Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg -- PITTS S12 MONSTER

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Carl Goldberg -- PITTS S12 MONSTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
GasDoc
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg PITTS S12 MONSTER

Thanks, that was actually what I tried first. They had none, and they directed me to great planes who now owns goldberg, and they directed me to Hobby Services, Inc, they checked their warehouse and told me that they are completely out of cowls and will not be getting any in. So I think my last hope is someone selling me their used one...... My LHS has a whole plane, but even at a discount that would be an expensive cowl.....

Old 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
twin3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that would be expensive. I found a couple of emails I'll do a little checking. We're bound to find some body who has made one. It was to popular an airplane for none to be out there.

Mike
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
GasDoc

Awesome. I even went so far as to buy a KMP cowl from their Pitts and planned on repainting it, but it came in the mail yesterday all cracked and thin, and a bit too large for the CG pitts. I appreciate any assistance
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM
twin3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have been searching since we talked last, no luck. Found a few that would be close with some modifications. If your going to spend time modifying, should just fix the one you have. Sorry no luck, hope I don't mess mine up and need a new one I will be SOL [&o]
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
GasDoc

Thanks for looking. Unfortunately I don't have the old one....someone threw it away!!
So I"m going to have to make the KMP one work... Ugh
Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

hi r/crs, i've had my mon. pitts now for 4 yrs, slow builder, i'm installing a st2300 w/ os 7d carb. 2 ail. servo set up w/slave wires, no whl pants; grass field. i did not like the way the cowl was to be installed, w/ fuel line type "gromets", etc, so got a little larger rubber gromets, pop rivets, removed pin in rivets drilled them a little so 4-40 bolt passes then installed 4-40 with washer to pinch the gromet down snug to grip cowl but still let it float a little, the bolt/washer comes against rivets and i can tighten 4-40 bolt real good!!! i used med loctite on threads + the 4-40 bolts are about 1 1/4" long so i'll be able the catch any that might loosen. i added a few braces on l/gear structure, pinned eng box fire wall and used small jewelry box corner brackets to help capture box, added a little bracing to box base. i am going w/tail bracing on tail. if this one goes in it will roll up the pavement!!!!! ("nobody's gettn' off this rock alive"!!!)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM
GasDoc

Got an extra cowl?????
Old 12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
fujiman

sorry rydar, only got the one in the kit. it's the "pitts" that cgb model have taken over by gp. i wonder if gp took over company just to get them out of compet. or what????? they were a quality outfit!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
GasDoc

I know, CG models were great quality and flew awesome. I've had many.
It's quite frustrating to not have a cowl, and I'm on the verge of junking it and
stripping all the gear out of it if I don't find one soon.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
kc2jk310s

Can anyone tell me the incidence set-up for the Carl Goldberg Biplane, the Ultimate 300 Bluehawk ARF ? Right now it appears to be reading 0 degrees for both the top and bottom wing and 1 1/2 degrees positive for the stab. Usually bipes are 0/0 wing and stab but the top wing is 1 to 1 1/2 degrees negative. kc2jk310s
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
fujiman

yah kc2jk310s, i set up a ez .30 sized pitts with an old os .60 on the front, sounds like over kill w/that eng, but back then the 60 was like a .40 2 stk. flew great but a tad twitchy. wick stall/snap almost bit the dust a couple of times. rechecked c/g right on. did some reach, (life before these forums), and found some info on wing incid. rear stab 0 lower wing 1 to 1.5 pos. (frt of wing up, greater ang. of attack), top wing 1 neg. ( frt of wing down in frt. lesser angle of attack). let me tell you it straightened that little boy right out!!!! helped smooth out the stall/snap probs. a bunch inverted flite also improved. the little s-2 was still a hand full but it was a ball blown' the skin off the other guys' .60 hot rods and pattern ships. all they could do was shake their heads and weep!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
fujiman

sorry kc2jk310s, i meant an os .60fs engine not just a .60.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
kc2jk310s

Thanks Fujiman ; That sounds close to what i've got with the Bluehawk. If I read the stab at zero degrees, I'm then reading the lower wing at 1 1/2 degrees positive. It's possible the top wing has negitive incidence built in, I was reading the top of the cabane struts for the top wing incidence. I'll have to mount the wing and see what it reads then. Thanks again for your quick reply. kc2jk310s
Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 PM
fujiman

hope that helps out a bit! these bloody pitts can be strange critters. when there good they are very, very good but when their bad they are very, very bad. tame the beast and enjoy! (ain't nobody gettn' off this rock alive)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

All this incidence talk....Isn't that built into the arf part of the airplane when it's designed and built? How can I change it?

Something else...This plane is pretty nose heavy from what I'm seeing. What would it hurt to shorten the cowl by cutting the back side of the cowl about an inch and take an inch off the motor box that's built out? Wouldn't that allow a heavier engine to balance out the plane a little more?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM
fujiman

your rite expo, the arfs do have incidence built into it, but that don't mean it's rite!!!! as i mentioned back a couple of posts, with my "little" pitts, changing the top wing incidence made all the diff. in the world in the way it flew. with that little plane both wings had the same amount of incidence which made both wings stall at the same time and man oman when it did you better hang on!!! all i did was shim up the rear top wing mount a couple of degrees. when inverted it stopped the hunting or wing rocking and lessened the amount of down elev. that had to be applied to maintain inverted level flite. i plan to do the same w/the monster pitts. because from what i have seen and heard they call c g monster pitts, a monster for a reason!!!! take it for what it's worth, fujiman
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
expo

Thanks fujiman.

When I get it up (the monster...not IT) this spring I may experiment with a few washers under the rear bolts of the top wing supports and see what changes. Someone on here posted a pic of a squished M12 saying he snapped and spun it in the ground and couldn't recover.

THAT'S THE PITTS!

I can't believe I read every post on this thread in 2 days...that includes the links and pix in them too!!! I wanted to go 20 or 26 gas but after reading about the ills of an up front boat anchor, I'm going to get a Saito 180. My 100 has never deadsticked me and hope all of them are as reliable.
expo
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
fujiman

ya expo, for some reason the monster pitts has a violent rudder coupling and the app. of to much rudder will cause the plane to roll over and go into a violent spin if you don't have enough altatude your going in no doubt about it. booo yaaa!!!! plus these things won't glide, too dirty, no power, no fly. mains on only in the landing, and rudder at the minimum a must or your going to put it in. this thing is NO trainer for sure, nor is it for the faint of heart!!! fujiman here. remember, there's no such thing as gravity..... the earth just sucks!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
HoverLoW

Just taking a look on this thread!

We had got a good conversation over here!!

Now they have this plane discontinued and now we don't have how to keep talking anymore.

My Pitts is alive yet. Two years passed from the maiden and after one crash, she is in a perfect shape!

Of course, I am not putting her in dangerous flights, couse I don't want my Pitts like history!!!!

And about you, guys?

How yours old pitts are doing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78569.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1129017  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Stu Mitnik

Mine is still flying at ~ 9.5 lb with an ST90. CG is moved aft to a point where it is balanced in inverted flight. Plane will still not snap no matter what. The ST90 is just a hair to small. I am going to try an APC 15/4 prop and if that doesn't work, I am considering re-engining with an SK110. I was thinking about a diesel conversion to the ST90 to swing a bigger prop but did not get any positive reaction from the more experienced guys at the flying field.

The thing lands like a dream if you slightly throttle up on final and get off the up elevator as soon as the mains touch the runway.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

Mine is still going strong after 2.5 years. Flown summer and winter. Just replaced the saito 150 with a 180 and have put on 2 flights since then. Had a bit of a opps yesterday, nice slow drag tail landing, ski hit a drift and jammed and tore the gear mounting block out. skis misses the wings thank god. Repaired better than new now. Very little epoxy on gear block from factory. Still my favorite plane in the fleet. What in the hell were they thinking by discontinuing it???
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

What is this "drift" you speak of? Is that where the wind blows the sand in a hill next to the palm trees?

I got a ride in a full scale Pitts two weeks ago but I didn't land with the plane. Video:

[link=http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=f0y64]Pitts Jump[/link]
Old 02-07-2009, 10:15 AM
expo

ORIGINAL: Swat Cop

What is this "drift" you speak of? Is that where the wind blows the sand in a hill next to the palm trees?

I got a ride in a full scale Pitts two weeks ago but I didn't land with the plane. Video:

[link=http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=f0y64]Pitts Jump[/link]
Balls swallowing video!!

I just bought a used M12 airframe. Wanted to go gas but it seemed like too much weight on the nose of it. I'm putting a Saito 180 on it.

What are the rest of you guys flying it with?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
HoverLoW

ORIGINAL: bkrfrmhell

Mine is still going strong after 2.5 years. Flown summer and winter. Just replaced the saito 150 with a 180 and have put on 2 flights since then. Had a bit of a opps yesterday, nice slow drag tail landing, ski hit a drift and jammed and tore the gear mounting block out. skis misses the wings thank god. Repaired better than new now. Very little epoxy on gear block from factory. Still my favorite plane in the fleet. What in the hell were they thinking by discontinuing it???
I don't know!! Maybe Great Planes bought Carl Goldberg just to screw up our fun!!! [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
robpilot1995

Just got around to building mine with an OS 1.20. Boy what a let down! Incidence is all over the place out of the box and it's super nose heavy with the battery as far aft as it'll go AND the recommended engine. Atrocious rudder coupling and just not harmonized at all. To make it worse the landing gear block was installed poorly and pulled out after a small bounce on landing. It's going to take 3/16 spacers to get bottom wing in line with the tail, how in the world can a brand name ARF be this far off! It's just fighting itself the entire flight. I should have built it before they were bought by GP I guess... I'm thinking of cutting the firewall back, spacing the wing and setting the upper wing -1 to make this $400 arf fly anything like the real plane. How frustrating!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.