Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Sukhoi Su-31 - Anybody have an opinion???

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Sukhoi Su-31 - Anybody have an opinion???

Old 06-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Cub_Boy
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Sukhoi Su-31 - Anybody have an opinion???

Hey Guys,

I just purchased the Phoenix Models Sukhoi SU-31 I am planning to use my OS 46FX in it.

If you have purchased/flown one of these can you pass along some of your experience???

What engine did you use?

What prop size/pitch did you use?

Any issues with the kit i should know about before I put this together?

Look forward to your responses!

Cub_Boy
Old 06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
67ssmike

Default RE: Phoenix Sukhoi Su-31 - Anybody have an opinion???

This plane is a great little flyer..i have a magnum 52 xls with a 11x7 prop.The plane went together very nice i didn't use the supplied push rods they'll probably work fine but i just didn't like the set up. I used futaba 3004 servos with a R127 Receiver.with the 52 it came out a little nose heavy so i put the battery in behind the servos to ajust the CG .mine balanced out at 105 mm from the leading edge.I flew it last weekend for the first time and it was a screemer.It did rolls with no effort..great plane IMO. good luck ..
Old 06-19-2005, 09:27 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Flying Plane, and pretty descent quallity for the price. Mine has a Saito 72 4stroke Golden Knight with Futaba Gear. Plenty of giddy-up-go! Good Luck, and enjoy it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37477.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	286951  
Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 AM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

I cannot say about uilding it because I bought mine used. They fly great though. I have a O.S. .61 FX in mine with a 12x6 prop. Very fast and great verticle. This is only my second plane so it may just be me but it seems like it comes in hot on the landing.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Check out my User Review.

Name:	Ca80242.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	353997  
Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I have one with a few miles on it, you might change the gear mounting to nylons screws, after a few deadsticks the gear has been ripped out twice.
After 2 times its getting harder to remount the bulkhead the gear is attached to.
I installed wing skids also to help for the ocassional tip stall on flare.
TT 46, 11/7 prop, original tank but stopper changed, original pushrods but different ends,Dubro hardware.
The tailwheel wire is soft also, can be updated to Dubro also.

David
Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 AM
airlyons

I've got one with oodles of flights on it! (probably 80 - 100?) Awesome first aerobatic airplane! I've got the OS .46 fx and while it flies great, at 4000 feet above sea level it doesn't have lots of vertical. If you break in that engine properly you should never have a dead stick. I've had one and that was just because I ran out of fuel! It spins awesome, and snap rolls well also. Aileron rolls with high rates are insane! The gear is really strong. I've had a few bouncers and with all the landings the gear is still intact and has not bent at all! The only thing I had to do was put on a new tail wheel. I tried an APC 12.25 x 3.75 due to the big cowl but would not recommend it. I now have a master airscrew 10 x 6 on her ... way better.

Oh ya.... mounting the engine as instructed (45 degrees inverted so the muffler comes out the bottom) is AWESOME! I rarely have to clean it!

Have fun,

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 01:51 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Great plane and very strong. It can withstand the most violent tumbles and snaps and keep on going. I was very impressed the way it flies. I did away with the decals it came with and ordered the Kyosho ones instead. It came out looking pretty good.

I did have a problem with my engine over heating so I cut out two slots on top of firewall to help exit the air going in. Also I added pull pull to the rudder instead of the pushrod. It probably does not need it but I did this anyways. Also for the elevator I added a splitter on the end of the pushrod so both sides have a pushrod. I really did not like the idea of the bridge in middle to control both halves.

I flew mine with and OS 46FX for a while and it did really good but to me lacked some power. I later installed a MVVS .77 with mini pipe and it is a beast. Very fun to fly and plenty of power.

Name:	Om33567.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	354077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63654.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	354078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29636.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	354079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48966.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	354080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65352.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	354081  
Old 05-26-2006, 03:22 PM
rytherd

i flew my su31 for the first time. i have the evo46 that came with the p-51 pts.(may it rest in peace) i put a 10x8 prop, didn't care for it, put on a 10x6 prop flew way better.not into 3d flying so am going to keep it this way. this was my first build had a little problem with the fuel tank, didn't like the 3 lines that came with. so i put on my p-51 fuel tank an i put on a remote fuel system. for my third plane i like it. thinking about flapron any help would be helpful
Old 05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rytherd

i flew my su31 for the first time. i have the evo46 that came with the p-51 pts.(my it rest in peace) i put a 10x8 prop, didn't care for it, put on a 10x6 prop flew way better.not into 3d flying so am going to keep it this way. this was my first build had a little problem with the fuel tank, didn't like the 3 lines that came with. so i put on my p-51 fuel tank an i put on a remote fuel system. for my third plane i like it. thinking about flapron any help would be helpful
Try an APC 11X6 or 11X5 prop; I think you will like it. Slows the plane down and increases thrust for better vertical.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 AM
rytherd

i'm running a apc 10x6. so a 11x6 or 11x5 will make that much of a diffence
Old 05-27-2006, 03:57 AM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: rytherd
i'm running a apc 10x6. so a 11x6 or 11x5 will make that much of a diffence
PS edit: Sorry rytherd. Got you and the engine you have fitted confused with the thread originator. Not sure what prop will work best on your EVO, but if it's down on power on the AX which I suspect it is, an APC 11 x 5 will probably work best for you. A 10.5 x 6 Bolly would probably also work well. A 10x 8 works well enough in terms on an AX if the model is clean and rigged true and the throttle is kept wide open, but suffers from a lack of acceleration. With the wingloading of the Sukhoi at 2.8kg, even at full throttle with a 10x8, you'd have to keep manouevres open and fast or you'd load up the prop and bog the engine down in the dead end of its power curve with the Sukhoi loading up on 'g', AA and drag following it into coffin corner. The EVO turning a 10x 8 is probably akin to driving your 4 cylinder 1.6 litre Toyota around only in 5th!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:31 PM
rytherd

sigrun. Thank for your input. i put on the 10x8 because i broke the 10x6. notes a big difference. So went out a brought a 11x5 to see how go it will work better then the 10x6. don't know how much a difference i will see. i'm still new at this hobby thank for your help and to the other people that help out too.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:45 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Hey how are you guys doing.

Does anybody think that a OS 61 would be too much engine for this plane. I would like to use a 46 ax but iam afraid it will lack some power. Does anybody know a good engine between these two that would work good.

Thanks Scott
Old 06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
wc524

Many people have put an O.S. 61 in their phoenix models. I personally have their Extra 300S which is shipping to me this week and I am going to put my new Tower .75 in it with all Dubro horns and a pull-pull rudder system. Always remember more power = higher wing loads, but I feel a O.S. 46AX is not enough engine for it. Mount that .61 and enjoy watching it soar like a rocket, but remember wing flutter does start to occur when you reach speeds of 80ish mph. HAHA...Just kidding! Enjoy!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: baddley
Does anybody think that a OS 61 would be too much engine for this plane. I would like to use a 46 ax but iam afraid it will lack some power. Does anybody know a good engine between these two that would work good.
Yes.

You'd sacrificing overall handling and aerobatic performance for haul in the pure vertical.

Phoenix Sukhoi's is already at max. desirable gross dry for a model of it's size (.46 class). An O.S. 46 FX or AX will have sufficient power to pull it vertical for pattern style aeros, and will be enough to satisfy most performance orientated flyers unless you want 'keep going straight up until it's out of sight "unlimited vertical". No matter how you look at it, adding the weight of a .61FX, probably ballast to balance and extra fuel carried to achieve this is going to lose you performance in every area except that one.

Why? Wing loading. You can work out the rest.

If you really must have more power, look at something in a .46 sized case which will keep the weight down, but of larger capacity and preferably developing usable mid-range and solid torque. Irvine .53, JEN .56, ENYA 50CX, etc.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Cub_Boy
My Feedback: (6)

Hi All,

I took a short break during the assembly of my Phoenix Sukhoi Su-31 ; now I can not find my manual.
Can anyone tell me the recommended throws on the control surfaces ????

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 PM
radiohound

This is probably a little late ...

Ailerons 10mm up 10mm down
Elevator 11mm up 11mm down
Rudder 20mm 20mm

CG 100 to 120mm
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM
da Rock

As for putting a 61 in the airplane............

It appears that Phoenix builds the airplane with a large lead weight "hidden" in the fuselage just behind and below the firewall. It is a sorry way to make up for heavy wood in the tail or lack of lightening holes in the rear, but it does provide for the means to use a heavier engine than the recommended 46-50 one. Simply pull that lead and most of the weight difference would be taken care of.

Also, since OS has brought out their new OS55AX, there is a new solution for more power for this airplane. The 55AX measures the same as a 46AX in all the critical measurements. It's a 10 minute swapout. Pull the hoses, pull the mounting bolts and you're half done. Everything lines up. I have a Tiger2 that wouldn't hold a knife edge with the 46AX and it does with the 55AX.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The O.S. Max .55 AX seems like a good fit for this plane. The Magnum .52A XLS might also be a good fit. Like the .55 AX, it's basically a bored-out .46. Global makes an inexpensive Pitts-style muffler for the .52A XLS that may fit under the cowl
Old 12-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

I won one of these ARFs at the club Christmas party last Saturday, and although I was initially tempted to sell it, I think I may indeed fly it. I'm thinking about hanging a Dubb Jett BSE .76L on the front end since it's the same physical size as the OS .46 FX and 10g lighter. Not to mention it'll swing a 14X4 wide blade without any difficulty.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
da Rock

I won one of these ARFs at the club Christmas party last Saturday, and although I was initially tempted to sell it, I think I may indeed fly it. I'm thinking about hanging a Dubb Jett BSE .76L on the front end since it's the same physical size as the OS .46 FX and 10g lighter. Not to mention it'll swing a 14X4 wide blade without any difficulty.
It should be a good flying airplane. All of them seem to be in spite of some "cheap" design details.

First thing to do is look inside the nose of the fuselage and pull the lead if it's there. Then ignore the servo tray and place the servos forward. Plan to put the battery pack beside the tank up where the lead was.

I plan to build another one and all the above is on a list of things to do. I also plan to cut out some of the rear fuselage to lighten back there. It should have been done by Phoenix and is done by almost everyone else.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 AM
da Rock

BTW, if you're going to assemble one of these babies.............

Do a search. There are a couple of threads about the Phoenix Su31. One of them has a couple of pictures and a discussion about how the instructions blow it about the side thrust and down thrust. And there is a screwup in the way some of the firewalls are "holed". The fuel line access hole is used as a reference for placing the motor mount.

With my ARF, the hole would be a good centering reference for the mount if the airplane had upthrust in the firewall. The instructions say there is no thrust at all, up or right. Turns out the firewall is like almost every other, it's got right thrust and down thrust. And the hole wasn't drilled for what was mfg'd. It ain't a biggie, but will lead you to either have the prop not centered or the cowl misaligned with the fuselage. No biggie, just looks. But screwed up looks. Why have that when you can just as easily do it "right".
Old 12-31-2006, 04:22 PM
flyst

I just put one of these babies together(you really don't build ARF's ...just put your goodies in them)for my 11 year old son...then i came here to read the forums...I ..COULD NOT find any weights in his after taking it back apart....wonder why my son's does not have the weights behind the firewall?Over all i found the plane a pleasure to put together...not as much fun as a kit but still a pleasure...ok for a kid is what i really should say....he'll be yanking it around with a saito 72,spinning a 13x4W, and an old pcm airtronics...last thing still to do is balance it ...hope to fly it new years day...or should i say watch him fly it...joe
Old 12-31-2006, 04:54 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: flyst
I just put one of these babies together......<snip> I ..COULD NOT find any weights in his after taking it back apart....wonder why my son's does not have the weights behind the firewall?
It is the Phoenix Su-31 right, and not Phoenix's sibling [link=http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/sukhoi.html]Black Horse[/link] one? Both Su-31 colour schemes are identical except for the decals, and the models almost but not not quite so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.