Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Moki 180 should I buy???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Moki 180 should I buy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 06:07 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 180 should I buy???

I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new Moki 180 at a great price but I'm having a hard time deciding on a 3D capable airframe for it so I'm on the fence on whether or not I should buy it. I have been looking at planes that are a good match for an OS 160 or Saito 180 (among others) as I want to have plenty of power for 3D. I am wondering, though, is the Moki 180 too heavy for a 3D plane? I know it makes great torque and power but the weight has me wondering. Anyone flying this engine on a good 3D airframe?

Here are a few planes I have looked at in order of personal preference...

1. Dave Patrick Edge 540 - looks very nice and light but most people seem to be putting the Moki 210 on it. It is Dave Patrick's recommended engine for this plane, however. http://www.davepatrickmodels.com

2. Quique's - Yak 54 72 inch - looks very nice but the 180 may be too much for it??? http://www.somenzini.com/grafico2.htm

3. Chip Hyde CapX - Reportedly bad covering job but a good match? http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...CHCAPXARF.html

4. Dave Patrick Extra 330 - Reportedly not as good as the Edge but may be a good match for the 180. http://www.davepatrickmodels.com

5. Kangke Cap 232 120 - Don't know too much about it but have heard Caps tend to be "snappy" (which the CapX has supposedly addressed) and I want a solid 3d plane. http://www.kangkeusa.com/

6. Wild Hare Edge 540T 72 inch - Don't know much about it yet - good plane? http://www.wildharerc.com/Products/Edge120/edge.html

Of course the Moki is a nice engine due to the relatively inexpensive glow fuel requirement and good power but the extra 9 to 10 ounces in weight has me wondering if I will regret the purchase later. On the other hand, some planes require a little more nose weight so it could also be a good thing depending on the airframe.

Would you buy it and what 3D airframe would you put it on?

He also has the Moki radial mount at a good deal. Should I get the mount or use the mount that comes with the ARF I choose?

Thanks!

FlyerBry
Old 06-10-2005, 07:38 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Moki 180 should I buy???

The Moki 1.8 is a great motor. Very smooth and powerful. I used a cline reg and med fuel line when I had a GP Pitts. The Moki radial mount is heavier than most beam mounts and has a large Dia. If you need extra weight and have the room use it. Personally I would pick the plane I want first then find the best motor to match my flying style. A good deal is no good if it does not fit your needs. A friend at the field had one in the other company that makes a similiar Cap? . It looked like a good fit but he ended up selling the setup.

Carl
Old 06-10-2005, 08:15 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Great engone for the Cap X or the Dave Patrick Edge, I have one and have flown the other. The 1.80 would be a good choice for either. As to the Edge, a good friend of mine bought one and flew it with a DA 50 at first. Never liked it much although it was gruesome power. After talking to DPM models about it, he reluctantly swapped out the motor for an OS 1.60. The plane flies much better now but may be just a tiny bit down on power. The Moki 1.80 is probably the perfect balance of weight and power for the plane.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:38 AM
rcmiket

I've got one in the G.P.'s Eagle and love it. Picked it up used from a guy who really din't take good care of it. Cleaned it up and run the Omega 5% in it. Starts ever time no bad habits, runs like a top. I would pick it up even if you don't use it for awhile. They seem to be going away here in the states and the Mark is taking its place. I havent heard much about them so snag the Moki while you can. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97464.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	283027  
Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Great engine, but if you buy it make sure you buy a Cline regulator too or it won't run very well.....

#5 above is an awesome combo for that engine. Its a cap, but it is not snappy at all.. !

DP
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 AM
rcmiket

Just future reference whats with the regulator. We have a few 1.80 and the 2.10 here and never had a problem. Thanks Mike
Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I have the Kangke Cap 120. A nice flying machine, but a 3D machine it is not. It's just too heavy at 13 lb. I had a Moki 180 in there, swapped it out for Super Tigre G2300 to lighten it up to 12 lb, but has barely enough power. Video:

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=55638

I put the Moki 180 back in there, but still not quite the power I am looking for.

I think the Cap X should be a better 3D machine for a Cap.

I plan to transfer my Moki 180 onto an OMP Edge profile 80" whenever I get to it. It's a great flying machine, and won't suffer from the extra weight of the engine. People put anywhere from OS 160 FX to 40cc Gassers in there, and all seem to fly very well.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kangke CAP232 with the Moki and it is a great combo. I can do 3D with it pretty good and also IMAC stuff too. The Cline reg is a good idea, especially with tank on CG like mine. Flies way better.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
carlbecker

The Cline regulator can be used if you don't go with large fuel tubing or want to mount the tank on the CG. It uses the crank case pressure through a one way valve to pressurize the fuel tank. A valve is placed with in one inch of the fuel inlet of the carb. If you have a remote needle valve it would fit between the carb and needle valve. The valve closes if no vacuum is on the diapharm inside. Once vacuum opens the valve fuel passes into the carb. Pressure is maintained in the tank after running and shutting the engine down.
A line with accessible plug is required to de fuel and fuel. Works very well with the Moki which can chug generous amounts of fuel at full throttle.

Muffler pressure and large fuel tubing or Perry pumps may work well.

Carl
Old 06-10-2005, 02:37 PM
rcmiket

Thanks, haven't had any problems but ya never know. Thanks Mike
Old 06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
seanychen

Joe, perhaps I should get those Bambula 18x8 for my Moki 180 on the Kangke Cap, because I have not been able to prop this Moki for adequate power for my 13-lb. Cap to 3D well quite yet. Maybe I should make a call to RC Showcase instead of talking empty words...
Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 PM
FlyerBry

Thanks guys, this is some great info. I am leaning towards getting the 180 and the Dave Patrick Edge.

I'm still a bit curious about the Quique Yak but haven't seen too many comments on it. The ones I have seen do sound positive though.

The CapX sounds intriguing with this engine but the comments I have heard about it make me nervous. It sounds like it is a step below in quality when compared to some of the others. Seems like poor covering and some of the hardware needs to be replaced. It is $100.00 cheaper than the DP Edge which would be a good reason why.

The Kangke may be a good match for the Moki but it doesn't do much for me - not quite sure why. Maybe the covering scheme is a little bland for my tastes.

The Wild Hare definitely looks cool but there doesn't seem to be much info on it in the threads. I have seen a couple of their larger planes and they look nice. I could do without the Wild Hare graphic on the wing, however.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 PM
seanychen

Dave Patrick Edge = good choice.

If you are looking for a BCM Pitts muffler, I have a spare one.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 PM
FlyerBry

One more candidate to add to the list...

7. Hangar 9 Extra 260 - This one is still pretty new but looks to be a good match for the Moki 180. The current thread on this plane sound like it still has some issues to be ironed out by Horizon. The CF landing gear seems to be delaminating on normal landings for some owners. I'd hate to have to turn around and have to buy new gear when the stock gear should be sufficient.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:10 AM
seanychen

The 27% H9 Extra 260 should be pretty close in size & weight ratio with the DP Edge.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:11 AM
FlyerBry

The H9 Extra looks nice but I'm still leaning towards the DP Edge for a couple of reasons. First, the landing gear issue is a big one to me - my local club has moved to a new field and the grass isn't quite perfect yet. The gear install on the DP Edge uses aluminum angle for reinforcement so it should be the stronger of these two planes. Not to mention the reports of delaminating gear on the edge.

Second, the wing loading on the Edge should be slightly better as the wing area is slightly larger. However, I don't know that the slight difference will have that much affect on flight characteristics.

The only drawback I see to the DP Edge is the slightly higher cost.

I think these are probably the two best choices overall.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:20 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FlyerBry

The H9 Extra looks nice but I'm still leaning towards the DP Edge for a couple of reasons. First, the landing gear issue is a big one to me - my local club has moved to a new field and the grass isn't quite perfect yet. The gear install on the DP Edge uses aluminum angle for reinforcement so it should be the stronger of these two planes. Not to mention the reports of delaminating gear on the edge.

Second, the wing loading on the Edge should be slightly better as the wing area is slightly larger. However, I don't know that the slight difference will have that much affect on flight characteristics.

The only drawback I see to the DP Edge is the slightly higher cost.

I think these are probably the two best choices overall.
I am waiting to get my hands on a DP Edge of my own right now. The issue with the hanger 9 260 landing gear is an odd one. The gear is plenty stiff enough but when you land on grass, the gear seems to rotate rearwards just enough for the wheel pants to catch in the grass. After one or two landings, the gear delaminates and the problem gets much worse. I have the plane & finally replaced the gear with aluminum gear from an old plane. Graphtec is now making a replacement gear which is no doubt much better, but $50, which puts the price in the neighborhood of the DP offering. If I had to guess, I would say the DP planes and Hanger 9 planes come out of the same factory. They are constructed nearly identically, same ply, same interlocking methods, even the same aluminum plates the landing gear bolts to. The real issue is which design appeals to you the most. Both planes should fly with the Moki just fine, although both may not have a lot left for hard vert in an emergency. I have a ZDZ 40 in my 260 and intend to put a Brison 2.4 in the Edge.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carlbecker

The Cline regulator can be used if you don't go with large fuel tubing or want to mount the tank on the CG. It uses the crank case pressure through a one way valve to pressurize the fuel tank. A valve is placed with in one inch of the fuel inlet of the carb. If you have a remote needle valve it would fit between the carb and needle valve. The valve closes if no vacuum is on the diapharm inside. Once vacuum opens the valve fuel passes into the carb. Pressure is maintained in the tank after running and shutting the engine down.
A line with accessible plug is required to de fuel and fuel. Works very well with the Moki which can chug generous amounts of fuel at full throttle.

Muffler pressure and large fuel tubing or Perry pumps may work well.

Carl
One more note about this combo (Cline regulator and Moki 180): The crank pressure from the Moki is significant. Make sure your fuel tank is well sealed and not one of the Sullivan thin material tanks. Also, when you need to re-fuel or de-fuel be sure to release the build up pressure before disconnecting the fuel line or unplugging the fuel dot to re-fuel or de-fuel. If you forget this step you will have a high pressure stream of fuel all over you.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:39 PM
aegis

I had the 1.80 and it ran very well. On the 2.10 I have now I use the Cline regulator. As Hilleyja said, the Cline really pressurizes the tank so what I do is release the pressure at the end of each flight. I usually don't re-fuel until I'm getting ready for the next fight and that way the tank isn't still pressurized between the end of a flight and when I fuel it.

Dan
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
FlyerBry

I was thinking of using the Cline regulator. Where are these available and what do you guys recommend for a fueling dot that will take the pressure well without blowing off? Maybe the Slimline setup?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 PM
JoeAirPort

I would try one. They are very light so the engine rev's pretty quickly. Also the paddles are pretty big so the thrust is good and so is the downline braking. I have the 18x8 on my 1.80. I have the 20x8 on my 2.10.

ORIGINAL: seanychen

Joe, perhaps I should get those Bambula 18x8 for my Moki 180 on the Kangke Cap, because I have not been able to prop this Moki for adequate power for my 13-lb. Cap to 3D well quite yet. Maybe I should make a call to RC Showcase instead of talking empty words...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 PM
JoeAirPort

I have the DPM Edge and Moki 2.10 with a Cline regulator. Talk about a very consistent running engine with the Cline. I had it out in 90 degree HUMID weather and it ran flawlessly (about 3-4 gallons through it). I almost think the 1.80 would fly almost as good as the 2.10. The 2.10 for some reason does not have that much more power than my 1.80 does if at all. I turn 8400 RPM's on my 1.80 with a Bambula 18x8. I turn 7000 RPM on my 2.10 with a Bambula 20x8. The engine runs well but just does not turn that extra 300-600 RPM's that I would expect. It hovers at about 60-70% thottle but it was set pretty rich.

And the plane has to be seen to be appreciated. It is a beauty and flies very large and light at 15 pounds. The quality is WELL worth the extra money you pay. The landing gear is a beautiful painted aluminum and is not likely to bend. The wheel pants and wheels are also top notch stuff. The wheels only weigh like .6 ounces each (feather weight foam wheel with light plastic hub).

By the way the guy that said he didn't like the Kangke CAP232 covering: everybody that sees it in person loves it and comments on the covering. It's a good looking bird, especially knife edging 6 feet off the deck at about 50 mph.

PS: People should drop the nitro to 0% in the Moki's. They run way better, sound cooler (no rattle), and the fuel is only $9 a gallon if you buy that Morgan FAI fuel by the case. It's 17% oil, 30/70 castor/synth. The fuel economy is the best with no nitro. Power is the same if not better from running cooler.

I was thinking of using the Cline regulator. Where are these available and what do you guys recommend for a fueling dot that will take the pressure well without blowing off? Maybe the Slimline setup?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:48 AM
aegis

FlyerBry - I use the Slimline set up with the Cline regulator. Never had any problems with pressure leaking. Something to do if you use the Cline - Consider using fuel line clips. I didn't at first and had a fuel line on one side of the regulator come off in flight.

Dan
Old 06-15-2005, 07:44 AM
JoeAirPort

These are about the best fuel dots out there:
http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/pro...clefueler.html

The J-tec ones are also good.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
FlyerBry

Thanks JoeAirPort,

Those fueling dots look nice and the price is right. I'll have to pick up a couple. The props look nice too!

On the Cap covering... My comment was more based on my personal preference for covering, not that I think it looks bad in any way. The DP Edge could be a little flashier looking but the overall quality is what gets me with that one. I really like the looks of the QQ Yak and Wild Hare but I think they are both too small for my needs. I really do prefer the slightly larger size overall.

Thanks everyone for all the great input!

BTW, I picked up the Moki last night. It is one beefy engine! Can't wait to see it pulling a plane around...

FlyerBry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.