Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Bill,
Thanks for the update on this first reported area of weakness. It will be interesting to see how well these hold up if not abused.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Hobie

Sorry I havn't followed this thread real close . I just have 3 questions . Can you buy just the plane without the radio gear or engine, would an OS .46 AX be a good choice for power and would this be a good 2nd plane for someone who has already got down flying trainers ?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
stallwart

bookboy22 and casedit,
I cut the airbrakes or actually scored them with an x-acto and straight edge, and gently snapped the excess off. I have not flown with them attached yet, because I have to find a way to securely hold them in place. The tie wraps allow them to pivot which might cause serious trim issues.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:57 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Just put a small dollop of Shoe Goo in the crevice between the wire gear leg and your gear door that is already attached and held in place by the tie wrap.

It won't take much; and those gear doors won't be going anywhere...
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
SeattleFlyer

ORIGINAL: Hobie

Sorry I havn't followed this thread real close . I just have 3 questions . Can you buy just the plane without the radio gear or engine, would an OS .46 AX be a good choice for power and would this be a good 2nd plane for someone who has already got down flying trainers ?
1: Nope, I don't think you can buy it without the radio gear. You could contact Horizon Hobby to be sure though.
2: Yep. That engine would be a good fit. But, see #1 - I don't think you can buy it currently without buying the entire package which includes an engine.
3: Yep. I think it would make a great second plane.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM
SeattleFlyer

ORIGINAL: olstoney

SeattleFlyer,
Measurements should have been taken from the firewall to the front of the prop drive hub before the engine was removed. That being said, when you remount the engine try and get the prop drive as square as you can to the firewall. Little adjustments can be made if you do not tighten the engine down too much. Remember to leave adequate clearance from the the spinner backplate to the front of the cowl. You will have to reset your throttle adjustments and recheck the balance as even a slight difference with that much weight forward can make a difference.
I got the engine back in and it looks straight as an arrow as far as I can tell so all should be good. Nice to have the firewall fuel-proofed so I think it was worth the effort. The throttle settings look good - about 1/16" open in the idle position. I'll check the balance before the next flight. Thanks. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
olstoney

Let me know how it goes and if the balance changed. Did you replace the machine screws with allen heads while you were at it?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
pjw_75
My Feedback: (2)

So have there been any test flights with the os engines or just the change of props?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
olstoney

Not for me as now we have another tropical storm named Tami. This has been a record year for tropical activity and unless you pay attention it matters not. This storm is 200 miles away and we'll feel it for several days. These storms can be larger than several states, so no flying here for awhile. Fortunately we are still in one piece this year, last year we were not so lucky. I had an OS FX mounted in mine and it was a direct bolt in. I switched back to the EVO figuring I paid for it, so why not give it a chance. If I am not happy with the performance then I'll give the OS a try. Good thing is even with the summer weather problems here we can fly all winter.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Buteos

Hello to all,
As a new member I have sat here and read all of your responses to the varied questions and coments and feel confident that purchasing this P-51 would be a good choice. I, like several others here have not flown an R/C plane before and like the others I want to have something that will lend itself to more interesting flying. I have flown something over the past several years and will continue to do so but you need to feed and care for it, I am a licensed Falconer. I look forward to reading all the information and tips on this plane and others that may come along because of this design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20804.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	334670  
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
SeattleFlyer

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Let me know how it goes and if the balance changed. Did you replace the machine screws with allen heads while you were at it?
Will do - hoping to go out this weekend for flight session #2. Nope, I didn't replace any of the screws. I just applied a drop of blue threadlock on them before re-assembly. I'm hoping I don't have to take the engine out again for a long time to come.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
SeattleFlyer

ORIGINAL: Buteos

Hello to all,
As a new member I have sat here and read all of your responses to the varied questions and coments and feel confident that purchasing this P-51 would be a good choice. I, like several others here have not flown an R/C plane before and like the others I want to have something that will lend itself to more interesting flying. I have flown something over the past several years and will continue to do so but you need to feed and care for it, I am a licensed Falconer. I look forward to reading all the information and tips on this plane and others that may come along because of this design.
That's cool. You should hook up some radio gear to your falcon and give that a whirl.

Nah seriously...I think with a good instructor it's a good way to start. That's been my experience so far. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 PM
pjw_75
My Feedback: (2)

Well sorry to hear about all the storms you are having, seems Houston was spared somewhat from Ritta. This will be my second plane and I figure it would be a good low wing trainer with all the cool looks. Seems everybody at the field flys extras, i tend to want to be a little different. I will probably head over to the lhs this Saturday and pick one up along with some supplies also. Everybody's replies have been so helpful and I appreciate this forum a whole lot. Keep up the great reviews and fun flying.[:-]

Philip
Old 10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

olstoney i think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the Evo.46. My first glow plane was a Hangar-9 Arrow RTF. It has an Evo .40 and it flies awesome, lots of power and very reliable i have never had it stall out on me and i did not touch it other than to put fuel in it. I also have an Evo .61 that was in a P-51 ARF. I only got to fly it 3 times before it crashed (the control horn for the elevator broke off pulling out of a dive, wasn't pretty and it flew great to lots of power. Save the OS for your next plane you won't need it in the P-51 PTS.

Flyboy76
Old 10-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Spectere
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with Flyboy76. I have about 8 flights under my belt with this mustang and have never seen any problems with power. The local expert at my club took it up for the first time and did some decent aerobatics (loops, aileron rolls). I've been able to pull of some split-S, Immleman, and Cuban Eights with it. It does handle like a combat warbird. Don't expect any extreme stuff, but if you are looking at this plane as a trainer you will be very pleased with the motor selection that Hangar-9 made.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
olstoney

Looking forward to trying the EVO out soon as is possible. Spectere, What configuration was the plane in, trainer or with the droops and other stuff off ?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Spectere

All I did was take off the Speed brakes. They caused my first mishap (see previous post). I'm running Byron 15% / 20% oil in her with the stock prop. I did add the Flap Servo, but I have not used it for takeoff or landing. I keep the flap in the Up position. Take-offs take a little longer (50 ft.), but the plane climbs very scale like. I'll be flying it this weekend and experimenting with the flaps on slow flight and landings. I will report back.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Casedit

So for those of you who've flown this plane in full trainer position, what has the landing technique been - especially in terms of throttle on final?

Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Buteos

Let me ask this...for those of you who have flown this plane and have experience on other sport planes. How close does this get you to actually gaining the ability to fly a "Normal" sport plane?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Spectere

On landings, I cut the throttle to idle about 75 feet out on final and about 50 feet up. I tend to land on the front two thirds of the run way. I still bounce it a bit on landings, but it recovers nicely. I do land without the flaps down.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM
roltech

Well I had the flaps down throttle to half at about 70 feet, lined it up to the runway drop another 40 feet and throttle down to one quarter when about 8 feet before touch down went to idle the landing gear touch down about two feet into the runway and greased about ten feet to a stop. scared the hell of me, it stop so fast It could land across the runway, That was with all the trainer gear on. other landings were not so great but with all the trainer gear it sure slows it down in a hurry. I will at least take speed break off the landing gear. I take the flaps off when up in the air and turn them on just before landing turn. you might not need the flaps if you have a head wind the 3 blade prop does a good job of slowing fast. so far so good the weather is not so great these days. I hope to get more flights before winter sets in.

roltech
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

A buddy of mine recently bought this plane. He is a 5 year vetern of flying and has nothing better to do with his money. This plane is real good he took off the speed brakes made the flaps work and took off the plastic wing tips. He did every move with this palne that he can do with his other mustang that was a kit.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:17 PM
speedpro 1

dont just remove your speed brakes remount them like this for better scale appearance.Just cut at angle at top wher meets the wing put a piece of servo tape between gear door and wing and a little on each upper side then just tie wrap and tape to match wing.

Name:	Lj22905.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	336005  
Old 10-08-2005, 09:07 PM
justflie

hey speedpro, did the tie wraps hold the gear doors in place during flight? Another post mentioned that they had made the speed brakes into gear doors but they couldn't find a way to secure them so that they wouldn't move around during flight.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
speedpro 1

have many flights after moving to gear doors no problems . here a better picture of top. one piece on top and one on each side whichs sticks to top tape and each side of door.

Name:	Nl28835.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	336617  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.