Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
klimski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of RC planes. I thought this looked like a good place to pick up some info. Anyone in here from the St. Joe county Michigan area? Looking for someone to mentor with and do some weekend flying and learning.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: sedawk

Pit-Viper 1: Thanks for those pics! That looks great. I already have an O.S. 91 Surpass II 4-stroke. Do you think it would be too much? It looks like there's plenty of room if I mount it inverted. Can the airframe handle the 91? Ii think earlier in the thread there was somebody that had a 60 2-stroke mounted which should be similar. The 91 is about 6.5 ounces heavier than the Saito 82 though. But it's very tempting, because the O.S. is just sitting there. Never been taken out of the box.
The airframe will hold the engine but not the firewall, reinforce from the outside – drill holes and put pins in it. Don’t forget the inside, drop CA in the seams. Give one degree more right thrust and then you are on the right page.

As I said the airframe will hold but not the plastic clevises, you have to change them out. The load on the control surfaces is way Way higher.

And when you are done with it…we like to see a video. Here is mine [link=http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/P51%2010.wmv]Pete's fast PTS[/link]
MDS 0.68 2stroke, 14400rpm 12x8 prop tuned pipe

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
G-Pete

BTW: this was how she looks like before her drastic death. Full throttle crash in a field, 2 foot high grass…it was like a giant Hershey Bar exploded[:'(]….hehehehe….sniff I miss her[]

G-Pete
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
opjose

It's a shame to loose such a Masterwork!

I feel your pain.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Recty

Do you have any videos of your plane flying when it was all chromed out like that?

The Pete's Fast PTS link you gave it still has the default graphics as far as I can tell.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Recty
Do you have any videos of your plane flying when it was all chromed out like that?
Unfortunately, I had never a chance to get the plane on video. To match the covering I had to polish the exhaust and cylinder head.
The covering job was a gei#**mgdsaeee, it means it is very hard. I like to do that once in my life – but after this plane I would not do another. The chrome does not shrink well and to much heat discolor the covering fast. Unlike the regular covering you have to take care of small wrinkles right from the start.
The video does not show exactly how fast this plane was. When you watch the upline rolls, there you can see it.

One word to the Horizon customer service, these guys do a good job and we had engines and airframes exchanged without any hassle.

The PTS by itself is a very, very sturdy plane. I saw many cartwheels down the runway or hard landings. This plane just keeps up with the pilot students – ROOKIES hehehehe.

To the Rookies and Newbie’s here, welcome!

Keep on practicing – share your experience, have fun.

Here is a link with some pictures of the PTS motor change/retracts/crash/rebuild...and and [link=http://ImageEvent.com/germanpete/rc]Pete's Site[/link]

G-Pete
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
G-Pete

...lets see if i can push this threat to page 100....[8D]

Old 08-31-2006, 12:44 PM
G-Pete

nope not yet....how about now?

Happy landings[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
G-Pete
Old 08-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

NOW!!?? lol
Old 08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Recty

That is sweet, the shark mouth you put on the P-51, I might have to do that to mine
Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Recty

I'm also really thinking about doing the chrome covering like you did, when my original covering gets torn too much to patch That looked VERY good.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Recty

ORIGINAL: G-Pete
The video does not show exactly how fast this plane was. When you watch the upline rolls, there you can see it.
Did you ever use one of those devices that test actual air speed on your plane to see exactly how fast it went?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:30 PM
RedTwilight

Great looking plane G-pete. Sad to hear of it's demise. Any plans to get another PTS? I'd like to see how you end up modding it![&:]
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
ARMSJSTEV

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Recty
Unfortunately, I had never a chance to get the plane on video. To match the covering I had to polish the exhaust and cylinder head.
The covering job was a gei#**mgdsaeee, it means it is very hard. I like to do that once in my life – but after this plane I would not do another. The chrome does not shrink well and to much heat discolor the covering fast. Unlike the regular covering you have to take care of small wrinkles right from the start.

One word to the Horizon customer service, these guys do a good job and we had engines and airframes exchanged without any hassle.

The PTS by itself is a very, very sturdy plane. I saw many cartwheels down the runway or hard landings. This plane just keeps up with the pilot students – ROOKIES hehehehe.

To the Rookies and Newbie’s here, welcome!

Keep on practicing – share your experience, have fun.

Here is a link with some pictures of the PTS motor change/retracts/crash/rebuild...and and [link=http://ImageEvent.com/germanpete/rc]Pete's Site[/link]

G-Pete

I WISH MINE HAD OF JUST CARTWHELED. I GOT COCKY AND TRIED AN INVERTED OVER THE RUNWAY WITH ALL THE SPEED BRAKES AND FIXED FLAPS STILL ON AND THE ENGINE WASN'T QUITE PEAK. FULL THROTTLE AND A LOT OF DOWN ELEVATOR AND IT STILL NOSED IN. ONLY THING SALVAGEABLE WAS THE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL AND THE ENGINE,FUEL TANK AND ELECTRONICS. THAT WAS A BIT BEFORE I FIGURED OUT THE REPAIR WORK STUFF.FORTUNATELY I COULD JUST ORDERED ANOTHER FUSE AND WING SET FROM HORIZON AND REBUILT IT FROM THERE.A BIT SPENDY,BUT A LESSON LEARNED..
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
rc-plane

my dad and were wondering if EVO made like a 50 sized moter and if so do you thing it would be good to have in the P-51??
Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

my dad and were wondering if EVO made like a 50 sized moter and if so do you thing it would be good to have in the P-51??

You Bet!! Evolution has recently released a 52. It has the same dimensions and mounting configuration as the .455 and .46 Evo engines. I have been contemplating mounting the 52 in my PTS, but the stock .455 with an 11x7 prop (and no flywheel weight) provides more than enough pull and speed for me.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
phillips

what and how much difference does removing the flywheel weight make.Is it worth the trouble?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Pit-Viper 1

It helps a little but not needed. I removed mine to get every bit of power I could. And it was'nt alot.

Shane
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 AM
phillips

thanks,i read that the flywheel makes it idle better.I am satisfied with the performance with a 11x6 prop.i was wondering whether or not to remove it.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM
opjose

I didn't actually "remove" as indicated in the instructions here, it on mine, rather I purchased a replacement mount, so that I could re-install the flywheel if I wanted.

After pulling off the flywheel assembly and replacing it, I've have had no idling problems, although just to be safe I set the idle speed up a tiny bit.

Removing the fly wheel had a slight effect on the left yaw at takeoff... improving things a little bit.

I still have not figured out if it is worth removing though.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I agree, pro's and con's are about the same. Now if wieght is what your wanting to lose then go get a new flywheel, the one for the .46 is the same size, this way you don't beat up your old one. I think the wieght wieghed in at around 2-3 ozs.

I originally took the flywheel off to see if it would help with the dreaded left pull on take off, kinda sorta it did, after you fly for awhile you kinda forget about it.

Shane
Old 09-01-2006, 02:47 PM
phillips

speaking of takeoff,Istill havent figured out the best method.Start it rolling and then go full throttle and a little up elevator.Or throttle up gradually and let the tail come up and gain speed.Also where are your needle settings ususlly at?My low speed needle is between the two stops at 12 oclock.My high speed is at 12 oclock also but i have to move anywhere from 10 oclock to 2 oclock depending on the temperature.itry to keep it a bit below lean full rpm,to the point where it makes a bit of a smoke trail.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Recty

As far as needle settings go on the Evo .46, with both high and low speed needles, this is what I recommend.

Warm your engine up. Rev to full throttle for 5 seconds or so, then pinch the fuel line closed. Your engine should almost immediately pick up in RPM by a couple hundred, then stop.

If your engine dies immediately with no RPM gain, you're too lean. If it revs quite a bit and keeps on running for more than just a moment, you're too rich.

Once you get that adjusted, go to your low speed. Run the engine (again warm) at ful throttle for 10 seconds, then drop it back down to idle. Let it sit for 3-4 seconds, then pinch the fuel line closed. If it dies right away, your low speed is too lean. If it raises in RPM a little then dies quickly, your right on. If it raises in RPM quite a bit, and for a long period of time, and keeps sputtering and trying to run, then you are too rich.

Hope that helps.

And to answer your other question, I only ever take off in short grass, which makes the plane not as hard to handle, in my opinion. I used to take off on the concrete pathway by the field I fly in, and with no restrictive grass on the wheels it tends to pull left a lot harder.

I basically just go about 1/4 throttle to get it rolling, and once it has a little speed, I just open it wide up and get off the ground as fast as possible. Since I'm already rolling, it only takes 2-3 seconds to get into the air, if even that long. Usually it doesnt even have time to steer to the left, but occasionally it does. I guess I dont really have a good answer, except that I've found slow starts then wide open throttle tends to be better/straigher takeoffs than going from either 0% power to 100%, or trying to do a long smooth takeoff.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 PM
rc-plane

thanks for the replay i was just wondering if they made it or if it would be a good idea. i thought that it would nice to have something a little bigger that the 45 but less than a 60 size!!!!!!!!!!1

thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

I agree, pro's and con's are about the same. Now if wieght is what your wanting to lose then go get a new flywheel, the one for the .46 is the same size, this way you don't beat up your old one. I think the wieght wieghed in at around 2-3 ozs.

I originally took the flywheel off to see if it would help with the dreaded left pull on take off, kinda sorta it did, after you fly for awhile you kinda forget about it.

Shane
I originally had almost 3 oz of tail weight on my PTS. Several people had suggested moving the C.G. back after they flew the plane, to make it more "lively".

After removing the flywheel I lost both the weight of the flywheel and of course all of the extra tail weight... so at least for me the flywheel removal represented a good bit of weight savings.

I didn't look back since by this time I knew my engine was running very reliably.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.