Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Extra 300S

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Models Extra 300S

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Models Extra 300S

hey guys,
Got a Phoenix Models Extra 300S coming tomorrow, and was wondering 2 things...

1) Has anyone "built" this model, and if so what do ya think? Any build notes or mistakes yall'd like to share?

2) Anyone know of an online manual for this? I looked on the tower site, and they don't list a website or anything. On GP planes, they have manual links for almost every plane they sell... guess this is why I saved 20 bucks on it....

Thanks in advance...

Crash.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Default RE: Phoenix Models Extra 300S

I have about 15 flights on mine with a Thunder Tiger 46 pro. The TT is not a powerhouse in this plane as it tips the scale at 6.5 pounds, with an 11*6 prop I can get it to go at good pace but no unlimited vertical. If you do not use a pitts muffler you will need to cut the covering under the far front compartment and replace it with bass wood to make a dog house for the muffler. Mount the battery under the tank and the receiver at the front end of the servo compartment and she will balance with no weight added.

The throws setting for the plane are very week, on the maiden flight I almost lost her because I did not have enough elevator throw. I set the low rates at the recommended setting then set you high rates at twice the low rates. She had not unexpected problems such as tip stalling or snappy elevator. When I do land her I do land her hot but never tried to slow her down to slow landing.

If I had a choice of engines I would consider the super tiger 51, any thing bigger and it will be too heavy…
Old 08-09-2004, 05:45 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I had the Phoenix Models Giles 202. Hopefully they are building the Extra lighter since their Giles is way overbuilt. I had a Saito .82 on the nose and had to mount the battery under the cowl to get it to balance at the rear end of the balance range.

When I received the plane one of the pushrods had poked through the covering on the bottom of the fuse due to poor packing. After removing the piece of covering to replace it I noticed how overbuilt the structure was. Two sets of formers (upper and lower) and the entire fuse is fully sheeted. It gave me the impression they build really nice looking planes but don't think too much about how all that extra weight flys. Before replacing the covering I cut out a bunch of wood to try and lighten it up a bit. Unfortunately, while flying I tried to hot dog it too much and did a snap roll too low at the end of our field where we have a set of railroad tracks. It came out of the snap in a dive and I didn't have enough throw in it to pull out in time. The tracks didn't give one bit and the entire front of the plane was demolished. Funny thing was the whole tail of the plane where I had cut out all the extra wood was still in perfect shape!

The Giles was a nice flyer. It tracked like it was on rails and landings weren't any problem at all. The plane would snap if you gave it too much elevator but that isn't totally uncommon. I wasn't too impressed with inverted flight. It seemed to take a lot of down elevator to keep it level.

Hopefully they have kept the Extra a little lighter because these planes would really be nice if it weren't for the weight. I'd be curious to hear how yours turns out in the weight department.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:17 AM
VijayV
My Feedback: (56)

I lost mine due to flutter on the elevator servo. I'd beef up the control rod b/w the elevator servo and the elevator. I might have lost it due to bad control rod design or a weak elevator servo (Futaba S3004)....which is hard to digest with a 40 size plane.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 PM
*Crash*Johnson*

Hey, forgot to add my finished weight...

Weighed in about 6.5 lbs (shipping scale is hardly accurate) and flew pretty good. SuperTigre G51 for power, and flew it around at 1/2 throttle most of the time. No serious vertical, but she flew good.
I've got about 2 dozen flights on mine and haven;t had an elevator issue with mine. I have standard Hitec HS-422's for servo's and they work fine.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:34 AM
P-40LUVR

FLYER,did you add the 2 degrees thrust like they show in the instructions,I have the same plane but have not flown mine yet
and I have a .58 engine in mine.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
jester125

Do you guys think a Tower Hobbies .75 is too big for this plane ?

thanks, Chris
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 AM
*Crash*Johnson*

It's only 5oz more then my g-51 is, but should give you a bit more power. Hard to say though since I've never run one of them. Only way to find out is to strap it on and fly it!