Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
justinr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Hey
Just bought this plane. Very cool. I seem to spend a lot of time just admiring the look of it!
Just wondering how important gluing wing halves together and tail to fuse? I dont really want it coming apart mid flight but then again I dont want to glue it together to find that I should have just left it as is to make it more easily fixable. Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
ARMSJSTEV

ORIGINAL: justinr

Hey
Just bought this plane. Very cool. I seem to spend a lot of time just admiring the look of it!
Just wondering how important gluing wing halves together and tail to fuse? I dont really want it coming apart mid flight but then again I dont want to glue it together to find that I should have just left it as is to make it more easily fixable. Any thoughts?
THE NEAT THING ABOUT TRAINER PLANES,( AND MOST ARF'S FOR THAT MATTER) IS THAT YOU CAN BUY REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR ANYTHING THAT GETS BROKE ON THEM. I WAS TOLD," IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF IF YOU'LL CRASH,BUT WHEN." THE JOINERS FOR THE WINGS AND TAIL WILL HOLD IT TOGETHER FINE SO LONG AS YOU CHECK THEM BEFORE EACH FLIGHT AND SEE THAT THEY'RE SNUG ENOUGH TO HOLD TOGETHER,BUT NOT TOO TIGHT THAT IT'LL WARP OR TWEAK THE SURFACES. I'VE HAD TO REBUILD MINE ONCE AND I STILL HAVE AN EXTRA WING AND TAIL JUST IN CASE.YOU COULD ALWAYS REBUILT THE BROKEN PIECES IF YOU 'RE AN EXPERIENCED MODEL BUILDER,BUT BEING A ROOKIE YEARNING TO FLY IT'S QUICKER AND EASIER TO USE NEW PARTS.GLUING EVERYTHING TOGETHER MAY MAKE CHANGING PARTS A LITTLE HARDER. THE RTF'S COME WITH A STRIP OF COVERING TO COVER THE SEAM UNDER THE WING, BUT THAT CAN BE CUT EASY ENOUGH IF YOU NEED TO CHANGE OUT ONE OF THEM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Tesla1856

I got the suggestions to do it from previous posts, and it sure seems like a good idea to me so I glued them both.

The tail is much sturdier. With the aileron Y-cable and the flaps servo installed, it's not like you are going to be taking the wing halves apart to transport, so it just made sense to glue the halves together. Plus, it too is now stronger.

See my build page for step-by-step instructions for gluing the tail pieces together.

[link=http://www.vlsdynamics.com/rc/planes/hanger9_p51_mustang_40.htm]www.vlsdynamics.com/rc/planes/hanger9_p51_mustang_40.htm[/link]

ORIGINAL: justinr

Hey
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
stallwart

Whatever you do, glue the wing halves together. Be sure to use slow curing epoxy (30 min). To get the tightest bond, put the two screws into the holes for the nylon strap (leaving the strap off for now) and use strong rubber bands around the screws and on the dowels at the leading edge. If damage is severe enough for wing replacement, the wing only comes as a pair of halves, anyway.

You might pass on gluing the tail on, since my experience shows the bolts work well enough.

Also, be certain the landing gear wires are as tightly secured as possible. Any wobble will be magnified in a hard landing, putting a lot of momentum against the gear block. Hex head servo screws work great for holding the landing gear securely, especially if you harden the screw holes first. While you're at it, harden all the screw holes with CA.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
justinr

COuld someone please explain why wing halves need to be glued? As far as I can tell there is a lot that actually holds the wing halves together once installed. It doesnt seem likely or even possible in my very humble opinion that the wing halves could come apart in flight. Yes, in a crash they could come apart but surely it is better that they do separate and cause less damage to the fuselage.
I should just do it and get over it shouldnt I!

Oh yeah and just to stir the pot a little more I reckon that flight sim isnt too bad. The flying dynamics are quite similar to realflight in my opinion. Ok the graphics arent great, ok downright terrible, but if Machineworks just spent a bit of money on the software it could be a very useful tool. Especially because you can use your own transmitter and unlike realflight its not $300 australian dollars!(expensive).
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Bird Dog

They don't need glued ! I have had two crashes and the wing survived them both. They didn't move or separate and all is well. This is my opinion only.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
ARMSJSTEV

I HIT A MOLE HOLE UPON LANDING AND RIPPED THE LANDING GEAR OUT AND SPLINTERED THE BLOCK IT WAS MOUNTED IN.ORDERED NEW WINGS,REPLACED THE ONE AND STILL AHVE AN EXTRA TO KEEP ON FLYING IN CASE I WRECK THE OTHER WING.IF YOU GLUE IT YES THE WING WILL BE STRONGER,BUT YOU HAVE THE ALUMIN ROD THAT GOES THRU BOTH AND THE SCREWS AND CLAMP ONLY HOLDS IT ONTO THE ROD. TO EACH HIS OWN,BUT I'D RATHER KEEP REPAIRS AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 AM
bpmhal

ORIGINAL: ARMSJSTEV

I HIT A MOLE HOLE UPON LANDING AND RIPPED THE LANDING GEAR OUT AND SPLINTERED THE BLOCK IT WAS MOUNTED IN.ORDERED NEW WINGS,REPLACED THE ONE AND STILL AHVE AN EXTRA TO KEEP ON FLYING IN CASE I WRECK THE OTHER WING.IF YOU GLUE IT YES THE WING WILL BE STRONGER,BUT YOU HAVE THE ALUMIN ROD THAT GOES THRU BOTH AND THE SCREWS AND CLAMP ONLY HOLDS IT ONTO THE ROD. TO EACH HIS OWN,BUT I'D RATHER KEEP REPAIRS AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE.
Would you like to borrow my .17 super hornet to take care of the mole? In North Texas they use a gaint vacuum cleaner to remove/relocate the little rascals. That would be really a surprise....nice approach....wings level...nose slightly up.....stalll 1 foot above the ground.....mole hole....#%&*
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Altrex

I have been flying a PTS for about two months and have changed to 2 blade prop, removed flywheel, removed all training gear and added a Macs muffler. Also recently installed retracts The plane really sings now and I push it pretty hard in maneuvers. Wings are still in two pieces and if you ever plan to put in retracts, I would think it almost impossible with a glued wing. Just my .02. Nothing have come apart yet.

Let me fine some wood to know on
Old 11-09-2006, 01:25 AM
bpmhal

do you have a build/parts page for your retract mod?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
nellsey

A follow up from my very first flight which was 10 minutes doing circuits on the buddy lead.
Last Saturday I had three full flights with the PTS doing it the old fashioned way as nobody had the correct buddy lead. The weather was perfect, a gentle breeze and beautiful sunshine.

The instructor took off on the first flight and handed over control for me to do a few circuits. After about 10 mins he asked me to make an approach for landing[X(] With his guidance I managed a very nervous landing, with a short hop, but it was down! Had to go for a sit down after that to calm the verves

The PTS flies so well that I managed to take off and land without help from the instructor for the next three flights. I was having great fun and must say that the time spent on the G3 simulator was helping me a great deal too.

On the fourth and unfortunately the final flight, there was a bit of a mishap.
I was practising approaches and flying very slowly over the strip at about 4ft, then throttling up and flying out to go around and do the same again. On about the 5th time round I hit throttle at the end of the strip to climb out and the engine just died. So close to the ground and not enough speed to turn back to the landing strip. The only option was to pass the Tx over to my intructor and hope he could bring it down very gently into the crops without doing to much damage. He did a good job but one of the wheels took a bit of a hit and it turned out that the block inside the wing had split or come away, so a repair was needed.

That was the end of my flying for the day, but what a fun day! This rc flying is great!
Can't wait till next time as I will be taking my solo, my instructor informed me.

One thing he was not to keen on with the PTS, was the limits of the tuning on the engine because of the fitted collars. Can these be taken off?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
dannyrsturbo

hi there my first flight is on sunday i got a supertigre g51 is this engine good for the pts ? any thoughts guys
Old 11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
opjose

Sounds like the engine was not fully tuned!!!

Which is why it died.

Have someone carefully go over it with you. Remove the cowl and put the prop back on and adjust it.

You don't need to remove the collars (it's almost better if you do not...).

You can loosen the collar grub (or locking) screw, then the needle will turn further.

Loosen the grub screw well before you turn the needle, lest it mar the metal needle itself, which makes the collar difficult to remove and/or can make the needle impossible to turn in more...

The low speed needle is the bear to set. Don't go too much further than what the limiter permits.

It's "sweet spot" is usually a little bit INWARD (1/8 to 1/4 turn) from the limiter stop I've found...

Once you have the plane fully tuned up, push down on the collar and retighten the grub screws to help prevent the needle from "walking"...

The high speed needle can be removed altogether, and the spring clip arm should be bent in a bit to produce more friction to hold the needle in place.

I find tuning the high speed the easiest to do.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 AM
dannyrsturbo

this engine tuning is confusing how will i know when its perfect....and once its tuned is it tuned forever?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
opjose

This is far easier if someone walks you through tuning an engine a couple of times.

Once you've done it several times you'll be able to do it easily.

---

When you have the engine tuned, it will still require an occasional "tweak" as things change over time.

The Evolution needles tend to walk a bit unless you take some measures to prevent this. But even then you do want to check the tuning when you go out to the field. Normally a few seconds is all that is required.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 PM
dannyrsturbo

i can get it sounding quiet nice but when i giv it full throttle it dies
Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
dannyrsturbo

wer taking cameraon sunday so a video will follow..imnopro..but its a video of my first sucsefull flight or ..''gulp''.... crash i just about to buy a rtf model from a firm in america so i can see the evolution an howthe american models set up ile change my reciever and transmitterover thou because of the 72hz channel ..but jus hope sundays nice
Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dannyrsturbo

i can get it sounding quiet nice but when i giv it full throttle it dies
If it dies INSTANTLY when you push the throttle up quickly, then the high speed needle is too lean.

If it runs up in a sluggish manner, then gets up to speed, but then dies after a few seconds, the high speed needle is too rich.

You need to perform the pinch test at both low and high speeds and adjust accordingly.

I find it easier to adjust the (much harder) low speed first, then adjust the high speed, then go back and check the low speed again.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:45 PM
ARMSJSTEV

ORIGINAL: nellsey

A follow up from my very first flight which was 10 minutes doing circuits on the buddy lead.
Last Saturday I had three full flights with the PTS doing it the old fashioned way as nobody had the correct buddy lead. The weather was perfect, a gentle breeze and beautiful sunshine.

The instructor took off on the first flight and handed over control for me to do a few circuits. After about 10 mins he asked me to make an approach for landing[X(] With his guidance I managed a very nervous landing, with a short hop, but it was down! Had to go for a sit down after that to calm the verves

The PTS flies so well that I managed to take off and land without help from the instructor for the next three flights. I was having great fun and must say that the time spent on the G3 simulator was helping me a great deal too.

On the fourth and unfortunately the final flight, there was a bit of a mishap.
I was practising approaches and flying very slowly over the strip at about 4ft, then throttling up and flying out to go around and do the same again. On about the 5th time round I hit throttle at the end of the strip to climb out and the engine just died. So close to the ground and not enough speed to turn back to the landing strip. The only option was to pass the Tx over to my intructor and hope he could bring it down very gently into the crops without doing to much damage. He did a good job but one of the wheels took a bit of a hit and it turned out that the block inside the wing had split or come away, so a repair was needed.

That was the end of my flying for the day, but what a fun day! This rc flying is great!
Can't wait till next time as I will be taking my solo, my instructor informed me.

One thing he was not to keen on with the PTS, was the limits of the tuning on the engine because of the fitted collars. Can these be taken off?

TO TAKE THE LIMITER OFF THE HIGH IDLE NEEDLE ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS USE A NEEDLENOSE PLIERS AND PULL THE PIN OUT. IT COMES OUT REAL EASY.AS FAR AS YOUR DEAD STICK I DID THE SAME THING A FEW MONTHS AGO. ENGINE QUIT JUST PAST RUNWAY. WAS JUST HIGH ENOUGH FOR A SHORT PASS BUT GAVE IT FULL UP AND IT JUST SETTLED DOWN NICELY ON THE SOFT TOP BRANCHES OF SOME SCOTCH BLOOM. NO DAMAGE AT ALL (EXCEPT MY PRIDE).ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO KEEP AN EXTRA SET OF WINGS. CHANGE THE SERVO AND YOU'RE UP AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
ARMSJSTEV

ORIGINAL: bpmhal

ORIGINAL: ARMSJSTEV

Would you like to borrow my .17 super hornet to take care of the mole? In North Texas they use a gaint vacuum cleaner to remove/relocate the little rascals. That would be really a surprise....nice approach....wings level...nose slightly up.....stalll 1 foot above the ground.....mole hole....#%&*
IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON THERE ARE SO MANY MOLES THAT I WISH THERE WERE A MARKET FOR'M.. I BROUGHT SOME GOPHER GASSERS OUT TO THE FEILD ONCE AND USED THEM AND IT KEPT THEM OFF FOR A WHILE. NEXT STEP IS POLICE CALL WITH 12 GUAGE SHOTGUNS........
Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Ciny

Hi All

Just got my P51 today, nice plane, now this might be a silly question but i'll ask it anyway, do i and how do i fuel proof the inside of the plane? Also should i do what they say in the manual with the wings or is it better to glue them? Do I need to take off the muffler to get the front cover off, or how do i get the front cover off?

Thanks in advance

Ciny
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
opjose

You don't need to fuel proof the inside, but it doesn't hurt. Doing this will add a bit of weight though.

Mix up some 30 minute Epoxy in a small cup, then add about 50% denatured Isopropopyl Alchohol (do not use rubbing Alchohol!). Mix thoroughly and apply with a brush.

Re: Glue

Some people do, some people dont' glue the wings together so that they can more easily repair them.

It's up to you.

Re: Cowl

Yes you remove the prop and muffler first, then you can carefully remove the cowl.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
bpmhal

Soled Today...yippe! Ran two tanks of fuel through my PTS....the bug has bit and I'm on my way.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:08 PM
ARMSJSTEV

GOTCHA!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:19 PM
bpmhal

Flew again today, solo. Much, much more windy, gusty as well. Made for tricky landings, but made it through unscathed. Next time I think I' wait till it's 10 MPH or less, 15 gusting to 25-30 at imes makes it a little nerve racking on final approch to say the least. This little plane really cooks with a good tail wind I might add.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.