Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 no Fun!

So I maidened my new H9 Funtana 90 yesterday. Flew great! Balanced at 6 5/8 which was perfect. One of my buddies was flying it (5th flight) when the left aileron servo mount totally ripped out of the wing taking the aileron with it and ripping off most of the bottom covering. The plane was headed straight into the ground and in my mind it was a total loss before it even hit. Just before the plane disappeared into the ground the guy that was flying it regained control and gently circled it to the runway for a safe landing. The left wing was ripped apart inside with broken ribs. The top covering was still intact but the bottom covering was mostly gone. There was no other damage to the plane. I will call Horizon today and see if they will replace the wings for me.

Thanks to Bill O'Neil for landing the plane safely after such a catastrophic failure!

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 08:27 AM
HighSierra
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Funtana 90 no Fun!

pictures?!

Good to hear it was saved!!
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen instances where large control surfaces, coupled with higher than recommended airspeed had caused control surface flutter, which was strong enough to pull the guts out of the wing almost immediately, without much warning.

See what Horizon says about it.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 AM
racer8297

Actually I didn't even fly it at WOT at all. It was the first day out with it and didn't lean on it yet. I will bring the digital home from work tonight and post pics. Will call Horizon and let you know what happens.

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 AM
racer8297

Just spoke to Matt at Horizon customer service. He spent a few moments gathering some info about the problem. Then he said they were shipping me a new wing set today and then they are issuing a call tag to get the damaged part back.

Now that's great service!

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 01:57 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

GOOD for you. It's nice when Customer Service is available and in such a timely fashion too. Glad it is going your way on this one. HORIZON has great CS as you now know.

Happy flights...
Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
racer8297

Here are some pics of the end result. Looks like the servo tray blew off taking the aileron with it. Notice how the hinges are ripped off. All 5 are ripped and all the glue joints held.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13561.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	157787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40340.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	157788   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28600.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	157789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55740.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	157790  
Old 07-27-2004, 08:26 AM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

How long did it take for horzion to make good on it? Did you report it?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
racer8297

Startsivs,

See my reply in your other thread under ARF's.

Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 12:41 PM
george wendt
My Feedback: (3)

MY FUNTANA 90 HAD A ELEVATOR FAILURE ON IT 5TH FLIGHT ONLY BY GRACE OF GOD I GOT IT DOWN. WHEN I CALLED HANGAR 9 I WAS TOLD THAT THAY WOULD SEND A CALL TAG FOR THE MODEL AND LOOK AT THE PROBUM AND LET ME KNOW IF THAY WOULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. SO I HAVE TO TAKE ALL MY RADIO GEAR AND ENGINE OUT AND THEN FIND A BIG BOX AND PACK IT ALL UP JUST TOSEE IF THERE GOING TO MAKE IT RIGHT. SEEM LIKE A LOT OF WORK JUST IN HOPE THAY WILL DO SOMETHING.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
racer8297

My new wings arrived yesterday. I am reinforcing the servo holders because I think that the flex in the rails are the culprit in my case. I am hoping to have it ready to go for this weekend. The replacement wing set came with new ailerons but did not include the wing fillets. I cut off the fillets from the old wings on a band saw and will re-attach them to the new wings tonight.

George, what kind of elevator failure did you have? Please be more specific. AND TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK!

Jim
Old 08-03-2004, 01:23 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry to hear about your wing. I have not even put mine together yet, but I do think the servo tray could have been more structured by design. I plan to add some thin CA to the rib to try to stiffen it up and maybe add some support. I may just cut away a little of the covering and beef up that area since some have been having problems. Some do fly their planes too fast, but the servo tray needs to be beefed up IMHO so that is why I plan to add CA to the ribs.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:14 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to seal all the control gaps.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 PM
flying klown

Here we go again..BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.. There is amount of planes (Funtana .90) That are defected. Some seem not to be. Some are. There are too many problems with it not to be. Period.

Put Digital servos in and spend the money. You will still have the problems....If you get a defected one.

If you do not think there are defected ones out there and it is all the owners fault then you do not have an open mind.

I mean come on guys it has been a month and I have read here over8 planes having the same problems.
You got ot admit there is a problem with a batch of them. Not everybody is doing the same thing!

If nothing is wrong with your plane I am jealous and wish I would have got a good one! But Please....Don't bash. It will come out in the end that somnething was indeed wrong with a batch. It is being looked into as we speak. So before you bash. Wait awhile and see....
Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 PM
watso
My Feedback: (17)

I am not bashing anyone. but these planes are truley amazing. if you want to get into 3d this plane is it. if any of you have lost a plane due to wing problems you owe it to yourself to build the new one you get from horizon. maybe you will get lucky and get a good one like most of us have. you will not be dissapointed. and maybe all of this bashing could stop. FUN-tana I STILL LOVE THIS PLANE!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 PM
flying klown

I am with you. The only thing I asked was is anyone having the same problem back the day my wing came off. I paid a 30 year old builder to put mine together and knew it would be right. Nevertheless. I started getting bshed! I wasn't sure excatly what went into it but I gave Horiazon his name and number and he said he would stand behind his work and tell them exactly how what he used.

I could nopt answer alot of the questions and I got bashed here. Horizon will do the right thing. I want to get mine fixed and fly! But I do want to say that there is a problem with some of these planes.

There is amount of planes (Funtana .90) That are defected. Some seem not to be. Some are. There are too many problems with it not to be. Period.

Put Digital servos in and spend the money. You will still have the problems....If you get a defected one.

If you do not think there are defected ones out there and it is all the owners fault then you do not have an open mind.

I mean come on guys it has been a month and I have read here over 8 planes having the same problems.
You got to admit there is a problem with a batch of them. Not everybody is doing the same thing!

If nothing is wrong with your plane I am jealous and wish I would have got a good one! But Please....Don't bash. It will come out in the end that somnething was indeed wrong with a batch. It is being looked into as we speak. So before you bash. Wait awhile and see....

All I can say is COME ON HORIZON DO THE RIGHT THING! YOU KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM! IF YOU ARE LISTENING...TAKE AND DEAL WITH IT! DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 12:31 AM
r180reef
My Feedback: (7)

start why do you think there is a bad run of planes. How many planes do you think are in that first run. I bet it is safe to say that it is 1000 or more. If there are 10 of those planes that came out with bad balsa, or what ever the case that is 1%. What you are expecting is 100% QC. Show me a company that doesn't let anything slip through and I will show you a company that is full of SH*T. You need to back off. If you had a bad plane I am sure Horizon will replace it. I work in a hobby shop and have to go through the same 1 for 1 exchange for bad merchandise. If they didn't do that every BOZO that dumb thumbed a plane, or over sped the plane and a wing came apart due to flutter, they would not be selling these lanes for $210 and they wouldn't be in buisness long because they gave all there product away. Your problem is one of very few, I doubt that the LHS said "Here buy this plane that is going to crash on your 5th flight". Know one knew you had a bad kit, if so you would have never seen it. The fact that these planes make it here in as good of shape as they do is a mirracle, seeing as they travel around 10,000 miles before you ever put your sweaty hands on it. You need to grow up and let the process take its cource. If there was a problem I am sure they will make good. IF YOU WERE AN IDIOT AND KILLED THE PLANE I AM SURE THEY WILL GLADLY SELL YOU ANOTHER. Grow up and quit winning.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
spookymadman

I agree with starts. There is a batch that are bad. There have been around 8 with problems. If you think that is normal then somethiong is wrong!

It is time for Horizon to issue a recall on these planes!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:40 AM
watso

horizon can't have mine i like it to much. thinking about buying another one and put on a four stroke. so i can have one with a four stroke and a two stroke. this plane is awsome.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
watso

FUN-tana
Old 08-04-2004, 06:00 AM
spookymadman

Well I hyope you get a good one and not one fromn the defected batch. OUCH how that would hurt! Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:15 AM
DTB

Startsvis and Spooky, I'm not the type to bash and I haven't bashed you and normally wouldn't make comments to you guys, but you guys have been whinning all over RCU. I understand that you had a bad experience with your plane and I'm sorry about that, but that does not mean that every thread on RCU with the word "Funtana" in it has to be taken over by you guys stating that it is bad or a piece of crap. There may be a defect, then again there may not be a defect. You guys really need to lay off all the whinning. Obviously, some are enjoying their planes and some are getting ready to put theirs together and unfortunately some have had bad experiences. Honestly, 1-2% of the planes that have had problems is no reason for Hanger 9 to do a recall.

I wish you guys well and hope you get your planes going again soon, but I personally have gotten tired of reading replies that state, "Defect, Defect, Defect" and "I told you so." No one likes a smart @$$ guys. I really hate to say it, but grow up and act your age. You are making too big of a deal over this topic. This thread is for all comments, but I think everyone has heard your side, "DEFECT".

Thanks and I hope you get your planes going again soon,
DTB
Old 08-04-2004, 06:32 AM
wagas

ORIGINAL: george wendt

MY FUNTANA 90 HAD A ELEVATOR FAILURE ON IT 5TH FLIGHT ONLY BY GRACE OF GOD I GOT IT DOWN. WHEN I CALLED HANGAR 9 I WAS TOLD THAT THAY WOULD SEND A CALL TAG FOR THE MODEL AND LOOK AT THE PROBUM AND LET ME KNOW IF THAY WOULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. SO I HAVE TO TAKE ALL MY RADIO GEAR AND ENGINE OUT AND THEN FIND A BIG BOX AND PACK IT ALL UP JUST TOSEE IF THERE GOING TO MAKE IT RIGHT. SEEM LIKE A LOT OF WORK JUST IN HOPE THAY WILL DO SOMETHING.

Posting pics of george Wendt's elevator failure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94689.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	160487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83346.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	160488  
Old 08-04-2004, 06:40 AM
DTB

ORIGINAL: wagas

ORIGINAL: george wendt

Posting pics of george Wendt's elevator failure.
George can you show a clear picture of your elevator control horn?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the pics of George's elevator failure I notice a couple things..

1. The failure was outside of the joint between the fuse and the stab, so it's unlikely that it was caused by the builder scoring or cutting the wood when removing the covering.

2. I don't see that the hinge-line is sealed. This is EXTREMELY important as airplanes get larger, and especially as the control surfaces get larger.

George.. can you measure the length of your servo arm and then tell me what hole in the control horn you used? I'm trying to gather as much data on the problems as possible to present to my contacts at Horizon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.