Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y question

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y question

Old 08-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Bob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y question

Ok I read thru the entire 258 post thread on the Pacific Aero Gee Bee "Y".

I could only find one person in that entire thread that used a 2 stroke engine - a Moki 1.35.

Anyone have one or seen one fly with something like an O.S. 1.60? Most people were going with a Saito 1.80 or a gas setup. I have an extra O.S. 1.60 and I love it (have 2 of em) that I would love to stick in this plane. Sound like enough engine/too much engine - any advice?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:51 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Default RE: Pacific Aero Gee Bee Y question

The 1.60 will have plenty of power, but you will probably have to add nose weight. Run a big, low pitch prop to get outside the cowl.

Jim
Old 08-05-2004, 08:42 PM
wrcflyer
My Feedback: (24)

BOB 101 160 os will do great on this gee bee Y. i agree with JRF . ihad to add weight with the satio 180 . here is a way you can save on adding so much weight . don't mount the servos in the rear . fab. servo mounts up front to get the weight of the servos off the tail . i seen one built like this . it had a satio 150 and no weight was needed. the plane balenced with 8 oz. less. GO FOR IT & good luck BILL WRC-FLYER
Old 08-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Von noodle

Mine has a YS 140dz. All servos are installed up front (pull-pull rudder and MK bell-crank for elevators), battery and throttle servo mounted on fire wall...and still had to add nose weight. Not that it matters really as there is loads of power! Your OS 160 will rock. BTW, swinging a 17x10 APC prop.

s.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I went from a G-26 to a FPE 2.4 gas engine in mine...No problems and really flys great.........
Old 08-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Bob101

Thanks for the input, when I read the big thread I was suprised more people (anyone really) didn't put a 1.60 O.S. in it. So far I've been very pleased with mine perfomance wise (fuel cost isn't as bas as I was lead to beleive either). To me it's a good engine at a price you can't beat for just a tad over $200.