Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

Old 08-27-2020, 05:49 PM
spitfire66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vvrc 40 twin fits perfect. Great power. Awesome sound. I bought the classic, I believe, with the 1/4-20 plugs instead of cm-6. I Love The combo so far. I canít figure out how to add pics on my phone.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:09 PM
spitfire66

Old 08-27-2020, 06:15 PM
spitfire66

I had to rotate the carb so I could tune it with the engine running. The needles put your hands into the prop otherwise. Terrible idea, impossible to tune with being a pita. The other stuff is for the smoke system. Fuel line routed for the carb rotation. I had to solder the choke arm on the shaft 180 degrees opposite. 17 lbs, 4 oz balances at 5 1/4”. (Middle of cg range). No lead added, I will move the cg aft eventually. 2 flights on it. It wasn’t too bad at all on the maiden. I have a separate tailwheel servo and it required a little left rudder on The maiden takeoff. Easily overcame with power. I kept it hot on approach and had a little bounce. Second flight it was smooth. Awesome airplane!
Old 08-27-2020, 06:18 PM
spitfire66

Hidden switches, fills and vents. So far they have remained perfectly clean as the mufflers exit the cowl. The setup should work, but with smoke may get really messy, if so, Iíll add a cover. Smoke is incredibly messy on the ground. This is my first smoke system and I had no idea. For future tweaking Iíll have the plane on a table or in the air. The residue is insane, although I had my smoke pump set way to high. I was running at 100% and was advised to try 12-15% by an experienced guy with the same pump. I have the atomizing smoke nozzles.

Last edited by spitfire66; 08-27-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 PM
spitfire66

Old 08-28-2020, 10:57 AM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and taking the pictures. This will definitely help me make up my mind. Your Pitts looks great!
Mark
Old 11-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, acquired old Pitts, what are the Spats made of? Thank-you.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:34 PM
spitfire66

Well I got lucky the other day. The on off switches went intermittent due to smoke oil contamination in flight. It went out of control for about 5 seconds and I got it back and landed. Iíve flown the plane about 10-14 flights without issues. I just recently started using smoke and it makes a mess and ruined the switches. Prior to smoke, the switch location was fine. I got lucky! I ordered a boomarc q-switch with pin and flag and will mount elsewhere. The airplane flies awesome! I find it fairly tame. Just ease into the power On takeoff and set a little higher idle than other planes for landing. I am in love with this thing!
The following users liked this post:
mradcliff (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 03:35 PM
spitfire66

Spats are fiberglass. You can get spares from rcaair as I did. Excellent quality. I added a doubler to the Cabane strut for strength. I inspect after every outing for cracks. So far no issue. The cabane strut in the fuse is the Achilles heal of this airplane

Last edited by spitfire66; 11-14-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by spitfire66 View Post
Spats are fiberglass. You can get spares from rcaair as I did. Excellent quality. I added a doubler to the Cabane strut for strength. I inspect after every outing for cracks. So far no issue. The cabane strut in the fuse is the Achilles heal of this airplane
Thank-you Spitfire66. I've known about the Cabane weakness. Appreciate the info.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:01 AM
mradcliff

I am installing the VV-40 in my Pitts. How did you set up the choke linkage? BTW I appreciate the pictures of your motor installation I'm using it to figure out the throttle set up. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:36 AM
spitfire66

Hello, on my Pitts I have the vv 40 classic. My only complaint on this engine is the carb tuning needles. They face forward into the prop arc making it impossible to tune the engine when running. I had to turn the carb 180 degrees and then reengineer the throttle arm/shaft and choke arm/shaft. I used my harbor freight hand torch and pulled of the arms and turned them around and resoldered. It was a bit time consuming but not bad if you have a little bit of experience with taking a carb apart. Take time to clean the carb out while you have it apart. I always do this with brand new engines.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:44 AM
spitfire66

This is
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM
spitfire66

These are all the pics I have for now.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:55 AM
mradcliff

I have installed the lower wing aileron servos and I am going to use pushrods to run the upper wing ailerons. I would like to see pictures of your horns and rods if anyone else has done this.
Thanks.
Mark
Old 04-01-2021, 02:38 PM
spitfire66

Hello, I thought Iíd see how everyone is doing? I flew my Pitts a couple weeks ago and again today. Iím loving this airplane. I have it dialed in again after a radio update this winter erased all my planes. Iím using 4 ailerons servos, and a separate tailwheel servo and rudder setup. The VVRC 40cc twin is awesome for this plane. Itís fast enough and has great climb performance with the xoar 20x8 sword prop. I love this combo.

question: on a knife edge the nose is pushing/tucking hard. Is this a setup problem or normal? Do I just add a mix to compensate or have I overlooked something? Iím not experienced with aerobatic setups.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:59 PM
mradcliff

Glad your Pitts is flying nicely. Biplanes are notorious for needing some mixing. It is normal. Just determine what inputs you need to correct the pushing/tucking and make small mixing adjustments. I am flying mine now and need some mixing too. I’m running the same motor with a 21x8 Xoar prop and you couldn’t ask for a better engine for this airplane. Love it!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM
mradcliff

Here are some pictures of my completed Great Planes Pitts. I purchased this plane unfinished over 12 years ago and finally got around to getting it flying. It flies beautiful. VV40 twin is perfect power for this aircraft. I enclosed the elev, rudder, and aileron servos. I used only lower wing servos with pushrods operating the upper ailerons. In addition I enclosed my battery switches inside the cockpit and made the canopy slide in order to access them. Smoke system works great hope to post video in the future.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:15 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Nice!!!
Old 04-03-2021, 04:58 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire66 View Post
Hello, I thought I’d see how everyone is doing? I flew my Pitts a couple weeks ago and again today. I’m loving this airplane. I have it dialed in again after a radio update this winter erased all my planes. I’m using 4 ailerons servos, and a separate tailwheel servo and rudder setup. The VVRC 40cc twin is awesome for this plane. It’s fast enough and has great climb performance with the xoar 20x8 sword prop. I love this combo.

question: on a knife edge the nose is pushing/tucking hard. Is this a setup problem or normal? Do I just add a mix to compensate or have I overlooked something? I’m not experienced with aerobatic setups.

Not knowing what the wings and stŠb incidences are makes that a really difficult question. I think I read somehere that the stab is slightly positive on this Pitts, if so then that is most likely the culprit of your knife edge tuck. I would try moving the CG forward a bit. This would require a bit of up trim to compensate and would help the knife edge tracking. Raising the trailing edge of the top wing would also help with the knife edge as it too would require a touch of up trim to compensate. I try to sort these things out as best I can without mixes. Typically unless you have a very advanced TX, your mix will be linear but the control cross couple is not.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 04-03-2021 at 05:04 AM.