.

Just check the box first and don't buy sight unseen (mail order).

Steve
Old 07-15-2002, 01:25 AM
Anderson

Default Kyosho Corsair

Widow Driver,
I've been flying flying mine with an O.S. 52 and reworked my 4060 Hobbicos with thicker threaded rod on the rotation bar(the bar that force the 90 degree turn and hold the wheel straight when down).

Regretably, after 70+ flights, I crashed mine late June on a stalled takoff. I got over confident and paid the price. I've since bought a new one.I went with a 65 size motor this time for the weight up front and am reusing my modified 4060's. The same slight mismatch of color is evident but a nonfactor.

I considered the world models and Giant Scale Planes versions but setttled on the Kyosho again. World models version is too standoff with it's long nose tiny wheels and no panel lines. Giant Scale's version too big for me( transporting and storing from small apartment)I never took the wing off my Kyosho in nearly two season's.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:19 PM
jnjong

Hi, I too have the same Kyosho F4U but still not sure if I put Saito56 or Saito65 or Saito72 for this kit.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:37 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I received one of these as a gift about 2 years ago. I just started assembling it a couple days ago. It better fly better that it is designed! Mine has the color mismatch. I added some extra "anti-roation pins" to each wing joint, because I didn't trust the glue joint as designed, and I had to trim the horizontal stabilizer slot quite a bit in order to get it Squarely aligned.

I also added flat light blue monokote to the underside of the balsa wing surfaces just to make it look different.

The local flyers seem to favor the global or world corsair for appearances (I agree on the global, but haven't seen the world). But don't know about a flying comparison between them.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
jnjong

What is the "Anti-roation pins" ? Where is this sold?
Old 02-16-2003, 03:53 PM
P-51B

They are just a piece of wooden dowel that I inserted into the rear of each wing joint to prevent them from becoming misaligned. Even after sanding the fiberglass for better glue adhesion, I just didn't trust the joint setup.

Anti-rotation pins are commonly use on giant scale aircraft with plug in wings. A common smaller plane that has them is the sig somthin extra.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:57 PM
jnjong

What engine to power your F4U ? Any difficulties of set up the kit?
Old 02-16-2003, 04:04 PM
P-51B

I haven't decided yet. I have an NIB Saito 91 and an O.S. 91FX that I had on an ultra-stick 60. Based on a previous kyosho arf (sukhoi) and the wing area, I think that the .46 size engines will be grossly underpowered.

I had a kyosho sukhoi that was a pooch with an os. 46fx, better with a k&b 48 goldhead. But have heard that with the 72 & 91 Saito it is great. The os 46 wouldn't get off our grass strip.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

There are several at our field with YS 91 engines. They look really fast and from what I'm told ballance good when the battery is moved aft.
I have a kyosho spitfire with the YS 63 and it's ok for power but not great.

HTH

Joe
Old 02-16-2003, 04:25 PM
P-51B

Goekeli,

Thanks for the first hand experience, I feel better I about my choices now.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:30 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

You are so welcome!

J
Old 02-17-2003, 02:31 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a Kyosho Corsair (I DO have Top Flite and Dyna Flight ones tho), but I have seen them and can state that they are without a doubt, THE best looking, most scale accurate Corsair ARFs avaiable. They have a very scale/ accurate finish on them, and the person who decided to change the color of the underside did the wrong thing from a scale finish point of view. The finsh is from a U.S.S. Bunker Hill based Corsair, 1945. If anyone thinks there is another Corsair ARF available with such an accurate finish, let me know and I will tell you why it is NOT.
I did have the Kyosho AT6 for awhile, light for it's size and it fly great with a Saito .56 and 12 x 6.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:55 PM
jnjong

Thanks for the info guys. I know the engine I pick would be good for my corsair.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:26 AM
Anderson

Default Scale ARF

Corsair Jock,
I agree the Kyosho is Indeed a scale ARF complete with the corsair wag on medium speed fly-bys.
Since last I posted on this subject I've bought a new Kyosho Corsair and outfitted it with the O.S. .70. Briefly I had a .65 saito
I decided finally on the more fuel eficient O.S.

Anderson
Old 02-18-2003, 09:21 AM
jnjong

Hi, Anderson,

Is Saito consuming fuel quickly or you mean Saito65 power vs OS 70 power make the difference.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:04 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Size/ weight wise, the OS has an obvious advantage. The Saito .65 is an old design, which Saito has modified to produce the the .80 and .91. Basically, it is the same crankcase and cylinder, and therefoe about the same size and weight as the .80 and .91. So, the newer designed OS .70 is smaller and lighter than the .65. So, putting a Saito .65 in this .40 sized aircraft is about like installing the bulk and weight of a .91, with the power of a .65 in it. Take this in no way to be a slam against Saito, as they are my engine maker of choice. Most of their engines have a higher power to weight ratio than the competion, the .65 is an exception. I think the .65 is still a good engine for a Cub, which can use the nose ewight and doesn't need all that much power.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:50 AM
Anderson

Default Saito Fuel Consumption

Jnjong,
with regard to the engine question, I think Corsair Jock said most of why I made the change. I will add that I was spoiled with the O.S. 52, getting consistant 15 minute flights. The saito gave me 7 minute flights. Im hoping to get optimum weight out of the .70 OS and with the added power to run a 12 or 13 inch 3 blade for scale looks.

Anderson
Old 08-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Dobbis

Default Weight problem ?

Just finnished my Kyosho Corsair. Building one of these kits is basically pure assembling. I have a Saito 72 and hobbico retracts. When putting the model on the scale it reads 3550 grams, while the kit is specified to 2800-3200 grams.
I would expect the higher number to be including retracts. Yet I have only added a onboard glow system ( about 100 g in total )

Where does the other 250 g surplus weight come from ? Does Kyosho expect builders to remove any material to obtain specified weight, or what ?Anybodu with the same problem ?

At least, the CG is right without any lead, but I have a model ready for its maiden flight being 10 % heavier than specified by Kyosho, increasing wing loading to almost 100g/sqdm from 90 g/sqdm.

Anyone with a equally heavy Corsair that actually flies (good?)

Dobbis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.