Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VECTORFLIGHT MODELS?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VECTORFLIGHT MODELS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
FATBOY
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VECTORFLIGHT MODELS?

Are the Vectorflight Models worth what you get, or what? I don't know to much about FOAM core wings...are they better than built-up balsa one's? They look great for the price. I imagine their not built for 3D flying.

P.S.Whats up w/ these cold fronts, man its nice!

Have nice day [sm=wink.gif]
Old 08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Crash Master

Default RE: VECTORFLIGHT MODELS?

You won't find a better model for the money. And their customer support is second to none.

My dearly departed [&o] 66" Edge was one of the best ARF's I've put together so far - and I have put quite a few together. The hardware was of good quality and all name-brand stuff. This bird flew like it was on rails and landed slower than a lot of trainers. For the money, you just can't beat it with a stick. Do a search and see what others think about VF. I think they have themselves some pretty devoted followers.

Just my .0002,
Old 08-05-2004, 06:58 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

I bought the sukhoi and very happy with it! I would buy another one in a minute. The instructions are not the best in the world. But its easy to put toghether.

The plane is the best bang for the $$$ and it performs very well. Go to their site like I did and research what people say about them.

best of luck
Old 08-05-2004, 07:42 PM
vtx1800

The wings are really tough. I accedentally had the wind blow the door on the garage shut on the wing. A balsa wing would have been destroyed but the VF has a minor crease in it. The 66" edge is a really nice flier. Its a very well made arf. I will replace it when necessary. Other than using the nice sig tailwheel and adding support wires on the tail I used what was in the kit.
Id gladly dump some of my 40 size arfs for another VF.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
SigFan

I also had the sukhoi. (RIP) One of the best ARF's you can buy. And the people over there are first rate! I would not hesitate to buy another of their planes.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:29 PM
cootertwo

I have two Vector Flight planes. You can't go wrong, and you won't be dissapointed. Quality and the best customer support around, anywhere!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Crash Master

Fatboy, I thought you might be interested in the following email I received from VF today about the response I posted to your question:

Dear Vance:

I hope you are well. I couldn't help but notice your recent post at RC Universe about possibly losing your VF Edge. If so, I am very sorry to hear about it. We did communicate for some time while you were preparing your airplane.

Is there anything which we should know which could have prevented the mishap, such as a structural failure or otherwise. Is the airplane a total loss or if some parts can be salvaged, we will be happy to send you some replacement parts to get it to fly again. As always, please be assured that total customer satisfaction is our #1 priority.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

Very best regards,

John
VF

I don't know about anyone else, but I was suprised and impressed by this. It shows me that VF is committed to its products and customer satisfaction and is actually following the threads here on RCU. When was the last time someone crashed a plane and the manufacturer contacted you to see if there was anything they could do for you?

Sadly, I took this loss harder than any of the others I've suffered. This was an excellent model and the loss was enough to cause me to re-evaluate whether I want to stay in this hobby. If I decide to stay in it and my current financial situation improves enough to allow me to purchase another model, you can bet your sweet patooty that I will be buying another Edge from VF.

Just thought you'd like to know,
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Bumstead
My Feedback: (2)

I am a believer. Vector Flight planes have
me hooked on flying. The planes are really first rate.
I have a 66" Extra w TT.91fs and a 60" Suhkoi with a
Evolution .61NT. Both are Excellent flying planes and will do everything I am capable
of doing.
If you are looking for "flaws" I think you will be looking
for a long time. I ripped out the gear plate on my 66" and was bummed
but then it was a clean break, easily repaired no fuselage damage. The
Suhkoi went threw a tree and the ONLY damage was a dink in the LE
of one wing panel. The wings are strong as any I have seen and will resist
damage much better than balsa built-up and being sheeted, are much more
efficient in the air and keep there airfoil.
My advice, buy a Vector Flight, put it together well, seal the control
gaps with clear Monokote and fly it. You will be a happy camper
Easy on the elevator throws
no, I don't work for them, just glad I bought from them
Old 08-08-2004, 09:43 PM
evfast

I bought the sukhoi from them, and its a great plane, I was breaking in the engine probably the 4 tank in the air and the engine decided to quit on me!!!!!!!!!![X(] she went in for a dive but I did manage to pull up right before it hit, wing flew of, gear riped out, cowling shatered, prop broke. And of course I said some nice words.

When I got to the plane I was amazed that the only real damaged was the cowl was total loss, other than that some epoxy and the plane looks new, not even the wing had a scratch on it just a little grass,the engine is broke in now and the plane is awsome.

I'm impresed with the quality price and customer support from Vector Flight.

keep up the great work

Mike D
Old 08-09-2004, 05:14 AM
vtx1800

Only one other thing to say and this is for vectorflight. I was going to order another 66" edge ( mine is still allright ) but the shipping cost is so high. Can you guys investigate another shipper? Perhaps a carrier that does not deliver so quickly but can deliver for 25-30 $?
I was going to buy the edge ( and eventually will again) but when I could get a mayhem shipped to my door for less I went for the mayhem. Especially since all the cross country moving damage to my edge was cleared up easily. Wing dents come out with a mild application of a heat gun.
overall a great plane, highly reccomended.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:44 AM
evfast

VTX, I got mine shiped for around 13.00 down to FL! How did you ask for them to ship? they have many choices.

later
Old 08-09-2004, 06:43 PM
vtx1800

The last time I went to check them out the only thing I saw was a $50 shipping fee for 2nd day air. I dont need the plane now, I just like to keep one operational at all times. 159 is a good price for the plane but the shipping charge made it less attractive.

I ended up getting a Mayhem 3D for now at the same price, It is a nice kit as well.

I supppose i'd better look more closely at the webpage for shipping options when im ready.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:31 PM
FATBOY

I'm experimenting w/ 3D, are VF's capable of doing any...not sure! I'm sure I'll buy one anyway from what I read from you guys. Your all are right, can't beat the price.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Ross Kean

These are not really 3D machines. More suitable for IMAC sequences and precise flying. If you are looking for a 3D monster in this size range, consider the Funtana.

Ross
Old 08-10-2004, 12:07 PM
kerrydel

I just received a 58" Extra from them yesterday. Don't let vtx1800 scare you. I know it didn't cost anywhere near $50 to ship it to me. Right now every thing is on sale, but who knows how long that will last. [] There is one cheesy part (the tail cone) that covers the joint between the horizontal and vertical stabs. Otherwise the plane looks great. I've only installed a few hinges so far though.

Kerry
Old 08-11-2004, 03:14 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered a 66" Extra and shipping was only 17 bucks Shipping and tax the grand total was $176usd
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM
rjbranchii

On VF's customer service:

I did a crummy landing and messed up the cowling... well, yes, I did pancake the thing and flattened the landing aluminum landing gear dead flat... severe brain fade. I had ordered an extra gear becuase I often fly on a rough grass field and wanted a set with big wheels and one with pants for smooth stuff. But I ordered a new cowling... and I recieved a similar letter to the one posted above requesting info on the cause of the crash and if there was anything that I thought had caused the accident that was the plane's fault as well as any recommendations I might have if it had been. Great service. btw, its a 58 inch Extra with a Super Tigre .90. Great combination. Balanced dead nuts on, very little trim required. I did add 2X56 tail struts all the way around. Rock solid great IMAC plane. It does fly pretty slow. I'm not sure if it will hover yet, I have not moved the CG aft any yet, but it really hangs on. And yes much easier to land than a trainer. (except when pilot error is induced... then they all land flat. )

bob branch
Old 08-12-2004, 12:09 PM
kerrydel

Well, I actually started working on my 58" Extra, and let me say this: The instructions are the worst I've ever seen! There is absolutely no order to them. There are no steps to follow, and no headings or indication of what each of the little boxes of text is telling you. One section goes into great detail about joining the wing halves, but the wings have already be joined! There is no list of hardware or reference to what each of the nuts and bolts go to. (I have 4 nuts that I can't figure out what they are used for). There is no indication of how far forward to mount the engine. There is a diagram of how to attach the control horns to the ailerons, but the type shown in the diagram are not what is included in the kit.

It is painfully obvious that they never had a test subject try to assemble the plane using the instructions alone. It seems as if the goal was to use as little paper as possible, not how to provide useful information on how to put the pieces together.

From all of the good things that I'd read about Vector Flight on RCU, I was definitely expecting something of a higher caliber when it came to the instructions.

Just my 2 cents.

Kerry
Old 08-12-2004, 03:42 PM
P-40LUVR

I do not own a Vectorflight model YET...A few weeks ago I had some questions about their models and sent them an email,I got a prompt response and the guys there are top knotch!
Their planes look very nice and the price is very good too!
I have heard good things about VectorFlight and would not hesitate to buy a model from them.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:42 PM
kroflite54

Vectorflight has been updating the instructions.i e-mailed them about update instructions for my edge540/66.sure enough ,they had updated them and sent me the updated instructions.
i would have started it sooner but had 2 other planes that needed finished.Kerry, i would e-mail them about the instructions ,maybe they have already started an update ,if not, maybe they will.

ken
Old 08-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Matt 22

All would be great when I get it. I ordered the Extra 58" and a couple of weeks ago I emailed them asking when it would ship. Sure enough, I get a quick reply saying due to the sale, it will be shipped Thursday (8/5) and I should have by Saturday or Monday at the latest. Well, it's Friday and doesn't look like I'll have it this weekend to put it together. From what I've read, seems to be worth the wait.....hope so.

Do they now ship with the updated instructions? Can they be downloaded?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:34 PM
kerrydel

Here is part of an email I received after I posted here:

"We just saw your posts at RCU and wish to apologize if there is some confusion in the assembly instructions and specifically the hardware pack. We are working on a detailed description of the hardware components and some aspects of the assembly as we speak, and will send you a copy of the additions as soon as possible. "

So, no, they are not YET shipping the new instructions. And I don't think they are available on the web site. They did send me 3 jpegs with additional detail of hardware and how the wheels and pants attach. Judging by these, I'd say the instructions will be 1000% better.

One piece of info that you'll want is that the firewall-to-spinner distance is 5 inches.

Kerry
Old 08-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Matt 22

ORIGINAL: kerrydel

One piece of info that you'll want is that the firewall-to-spinner distance is 5 inches.

Kerry

Thanks for the info! Is the 5" for the Extra 58"?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:29 PM
kerrydel

Yes, for the 58" WS.

Kerry
Old 08-13-2004, 09:22 PM
TOFAST4U2C

I myself, found a thread on RCU about VF on a search for an Extra 300, I made the original purchase for size (66" wing) and price (cheap). Lets face it, if it was a dud, it wasnt a real big investment like my GP Patty Wagstaff siting on the bench. When it showed at my door it truly was a looker and packaged real well too. Each wing half is wrapped in contoured foam. All the hardware is brand name too.

When I flew it for the first time it took to clicks of down and that was it. What a great looking and performing bird. I can not say enough good things about the quality product of Vector Flight and the fantastic customer service at Vector Flight. They are top notch and so is their product. I have a 66" Extra 300 and am more then satisfied with it, and have ordered their 540 Edge too. I cant wait to get my hands on that one. Everyone at my field seems to be attracted to the Extra as well.
Other manufacturers could take a lesson from VF. Just another well satisfied customer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.