Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick super cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick super cub

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Thanks Jon, wish some of the other guy's would post their pic's...haven't seen or heard much lately.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

Just an FYI... The only single four stroke I have found to fit inside the cowl with out cutting is an older YS 120. I tried an OS 120, Saito 120 and 150. The YS fits great, and the thrust washer is centered in the cowl. I dont know if the YS 140 is any bigger, but that could be a good choice as well.

Brian
Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 PM
builder jim

BUD, just got message about the edr, yes, I THOUGTH THE PLUG WIRES WERNT GOING ON EITHER TOOK A PLUG OUT AND TRIED IT AND IT DID LITE! THEN FELT HOW THE WIRE WENT ON AND REALIZED THAT THEY FIT OK. JUST LEAVES, ONE WONDERING? hey your scheme is very nice looking and what did you do it with? I did mine in avait scheme and the interior the same , like the alaska bush planes, seen earlier in this thread, speaking of what happened to the thread? everybody done with thiers? ive pulled the eng and winterized it and put the plane up since i dont fly and my sons do the flying and they live out of town, so ive went back to the piper clipper and the clipped wing mono coupe, just about ready to cove them , when shes out of town , smell thing with her hey thanks to all , the cub is a sweety and to anwser a previos question ive used jr 4721 servos on the rudder and elv, 537 on the ails thank you jim
Old 10-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Bud Faulkner

Jim, I pm'd Dick Pettit about the wires also and he said you have to pull back the wire lightly as you connect them to the plug...they actually clip on. Not in the instructions! I just painted mine with what appears to be a standard style on super cubs. I found hundreds of pictures of them on www.supercub.org/index.php colors vary but the pattern is similiar. Not entering any scale contests so don't need doc's. Was going to use PPG paint and my new HVLP gun but got lazy and just used metallic blue in LustreKote. Need to get my graphics done now. Not gonna rush now that winters setting in, gives me something to do when the snows come. Like I don't have other unfinished projects

Bud
Old 10-15-2004, 04:29 PM
bjohnson80
My Feedback: (63)

I saw the new Dave Patrick 1/4 Scale Super Cub clipped wing version at the Chicago show yesterday. It looks really cool! He has it in a white and red scheme as well as blue and white. The cowl looks a little different, and it has no flaps. The one on display was powered by a Hacker brushless motor and a 10s 3p Li Poly battery. Very cool!

Brian
Old 10-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Handy Andy

I am new on the forum, bear with me.
I just received my DPM super cub, it looks great. I bought a YS 140sport for this plane. I hope it was a good choice, any coments will be appreciated. I read this thread and note that most are using a twin or a saito 150. I would like to hear from anyone familiar with a YS.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Bud Faulkner

Welcome Andy, I hope you'll get some positive feedback on your engine choice and hope you'll also keep us posted on your progress.

Bud
Old 10-26-2004, 03:06 PM
builder jim

WOW bud nobodys posting anymore about this super cub , no pics no nothing , sure is a great plane, and the assy is good and flys like the real one, been watching the sky shark christen eagle thread as to the building, not going as this thread has yet. yes ive got one , the wife will be out of town for three weeks, so I can cover the piper first before starting anything else, hey have a good one, jim PS. your cub looks really nice in the blue
Old 10-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks builder jim, just have to come up now with some $ to get my graphics. Beside my spinner that's all I need to get mine done, finally got my EDR for it. I haven't been working on it as I promised a friend i'd finish his patty wagstaff extra first...can't wait to get back to mine. I was hoping also for more posts here but been kinda slow. Maybe now that winter building season is here something will show up. Take care and enjoy your new christen eagle. PS hope to see some pic's of the piper when your done.

Bud
Old 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Dave Patrick models?
I want to enquire about the Cub but don't want the expense of a long overseas phonecall/

Ari
Old 10-31-2004, 10:20 AM
scott hayden

Maiden Flight

My maiden flight was sweet. The DPM PA18 flies great!!! Sorry no photos at this time because I made my maiden flights without the cowl. I am waiting to receive a flexible exhaust to maintain scale appearance (didnt want large muffler sticking out)

My plane has a Saito 120 and I am using 20 oz tank. I had to place a 3000 Mah battery under the tank to get the plane to balance out at the recommended value.

Flight Conditions: No wind, 32 degrees (maine)

Take Off:

Uneventful and very scale. 1/2 Throttle. Tail comes quickly. Aplly slight back pressure and the Cub flies itself off nicely.

Cruise:

For those wondering if the 120 is too small. Dont worry. The airplane flies very well on the 120. The most common mistake by pilots flying scale planes is that they fly their planes TOO FAST. This is especially true of Cub pilots. Even with the little 120 I had to throttle back to around 1/4 throttle to fly this handsome bird at scale speeds. Dont be scared to slow this plane up.

Approach:

For a Cub, this airplane is fairly clean. It does not bleed off airspeed as quickly as other cubs. Slowing the Cub on approach is the key to a good landing. A fast approach will result in overshooting your touchdown. No flap approaches are very stable. I would suggest mixing a little down elevator if you plan on using the flaps.

Slips:

This airplane slips as well as the real plane. As you turn final slowly add opposite rudder and a wonderful slip will develop. It doesn't get any more real than this.

Landing:

This airplane is a dream to land. Wheel landings and 3 points are very easy to do. Remember, you must slow this bird down to fly a proper 3 point landing. That stick should be in your belly, I mean your elevator thumb should be all the way back as your Cub stalls in its 3 point position a 1/2 inch above the ground. If your a little too fast you will ballon or you will bounch. Slow her up and stall it on and you will score a 10 every time.

Loops:

Very scale at reduced power settings. I even had to throttle the 120 back a little when doing scale loops.

Stall Turns:

Excellent!!!! My Cub tracked perfectly strait on the vertical. She hung their beautifully as I kicked the rudder in. She reversed direction on point and recovered with ease.

Spins:

Very scale and recovers with ease as release rudder and elevator inputs. Rotation ends in a 1/2 turn.

Rolls:

Not much to say here except to say it rolls like a cub. You will need rudder.

Conclussion:

A Great ARF. I really loved the quality of the aircraft. The struts and gear are a masterpiece. Throw out the screws used to mount the strut fittings to the fuselage floor. They are very weak and will twist off if you are not very careful. Flies as well a 1/3 scale Balsa USA. It is worth the price tag. Hesitate no longer. Go get one.

I will send some pictures when I some nice scale shots. My flying season in Maine is coming to an end so it may not be until next season.

Scott
Old 10-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks for that nice report Scott....we await your pictures.

Bud
Old 11-01-2004, 06:58 AM
JimRose
My Feedback: (6)

Maiden fight

Stood in front of plane, (looking at it from the front),[X(][],not thinking!!, checked elevator, good. checked rudder,good. checked throttle, good. checked flaps, good. looked at alerons, looked good. fueled er up hooked up the glow driver started the engine, warmed up the engine.taxied out (on grass)

Can any one guess what I did?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OUCH!! Ailerons Backwards!!! Self inflickted distruction!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Wayne M

Hi Scott. I'm using the 120 in my plane as well. Did you experience any difficulties in terms to the engine fitting inside the cowl. I recall one fella had fitting problems with the 150. What sort of muffler extension are you using. Slimeline Pitts perhaps! What about fuel tank. 20 oz in mine. What sort of servos? The provided screws for mounting the engine to the mounts are too big for the Saito. Can someone drill to size. I'll wait for the pictures. Thanks for the report.

Wayne
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 AM
hdkeney
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: scott hayden

My plane has a Saito 120 and I am using 20 oz tank.
Nice report Scott. I searched the web for Saito 120 Twins and couldn't find any, so I assume that your 120 is a single cylinder.

I have a single Saito 120 that I would like to put in my DPM Super Cub.

Did you have to do any surgery at all to your engine cowling to make your 120 fit inside? If she is totally enclosed in the cowl, how was the clearance between the engine and the cowl?

Thanks - Howard D. Keney
Old 11-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Bud Faulkner

Jim, don't tell us you brought it home in pieces? If so how bad?

Howard.....I may be wrong but I seem to remember at one time Saito had a 120 twin, probably discontinued, I have the O.S. 160 twin in mine with no clearance problems at all.

Bud
Old 11-01-2004, 12:28 PM
hdkeney
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Bud,

Thanks for the reply.
Different topic question. How did you get the picture of that blue and white Super Cub under your type of membership in your postings?

Howard
Old 11-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Bud Faulkner

Howard, on the twin engine....I looked at some stuff I printed out a few years ago on Saito and they made a 90...100 and 130 twin. I got the avitar from www.supercub.org tons of super cub picture's there. I saved it and reduced it to fit my avitar. Wish I could say it was mine. []

Bud
Old 11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
JimRose
My Feedback: (6)

Well Bud,

Done did a cartwheel to the right on the wing, the wing from the fuse, part of the fuse went with it (ripped the right side of the fuse assemly) Broke part of the fuse at the base were the stab is and cracked the wing were the wing tube is.Destroyed the wing end / tip. Broke the rudder also. Well ALL is well now rebuilt and have had about 20 some odd flights on it. Flies great at just above idle with the flaps down, put that 182 twin in it. with an 18X6 prop, fast at full throttle

ORIGINAL: Bud Faulkner

Jim, don't tell us you brought it home in pieces? If so how bad?

Howard.....I may be wrong but I seem to remember at one time Saito had a 120 twin, probably discontinued, I have the O.S. 160 twin in mine with no clearance problems at all.

Bud
Old 11-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Bud Faulkner

Wow Jim,
Sorry to hear about the damage but sounds like you're right back in the game [8D]
Just happy for you it wasn't totalled.

Bud
Old 11-07-2004, 05:09 PM
scott hayden

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the belated reply. I have been out of town.

My Saito 120 fit fine in the cowl per DPM instructions. I did not have to cut the cowl. The engine is obviously side mounted but it is not at a strick 90 degrees from vertical. I stood the fuselage vertical and sat the engine and mount on the firewall. I then placed the cowl. I had to rotate the engine slightly to get the best fit in the cowl. I am centered on the cowl hub opening. My plane tracks perfectly strait on the vertical.

I am using a saito exhaust extention bringing the extention strait down to exit out of the right side of the cowl. I flew this morning for the second time. First time with cowl on. I did not get any good in flight shots but I do have a few photos for you. What a great flying plane. I did touch and goes and practiced my slips. It slips like the real thing.

Here are a few photos. Hopefully I will get some good flight photos at some point.

Scott

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84391.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	190754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61341.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	190755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68393.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	190756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85556.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	190757  
Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Bud Faulkner

Nice pictures Scott...looks like the real thing sitting there,thanks. What spinner did you use and what size prop/pitch.

Bud
Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
scott hayden

Hi Bud,

I am at work so I dont know for sure on the prop. It is a 15x8 or 16x8 I think. It is the recommended prop that DPM mentions they used with their Saito 120.

I forgot to mentionin my previous post, I am using Hitec 605's for servos. These servos came out of a 1/4 scale T-Craft I used to own.

Scott
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Bud Faulkner

Thanks Scott, i'll be using an 18/6 with my twin. My servos are tower TS-70MG 106.7 oz. I normally use futaba but due to the high cost anymore especially with the high torque and metal gears I decided to try towers.

Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.