Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Venus .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Venus .40 ARF

Old 10-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a closer shot of the fuselage.

Another photo...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28955_2519.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	18336  
Old 10-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Mike James

Default Great Planes Venus .40 ARF

Here in Anchorage, we only have a few weeks at most until the snow starts, and I want to cram in as much fun as possible. Since I crashed my "old reliable" Ultra Sport .40 earlier this summer, and have been looking for another .40-size plane to have around for inexpensive aerobatics, I bought a Great Planes "Venus .40" ARF. I have to say that I'm seriously impressed.

This is a very nice piece of work! I've attached a couple of photos of the kit contents, right out of the box. Several nice features:

The firewall has already been fuelproofed. The tail surfaces have a nice airfoil taper. All parts were individually bagged and separated, including the very complete hardware packeage with tank, spinner, wheels, pushrods, and all the other items you need. The glass work on the cowling and wheel pants (Yep, glass, not plastic!) was VERY nice, and pre-pregged in the appropriate matching red color. The color scheme is very nicely done in 9 colors (!) of Monokote. The canopy frame is pre-painted, (and on the INSIDE, where it makes sense) and makes even a sloppy attachment look neat. Pushrod housings for the elevator and rudder are already installed.

It's a traditionally-built kit, so repairing any damage that might occur is the same as any other wood kit. It's a good clean design aerodynamically too, so I'm sure it'll fly well. I'll be assembling it in the next few days, in it's "stock" configuration, and using an OS .46FX with 10/8 APC prop and a Futaba radio.

At less than $200, I consider this a good buy.

Name:	28954_2519.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	18335  
Old 10-05-2002, 09:47 PM
FilipM

The Venus flies great too. I love mine and it came out very light with a Saito 72. The wing RTF with servos and bellypan was only 18 ounces. The whole plane RTF dry was 5lbs. The only thing I don't like about the plane is the pink underside so I re-covered mine in cub yellow - this looks better, has none of the pink "issues" and is more visible in the air to boot. Now GP where is the bigger .90 size one?

GP please no more pink, please...
Old 10-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Mike James

Default More info...

My first impression of the "Venus" is so good that I've decided to add a "mini-review" of it to my web site, at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...us40arf01.html

Here you'll find more photos, a brief synopsis of construction as I go along, and a flight review.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:48 AM
bentgear

Mike, you may want to do a search on here on "venus" as there are several threads on the subject. You will like the plane. The 2 main gotcha's are one of the wing bolts needs cutting off to clear the push rod and double check the engine mounting distance from firewall, you may have to set it back further than spec or add some blocks to the firewall. Its not a 3D plane but does fly very true. Mine is set up now so the low rates equal the high rates in the manual and the high rates are about 50% higher. It will require more down than up elevator and mine is balanced mostly for knife edge flight.
Ed M.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:34 AM
Mike James

Default Yep

Thanks Ed.

Before I bought the "Venus .40", I did as you suggest, and searched all the threads that were relevant. The "search" function here is something that would save a lot of re-posting, if participants would use it.

I like this kit, and I'm sure it'll perform well, with details subject to individual flyers' tastes. I think that, compared to many other ARFs, it's a good value, and a well-built kit. I expect to fly it in a few days, and don't expect any problems.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Schuie Driver

I think you'll like the plane Mike. Mine went up for the first time today and I've got an Irvine .53 on the nose. Not quite unlimited vertical with a 10x7 prop, but I'm hoping that once the engine breaks in a little more and I change the prop that it will be able to achieve that. Plane does the nicest knife edge even with low rates Little fast on the landings, but again I only had two flights on her today so that could improve. If I could figure out how to post pictures here I would.

Just a few things to look out for on the build that have already been mentioned. Cut the nylon bolt that's on the throttle side of the wing...in stock form it's too long and hits the throttle cable. Also make sure you check the fitting of your engine with the cowl BEFORE mounting. My engine needed to be moved back on the mount in order for the cowl to fit properly. I also fuel proofed the inside of the firewall as mine only looked like it had been done on the outside.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Mike James

Default T Minus 10 hours...

Got the Venus done, and weather permitting, will fly it later today. Here's a photo. More on my site, at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...us40arf01.html

Name:	29559_2519.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	18337  
Old 10-10-2002, 12:05 AM
Mike James

Default Venus .40 first flights

It was about 30 degrees, and the wind was blowing about 20 mph and gusting, but we went for it anyway. Because of the wind conditions, it was impossible to identify details about the model's tracking, etc.. But...

Right off the building table, the model required no trim adjustments at all. That's not as common as most people claim, and proves to me that Great Planes built this model straight. Using an OS .46FX and APC 11-7 prop, the plane has great vertical performance, (but not unlimited) and does all the standard aerobatic maneuvers well. I looped, rolled, snapped, lomcevaked, etc.. It also loses energy quickly and lands well.

The most surprising moment came when I attempted my first knife edge pass, and applied too much rudder. The Venus simply pulled around in a knife edge loop! It takes very little rudder, and only about 1/2 throttle, to fly a nice knife edge.

Great Planes has a winner here, in my opinion. The constuction of the model is nice and strong, yet very light. (I haven't weighed mine yet, but it should be about 9 ounces or more lighter than an (original) Ultra Sport, for example... about "4.8 to 5.3 pounds", according to the book.

Nice!

Name:	29711_2519.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	18338  
Old 10-10-2002, 12:26 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Oh thanks a bunch Mike, I've been following your progress with the Venus and now look at what you've gone and done ! You flew yours and said it flies great! I was balancing (quite nicely thank you) on the fence about buying the Venus and now I fell off the fence and to mend my bruised ego, I just HAVE to order a Venus tomorrow! Seriously, your input about the Venus helped alot. I was very much considering the U Can Do but was more than a little put off by the horror stories pertaining the the crushed ribs etc. etc.. Your blow by blow from the git-go pertaining to this airplane makes me believe that this is a worthy project. I've got your web sight book marked for quick reference and when I GET MINE I'll be refering to it for tips and continued progress. Thanks again for posting this topic. Joe
Old 10-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Mike James

Default It's a nice one!

My pleasure, Joe.

I fly a lot of different things, but it seems that I "must" always have some sort of semi-hot aerobatic plane like the Venus. (or in the past, my old "Ultra Sport") It's not a 3D plane, but it's a very nice aerobatic ship.

Can't wait to fly it on a nice day. Happy flying!
Old 10-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho Mike,

Could you explain how you did the fuel tubing? how do those fittings work?
interesting, and I'm doing a cowl now....PITA for sure.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Mike James

Default Fuel Tubing

Old habits die hard... I did it this way so I never have to mess around with the cowling, and so I could move the tank aft, closer to the CG.

The lines are color coded. (Blue=fuel Pink=pressure) I used the Fourmost fuel fittings (available from Tower Hobbies, at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXG851&P=7 ) in the side of the airplane.

The tank is the included one with a two-line setup. There's an inline filter in the fuselage, so that fuel is filtered between the tank and carb. I used ZAP "Goo II" to seal the holes in the firewall, around the tubing. (and throttle pushrod housing)

The pressure line runs from the muffler, through the firewall, to the pink fittings, then to the "vent" line in the tank. The fuel line runs from the carb, through the firewall, to the blue fittings, then to the "clunk" line in the tank.

To fuel the plane, release the fuselage-mounted pressure line (pink) first, to release any remaining pressure, and to avoid being squirted with fuel. Then release the fuel line (blue) and fuel through it. The pink line serves as your overflow.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Mike James

Default Day two of Venus test flights

A few days after the first flights, we went out again. It was drizzling rain, but dead calm. (Due to the rain, we didn't pull out the camera, so I have no photos of this day's flights....Next time!)

Thanks to the calm, I was able to get a better picture of this model's handling. With the Venus still balanced at the factory CG, all the positive attributes noted on the first flight were confirmed. Rudder response is very close to being "pure yaw", and this not only results in good knife edge flight, but enables some pretty spectacular steep approaches. In a series of touch and goes, I brought the model over the field for a short final, but at an altitude of about 150 feet. Reducing the power to idle, applying full rudder and opposite aileron resulted in a slow knife edge decent that I felt was safe to continue until about 25 feet. I've had some aerobatic planes that didn't like to sideslip, but the Venus is stable.

The Venus snaps and spins when you want it to, but is otherwise very stable. I flew the plane around at a safe altitude, on high-rate, full up elevator. The plane rocked it's wings like crazy, but was so stable that I could fly it in a straight line with no aileron or rudder correction. It's great to discover this at a safe altitude, so you know that if it occurs close to the ground, you won't feed in a lot of correction that could cause the model to stall. I really like this simple design.

I noticed some "hunting" in pitch, when transitioning between slow flight and high-speed flight, but this was easy to correct. For the next flights, I will reduce my low-rate control throws somewhat, (Mine were higher than those suggested in the manual.) and move the CG slightly aft, in an attempt to flatten spins. I'll then post the results here.

A review of this kit is on my site, at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...us40arf01.html
Old 11-01-2002, 04:49 PM
APD
My Feedback: (15)

Default Re: Fuel Tubing

Originally posted by Mike James
Old habits die hard... I did it this way so I never have to mess around with the cowling, and so I could move the tank aft, closer to the CG.

Mike, just out of curiosity, how far back is the fuel tank? It looks like from the photo that it might be about 2 1/2 or 3 inches from the firewall. Have you had any problems drawing fuel into the carb with the tank that far back?

The lines are color coded. (Blue=fuel Pink=pressure) I used the Fourmost fuel fittings (available from Tower Hobbies, at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXG851&P=7 ) in the side of the airplane.

The tank is the included one with a two-line setup. There's an inline filter in the fuselage, so that fuel is filtered between the tank and carb. I used ZAP "Goo II" to seal the holes in the firewall, around the tubing. (and throttle pushrod housing)

The pressure line runs from the muffler, through the firewall, to the pink fittings, then to the "vent" line in the tank. The fuel line runs from the carb, through the firewall, to the blue fittings, then to the "clunk" line in the tank.

To fuel the plane, release the fuselage-mounted pressure line (pink) first, to release any remaining pressure, and to avoid being squirted with fuel. Then release the fuel line (blue) and fuel through it. The pink line serves as your overflow.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:51 PM
APD

BTW- sorry about the formatting on the last quote; went crazy with the bold button....
Old 11-01-2002, 05:15 PM
APD

Originally posted by APD
BTW- sorry about the formatting on the last quote; went crazy with the bold button....
Also, does anyone know offhand how many oz. the fuel tank is that comes w/ the plane?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:20 PM
Mike James

Default the tank

It's a 10 oz. tank. (I moved mine back as far as possible, to get it closer to the CG.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 PM
APD

Default Venus 40 wheel pants

OK, got another question that clearly illustrates my newbie building skills. Anyone have suggestions on how to install the wheel pants on the GP Venus 40? Photos? I've tried to set them up the way the manual explains, but I have not had success with it. When I tighten the bolt that holds the wheel on and connects to the landing gear (tight enough to keep the wheel pant from coming loose), it ends up being so tight that the wheel itself cannot spin. If I loosen it to allow the wheel to spin, the wheel pant comes loose and flops all over the place. Too tired to figure it out right now, so I thought I'd just ask....
Old 12-03-2002, 03:57 PM
APD

Default Venus 40 wheel pants

OK, got another question that clearly illustrates my newbie building skills. Anyone have suggestions on how to install the wheel pants on the GP Venus 40? Photos? I've tried to set them up the way the manual explains, but I have not had success with it. When I tighten the bolt that holds the wheel on and connects to the landing gear (tight enough to keep the wheel pant from coming loose), it ends up being so tight that the wheel itself cannot spin. If I loosen it to allow the wheel to spin, the wheel pant comes loose and flops all over the place. Too tired to figure it out right now, so I thought I'd just ask....
Old 12-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Mike James

Default Wheel Pants

Interesting...

I never installed mine, because I was flying off grass and wanted to avoid wrecking them. I'll check them out within the next few days, and let you know what I find.

I suspect you need separate lock nuts for the axle portion, so that the wheel pant fit isn't contingent on the wheel tightness.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:19 PM
APD

Thanks Mike. I'm curious....
Old 12-03-2002, 09:22 PM
robert

Wow, this plane looks good. Does anybody know who distributes them in Europe?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:27 PM
APD

Can't help you with that one, Robert. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:39 PM
FilipM

Great Planes products are not available in Europe???

I love my Venus and came out very light and strong 4lbs 15oz. Its a terrific plane and flies great, for example it does an amazing knife edge spin and also TRs a bit even when very noseheavy, I cant wait to see how it flies now that I moved the CG aft according to the new manual.

The only things that could be better are somewhat bigger elevators and also larger ailerons both in span and chord for 3D, and of course get rid of the ugly pink wing/stab bottoms - I recovered mine in yellow.

GP needs to do one like this at 65 inches, 7.5-7.75lbs, 780-800 square inches, bigger surfaces and of course no more pink monokote.

APD:

I figured out a way to mount the wheelpants. Ill post some pictures later on. Basically it involves cutting a rectangular slot in the pants so the gear leg goes inside.

Starting from outside the wheelpant.

Pant wall.
Bolt/axle.
Wheel.
Nut (Locktited to Bolt/axle and with enough space for the wheel to roll)
Gear leg.
Second pant wall.
Washer.
Locknut.

Pics later.

Filip

Filip

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.