Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

That is a -BIG- prop!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:54 PM
lanny2003

I was thinking of adding the external tanks under the wings (like in the picture above). Put them on a release and use them for bombs. I think it would be fun to try bomb runs with the P51.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Brineymolly

I decided to go with a plain design with my ARF, so I took off the yellow covering, and recovered in plain silver to match the rest of the plane. I was my first attempt at covering, and I'm pleased with the results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62843.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	525113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14986.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	525114   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26970.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	525115  
Old 09-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Not to bad, nice job. If you ever recover the tail section again you should add some balsa stick diaganoly to the vert. and hor. stabs between each rib. This really helps to settle the plane down a bit. Also good oppiritunity to replace those ca hinges with robart hinges, they work like a charm. Good luck

Shane
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
omyc25

hi everybody, i had a some questions for you guys. I'm kind of new to this hobby all I have is an electric 2ch airplane but I'm ready to step it up quite a bit and I'm trying to decide what trainer i should buy. I'm going to buy an airplane in the next two weeks and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy the mustang P51 pts or the nexstar. I personally like the mustang but Ive heard mixed opinions on which is a better trainer and which is more reliable. what do you guys think?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:18 PM
ARMSJSTEV

They're bothh good planes to start on.I have both and I can't reaaly say which one I like better. But at least with the Mustang PTS you can upgrade more than with the Nexstar and if you crash it you can get replacement parts( fuselage,wings) easier than the Nexstar.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:49 PM
ARMSJSTEV

I stand corrected.Tower hobbies does have replacement parts for the Nexstar [link]http://TOWER HOBBIES[/link] I guess it's up to your own preference or which ever one you find first...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Pit-Viper 1

My very first plane was the P-51, and I'm glad I learned on it instead of a high winged trainer. The reason being for me was I knew I wanted more than just to do lazy loops and rolls, I wanted speed and diversity. Now you just really need to figure out what kind of flying you want to do, also remember this. It was much easier to fly other planes after I learned on the PTS, where as I've watched people learn on high wiged trainers and they have a hard time transitioning to other planes. (low wings such as warbirds) Now I know this may not apply to everyone...

Both planes are very good to learn on and will give you many hours of fun flying.

Shane
Old 09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
BCarter

ORIGINAL: omyc25

hi everybody, i had a some questions for you guys. I'm kind of new to this hobby all I have is an electric 2ch airplane but I'm ready to step it up quite a bit and I'm trying to decide what trainer i should buy. I'm going to buy an airplane in the next two weeks and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy the mustang P51 pts or the nexstar. I personally like the mustang but Ive heard mixed opinions on which is a better trainer and which is more reliable. what do you guys think?

My 2 Cents worth:
The PTS is a neat plane and I love it. However, I would buy it in ARF form then purchase a 52 size motor, and a computer radio. The reasons are simple, the 52 will give you more power and therefore speed, the radio (either 6 or 7 channel) will give you room to grow. I regret my radio which came with the RTF versino is only 5 channels, I know want to have a plane with retracts and flaps but cannot with this 5 channel radio. It also doesn't have any mixing capabilities such as flaparons. You may also consider a mustang from Nitro Models, the 50 size comes with retracts already !!! Finally, I would sugest asking if any clubs you may be considering joining have trainers you can use already. Some clubs will let you train on them at no cost. The nexstar is definately easier to fly then the PTS with what ever configuration you have, but it gets boring ( I have a nexstar too). As so many have said, you have to have an instructor, at least for the first 20 or so minutes of flying, otherwise you will probably crash. Your experience with the electric will be a good asset.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:36 PM
ARMSJSTEV

YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT GROWING AND LOOKING FOR MORE THRILLS IN A PLANE.BUT FOR JUST STARTING OUT HAVING NEVER FLOWN GLOW ENGINES BEFORE,THE PTS RTF IS EASIER THAN STARTING WITH AN ARF BECAUSE 1. LEARN TO FLY FIRST AND FIGURE OUT THE AERODYNAMICS AND STUDY A READY BUILT PLANE HOW IT'S PUT TOGETHER. 2. THE TX THAT COMES WITH THE PTS HAS A 2 PLANE MEMORY,1 FOR THE PTS AND ANOTHER FOR WHATEVER PLANE YOU WANT TO PUT ON IT. FIRST TIME I BUILT AN ARF (BEFORE FLYING GLOW) I MESSED IT UP. IT'S ALWAYS BEST TO CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK,WALK BEFORE YOU RUN AND RUN BEFORE JOINING AN ACROBAT TEAM.THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR ARF'S LATER.AND THEN YOU'LL GO OUT OF CONTROL WITH'M, RIGHT GUYS??
Old 09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Pit-Viper 1

There is also another P-51 from VQ warbirds in a 40 size that comes with retracts but no flaps, but the retracts are Oleo's instead of wire gear. The ailerons are the length of the wing and can be easily cut and a servo added for flaps. $199 this will probably be my next Mustang.

[link]http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/p51d.html[/link]

So many to chose from...

Shane
Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 PM
opjose

It's important to remember that a lot of people starting out, do not have the aid or where-with-all to handle engine tuning, let alone putting together an ARF in any form.

The PTS is an EXCELLENT first plane for those who want a trainer, are prone to progress quickly, and are reluctant to purchase anything that looks like a rudimentary Cessna.

IMHO the best package out there in the Cessna type trainer class is the Hobbico Nexstar, simply for what it includes for the price... e.g. Realflight (A REAL sim for a change), a decent engine and plane, the AVS system but a somewhat LOUSY TX.

The PTS is the next step up, however it provides a lousy simulator, but improves everything else (minus the self righting electronics)... The radio is GREAT compared to other 4 channel offerings and does support two models.

Yeah, the TX is no where near as good as a 7+ channel computer controlled model, but you'll have a tough time convincing a newbie to drop over 300.00+ on just a radio.

I don't know how many times I've try to get a novice not to make the same mistakes, but they cannot rationalize a good radio set until they are hooked into the hobby.

The PTS gets them in the door with something that they will not regret having, nor feel like selling simply because they are over the training period.

Yeah an ARF version -IS- better, BUT that newbie eyeing the PTS is more likely to go with something inferior if the advantages of the ARF version is pushed their way...

So the ARF advice is spot on, but wrong for the majority of newbies as they simply will not do it.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Very well put...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Shane
Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
omyc25

thanks for all the info, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the rtf p51 pts. sometime this week or next at the latest. I'll let you all now when I get it.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

If you are not going to go hard why go at all
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Bird Dog

HI I have been flowing this rag sence day one and really think it is a good one. I am a newbie and got my 51 for Xmas last year and to day I am excited and wanted to pass on to all of the newbies out there it does fly great and easy if all the flaps and stuff is left on as directed it will fly fine for you and will be able to fly it. Yep to day I was so excited when I decided to hang up my elect planes and fly the gas from now on tell I can fly it right. So to day with every one saying I need a instructor and it isn't a trainer, I took the P51 for a Solo flite. It worked fine and ran great and is easier I think then some of the elect cause it has power to spare. Now those who said (my instructor who quit on me after three lessons and we took it in to the wheat field and said he was not training me on it any more until I get a trainer) May just have to grow up and smell the roses. I used as they instructed all the training aids and did use flaps on take off and flew with flaps on and will do so for a while. It is very slow that way and easy to fly. Not scary fast like I was being trained. My landing wasn't picture perfect but nothing broke and will fly again. Now that I know what to expect from landing I can do better next time. there was about a 5 mph wind blowing. Just to excited to not pass it on. Now to run a few gallons threw it before winter. Bird Dog
Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
omyc25

hey, I just bought my mustang yesterday. Ive been trying to us the simulator that comes with it but I don't know what I'm doing wrong(if anything) because I cant use the radio to fly the airplane for some reason. I installed the software and plug the radio but it won't control the airplane. Does anyone knows what it could be?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Well here are the facts. I bought this plane to get back to flying. I quit about three or four months ago. My new p51 came with a 6 channel radio. Thats right a SX600. The PTS engine is a .46 size engine with a 3 blade prop. The plane does not fly quite like a traditional trainer, but is a very easy flying plane. The engine also runs very well. After the initial start with a electric starter I was able to start with a chix stick the rest of the time. Nothing about this plane is hard to understand all of the instructions are very easy and well explained. For those that are worried about it being a tail dragger. Just point it down the runway with a little right rudder and she climbs very nicely even without flaps. The only complaint I have is the canopy comes preglued in place. Either they should not glue it or spend $10.00 more and put a pilot in it. Who ever saw a pilotless airplane especially a warbird.
Thanks and happy flying
Alan Outlaw
Not affiliated with any rc company of anykind!!!!!!!!!!! Just a lover of flying.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 PM
ARMSJSTEV

THE BEAUTY OF NOT HAVING A PILOT FIGURE IN THE PLANE IS THAT IF YOU HAVE A BAD FLYING DAY YOU CAN BLAME IT ON THE PILOT FOR BAILING OUT JUST WHEN YOU NEEDED HIM MOST
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
DaveBrubaker

ohmyc25, Make sure you charge your radio before using the sim. If I remember correctly I had to do the same thing before it would work.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM
ARMSJSTEV

[link]http://Great Planes RealFlight G3 R/C Flight Simulator[/link] I'M SURE EVERYONE HAS EITHER SEEN THIS OR AT LEAST HEARD OF IT, BUT IF YOU'RE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING R/C FLYING, I THINK THIS IS THE BEST TOOL YOU CAN USE. IT HAS TUTORIALS, DIFFERENT TYPES OF AIRCRAFT, AND ASSORTED FLYING FIELDS. IT REALLY HELPED ME TO LEARN A THING OR TWO. I'M THINKING ABOUT TRYING OUT A LITTLE 3D ON THIS.THE PRICE SEEMS TO HAVE GONE DOWN A LITTLE SINCE I GOT MINE AND IT SEEMS A GOOD BIT OF CHANGE, BUT IT IS WORTH IT. I STILL USE IT FOR A LITTLE STICK TIME WHEN IT'S TOO NASTY OUTSIDE TO FLY. IT AIN'T THE REAL THING,BUT IT HAS A LOT OF ADVANTAGES... NOW BACK TO OUR MOVIE....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:33 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: omyc25

hey, I just bought my mustang yesterday. Ive been trying to us the simulator that comes with it but I don't know what I'm doing wrong(if anything) because I cant use the radio to fly the airplane for some reason. I installed the software and plug the radio but it won't control the airplane. Does anyone knows what it could be?
Don't bother the sim that is included is absolutely WORTHLESS!!!!

Even the free FMS sim does a better job, and yes it works with your radio and cable.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Pit-Viper 1

The only thing that sim will do is get you used to your basic stick controls, down=up and up=down etc., etc. I did use mine for about 2 weeks before I ever flew and I'm glad I did as you will be more familiar with the controls. Go to your LHS if they have a sim hooked up and available and use it as much as possible. Thats what I do if I don't get out for awhile. Prices are getting a little more reasonable for them now though. H9 just came out with one, not sure how it is, and unless you're some insane 3D flyer anything that works will help a ton.

Nice thing about sims is the "reset" button, you don't get many 2nd chances out in the field.

Shane
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 AM
omyc25

hey fellas, i know Ive been asking a lot of questions but I'm afraid i have another one . I'm kind of excited that I'm going to start flying this coming Sunday with an instructor and I'm trying to get all the field equipment that i might need for now. the thing is that my LHS is about to hours away and I'm in college so i was wondering of the things that i need like voltmeter(multimeter), and other simple tools. which one them i could buy at waltmart or radio shack or any electronics store. For example, can i just buy any multimeter to check my batteries, where else can i find a tachometer(do i need it?), any other things if any. Id really appreciate any help
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I would say the most essential tools to have would be, fuel, fuel pump, extra prop(I would just get a 2-blade 11x7 prop to replace the 3-blade if you happen to break it) crescent wrench to change prop, set of allen wrenches to remove nose cone (spinner) and a couple phillips screw drivers to check landing gear hold down tabs. Chech the gear after every landing as they will loosen up. Put a few drops of thin CA in each hole prior to going out as this will help keep them in place. Also remember that if you have to replace the glowplug be sure you get a 4-stroke plug as this motor does not use 2-stroke plugs, OS Type "F" for example.

The volt meter you can get at radio shack or walmart but not sure about the tach. Tach isn't as important though so don't worry if you can't find one right away. You will be able to tell easy enough when you are tunning when you are at max rpm. I flew for about 3-4 months before I ever got one and still rarely use it. Other than that, just some sunblock or a coat and some cool shades. [8D]

Good Luck,

Shane

P.S.
Oh yeah, don't forget your radio and trainer cord like I did my first few times out..
Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
ARMSJSTEV

DON'T FORGET A GLOW STARTER AND A TORQUEMASTER WOULD BE NICE,BUT IF FUNDS ARE LIMITED, A CHICKEN STICK WILL DO. FUEL,PROPS AND EXPENDABLE STUFF YOU'LL DEFINATELY NEED,BUT AS FOR TOOLS,STARTERS AND THINGS LIKE THAT, MOST GUYS AT THE FIELD MIGHT LET YOU BORROW THEIRS TO GET STARTED. BUT STILL IT'S NICE TO HAVE YOUR OWN. [link]http://Hobbico Ultra-Tote Field Box Complete Combo[/link] YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THIS, BUT IT'LL GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHAT YOU NEED.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.