Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Tesla1856

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Thanks.

Yes, that would be cool too. You might also think about using a remote glow-plug attachment.

ORIGINAL: opjose

Tesla1856:

Very nice.

It looks cleaner this way.

I have an ARF to replace my crashed RTF and I was contemplating installing the engine inverted with a Macs pipe instead.

This would reduce the visual footprint of the exhaust system as the head would pretty much dissappear under the prop.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:38 PM
afineman

Hey All

Most have seen my videos and how I have powered this plane, BUT I have a question.

While repairing a stripped servo (hanger rash) and re-ironing the coating (looks pretty now) I also took the wing droops off.

I was going to put them back on ( because of where I fly) but before I do I would like to know what the difference really is with vs with out.

how much does it increase the approach speed, and does it develop a nasty tip stall.

I'll thank you in advance for the comments

Brent
Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
opjose

The tip stall w/o the droops is fairly benign.

You can control it... but really if this happens you are coming in too slowly.

Just maintain a little throttle until the plane is just over the runway by about a foot, then cut back altogether.

You really don't need the droops because of the large wing.

Fly it w/o the droops and immediately make very HIGH approaches, keep lowering the speed until you are comfortable with the approach rates.

By the time you are going "damn this is slow"... you'll have found the proper approach speed. Kick the throttle up a tick, and that is what you want for landings.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 PM
stallwart

rc-plane, check your pm.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:54 AM
omyc25

hey guys i wanted to know if it was ok to use a 2 prop 11x7 instead of an 11x6 cuz i bought a few 11x7 because they didnt have 11x6. iask because i seen so many of you recommend the 11x6. the engine is the evo .46 that comes with the pts
Old 11-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Tesla1856

Well, it really depends on the engine installed ... but since there is very little difference between a 6 and 7 pitch, it should work with no problems.

ORIGINAL: omyc25

hey guys i wanted to know if it was ok to use a 2 prop 11x7 instead of an 11x6 cuz i bought a few 11x7 because they didnt have 11x6. iask because i seen so many of you recommend the 11x6.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
omyc25

the pts .46 evo engine
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys i wanted to know if it was ok to use a 2 prop 11x7 instead of an 11x6 cuz i bought a few 11x7 because they didnt have 11x6. iask because i seen so many of you recommend the 11x6. the engine is the evo .46 that comes with the pts
You will be fine using the 11x7. In fact, I was using an 11x7 3-blade MAS prop on mine. the two blade willo fly the plane slightly faster then a three blade of same diameter and pitch, but for scale looks the 11x7x3 is pretty darn good looking, especailly with an aluminum spinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84529.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	554518  
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM
omyc25

hey guys, i need to know if i can use a 2 propeller 3 inches spinner instead of 2 3/4 inches that is the size of the original spinner of the pts. does anyone know? because i bought a 2 1/2 inches two props spinner but it was too small (it didn't fit in the back plate) so i was thinking about a 2props 3 inches spinner.would it make any difference?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 PM
kahloq

hey guys, i need to know if i can use a 2 propeller 3 inches spinner instead of 2 3/4 inches that is the size of the original spinner of the pts. does anyone know? because i bought a 2 1/2 inches two props spinner but it was too small (it didn't fit in the back plate) so i was thinking about a 2props 3 inches spinner.would it make any difference?
If you havent bought the 3in one, why not get the 2 3/4 size from the same manufacturer/brand? Are u using an aluminum spinner or just a plastic nylon one? If its nylon, you could easily just bore the hole out a little to fit the prop shaft for the 2 1/2" spinner. The dubro brand comes larger then the prop shaft and then includes adapter rings to fit several different size shafts. A 3" will work, but it will look slightly big
Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
opjose

The spinner should come with a spinner back plate.

You normally need an adapter for the aluminum ones.

Yeah the 3" spinner will work but it will look rather strange.

You are best off changing it for the 2 3/4... better yet the aluminum ones look fantastic.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
dannyrsturbo

in the next few days im going to solo my mustang with no help..this will be the ultimate test of can a beginer fly her.... i have learnt to fly with parkzone focke wolf and parkzone p51mustang and they advertise these 2 as intermediate all ile do is keep doing slow passes on the field and get used to how it handles from a height and basicly do circuits...if i land it....im a proper happy chappie ..plus i flown the ripmax spitfire 48 inches and that was pretty overresponsive fall out the sky son of a bum so i shud in theory be ok with mustang pts..i think ile leave the wheel brakes of..and droops on
Old 11-07-2006, 12:07 AM
bpmhal

Hello Danny,
Be sure and follow your pre-flight setups. find a good field (short grass, no trees..as few obstructions as possible). You should do just fine. Takeoffs are a cinch, fly a simple pattern, 1/2 throttle when you deploy flaps(if functional) make a few passes over your runway to get comfortable with line up. With the flaps down, 1/4 throttle (11x7x2 prop on mine) on final the PTS will land like a champ(with a little head wind it will almost harrier in,just be throttle management aware, that's all!). Running 15% fuel, and varing between 1/2 to full throttle during flight, you can expect about 12-17 minutes of flight time on the fuel in the tank. Make sure your batteries are fully charged! for now, I will give mine 3 flights max (aaprx 45 minutes) until I ugrade the battery pack (see posts on this in this forum). They can last longer, but I'm not going to take the chance on losing my plane due to loss of power to the servos. I am still learing my PTS as well. She will fly where you point her! Just remember this, YOU are flying the plane, the plane is not flying you. Let us know how it goes. Still hope you can find someone to help you out!
BPMHAL
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
opjose

Like he said.

Roll the plane on the ground before you fly it, and make sure that it tracks straight for a distance.

Be prepared for a left yaw during take off and a slow left roll at lift off. The left yaw is far less pronounced if you take off from short grass, but be prepared for it as you move up the throttle.

It should land straight on grass w/o any control difficulties.

Keep a little power coming in and cut to a high idle as it touches down.

Once down throttle back but keep a bit of up elevator to both slow it down, keep it from nosing over if it bumps something and help the rear wheel track.

You'll love how it flies.

Because of it's might seem slower than your electrics.

Leave the droops on during your first half dozen landings until you are fully used to the plane...

Have fun! You'll love it.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
bpmhal

opjose,
I sure wish Danny could find a pilot to help him....hard to believe people can be so hard headed....(me calling the kettle a kettle..haha). Saw your posts on the H9 Futanana 90.....I have been thinking about my next plane and it will be either that or the 40, have not made up my mind yet. I still would like to build a Top Flight P-51....just too many choices...what have I got myself into..argh. This thread has been invaluable to me getting back into the hobby....and a generous THANK YOU to all that have shared their input/experiences....
Old 11-07-2006, 03:42 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: bpmhal

opjose,
I sure wish Danny could find a pilot to help him....hard to believe people can be so hard headed....(me calling the kettle a kettle..haha).
He already stated he has experience with the Parkzone P-51 and FW190. If he can fly those, he will be ok on the PTS Mustang. Getting the engine tuned though is where he may have some bumps without help if he's never done glow planes before. The EVO .46 is a decent engine, but it can be fickle depending on the weather conditions/temp, quality of fuel, etc. Normally they run fine, but mine had a really bad habit of NOT wanting to start right away. Once up and running, mine PTS Mustang needed to sit with the engine running for 5 mins to warm it up....no matter what the temperature was.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
opjose

Yeah, the engine tuning is the hardest part of prepping this bird.

Danny remember to check the plane by holding it with the engine running, in different attitudes.

Nose up, nose down, plane sideways, etc.

When you have it tuned the engine should run a bit faster when you point the nose up, but not shut off.
When you point the plane nose down the engine might run slower, but it must not shut off.

Likewise on it's side there should be no changes.

The low speed needle often has to have the grub screw loosened to adjust the needle IN about 1/8 turn past the stop.

Make sure that once you tighten it back down, that the stop pin does not contact the cowl. It does on most planes, requiring that you cut out a small piece of cowl so that it clears.

Pinch test, pinch test, pinch test!

Run a couple of tanks through the engine before you fly as well.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
dannyrsturbo

u guys r great..fair do's , u can tell u got a real passion for rc flight ..and i cant compliment this thread or the guys in it enough i should be ok with the flight ive spent a lot of time with the plane on the ground ..making runs to take of and then throttling down turning her round and genrally getting the feel of her on the ground ...one thing i have done is as im in the uk i didnt get an engine with the plane and they didnt have a decent 40 size engine in store they just had the 46la which i purchased and chatted to a guy in store and he was horrified when i shown him the la so i exchanged it in store for a os51 supertigre not sure how long a flight ile gwet with this engine and the standard tank ..so im going to do a bench test on it l8r today and time how long tank lasts and make sure i buy a timer to indicate 2-3 mins before she runs out so to giv me time to land
Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 AM
dannyrsturbo

i must admit the engine tuning part is a bit confusing for me ...i can fit a full engine and turbo rebuild into my turbo...but find it confusing to tune this p51 ..lol ..ile get there
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
opjose

Yeah, no way the .46LA would handle the PTS...

It's a good thing they got you to move up.

The Supertigre can be a bit harder to tune up.

Do you have anyone with experience with it, that can help you get it in tune?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
omyc25

can anyone tell me where the cable to plug the flap servo is at in the pts. ive been looking for it but somehow i cant find it i cant find it[]
Old 11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
dannyrsturbo

its under the wing covering nearly dead centre of wing on inside ule find it by rubbing your hand on it ..its nearly visible
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
lrtx1

can anyone tell me where the cable to plug the flap servo is at in the pts. ive been looking for it but somehow i cant find it i cant find it[]

The flap servo lead will plug into the fifth channel (might be the AUX ch) on the reciever, not positive but it will be one of the two. You will more than likely need a servo lead extension because of the distance between the flap servo and the reciever. Maybe someone else will chime in and correct me if I am misguiding you and, tell you how much flap travel you need. It doesn't need to be excessive.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
kahloq

The rx that comes with the RTF version is a 5-channel only. So, the 5th channel is your flap channel. Plug the servo into that one. it should say GEAR on the rx(or AUX). Do not put too much flap travel in. The stock setup with fixed flaps down is 22%. Do not try to eyeball it, cuz you'll end up with a lot more then this and it will cause the plane to porpoise very, very badly....trust me on this. Set the flap travel to about 15-18% at full down and test fly plane, adjust as needed. Your much better off with less flap then too much. This plane can easily land without need of flaps at all, it just makes it easier and slightly slower with the flaps. If your using your own rx and tx gear, then channel 6(for a JR) is the flap channel. You will need a 6-9 inch servo extension to go from the flap servo to the rx.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
ARMSJSTEV

WHEN YOU HOOK UP THE SERVO FOR THE FLAPS YOU'LL HAVE AN EXTRA WIRE HANGING DOWN. THERE SHOULD BE 2 SERVO LEADS FOR THE AILERONS. YOU DON'T WANT TO CONFUSE AN AILRELON LEAD FOR THE FLAP SO WHAT I DID WAS TO USE A RUBBER BAND TO KEEP THE 2 AILREON SERVO LEADS TOGETHER.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.