Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Spacewalker - Great planes vs. Seagull & G3 vs. AFPD

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Spacewalker - Great planes vs. Seagull & G3 vs. AFPD

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacewalker - Great planes vs. Seagull & G3 vs. AFPD

Spacewalker Owners and friends,

I'm having a hard time choosing between the larger discontinued (i could probably find one anyway) Great Planes Spacewalker & the presently available Spacewalker II by Seagull. According to these forums and threads on the 2 different/similiar models, I'm leaning more towards the larger Great Planes model because of :

1) the wheel pants / smaller foam wheel problems on grass of the SWIII really think the wheel pants are part of the "beauty' of the plane)

2) its inherent take off / tip stalling problem.

The GP Spacewalker owners consider their models to be "floaters" without any of the take off problems - having to apply right thrust to the engine mount or rudder application to compensate the SWII model is a drag.

I don't have the real flight G# or G2 to compare with but the S[pacewalker model in Aerofly Pro Deluxe is very much a floater as far as landing and there's no noticable take off glitches.

Can anyone who actually owns these 2 similiar yet at the same time "different" models comment on the pros and cons --

I also have a nexstar and avistar. Fortunately, the money spent is not really a consideration.

I don't have the patience/time to build the Sig version- by the way.

root
Old 05-01-2005, 04:41 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Default RE: Spacewalker - Great planes vs. Seagull & G3 vs. AFPD

Does anyone care about this enuf to help me make a decision???
Old 05-01-2005, 04:48 PM
locolobot

I have seen the spacewalker from GP and from seagull both at the field and flying. I liked the GP one enough to buy one but have not put it together as yet. The seagull model is smaller and not as well built as the GP one. I think it pretty much depends on what you are going to put on it engine wise. The GP space walker will require a larger engine but will handle the wind much better. Just my opinion and two cents worth. One other thing I will add since I have built the GP Ryan Sta M and just finished it. Now working on a Seagull Zero and the instructions between the two are worth a lot . If you are not an experienced builder of ARF's or models then I suggest that you get the GP Spacewalker. Has much better instructions and pictures to guide you with. Also, I have the GP spacewalker in my shop but not had the time to build it yet.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
granpac

Root:

I have only had the GP Spacewalker and I really liked it.
I lost the first one due to the greatplanes CA hinge layers seperating. It could not be repaired.
The 2nd one got only 3 flights and the MPi switch failed and just turned off everything. I was lucky as I was on down wind landing and the engine was at idle. the plane went into a very slow right turn and into a plowed field. I just finished rebuilding it today.
I would sure strongly consider the GP but I have never even seen anyother.
[8D]
Dick C
Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Thanks for the replies----I have decided to go with the larger GP model because of reasons stated earlier & the windy conditions that never seem to let ?>?>":{}#@#** up here at the Jersey Shore.

NOW I HAVE TO LOCATE ONE!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody have a New In Box Great planes Model that they are willing to let go for what it cost them..........Please?

root

p.s. Any pros and cons would still be accepted as useful info cause if I can't locate a Big One --- Then a Seagull model will be settled for (especially cuz I have a OS .46 FX max and an evolution .46 that are yearning to be run ASAP)

-I might even just get the 120$ seagull cuz it's soooooooooo cheap-----

***!.........it's only money!

Old 05-02-2005, 08:00 AM
locolobot

I have a new one (1/4 scale Spacewalker by GP), still in the box. I guess I could be persuaded to sell it to you for the original price I paid for it plus shipping and insurance, (which I would have to contact fed-ex to find out how much that was). I paid $199.99 (stupid 1 cent, can't understand why they don't say 200), for the ARF when it was on sale in tower hobbies last year. I cannot tell you how much shipping would be to you but I will not ship it without insurance to cover damage since replacements would be hard to find. If you are in iterested in purchasing the ARF at that price let me know by email. One other thing, It will take a 2 stroke .65, or a four stroke 91, to fly this plane and then its only adequately powered. You might want to check GP website for recommended engines, etc. Just let me know for my wife doesn't care about my planes one way or another.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
rcuser002
Banned

locolobot,

Thanks for your offer.

Can you find out the shipping and insurance to 08736 or 07701.

root

p.s. Can't find your e-mail address - it's hidden according to your profile.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Fastsky

Re: "I lost the first one due to the greatplanes CA hinge layers seperating." < I have lots of these type of hinges. I throw them in a box when I come across them in a kit. I only use the plastic ones with the metel pins in between. I pin both both sides of the hinge with round tooth picks. Makes one less thing to have to worry about. [8D]
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
granpac

I too have stopped using the GP CA hinges. Of course you never hear about GP doing anythiing about fixing their problem.
But the spacewalker is a great design, to bad they are dropping it.[8D]
Dick c
Old 05-03-2005, 06:59 AM
conyank

For those of you that opted for the Seagull Spacewalker II, a word of warning.

Perhaps it was my model building, but the pushrods flex to the point of pending disaster. When inputting my throws, I pushed on the elevator and with mild effort could flatten the control surface to neutral. All I could see was coming out of a loop with no up elevator available.

I opened the bottom monocoat and installed a brace as far back as I could get and also installed one at the first bulk head behind the servo tray. This fixed the problem and removed my worries.

I highly recommed you do the same.

Bob in Connecticut.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 PM
easyflyer 23
My Feedback: (19)

I have a Great planes 1/4 scale space walker with a almost new super tiger G75 on it the engine only has 7 tanks of fuel through it .and all the servo in it and new cowlen and wheel pants for it all you need is your reciever and transmitter will ship in the usa only .330.00 plus shipping check it out item #88948 give a call at 601-434-2279 or e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
rcuser002
Banned

This Is "root" to easyflyer 23

I have to be honest and admit to bidding on easyflier 23 "s ad in the RC classifieds and then (after the binding Bid) asking him to be so kind as to putting me on hold

till I cleared a deal I recieved an hour after the bid making to him of 100 bucks minus the engine he had.

easyflyer 23 is an officer and an gentlemen in accepting my bid on "Pause" until I found out more info on my new deal"

The fact of the matter is that his plane is a great deal at His asking price (and I owe it to him to publicly announce it and take it away from me as of now to compensate the
informal
retract from me).

root

p.s. by the way, easyflyer 23 -

I still havent heard to finalize the hold up on my bid----------

patience is a virtue---they say--!!??

root - out
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
rcuser002
Banned

I feel fortunate because I was able to score a New In Box Great Planes Spacewalker for a very reasonable price.

It's arriving in a few days and now I have to decide on an engine.

According to the many threads on this popular although discontinued model, forum members who own and operate the plane seem to be split up into 2 camps.

One group recommend the 91 sized 4 stroke which won't give you great vertical/ aerobatic capability but will provide a very scale like performance without the agility that the plane was not set out to do in the 1st place. Just a Great Sunday flier. But you have to add lead to the nose to compensate the stock tail heavy condition.

Then there are those who say go with the 120 size 4 stroke which will give you the vertical/aerobatic qualities if needed - but you pay the price with the ballooning tendency requiring tweaks to the wing incidence to compensate the annoying "ups" during throttle spikes.

Has anyone flown or owned a GP SW with the following set up I am describing? If so, please let me in on what to expect.

As of this moment, I'm leaning towards a YS 91 FZ which is another discontinued model.

My reasoning is that the discontinued 91 was considered by many members to be way more powerful & a few more ounces heavier than the OS and Saito 91's at the time.

The newer YS 110 that replaced the 91 is about the same wieght but a little too powerful and possibly creating the balooning problem along with the +$100 price tag.

What also influenced the decision: I edited the AFPD flight sim's Spacewalker with suggestions from a member who has a G23 in his and the tweeks to the engine and prop makes the plane able to "low fly by" below 1/4 throttle as well as instant 12ft take off with 2/3 throttle. Not at all close to original expectations of the relaxing Sunday flier.

If anyone would like to give an experienced opinion on my present choice, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm looking/praying for a possible New In Box YS 91 FZ 4C or a reasonbly priced / "hardly used" one. Luck be a Lady tonite!

Has anyone flown or owned a GP SW with the set up I am describing? If so, please let me in on what to expect.

Any info / comments are welcome.

root
Old 05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

I've been flying the GP Spacewalker for a lot of years now with the OS 91 with pump. It has plenty of power for all the various aerobatics you are capable of doing. No it won't do 3D but that isn't what the plane was designed for. The plane is also very agile and quick. First time I did a snap with it I felt for sure the wing was going to come off. I've got expo put into the control because it is very quick to respond without it. I can fly that way but prefer it to be a bit more smoother for the type of control inputs I like to use.

Replace the cowl with a fiberglass one. The ABS one will crack pretty quick. The landing gear wire is pretty soft but then again it is music wire from China. I put a spring hanging down from the center of the gear and then ran some picture hanging wire from one gear leg, through the spring and then to the other gear leg. Soldered wire at each end. Worked well to prevent the landing gear from spreading out. Used a pull-pull cable set up for the rudder. Ran a third line from the fuel tank to a fuel dot to make filling/unfueling the tank easier.

The wing mount bolting system is a bit funky. If you overtighten the screws, you can see the sides start to bungle in. You can either reinforce the sides with ply or run a piece of ply between the sides (properly reinforced to the fuselage sides), drill into this and install blind nuts or thread the wood. Either method works, it is what you are most comfortable with.

I also replaced the tail wheel with a CB tailwheel. Use a large battery pack to help with balancing but you are probably going to have to add some lead. Glue it on to the inside of the firewall with epoxy.

The plane is a floater when landing and is pretty much a ***** cat during that phase. Sorry to hear that they are discontinuing the plane as it was the first large scale plane that I "built". For an ARF it was pretty much built like a tank, which I prefer vs. the more crappy construction of a lot of ARF's today.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

I see this thread goes back a few days, and you've already decided to get a GP Spacewalker, and I'm sure you'll be happy. Since I haven't seen any comments from fellow Seagull SWII owners, I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

My experience with the plane (about a half season of flying, minor accidents, rebuilding, and more flying) indicate that even in the smaller size, it's a very docile sport plane, with no bad tendencies. I feel the Seagull model is, if anything, a little overbuilt (the landing gear bolts alone could hold a trailer!). For its size, I think it's a little heavy, and benefits from a bit more engine, although mine flies beautifully with an Evolution 46NT in the nose.

Whether it's from control slop, some aerodynamic quirk, or some undiscovered servo twitchiness, mine has a tendency to hunt a little in yaw at higher speeds (everything being relative), but it's completely manageable. I've considered adding tail braces just because I like the looks and feel that a little extra bracing back there could only help. I'm not aiming for pure speed here, but rather solid, relaxing flights.

I'm quite happy with my plane and enjoy basic aerobatics with it, including spins, from which it recovers immediately and predictably once controls are neutralized. I've tried mild snaps, and managed to lose one of my pilots for my troubles, but the plane is quite happy nonetheless. By the way, I used standard Futaba servos (3004's for controls serfuces and a spare 148 for throttle) and have had no problems in that regard.

Takeoff's were a little difficult at first, until I got a handle on it's taildragger tendencies (it's a little short-coupled, so keep up elevator until flying speed is developed, and be prepared with right rudder to counter torque). Landings are simple, slow, and quite pretty when I'm able to three point it in just so. I have flaperons dialed in, and this makes landings a breeze, even in the breezes. Al in all, a very satisfying Sunday flier!

It's not a climber (at least not on the Evo 46), and it's not a speedster (as previously noted) but I don't think that's what the plane was intended for in any case. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and I'd be just as inclined to own a larger GP version if I happened to come across the right deal at a swap meet.

Good luck with yours, and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:09 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Thanks for the energy about your planes.

I still wonder if there's anyone out there who's had a YS 91 or 110 in their spacewalker that could give me some advice or enthusiastic praise for my choice of engine and plane "match up"?

root
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

root, I am sure you'll like the GP SW however you decide to power it. The YS .91 will be great for the reasons you mentioned. I'd say a 1.20 4stroke is also a good match ONLY because the extra weight will let you balance the SW easier. It doesn't really need the extra power to fly well.

I only did the G23 to experiement with my first gasser plane. I would not recommend doing the extra work and mods required, unless you REALLY want to use a gasser. As is, my SW flies great and is one of the very few gasser planes I have that can be stuffed into my commuter car.

I will try to do some more experimentation with the SW in AFPD. So far, the flight characteristics seems fairly close, with the same balooning tendency on upwing turns I experienced with my real thing. I don't have the power factor dialed in correctly, though, as my AFPD version doesn't take off after a 12ft roll.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

My GP Spacewalker was one of the best planes I have ever had the pleasure of flying. I had a .91FX on it with 15 x6apc prop and it flew incredibly precise, very aerobatic and easy. It came in at 10 pounds even. One thing I did do is modify the landing gear so it was 1"further forward and 1" taller.--I found that it wanted to nose over with the stock landing gear. The YS91 or S120 would be great on this plane!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Anyone got a YS 91 FZ they want to sell??

I'd pay a reasonable amount for this discontinued engine.

root
Old 05-14-2005, 12:36 PM
STG

Look at the market place.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=98351
Old 05-14-2005, 02:26 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Hey GPSpacewalker,

Thanks for the HEADS UP about the classified ad --I went for it -- just what the Doctor ordered ........a YS 91 FZ in cherry condish and the price was right as well as the model being almost NIB.

By the way for all you YS 91 fans - the differences between the 91 AC and the 91 FZ are:

YS first started making the 91 AC with a muffler that could potentially crack the cylinder head during a crash

It was changed to a different shape in the later FZ model

AND the AC was originally made with a smaller carburater

It too was changed to a larger size resulting in more overall power in the later FZ.

There was also some info I read at one time about the AC's piston being a different shape and creating more rocking/ vibration potential in the cylinder.

Thanks again GPSpacewalker for the "heads up"!!

root aka Bob G

Old 05-14-2005, 09:36 PM
STG

[sm=thumbup.gif] Keep us posted
Old 05-18-2005, 06:13 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Just got my Spacewalker new in box and it came unharmed.

Wow what a monokote job -- 1st thing I noticed

I have a lot of mods to consider since reading all of the threads related to the plane:

1 landing gear reinforced or custom built
2 rear wheel
3 larger wheels
4 reinforce cowl
5 paint cowl w/ fuel proof paint
6 reinforce wheel pant supports
7 move battery and servos for CG balance
8 lessen the wing incidence from 3 degrees to lower amount
9 pin type aileron hinges versus stock non-pinned versions
10 Add Sig decals to rear stabilizer and wheel pants

Are there anymore that I forgot ????

root