Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF >

Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

I have built the PT-17 Military Stearman, and I am very anxious to fly it, but I have heard some rumors that are making me think twice before flying it. I have installed an O.S. 91 II with a 15x8 prop on it. PPL. have told me that the 91 will not lift the plane off the tarmac. Is this true? Won't the O.S. 91 II be a sufficient amount of power to fly this plane? I am not looking for aerobats or anything....I just want to fly. Does anyone else here have this same set-up? is th 15x8 prop correct? Is the engine correct?? Thanks!! Bill [email protected]
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .91 will fly it fine. It will be very scale like. Just don't expect a rip roaring stunt plane. It will make a nice relaxing model to take out flying for a Sunday afternoon.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks a lot Super08! That is very good news. I have the feeling it will take its' maiden today. I will post pics and/or vid. of the days events. hopefully successful events. Take care! Bill
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: isxism

I have built the PT-17 Military Stearman, and I am very anxious to fly it, but I have heard some rumors that are making me think twice before flying it. I have installed an O.S. 91 II with a 15x8 prop on it. PPL. have told me that the 91 will not lift the plane off the tarmac. Is this true? Won't the O.S. 91 II be a sufficient amount of power to fly this plane? I am not looking for aerobats or anything....I just want to fly. Does anyone else here have this same set-up? is th 15x8 prop correct? Is the engine correct?? Thanks!! Bill [email protected]
I flew a GP RV-4 arf with the OS 91FS and experimented with many different props. Based on my experience I found the best prop (by far) was an APC 14x7. I would think that a 15x8 might be too big.

Howard
Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM
My Feedback: (25)

The first engine I had in my PT 17 was a Saito 100 and in my opinion flew very scale like but required almost full power to feel comfortable. The other thing is with the Saito 100 was it required 1lb of lead in the nose to balance and I hate putting dead weight in a plane. I ended up with a Saito 150 in it, not because thats what I think it needs but thats what I had lying around and it balanced without any additional weight added. With the Saito 150 it is way over powered (but thats what throttle management is for). I believe a 120 size four stroke would be the perfect engine, I have seen one fly with an OS 120 & a Saito 125 and both flew great. When it comes to scale planes I don't believe in over powering them I think they should be flown like the real version of it. So if you want to do more than scale aerobatics with this plane (IE: 3D type aerobatics) then you may want something bigger than a 120 size fourstroke, with that being said and this is my opinion only if you are wanting to do 3D why not buy a 3D plane. Even with the Saito 150 I fly it pretty much like the real version at scale like speeds and performing scale like aerobatics.

fossil
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Great. Thanks Guys for the info. Thats what I want to do, fly it like scale but also be-able to get out of it's own way and do a few loops now and then with a little smoke, but no 3D flying. I hope to build a Nosen Cessna 310 in a year or so but after I learn to fly much better than I can now. Dave.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Super08

The .91 will fly it fine. It will be very scale like. Just don't expect a rip roaring stunt plane. It will make a nice relaxing model to take out flying for a Sunday afternoon.

I am planning on taking out the Stearman for its' Maiden flight this afternoon....weather permitting. We'll see just how well the .91 flies it. All I want is to be able to get it off the ground and land it safely. No aerobats and/or stunts. I am pretty anxious to fly it.
I took out my P-51 .60 Marie yesterday morning, and after a little tweaking, she flies nice, but a little too quick for me. I do not like the way she bounces on landings at all!!! I may have to re-inforce the L.G. as they bent a little upon the landing....not bad though.
I like slow flying planes, that is why I thought the PT-17 would be good for me. I also have a Sopwith Camel .60 and a P-47 Thunderbolt .60 that are ready to fly, but I am just a little nervous about flying for some reason. I am not a good pilot at all, but I have had more success than disaster, so I guess that is a good thing! Anyways, please wish me luck! And thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM

I hope all goes well. Give us a report so I may know what to expect when I do a Maiden. Safe Landings.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM

isxism good luck, I think you're going to like how it flys. From what you say you want it should be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM

My experiment with the OS 160FX on the PT-17 continues. I mounted the engine on it's side as I didn't like the headaches with it being inverted. My pitts muffler should arrive soon. No one has any PT cowls in stock so I found someone who had a Super Stearman cowl in stock. I left the red on the front and painted the rest grey to match the fuselage. This cowl is larger than the regular PT cowl and will completely hide the engine and muffler. Here is how it looks so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55948.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1192831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47465.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1192832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82560.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1192833  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (21)

My experiment with the OS 160FX on the PT-17 continues. I mounted the engine on it's side as I didn't like the headaches with it being inverted. My pitts muffler should arrive soon. No one has any PT cowls in stock so I found someone who had a Super Stearman cowl in stock. I left the red on the front and painted the rest grey to match the fuselage. This cowl is larger than the regular PT cowl and will completely hide the engine and muffler. Here is how it looks so far.
Super08,
The plane looks good with that cowl on it. It's a great idea. Just out of curiosity, have you flown that plane with some other engine besides the 1.60??
Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

I am planning on taking out the Stearman for its' Maiden flight this afternoon....weather permitting. We'll see just how well the .91 flies it. All I want is to be able to get it off the ground and land it safely. No aerobats and/or stunts. I am pretty anxious to fly it.
I took out my P-51 .60 Marie yesterday morning, and after a little tweaking, she flies nice, but a little too quick for me. I do not like the way she bounces on landings at all!!! I may have to re-inforce the L.G. as they bent a little upon the landing....not bad though.
I like slow flying planes, that is why I thought the PT-17 would be good for me. I also have a Sopwith Camel .60 and a P-47 Thunderbolt .60 that are ready to fly, but I am just a little nervous about flying for some reason. I am not a good pilot at all, but I have had more success than disaster, so I guess that is a good thing! Anyways, please wish me luck! And thanks for all the advice.
Good luck on your maiden. Please be aware on your maiden flight that with the lower power that your .91 four stroke will provide and the slower flight speeds that it is important to use the rudder along with your ailerons to make proper turns. At slower speeds this plane flies very much like the full scale and requires rudder coordinated with the ailerons so that it doesn't just "skid around" in a turn.
Please keep us posted on your first flight.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: crazy8s

Super08,
The plane looks good with that cowl on it. It's a great idea. Just out of curiosity, have you flown that plane with some other engine besides the 1.60??
Yes, I first flew it with an OS 1.20 Surpass III and then a SPE 26 gasser. The 120 was nice and allot of fun. All of my other planes were gas so I thought I would change it to the SPE 26cc. I didn't like how it flew with the SPE. I had sold my 120, but I still had a 160FX with only about 2 gallons through it so I put that on. You wouldn't believe what this plane can do with this engine. I have the cowl all mounted now and it completely encloses the side mounted engine with no cut outs except the ones for cooling airflow. All I am waiting on now is the new muffler which should be here any day.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Super8, what paint did you use on the cowl? I was going to do the same thing but I couldn't find a gray that came close. Yours looks pretty good!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM

It is Tremclad automotive rust primer. It looks even closer in person than in the pics. For some reason the pictures make it look darker than the Monokote. I topped it off with some clear gloss that is fuel proof.

I did a web search and I can't find it. I have had it for a long time. It looks like Rustolium owns or has bought out Tremclad and I did find this. http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...7_front200.jpg It may be the same or it may not.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM

Super08, Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try! Did you use Lustercoat Clear, or a Rustloeum clear?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:14 PM

So were you able to get the maiden in or did you get rained out like the rest of us on the East coast??? =)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM

I have a couple of questions concerning application of decals for this particular model. It's such a beautiful airframe, I don't want to ruin its appearance with an uninformed approach to applying what will be the largest decals I have dealt with in my short 2 years in the hobby:

1) For the number "380" on the fuselage sides, should I cut out and apply each digit separately or as a single 3 digit "block"?

2) For the large star insignias (sorry, I don't know the proper name of them ) on the upper wing surfaces, how much clear decal material should I leave around the outside edge of the blue circle?

Thanks

Tim

Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 PM

I cut them out separate and I only leave about 1/32" of clear. Others opinions may vary...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM

I find it easier to keep the number spacing and alignment correct if the whole decal is applied at once. The trick is to put some soapy water down on the area so you can lift and reposition the decal if you get it crooked the first time. Using some masking tape to help lay out the decal's position helps too.

That said, I didn't use the supplied decals with my PT-17, as they are incorrect in multiple ways. The side numbers are way too large, the US NAVY font is incorrect and too squished together, and the blue in the wing roundels is too light. I had Callie Graphics make me new vinyl decals of the correct size, font, and colors. It was a huge improvement.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97407.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1194270  
Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Super8: I just bought the OS 1.20 Surpass III W/Pump for my GP PT17 Stearman and was wondering if this Engine will pull it Vertical? I bought it from Tower Hobbies with the discount they sent me for $359.97. I thought that was a good deal.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 AM

When I had mine I could pull straight up and it would slowly lose speed until it went into a hover for a few seconds before slowly falling back in a tail slide. Looked real good.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks for that info. I am really looking forward to flying that bird and hope to put a smoker in it.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't replied. I did not get a chance to do the maiden yet. The weather has been horrible. Yesterday, we had 50+ MPH winds. It was my 41st B-day, and cooking on the grill was a challenge, let alone trying to fly. I will attempt the maiden another day, and hopefully I will report good news. I will make sure to have pics or a vid to share. Thanks for being patient! Bill
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Is there a flying wire kit made for the GP PT-17 Stearman that's to scale and not the elastic cording? Actually I am looking for the scale Mounting Brackets and turn buckles that made up the original looking equipment. I have looked around and found many kits but for everything else. That's just my luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.