Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:36 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

The manual for the Ultra sticks can be downloaded from Horizons website.
Ron
Old 02-25-2005, 09:28 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys,
In keeping with the thought that light is right........ The JERRY'S BIG BOY is a light ARF to begin with but I'm trying something a little different right now. We just got in a large shipment of the MARK motors. (These are the MOKI line of engines but have been known in Hungary as "MARK" for over 30 years.) I have been asked all kinds of questions about different uses for this plane but one that keeps popping up is "how is it for a trainer?" Right now I am installing a set of mid-sized digital servos and a MARK 61 LS ABC into a JERRY'S BIG BOY. I'm doing this in an effort to keep the weight down and see how all that wing area reacts. The Saito 100 powered JBB with standard sized servos is flying at 7 3/4 lbs. and is real light on the sticks right now. I'm looking forward to seeing just how light I can get this combination in an effort to slow it down for trainer purposes. Landings and manuevers are already at a slow walk but if I can give a beginner some additional time to think while landing I believe this will be of great assistance to a shakey, new pilot. Also have removed the fiberglass wheel pants and installed some fat, foam Cub-like wheels to aid in ground handling. (They look like tundra tires on a Kitfox home-built!) These wheels are perfect for the pilot who always lands short or long in the thick stuff just off the runway. Should have it ready to go by Sunday afternoon.
Terry
Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
racsanone

Hi fellas,

Built my Jerrys Big Boy arf and finished it last night, got a saito 150 hanging off the front. balanced perfectly with battery behind the servo tray. trying to decide what prop I want to run on it... any suggestions? Came in at 9 lbs with the 150 on it including metal gear h/d servos and hefty battery pack. plan to fly it this saturday... Anyone else have problems with the pull pull holes in the tail being in the wrong places? had to make my own holes. Also, wood blocks to lift rudder servo were on back bay of servo tray, not the front like plans called for. I just glued up 2 more blocks on the front bay.......
Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

I use 16X8 APC on my 150s. I have one on a SIG CAP, around 12 lbs. and one on a ULTRA STICK around 10 lbs. Works great on both.
Ron
Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Tim/Racs,
You can try the 16-8 as Ron offered but that 8" pitch will make this light bird sail past you on landing attempts unless you have the lowest of idle settings. We use a 17-6 on a 150 or 180 on light airplanes and it gives more braking action when idled down low. Ron probably has all out performance with the SIG Cap. I had one of those with a 180 on it and it was a hand full of fun.

I too have seen the rudder mount blocks on both the front of the tray and the rear. (Somebody was having a bad day at the factory!) Same way with the exit locations for the pull- pull. As I always have stated: ARF airframes are just a starting point for us all. WE have to make sure the manufacturer did his homework. If its a major problem he would have to fix it. If its a minor problem, we fix it so we can make it to the field and have fun with our buddies! Believe it or not, a lot of times the distributor has no recourse with these overseas builders. My appologies to you but I hope the flight performance you get this weekend will make up for it. (At least it sounds like you are going to have FLYING WEATHER! It's raining in the Houston area right now and doesn't look too good for this weekend!!) Happy flying to all our customers and let us hear how your JERRY'S BIG BOY did with all that motor on it.
Terry
Engineering Dept.
Morris Hobbies
Old 03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
joecady

Ice and other Jerry big boy afficionado's,

I plan on putting a ys91ac on for power. I an not sure about the pull pulls in the arf kit. Nelson sure has some nice looking setups. I plan on using jr4721's on the ailerons and jr 4131's for elevator and rudder. The 41 series are non digital dual bb corless with about 80 oz. of torque on 4.8.
Any suggestions on my proposed setup?
I appreciate any tips or advice that you all may have. I am a intermediate skilled flyer.
Btw, the instruction book is well thought out and covers most everything.

Thanks,
joekkdd
Old 03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Joe,
Kozak says to say hello to ya..........

Your servos would be perfect for this bird. They were part of the top of the line servos JR had out before coming out with their line of digitals.

As far as the pull-pull hardware goes, go with it. Nelson makes some fine stuff but you already have "fine stuff" with your kit. If you aren't comfortable with pull-pull, get some fiberglass or carbon fiber arrow shafts and put two 4-40 threaded wires out the back side and one 2-56 wire to the servo arm. Use Dave Brown arrow shaft ends to connect the wire to the shafts. Hope this help.

Your YS 91 ought to make this a pretty lively airplane!
Terry
Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 PM
racsanone

Maiden flight today on cold heavy windy day... Saito 150 with 17x8 prop. jumped off the ground in 10 feet easily... 3 clicks of down trim and it was trimmed.. Flew grreat but waitng for calm day to see how it feels.. Floated in like a trainer.... gonna prop down to a 16x4 wide and see if that helps.. with a 17x8 anything over 1/4 throttle was too much.. But so far,, I LIKE IT!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Tim,
Cold? Windy? Airplane! I see no problem here........
Terry
Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terry, here is the Little Boy 40 completed. Next step will be engine break in (YS63) and flight test. Let Bob know, thanks.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54160.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	242446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71582.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	242447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43575.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	242448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35280.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	242449  
Old 03-12-2005, 08:07 AM
racsanone

jeff,
looks great!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:31 PM
SU29

Thanks Tim, well I got five flights in today. Wind speeds between 15-20 made for some interested fights. First flight required one click of up elev and one click of left aileron. YS 63 turns an APC 14x4W at 10,000 rpm. I plan to change the prop and try both 15x4W and 16x4W and see which one gets the RPM in the low 9000's. This should make a big difference. Even with the 14x4w it will hover with less than half throttle.

Take off's and landings are a breeze, inverted flight required quite a bit of down elevator. I plan to move the CG back a bit and see what happens.

Anyway, if Jerry's big boy flies like the little boy watch out for some fun times. Later

Jeff
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Jeff,
Really nice looking! I like the color scheme. You have anything left in the monokote box? So the YS really hauls it around..... Just showed the pics to Robert and Alberto. They liked it.

I am finishing up the 80" ARF version that has been clipped. (7 inches per panel!)
This makes for a 66 inch wingspan and 65 inch length. I took out both servo mounts in each panel and put only one in the center of each panel. I recovered the whole JERRY'S BIG BOY ARF in hot pink with black graphics. I have one of the new MARK .61 ABC motors with a 14-4 APC on it. Doing the final stuff to it and will put the pictures on here next week. (I did do a modified pull-pull on this one to save some weight. Will let you know what that comes out to when I'm done with it.
Later,
Terry
Old 03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
SU29

Hey Terry, the YS63 is a great match for this plane, looks to me like the APC16x4 prop is going to be the way to go to kill the rpms. RPM's were a little above 10,000 with a rich setting and the second tank of fuel.

I bought the covering to match my Yak 54 ARF that I still have in the box [] so that I would have patch material if ever needed.

I can't wait to fly it in calmer winds however it handled the 20mph pretty well. Are you sure the 15x4 will be enough for the 61 your putting on the big boy? The Hot Pink and Black will show up extremely well and catch a lot of attention. I flew with a bunch in KS and there were a copy fellas there that used Pink and black on just about every plane they flew. It seems that Pink stays the same color in the air, not turning gray or black when you get out there.

Just want to thank you guys for your support and good luck with yours. Be sure to post your flight results when you get the chance.

Later
Jeff
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

SU and all you Toledo attendees,
A palet of JERRY'S BIG BOYS WILL BE ON SALE AT A SHOW PRICE AT TOLEDO!!! Come by the MORRIS HOBBIES booth and see us for a great deal on these planes.
Terry
Morris Hobbies
Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Jeff,
Sorry I haven't been on RCU lately......... Have finally wound down from Toledo show. We sold a ton of kits and motors and was totally blown away by all the stuff for electrics at the show. I counted over 300 electrics. (Mostly foamies!) I have been swamped by e-mails and calls at the shop on converting a JERRY'S BIG BOY to electric. Got to talk with JERRY SMITH between the crowds and let him know all the different ways people are flying JBB's. Took my personal JBB to display at Toledo and I'm now assembling a new one. The old one is now a Michigan resident! (Darn........... Just when it was getting all dialed in someone decides to flash too much cash....)
We are now trying to ship all the orders associated with the show. We have plenty of kits and spare parts and are working hard at shipping everyone's order the same day we receive it. Thanks for everyone's response to a great plane.
Terry
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 PM
SU29

Little boy is still going strong. Local club members got to see it for the first time saturday. Received several inquiries about the plane, everyone seemed to be impressed by the stablility at low speeds. Terry sounds like the show was a big success!!!

Later
Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi Jeff,
Sounds like Little Boy is gonna have to make the rounds! I've got the CLIPPED WING JERRY'S BIG BOY in for a tank change. It flys great as I expected. That short wing with the wide chord turns really well and rolls like a bat. I'm working on a name for it.......... Maybe something along the lines of "SHORT STUFF." Whadda ya think?? We are going to take the clipped wing off of my plane and put it on a friend's that has a Saito 100 on it. Ought to be something akin to R/C missle practice!
Terry

PS The MARK .61 pulls the clipped wing along a a pretty good clip! I'm running the 14-4 Zinger wood prop.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:22 PM
SU29

Terry, you need to post some videos of this clipped wing version. How about Jerry's Clipped Big Boy or Jerry's Big Boy Junior. Either way I wood like to see some video and Pics posted here?

Hope everything is good in TX, everything here is good, just looking for the time to fly.

Later
Jeff
Old 04-30-2005, 09:35 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

where do you guys set the CG on the big boy? i'm building one now using a OS 91 FX futaba 3010's and 6151 on rudder. setting up with the pull pull all around. any thing you can tell me before i fly it would help.
thanks
Randy
Old 04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

[]Jeff,
The digital camera must have some problems.......... We can't seem to get the pictures to transfer. We are getting another camera to see if it is the camera or a bad memory stick. Will get something on here in the next few days. Things are hectic here at the shop. Electric stuff is really taking off! We just received another container of ARF's. I am planning to fly the JERRY'S BIG BOY on Sunday afternoon. It will be the first time since Toledo that I get to load up all the planes and go fly for fun. I'm looking forward to it!
Terry
Old 04-30-2005, 10:37 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Randy,
The CG on the JERRY'S BIG BOY is 4 1/2" back from the leading edge of the wing OR 10 3/8" back from the face of the firewall OR 3 3/4" back from the vertical cutout of the front of the wing saddle. All measurements will get you to the same location. Your servos and engine are a great choice for the plane. Try not to have too much fun flying this plane as your wife will wonder why you're smiling when you get home!
Terry
Old 04-30-2005, 01:59 PM
randy racer

thanks terry, hope to fly this thing sunday. wish me luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:46 PM
randy racer

the big boy is awsome and it flys lite as a feather. this is the best plane for all around flying i have tried so far. i does 3d very well. i did have a fuel line break in the fues and fill it up with fuel. hope i got it all out and dry and all will be ok. this plane is way to awsome to ruin because of a dumb builder mistake. wish me luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
suitcase

RVator has the US 60 with a OS 91FS. Now I know why that thing leaves the ground in about three feet. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.