Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:03 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Nice trim job, well done.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 PM
stallwart

Thanks, olstoney. I thought painting the tail a different color and removing the invasion stripes would prevent the "shell game" effect when the several other PTS owners in our club have theirs in the air at the same time. Of course, my lack of skill in air will make mine identifiable to everyone else.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:17 PM
speedpro 1

stallwart
where did you get your pilot and head rest? and also what did you use to reattach the canopy? thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 AM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone at Vector Flight listening??? I received my Extra 300S in July and I'm still working on it to get it in the air.
ORIGINAL: Wojo13760

My son and I started with a nextstar easy to fly but my son showed off a little to much and met the ground head on, so I picked up a twist 40 and put all the parts in it, a little to much for the both of us!!! So I picked up the P-51 on Thursday and put it together on Friday and my son was flying it on Saturday, we took off the air brakes and I put in the 5th servo for flaps. 14 years old and he went right into the sky with it, with 6 landings the first day.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 PM
stallwart

Speedpro 1. I used a 1/6 20th Century Ultimate Soldier P-51 pilot' head, mae west and cut some straps from the supplied chute that comes with it. It's a bit expensive to kitbash one of these, but they are not among the best figures in my opinion os the sacrifice was made---Dragon, Blue Box and a few others are better. The torso was a cut down 1/7 molded figure that Horizon sells. I painted the torso, used a small block to screw the pilot's head into and fastened it to a light ply floorboard that was fastened into the cockpit with 3 small servo screws.
The backplate and headrest were cut and shaped from some scrap balsa. There is also the top portion of a seat back made from thin styrene sheet. I also peeled off the supplied instrument panel and glued a reduced photo of a P-51 panel in it's place.
Finally, the canopy was glued back in place with canopy glue (available from Horizon) and held down with low stick (blue) masking tape until set.
I would suggest looking for some of the above items at your LHS.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:42 PM
stallwart

Another note on this airplane: The landing gear on mine was not set into a block sufficient to hold against a hard landing. Today, my first landing was dead stick. I bent one gear leg, but was able to reposition it easily. The second landing was quite a bit harder, due to misjudgement on my part, and resulted in wallowing out the "post hole." Another PTS owner reported he had to install a block after the same problem occured with his a/c.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 PM
olstoney

Can one of you guys please give me a measurement from the wingtip to the outboard edge of the droop? The replacements need to be retaped back on and I'm not sure how critical the placement is.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:28 PM
stallwart

From the wingtip to rear edge of droop on underside of wing I measured 1 1/16".
Old 10-02-2005, 06:41 PM
olstoney

stallwart,
Got it, thank you very much.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:46 PM
SeattleFlyer

Yesterday I flew my PTS for the first time - and the first time I had flown anything! I was in good hands being buddy-boxed to my very experienced trainer (big warbird guy). Getting the wing on at first was a bit of a pain as we couldn't get the wing bolts to thread very easily. After that we range checked it and then fueled it up and fired up the motor which fired right up after like two flicks of the prop. My instructor couldn't believe how easily it started. We ran a tank through it set really rich before flying just to be safe - we were both a little weary of the "don't need to break it in" business. The engine idled really smooth and consistant. All is good. After that it was time to see how she flew. We cut the speed brakes off first heh.

My instructor got it in the air and got the trims all setup, flew around a bit, then brought her in for a perfect landing. "She sure looks nice!" I was thinking. Then my thoughts shifted to "hope she still looks like that after I fly her!!" hehe. We got the radios linked together and all the trims and stuff set so each radio had the same settings. Hmm, the weather isn't looking so good with some sprinkles off and on, a bit windy, and some seriously dark looking clouds coming in. Ah well, lets fly. So we taxi back out and he gives me control so I can checkout what it's like to taxi. Piece of cake - I've raced nitro 1/10 scale on-road cars for years so this part was a no-brainer pretty much. So then my instructor takes off again. He runs the circuit a time or two and then it is my turn! I'm thinking "ah hell, here we go!" He gives me control and my first thought is "hmm, a little more sensitive than the simulator." My instructor is instructing me to make some nice long turns and giving me some throttle advice and whatnot but holy crap, I'm flying!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

So to make a long story short, we flew the plane for a total of 5 flights without any issues. My instructor had me do some slow and close flybys to start getting me setup for learning to land. My instructor always took off and landed, but I think I'll be giving landing a go next time out as my runway approaches got a lot better as the day when on.

I was really happy with the airplane - it glided really nice with no throttle at a pretty slow clip. I should mention that I have put the optional flap servo in my plane and we flew it with flaps UP all day, even when landing. My instructor looped it, rolled it (roll rate was pretty decent), and pulled off some other acrobatic moves with it. Impressive considering we left the motor tuned very rich and it has the plastic wing dealies on. "Woohoo! This is rockin!" I was thinking.

After the fifth flight lightning started flashing pretty close by and the rain started in on us. Time to pack it up hehe. [X(] [:@] [:'(]

So there you have it. I gotta say it was a smashing success! She came home in one piece and I got a lot of stick time. I can't wait to fly her again next weekend!!

Old 10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent report, SeattleFlyer. Your experience regarding your instructor is exactly how I will start #2 grandson out.

This airplane is definitely on the short list for when the time comes to get him a trainer. A local guy just bought my old trainer; he wants to give float flying a shot. So the fact that the P-51 PTS comes complete won't be a deal; I can use everything but the receiver. And I can probably sell that to the guy who bought the trainer- he's one of the few around here who fly JR.

How is the included sim? Does it need a JR radio to be useful?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 PM
SeattleFlyer

The sim is decent. It has the P-51 and a couple high wing trainers as well. It is pretty basic and nothing too fancy but it does the trick. I'm not sure if it would work with another radio or not.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 AM
olstoney

SeattleFlyer,
Congrats on a successful day and for the flight report.

Steve,
To just give you an idea FWIW, I sold the transmitter, receiver, two servos, trainer cord and the simulator USB link last week on the famous auction site. The bidding held for six days at around $40.00. There were many hits on the item and at one time over 30 people were watching the auction. On the last day the bid doubled and everything wound up selling for $88.00. Not quite what I had hoped for ($100.00), as the receivers are going for a minumum of $45.00 to as high as $55.00. The supplied equipment is fine for it's intended purpose, but as you know is very limited. I had a chance to fly a JR 9303 transmitter awhile back and really liked the feel. It offers some really nice programming features and seems easier to setup than a 9C. Need to save my pennies as the only problem is non compatability with the Hitec QPCM receivers. Maybe for Christmas?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Spectere

Well, since everyone is sharing their flight stories with this trainer, let me share mine.

I got my PTS about 1 month ago from my LHS. I picked it up along with all the field equipment I would need (starter, field box, etc.) I had previous experience with electric park flyers and about 100 hrs on the G3 simulator. I got the plane home, build the plane in about 1.5 hrs. Did not find any manufacturing mistakes except that the wheel collar was loose. I tightened that and charged the batteries overnight. The next day I went to my local field with AMA confirmation and club application in hand. I was welcomed very quickly into the group and soon had people around the pits looking at this 'Trainer in Mustang Clothing'. Everyone liked the looks of it, but some were skeptical. Anyway, the local expert helped me fire the engine up and we ran a tank of fuel through it and adjusted the engine. Unfortunately, the wind was a little heavy and we decieded not to take it up.

The next Friday evening, I went out to the field to see if anyone was going to be out there to help me. Well, after hanging around for about 5 min. someone showed up. I talked with him and he offered to take the plane up and see how it handled. Well, the speed brakes on the gear made it handle a little more sluggish than he was expected and on the attempt to land, the plane missed the runway and hit one of the plane stands in the pits. Imangine my shock as the plane's right wing was damaged near the fusalage. The guy that was helping me felt really bad and took the plane and fix it up. It looked better than new! He even removed the bubbles in the covering. All of this took about 1 extra week that I couldn't fly.

The next weekend, I got my plane back, but because of me forgetting to charge the transmitter batteries, I was grounded again! The next day, I had the batteries charged and was back at the field. When I attempted to start the plane, I found that the Flywheel / Prop Driver was missing! I had to go to my LHS and order another one (actually two to be safe!). Grounded AGAIN!

Well, this past weekend, I went to my club's meeting with my plane and everything ready to go. By now I have become very good at loading, transporting, and performing preflight checks on the plane! I met up with an instructor at the club. He and the local expert took the Mustang (minus the speed brakes) up for it's maiden flight. They adjusted the throws and trimmed her out. It felt very good to see the plane in the air and hearing people talk about how nice it looked. After the plane was landed. WE attempted to use the buddy cable that came with the radio, but had problems with the flaps being set to full down when the trainer switch was pressed to give control to the student radio. After about 1.5 hours of messing with it, I ran out of time and had to go to my Son's 1st birthday party.

After the party, I went back out to the field with my two nephews in a hope to find someone to help me get the plane up in the air. Well, I was out of luck when I got to the field and found it to be empty! I told my nephews, 'It's been this long waiting to fly. I'm going to taxi it around and practice on the ground." Well, I did for about 5 min. Then I got the run up area and turned onto the runway. I gunned the engine, prayed a little and watched it pick up speed down the runway. With a litte bit of up elevator, the plane rose gracefully into the sky. I was thinking to my self 'Uh oh!, I better get confident in my landing ability quick!" I flew about 4 or 5 passes lowering the altitude each time to get used to flying at a low speed and in a decent. Well, I finally lined up on the runway and pulled the engine to an idle speed. The plane leveled out and with a little bit of rudder and elevator control, brought the P51 in for a 3 bounce landing! I was so happy I jumped up and said 'I can't belive I just did that!!!!' I looked like a 10 year old, but I didn't care. I felt very good.

After that, my confidence grew and I took it up for two more flights. On Sunday, I went back out to the field and flew again 3 more times performing touch and goes, and flybys. The members of the club came up and talke me through some maneuvers and gave some help. When i go the plane on the ground they said I did good and just need to practice.

So I guess that means I have soloed. I'm really happy with this plane and hope to get proficient in flying it.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Casedit

Good flight reports all - they're helpful as i'm getting ready to maiden mine real soon, just waiting for the right weather and guts to happen on the same day!

What kind of time do you get on a tank of gas? After how many minutes should you think about bringing her in? Of course, this depends on throttle management, wind, etc but just trying to get a rough idea.

Casedit
Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 AM
bookboy22

Hi,

I have since removed the speed brakes and droops. I have converted over to a 2 3/4" Dubro spinner, and a APC 11/7 two bladed prop. I'm running 15% Cool Power fuel. My run times are around 12 - 15 minutes at full throttle. The plane handles great and the top speed is good enough for me. I can pull inside and outside loops.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
bookboy22

Hi,

Did you modify the speed brakes to build those gear doors? They look great.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
SeattleFlyer

After taking mine up for the first time on Saturday I decided to pull the engine to fuel proof the firewall and whatever I could get to inside the radio compartment (mostly concearned with the ply rails where the wing meets the fuse as fuel could get in here really easily). It's curing now but then I got to thinking - "hmm...how do I ensure the engine is straight when I re-mount it??" [sm=surprised.gif] Any tips beyond just eye-balling it?

Thanks in advance. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
SeattleFlyer

Spectere - patience is a virtue...until you've had enough freakin waiting around!!! Glad to hear you did a better job of flying your plane than the experienced guy did! [sm=lol.gif] That's cool that he fixed it up for ya though. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
SeattleFlyer

Ya. Those look sweet. Do tell...

ORIGINAL: bookboy22

Hi,

Did you modify the speed brakes to build those gear doors? They look great.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:46 AM
olstoney

SeattleFlyer,
Measurements should have been taken from the firewall to the front of the prop drive hub before the engine was removed. That being said, when you remount the engine try and get the prop drive as square as you can to the firewall. Little adjustments can be made if you do not tighten the engine down too much. Remember to leave adequate clearance from the the spinner backplate to the front of the cowl. You will have to reset your throttle adjustments and recheck the balance as even a slight difference with that much weight forward can make a difference.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
SeattleFlyer

ORIGINAL: olstoney

SeattleFlyer,
Measurements should have been taken from the firewall to the front of the prop drive hub before the engine was removed. That being said, when you remount the engine try and get the prop drive as square as you can to the firewall. Little adjustments can be made if you do not tighten the engine down too much. Remember to leave adequate clearance from the the spinner backplate to the front of the cowl. You will have to reset your throttle adjustments and recheck the balance as even a slight difference with that much weight forward can make a difference.
Doh! Ok, before I re-mount the engine I'll talk to the guy who is training me because he's a highly experienced kit builder. Perhaps he's got a tool or a method for getting it 100% straight. Oops.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:29 AM
olstoney

Don't worry I did the same thing swapping out the Evo for the OS FX and then back again. I couldn't get any real straight answers from Horizon and do not know if the thrust is built into the firewall or if the engine is offset in the mount. I'll know where to go with it after the test flights if that ever happens due to our weather pattern lately. Your friend should know how to adjust for the thrust angles if you are not quite spot on. Thinking about it, I never got a straight answer about the balancing issue after the mods that I made. Guess I'm on my own here.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Spectere

ORIGINAL: Casedit

Good flight reports all - they're helpful as i'm getting ready to maiden mine real soon, just waiting for the right weather and guts to happen on the same day!

What kind of time do you get on a tank of gas? After how many minutes should you think about bringing her in? Of course, this depends on throttle management, wind, etc but just trying to get a rough idea.

Casedit
I flew her for about 7 to 10 min. On the ground, I ran her for ~15min while tuning the engine.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, just a word of advice.

I flew 2 of these this weekend for different students and in both cases the blocks that hold the servos for the ailerons were not very well glued to the hatch.

In the first case this was a plane that has flown about a dozen times before and during the preflight we noticed the right aileron was not moving near as much. We flipped the plane over and quicly noticed the servo was loose. We took of the hatch and found the blocks were still screwed to the servo but the blocked were no longer glued to the hatch. After a close inspection it looks as though CA was used and it never penetrated the wood on either the blocks or the hatch. We took off the left aileron hatch and it took a little pressure but we did get the blocks to break loose of the hatch. Needless to say that students was done for the day.

When I got to the second plane which had about 20+ flights on it, I checked both servos/hatches and found that I needed some pressure but I could break the blocks free of the hatch cleanly. Again it looked like CA was used and the bond was not very good

So a heads up. I would mix up some 5 or 15 minute epoxy and make filets around the would blocks where they are glued to the hatch.

If this was already talked about please forgive the redundancy. I did not feel like going back through tons of posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.