Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP Cessna Skymaster

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP Cessna Skymaster

Old 03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
kinverflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Cessna Skymaster

Not noticed any change in the C of G even running different size engines with different fuel consumptions.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:56 AM
f14mech2005

I think "Tom in Cincy Super Contributor" hit the nail on the head. You have to work on removing weight as far back from the CG as you can. If you look at the plane there isn't a whole lot you can do that doesn't require alot of work. I didn't weigh my nose weight......I started with a 2 lbs sinker bolted to a plate I made in the nose and removed enough to balance the plane. I bet it came out to 18-20 oz. A couple of weeks ago my tank stopper on the rear tank came loose. What a mess! The stopper plate that came with the plane was stripped out. I guess I tightened it too much and it finally just failed. As far as tank quantity effects on the CG. I have 2 identical engines and they run exactly the same. The front engine will be 1/4 full on landing and the rear tank will be 1/2 full. I cant tell any difference in flight. This plane seems to have a lot of wing and will float better than any other warbird at our field......well except maybe the really big ones. So go ahead and weigh down the nose till you get what you want on the CG. I still want to put gun pods on mine and I don't think it will be a weight problem. I wanted to figure the exact wing loading, I still want to, but some of the guys at the field said I was being too "technical". Just fly it! They told me......
Old 04-23-2006, 07:43 PM
timmca
My Feedback: (5)

Has anybody put elevator servos forward in the nacelles beside the throttle servos instead of having an elevator servo in the tail? I am curious, because this could save some tail weight.

Tim
Old 04-23-2006, 09:30 PM
forestroke

when you refer to 10 degrees up elevator, that means that on the maiden flight it wanted to dive? while i've been flying for a long time, i'd to dial in the wrong trim and have it stall immediately from take-off :-)

how does this trim affect inverted flight? thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Dale Campbell
My Feedback: (6)

I finished my KMP 337 model to look like the full size 337H I own. The only problem I found with this model is the fiberglass between side windows is very weak and cracked when I was handling fuselage. I added fiber and resin between all side windows and solved that problem. Dale Campbell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18727.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	450747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14349.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	450748  
Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dale, did you strip the ARF and glass and paint or did you just recover it to match your real plane?

Looks great!

Don
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Dale Campbell

The fuselage and tail booms are fiberglass. I Sanded them with 400 grit sand paper primed and painted white first. Then I taped and painted the gold narrow bands. I then taped off all white and gold and painted the teal. The wing tips are also fiberglass and I did the same thing. I then removed the monocote from horizonal stabalizer and recovered with a light weight cloth and painted it Teal. The wings I left white as they were. I did cut the black monocote back 1/2 inch on leading edge to match my deicing boots I have on the leading edge on the full scale 337. I put a cabin floor in and painted it teal to match my full scale. I made seats and painted them to match the full scale teal and cream color. The final touch, I took a photo of the instrument panel and sized it to fit the model. Dale Campbell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31157.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	451381  
Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Timoteo
My Feedback: (3)

Nice!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Dale Campbell

Nitro-Planes also makes a 337 the same size as KMP model that I purchased. It is easy to assemble and has all bulsa and plywood constuction. It also needs a lot of lead in nose to fly. I put twin OS 70 II Surpass engines in that model. Flies great with lots of power. You have to add rudders to the plane it did not come with them. The detail is not as good as the KMP model. It is $100 cheaper than the KMP ship. Dale Campbell
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

I am starting this plane. Much feedback, thank you.
My question: someone posted that the aft airscoop going from the wing t.e. to the fuselage was 1/4" too high when meeting the fuselage. Mine is the same way. Am prepared to sand off the excess on the bottom of the scoop and reinforce from the inside...any input from anyone would be appreciated.
thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
cjtyped

Starting my skymaster. The aft airscoop is about 1/4" above where it joins the fueslage. Am planning on sanding and sanding until it fits right; this will remove the bottom part of the scoop where it attaches to the wing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 AM
MMallory

Just make sure the wing is firmly attached while you trial fit the scoop so you don't wind up with a scoop too short.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
vett
My Feedback: (37)

Hi everyone, I am building the Aviomodelli Cessna Skymaster Kit but there are no instructions in english, would anyone have a set or a copy.
Thanks for any help, Fred
Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

I have ordered a KMP Skymaster and was thinking of putting a OS 90 four stroke pumper in the front
and a OS 70 four stroke pumper in the back. Will this work??? Or should I put a 90 in the back also??
Will this plane fly on a 70 pushing in the back alone??
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
baddley

Hi
Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
baddley

Ok how did that happen

Has anbody built the nirioplanes 337. Will 2 OS 46 ax's pull this plane or do i need more motor. I like the looks of this plane really well. How is the quality compared to the KMP and what is the ease of building.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
vettedriver

Scott, I had the honor of test flying the Nitro models with twin o.s.46's powering it, plenty of power and also had the rear engine quit in flight and the airplane flew fine with one engine, from what the builder told me is the manual is of no help, he also mounted the servos inside the booms with control rods to move the elevators he also cut the rudders and did the same for those, it looks good but the rudders are to small to effect ground handling and have little effect in the air. The airplane draws a crowd with both twins humming, if you mount the rear engine upright with the head exposed cooling is greatly improved, hardware for the arf as always is subject to your expectations. if you have any more questions please ask and i will do my best to help.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Dale Campbell

I have built both KMP and NITRO-PLANES model 337. I fly my NITRO version a lot. I put 2 -70 OS 4 stroke engines in, and have taken off with only 1 running. I needed a longer ground roll on 1 engine but it got off and flew fine. I adjusted my rear engine to quite on my landing, because it has to much power and I kept overshooting the field on landing. I installed rudders on both tails and they work great. The only problem I have is 2 engines vibrate a lot and keep backing out all the screws. I finally put rubber grommets on a lot off them. If I did it over I would mount both engines with rubber mounts to get ride of that problem. I also cut open a much larger hole in the air scoop over the wing to get more air to rear engine. I have a full scale 337 that has the same problem keeping the rear engine cool enough. Dale Campbell
Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
timmca
My Feedback: (5)

Dale - for what reasons do you prefer to fly the NITRO version over the KMP?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Dale Campbell

I built one to fly and the other to hang in my office to look at. The one in my office I put a instrument panel, an interior and total paint job to match my full scale aircraft. Dale
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
cjtyped

My Skymaster is close to ready for maiden.
Can you all give me a more accuracte idea for balance point? Control surface throws?
I have 2 Magnum .91 fs, standard servos ( 10 ), 1700 maH NiCd battery. Tru turn spinners.
My only disappointment with the plane was the upper airscoop being 1/4 " too high, and the main landing gear fuselage cover being white, when the rest of the fuselage was blue. I ended up painting the whole blue, because i couldn't get it matched to my satisfaction.
It came out decent though, and would like feedback from the above questions to assure my success.
Thank You in Advance.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Cg is 105 mm from the leading edge. The ailerons are are very small and I would recommend maximum available deflection that your setup will allow.
The elevator reacts pretty normal. 1/2 up and down with some expo to start. Be prepared to add up trim to the elevator on maiden. If you use flaps you will
need to mix in some up elevator. The biggest problem I faced with this plane was keeping the engines cool. I added baffles and it took care of the problems.

Good luck, it flys great...
Tom
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
lasuen

Hi...how do you balance this plane, do you pick it up from the wing tips, seems like they will not resist and break, can I use a CG machine???...it seems like the stops in the CG machine will just go through the balsa....
How are u guys balancing this plane???
Mine came un very heavy, havenĀ“t put it on a scale yet, but IĀ“m using and RCV 120 SP engine in front and a RCV 90 SP on the back...maybe this way I will not have to add too much lead up front, any suggestions / observations regarding this setup?...

thanks in advance for your collaboration
Javier
Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Dale Campbell

Put a piece of thin model plywood on each wing at CG, held in place with tape. It will not affect the CG. Now you have a strong point to put your balance machine against. I have two 91 four strokes on my bird and had to put a large hunk of lead in nose cowling to balance. Good luck, Dale Campbell
Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Sure glad this thread is still alive on the KMP Skymaster.
I received mine and tonight I set up the booms onto the main center wing.
Sounds like I will need to use my incidence meters to get things right. A dry fit first...then glue??
I sure wish KMP would have done some extra work on this ARF with wing dowels and bolt holes.
They could have doweled the booms to the center wing till the glue dryed...but it would have been wrong anyway.
Wish me luck!
Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.