Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Sundancer, Who's got one?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Sundancer, Who's got one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Sundancer, Who's got one?

I am picking this plane up from the LHS on thursday, been watching for it since Toledo. Sig started out saying it was designed for a 2.4 CI engine but the box now says 3.2 to 4.3. I may have to get a new engine .
Old 07-13-2004, 08:32 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Sig Sundancer, Who's got one?

I have been looking at the glossy pics of this one also...can't wait for you to let us know if it is worth it!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:17 AM
cstevec

Saw the plane yesterday in the HS and got to touch it! Covering was flawless, good hardware (as is usual with Sig, BIG, and very nice. Pictures didn't do it justice. I was hoping for an airfoiled tail with huge elevators like an Ultimate but this one is flat. The surfaces should be large enough to give a good combination of aerobatics and yet manageable too. 4 wing servo's and good size ailerons so I am sure it will be a spinning fool. Good news is it is not another Pitts or Ultimate. I'll post some pics Thursday or Friday when I get it home and have time to give it a good going over. At least with a Sig ARF you know it is going to be well built and fly well.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:39 AM
mikemnh
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Guys, check under Sun Dancer (two words). Myself and some other guys have posted quite a bit about the Sig Sun Dancer, including a lot about the in-flight detachable top wing!!!! I posted pictures of my fix while we wait for Sig to figure it out. Don'y know if any have made it through the first flight.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIG is putting together an upgrade for the upper wing attachment and will be sending them out soon. Anyone who has one of these planes should contact the LHS where they bought it or SIG directly before flying it.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:03 PM
cstevec

LHS contacted me today and informed me that SIG had told them to inform all owners of the plane not to fly it until they sent out a mod for the cabanes. I called them and they said the fix is simple and is being sent to the hobby shops. They said I should have the parts by next week.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 AM
cstevec

Recieved my new wing/cabane mounting screws last night so I am commencing to assemble the plane. I will post pictures of the replacment parts tonight so you can see what the difference is.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:57 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Let's us know how she flies when you are done putting her together.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
P-51B

Just checking to see if there are any updates.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:21 PM
cstevec

Sorry guys, we had a fire at my house the other night (lightning) and it kinda put the kibosh to my modeling a little bit. Fortunately there wasn't much damage to the house itself and I am just about ready to get going again. I have a self imposed deadline to hahat ve this thing ready for the Bealton Fly-in hosted by the NVRC Aug 27th-29th, so short of another fire it will be ready before then. I will have to forgo the blow by blow description of the build I was going to do though. i will try to get some pics up though.

On a lighter note, SIG has been very helpful and they swear up and down the plane does not need anything larger then a 3.2 for true 3D performance so I may wind up having to buy another plane for my 4.2 I had ordered for this one.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:49 PM
P-51B

Oh man, sorry to hear about the fire!

Maybe I can come see it at the Bealton Fly in, if I am in town (right now it looks good), since my main club is just across the street...so to speak.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:38 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test flew Sun Dancer this past weekend. Using G-62, 18.5 pounds dry, unlimited vertical, plus very nice slow flight, all in one plane.

It did need 6 ounces of lead in the tail plus battery as far back as I could reach to balance.

A 50 cc gas engine (ZDZ, BME, 3W, etc) would be just right for this plane, but I just happened to have a G-62 on the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49374.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	168739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40806.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	168740  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:20 AM
cstevec

Good to hear. I hava a Brison $.2 on order for mine but they are back ordered so I am going to go with a 3.2 (50cc) instead as I need to have it done this soon. Glad to hear you think a 50cc will be good for it.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:03 AM
admw12
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Mr. Pettit,
I am in the market for a Sun Dancer and I want to get the best engine for my buck. I have an opportunity to pick up a 50cc fuji on sale and would like to know if you think it could get the Sun Dancer to hover. Your 62 sounds unreal with all its power, but I cant afford one. What do you think?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

The Fuji 50, while not an all-out powerhouse, is a fine engine. It may also be a little on the heavy side too.

It might have enough power to hover the Sun Dancer, but either more engine power or less engine weight would be a guarantee.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

nice pics Dick! I am contemplating one possibly this winter. Maybe a DA-50 for it? Will see what the wallet sais when the time comes

Gorgeous plane though and a bit different than the Eagles that are all over the place or the Pitts.

matt
Old 09-03-2004, 01:07 PM
cstevec

I am halfway through the construction of the Sun Dancer now & overall I have been very impressed. A couple of inconsistancies with the manual but that is to be expected with a new plane I guess. The cabane fix was very simple, just substitute the new screws for the old ones. I cancelled the order for my Brison 4.2 yesterday and just decided to just go with the 3.2 I already had as the guys at Sig keep telling me that it will be more then sufficient. Good thing too I think as I am having to do a few mods for the pitt style muffler to clear the firewall braces and most of the nose ring is going to be removed to make room for the prop drive to clear. I ordered a Sullivan skywriter smoke system for the plane, it just seems to scream for it and there appears to be plenty of room for it in the fuse. I am thinking I need to steal your idea of adding pinstriping to seperate the colors as it really adds to the look of the plane and doesn't take very long to do.

One question Mr. Pettit, how did your plane balance with the G-62? There is a lot going on inside of mine and I wwould love to be able to balance the plane by moving the batteries around and not have to re-arrange the guts 10 times to get it to fly reliably. I built the Sig Extra 300 last year with gas (ZDZ 40) and wound up putting the battery 15" behind the wing to get it to balance.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:17 PM
admw12

Hey Steve,
Please let us know how the 50cc does. I am picking one of these planes up next week and am still contemplating on which engine to use. Everyone raves about the DA50, but it is only 3.0ci, where SIG is saying that a 3.2 is needed for 3D. I was thinking a 3.6 (60cc) would be more than enough, but with the extra weight it will raise the wing loading and I want to keep that as low as possible. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:07 PM
cstevec

Glad to let you know just as soon as I can get it in the air admw12. I would have held out for the 4.2 but Brison is waffling about when they will be ready and I also need an engine for a 35% I am assembling this winter so to conserve money I just decided to go with the 3.2. I have to have this thing ready for an EAA airshow on the 19th I have been asked to perform an RC demo at and I didn't want to wait until the last minute only to find out that the engine wouldn't be ready or the plane flew like a dog. Hopefully the plane will do what it needs to do with the 3.2 but at any rate, I'll let you know. I might get to maiden it on Monday if the hurricane doesn' ruin the weekend.

DA 50's are excellent engines, I just hate cutting holes in the firewall for the carb and the extra hassle of setting up a good throttle linkage. The perfect engine for the plane would probably be the ZDZ 60 but then you have to deal with the firewall issue. Awesome power though they can be a pain in the arse to start sometimes.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:20 AM
mikemnh

I finally got my Quadra 52 running ok and the plane flies great with it. It will barely hold a hover. Q52 is turning 20x10 @ 6,400 rpm, fairly weak for a 52cc. The plane weighs in at 17.5 lbs with 6 ounces of lead in the tail. That's with a 4 pound (C&H ignition with aluminum side muffler) Q52 in the nose. Q52 continus to haunt me, one dead stick last week, ground strap on plug severed in flight (vibration I think). Made runway, no damage other than slight split in side of one wheel pant. Second dead stick while doing aerobatics on Friday 9/3, got a cross runway landing, but dropped/stalled last 3 feet, flattened landing gear and some cracks in lower cowl. Reason for dead stick, unknown!!! The plane was performing beautifully when the Q52 ran. Although it would barely hover, it would perform all non 3D aerobatics with ease. The color scheme is stunning in the air, really an eyeful!! I am trying to decide on a NEW engine (repeat 1,000 times, I will never buy a used engine again). I think I want to stick with a side mount carb because I don't want to cut a huge hole in the firewall. Any thoughts on a good (wait, change that to excellent) 3.2 or 4.2? Also, does anyone have any tips on cutting a huge rear carb hole in a ARF firewall without damaging the plane?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:05 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

If it were me, I would get the Brison 3.2 or else the DA 50. You can get the long standoffs for the DA and only have to cut a hole for the throttle and choke linkage. I think it puts the spinner backplate 6 3/4 inches from the firewall or engine box--If that is not too long.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:43 AM
admw12

Thanks Steve, I am anxious to hear how it does. I am worried that the Quadra 52 will barely hold a hover, but the guys at the field are saying that the DA50 is much more powerful than it's size suggests, and that the 2.5 lbs of weight reduction will really help the hover.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:14 AM
mikemnh

Hey Admw12, a thought on the Quadra 52. It is probably the weakest 50 you can get. It turns a Zinger or Bambula 20x10 @ 6400 rpm in the Sundancer. I'm pretty sure my ZDZ40 was turning the Bambula 20x10 at close to 6,900 in my WM GS Mustang. It would seem to me that the DA50 should pull harder than the ZDZ50!! I would get the DA50 in a minute if I decide to deal with the rear carb issue. Mike M.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes, that is weak. Brison 2.4 will get 7400 RPM on a APC 20x10 propeller.
I have thought about this plane as well. I like the large wing area.
How does it ground handle and how does it handle slow flight?
Does it do 3D?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:44 PM
RVator

Hey cstevec I plan to attend the Va EAA fly-in on the 18th. I see the Hanover R/C club will be in the airshow. I hope to see your Sundancer fly there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.