Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ready for my third plane...suggestions?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ready for my third plane...suggestions?

Old 08-05-2004, 09:05 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for my third plane...suggestions?

Learned to fly r/c on a PT-40 and graduated to a Hangar 9 Arrow because it was a bit faster, had semi-symetrical wings, and did decent beginner acro. Now that the Arrow is toast (at least until I fix it....maybe), I'm considering something a little faster perhaps....maybe a bit bigger too. Have thought of the Seagull Spacewalker II (like the idea of low wing, and smitten by the looks of taildraggers in general). I'm partial to ARF's and don't want to build a kit. Other suggestions are welcome. Looking at either a JR XF631 or XP6102 for the radio, along with matching servo's, rx, etc. Let the games begin!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
tIANci

Default RE: Ready for my third plane...suggestions?

There are so many planes out there to buy, first things is what do you want? 3D/acrobatic/scale/warbird? Then you can decide. The Space Walker is a nice plane to fly. Fairly acrobatic too! Seen one with a Rossi 53, she can really fly fast!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:21 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

If you want to stay in the 40 size the Great Planes Extra 300S is a great 3rd plane. If you want something larger there are so many but I still think an Extra in 90+ size is stable enough and is capable of most anything as you become a more experienced pilot.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:17 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Seagull Spacewalker II and while it is an enjoyable plane to fly, it is not very exciting. If you are looking for a plane that has scale flying tendencies, then it is great. For planes with a little more pizazz you might want to consider an Ultra Stick 40 with quad flaps or maybe a Modeltech Magic Extra. I own these and they are all great flying machines and as tail draggers go, much easier to take off than the Spacewalker II.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:20 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

ronk1,

I think an Extra of any size might be too hot for me at this stage of the game, although I'd like to move up to one some day.

tIANci,

To answer your question, I'm not ready for 3D (yet), and as much as I admire other peoples' scale efforts, that's not me either (yet). I think I'm leaning toward something for intermediate level acro....maybe an Aresti or a pattern-type ship. Decisions, decisions.....
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 AM
KennyH

ORIGINAL: IFlySlowPlanes

ronk1,

I think an Extra of any size might be too hot for me at this stage of the game, although I'd like to move up to one some day.

tIANci,

To answer your question, I'm not ready for 3D (yet), and as much as I admire other peoples' scale efforts, that's not me either (yet). I think I'm leaning toward something for intermediate level acro....maybe an Aresti or a pattern-type ship. Decisions, decisions.....

IFlySlowPlanes, you may want to consider the ModelTech Magic, or Magic Extra. I am flying the Magic Extra and you can set it up pretty stable. When I test flew mine I had the center of gravity father forward than what the instructions called for because I don't like surprises on test flights. The plane was pretty stable and flew really well. My R/C club has a member that is flying the Magic Extra as his second plane right now and he is doing really well with it. If you keep the throws on the control surfaces small and the nose heavy this should be a really docile plane. The cool thing is after you have flown it a bit and gotten comfortable with it you can move the cg back and increase your control surface throws and head toward a 3D plane.
You can most likely use the engine you had in your trainer too. Thats always a plus when you don't have to spring for a new engine.

Good luck

Kenny H
Old 08-06-2004, 07:48 AM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Seagull Spacewalker II and I'm just learning to fly it. It is a bigger step up from my LT-40 than I expected but I'm taking it easy and I'm coming along. My LT-40 is a taildragger so that configuration isn't new to me, but the Spacewalker requires much more attention to the rudder on takeoff.

The quality of ARF is good. I've heard reports of improperly glued landing gear blocks, so make sure you include that in your overall examination.

-Jeff
Old 08-06-2004, 08:40 AM
magpilot

I have a GP supersportster - Faster - taildrager and a all around great flyer capable of some aero work. 40 or 60 size available.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:34 AM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Hangar 9 Twist .40 is a nice ARF kit too for $100
Old 08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
spacewkr

I've been flying the Great Planes Spacewalker (ARF) since I bought it in May. I also like to fly scalelike and slow. This is a great plane for slow and easy flying. Takeoffs are a cinch with just the slightest bit of right rudder input. The Spacewalker stalls straight foward and is very predictable. This plane handles a good breeze with no problems. I'm flying mine with a Saito .91 turning a 13/6 prop.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I would consider an UltraStick 40 or 60. They are fun planes and are very capable
Old 08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

A Sig Somethin' Extra would be a good compromise. An Extra, fun fly mix. Slow landings too!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Bob101

If you want to go the way of traditional aerobatics and not 3-d I suggest the Great Planes Venus.

It's light, pretty inexpensive, flies great on a .46 engine (hotter on a .50), looks pretty good, will do GREAT aerobatics, goes where you point it and no where else, bleeds off speed like a more high performance plane like an extra/edge/cap etc... to get you used to those types of landings without worry of a low speed snap.

I have one and it was the perfect plane after my 4-star. I still fly it a lot I never get tired of it even tho I have a few 1/4 scale caps/extras now.

The Venus at the right time will make you a MUCH better pilot, it teaches you the right moves without total destruction if you make a mistake like some hotter planes.

If you like to put around the pattern and do slow flight - then the Venus isn't for you. If you like gobs of vertical, loops as big as you can make em, nice snaps, knife edge flight 5 feet off the runway the entire length of the field - then it's the plane for you.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 PM
tIANci

IFLY - who says an Extra is too hot to handle but an Aresti is easy? I fly a Black Horse SU 31 and its not hard at all, she lands a little faster than perhaps a TT Sport low wing, so its not hot at all. I also flew the Global Raven that everyone says cannot be flown, she flew nice, not hot at all for landings. All this is talk, too much of it. Its about setting up the plane and how you bring her in. Does not take that much at all.

I am not a great flyer, I started back after a 20 year lapse. I started in February and now I am flying inverted like 6" above the ground. I was most fortunate to have a good friend who guided me for the first 3 months, we fly every week day morning, then I flew everyday. Practice makes perfect.

If you want to go for the Aresti then why not, she flies so well, I have one NIB but seen one fly, she is lovely. If you wanna save a little in case she crashes then go for the Seagull Space Walker or the WM Super Sport. The WM Rambler 40 is a lovely low wing to fly, she comes in so easy!
Old 08-06-2004, 02:58 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

For a low-wing ARF, aerobatic but great at low speed too, light wing-loading, I highly recommend the Kangke Cap 232 Sport. I powered mine with Magnum 91 two-stroke side-mounted, Pitts muffler. These come up on eBay at a good price from time to time. Set it up with mild throws, fly it at half throttle, save full throttle for vertical stuff. I put tail-braces on to keep the vibrations down. Lands like a feather.