Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a U can Do???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone with a U can Do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a U can Do???

I have taken a magnum .91 4 stroke out of a Giles-202 and am looking for a 3d-trainer/ beater plane... to go in the hanger and am wondering if the .60 size U can Do is to big for good 3D performance for that engine. I was thinking about either a 14-6 or 4 or a 15-4 APC prop and standard servos, standard 4.8 battery pack and receiver. Please let me know if anyone has a similar set up and if I need anything different (bigger servos etc). If there is a better plane to serve the purpose above please chime in and give me some ideas.. I am looking for a plane (ARF) at or under $200.00 beyond that I am very open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-20-2005, 01:37 PM
maineflyer

Default RE: Anyone with a U can Do???

Anyone out there??
If anyone has another suggestion for an ARF that will do 3D with the motor above on it please chime in with a suggestion.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
smokingcrater

a '90 4s is kind of in a wierd spot, as it isn't going to overpower a .60 ucd but is a tad large for the .46 size. that said, it will run in either. personally, i probably would run it in the .46, people have run larger engines in there!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:45 PM
flashingred
My Feedback: (2)

MAINEFLYER,

THE U-CAN-DO 3D WILL BE A GOOD FLYING AIRPLANE WITH A MAGNUM 4 STROKE ENGINE, BUT IT WILL NOT BE AN OUTSTANDING FLYER. IF YOU INTEND TO DO SOME SERIOUS 3D FLYING YOU WILL NEED MORE POWER. I HAVE A YS 91 FOUR STROKE IN MINE. THE YS PUTS OUT A LOT MORE THAN THE MAGNUM. IF YOU WANT A REAL GOOD FLYER POWER THIS PLANE OR A FUNTANA 90 WITH A YS 110.

GOOD LUCK

FLASHINGRED
Old 01-20-2005, 04:54 PM
maineflyer

Thanks guys, Keep the thoughts coming. I have a couple of other planes and wanted something I could use this engine in to learn 3D. how about a .40 size funtana?? which is a better 3D trainer?
Jeff
Old 01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
nocrashesyet

Most members at the field I fly have or have had a 46 or 60 size U-Can Do, they are very easy to fly. But saying that I have also seen the majority of them crash. People start flying more radical then there used to and before they know it thier U-Can Do is no more. They are built very light and are totaled every time I've seen one go in. I have a 46 size with a OS70 4 Stroke and it flys great with plenty of power. Im using a 14-4 W APC on mine. I know this dose'nt help you decide on your choice of plane for your engine but if you do get a U-Can Do and are just learning 3D dont rush yourself this plane dosent give you a second chance.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I too have a UCD .46 with an OS .70 Ultimate in it.....Great plane for BASIC 3-D...Alot of fun to fly, but landing gear is very weak on it. I have seen a bunch of them with ripped out gear because of a "harder than normal" landing. Its just a weak area.
The plane is built very light, so it just "floats" around on idle. The .70 size is just fine for it. Dont get misled into believing the plane needs a .91 , or a 1.00.....too many people put these "larger than needed" engines in their planes, then get on this forum and complain about how crappy the plane was after they ripped it apart in the sky,or the firewall ripped out or whatever. More experienced pilots are cautious with the throttle, but others take the advice on a larger engine and destroy the plane. The plane isn't meant for speed so high throttle is only used for vertical and pulling out of a hover.......The planes alot of fun, and the price is right, so get one and have fun!!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Mettler1

We had a few U Can Do's at our field last spring and by midsummer they were all gone. One crash, one was given away and the others sold. Guy got tired of them real fast. One of our flyers had a Funtana .40 with an OS .91fs in it and real enjoyed until a BIG OOOPS!!! He then crammed the OS .91 into a Hanger 9 Twist .40. He really likes it because it takes off vertically!! He also liked the price of the Twist. $99.00!!! Just a couple of ideas to go you way. Have fun!!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM
maineflyer

Thanks Mettler I will check out the twist.. Was also thinking about the Accel katana. Anyone have any experience with this plane??
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
bullet65

mainflyer,im putting my saito .91 in a ucando .46.i had it in a sig se until tx went dead folowed by the sigse.that was a blast so i think the ucando .46 will be even more.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:42 PM
autoguns

I have a couple of twists and it would be a good choice but I think the UCD3d 46 would be a better pick....I have a YS63S in one twist and a JETT BSE76L in the other ...I also have a UCD3D 60 with a YS110FZ in it ...It flew good with OS91FS in it but the YS made it a great 3D plane....Any of the planes you are looking at are good to learn 3D with.... Good luck ....JW

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

Thanks Mettler I will check out the twist.. Was also thinking about the Accel katana. Anyone have any experience with this plane??
Old 01-21-2005, 01:37 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I've had the UCD 60, Funtana 40 and a bunch of profiles. The profiles will fly 3D better. UCD is a fun plane and will hover easier than anything, but the Accel Katana will hover nearly as easy plus it will do harriers, knife edge which the UCD is terrible at. That magnum may be a little too heavy for the Accel Katana 40 though....If you are thinking the Accel Katana 90, it may be perfect...not sure if that one is on the market yet though. Go with a profile though...best 3D trainers by FAR!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: aviti

knife edge which the UCD is terrible at.
WHHHAAATT????? the U-can-do will KE all day long. IT will also KE loop WITH a 91 4 stroke.. (60 size UCD) I have run Whole tanks out KE to one side of the field turning around KE and back the other way untill i was out of gas... You must be thinking about a twist.. It wont KE if you prop it up on 1 wing on the ground. the funtana isnt a great Knife edger. but will.. I still have my 91 in my 2nd UCD 60 and only jjust recently ordered a YS-110 for it . It is a GREAT flying plane. it will not do ALL the 3d stuff but if you got one you will have a bast.. mine goes with me everytime i go to the field. I call it old trusty.