Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 AM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

OK its the next morning and the grin on my face as subsided LOL .
Smooreace.. Yes I was runnning ALL training gear on . Wheel brakes stayed in place with no turning and Ron said he had no problem trimming the plane in flight , in fact, he said he had to do very little trimming at all .
I did get alot of black gunk out of the muffler (once it came loose ) that sprayed all over my wing . I'm assuming this will not be a problem once the muffler issue is solved. BTW is it better to have the muffler deflector (dubro) pointed up or down . I got fuel all over the top of the wing and cockpit. If I point the deflector down , is it any better ?
I'm going to take the muffer apart today and take out the baffle. When I decide which way to point the exhaust. I'll have it welded . BTW When Ron was flying it he did a couple of loops and a few barrel rolls ( until I gave him a dirty look LOL) so it will do a few tricks with all training gear in place . Hope you get yours back in the air soon .

Eddie215....I'm sure you'll be flying it (taking off and landing ) in no time . This is NOT my first plane . I've been flying a Nexstar for about a year . The two planes compare pretty well as far as flying is concerned ,howerever the P-51 is smaller (wingspan 59 inches ) (Nexstar 69 inches ) and it gets smaller in the air a lot faster . The profile of the P-51 is easier to lose in the air ( probably because of its smaller size DUH LOL) I guess what I'm trying to say is KEEP IT CLOSE until you get used to it . BUT if you've already flown it , you probably are aware of this . The biggest problem you're gonna have on your first take off and landing - is your heart rate LOL Relax have enjoy the experience .

Beatlebum - Sorry to hear about the backorder but at least it gonna be free . Let me know when she shows up.

Remember : it's all about preparation... then screw it and do it :P

Tom
Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey there, Nice flight wldhair. Don't get rid of the Nextstar though LOL! They are both great planes and tons of fun to fly. The first step after the heebbee jeebbies of the first few flights is just merely replacing that stock prop with an 11x7 or 10x7 or 8. that will give you so much more power you won't believe it. Then off goes the brakes, then the flaps go up then the droops. By then, you will be confident and good - Very good. Make sure that you keep your instructor around thoughout all of this. Great plane, huh?
Congrads,
Jeff
Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 AM
jorgy-Delta

locksmith:

return the Rx also, may as well get both parts new, and Horizon will most certianly make sure they have the same channel crystals.
Its easy to unplug, just be gentle. Careful with the antenna, pull it out gently. It's attached to the Rx.

wldhair

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

All

Have a great long weekend !

ohhh-ohhh I did it again ( sorry for the Spears pun ) Tower sent out the newest email sales list. Couple of great deals in the scratch & dent section.

So I picked up an electric 38" Hobbico RTF Piper Club w/ Tx and battery for my cousin who wants to learn ( how to spend money ) to fly.
75bucks need some rudder repair but flies very well it said.

Anyone have foamy repair experience? I may need a hint or three, never had a foamy. Should have it next week.

this should be fun, I haven't flown a high wing since, ummmm about 1975, when my grandfather taught me on a scratch built club he did.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
doby45

ORIGINAL: beatlebum

freaking sweet man. Glad you got to take her up and land it haha . The horizon site shows the p51 to be backorderd till late june
I ordered mine yesterday from www.hobbyzone.com and they got it out the very same day. I also ordered at about 4:30 in the afternoon. I look forward to the visit from the FedEx man. :-)
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

CCR,
You haven't flown a high wing plane since 75? Wow, the trainer is going to give you problems LOL! I have been flying since 1983 and still love to fly a trainer sometimes it is really relaxing and you try stuff on a trainer that you normally wouldn't try with a hot rod. My son's Nextstar is a kick in the pants to fly. Hey, PM me if you wish, then I will give you my email adress. It would be a real kick if we could get together someday and go flying. There is only about a couple of hundred miles between us. With the new U.S. laws I have to have a passport now to get back from Canada. I have spent a lot of time there around Vancouver, White Rock, Abbotsford and whistler. Beautiful places.
Basically, foam safe ca thick with a kicker works great but nothing beats the standard 5 minute epoxy. Some guys are using gorilla glue but I dont have the patience for that stuff. When I break, I want to repair and fly NOW - HAHAHA. Just make sure that if you use CA that it is foam safe - especially the kicker. Most CA's are foam safe but the kicker will eat foam so fast you can see it just disappear!
Jeff
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
thelocksmith

ORIGINAL: Wild_CCR

locksmith:

return the Rx also, may as well get both parts new, and Horizon will most certianly make sure they have the same channel crystals.
Its easy to unplug, just be gentle. Careful with the antenna, pull it out gently. It's attached to the Rx.

wldhair
I figured I would send it back also, I allready got it out, im using my dx6i for it anyway, but I was gonna give my buddy use the other radio and also use it as a buddy box for my dx6i. Gonna try to get it mailed off today and finish putting it all together.

Another question, Can I use a normal hair dryer to remove the wrinkles or is it to hot or to cold? I dont have an iron or hobby heat gun yet. Just trying to save a buck :P

Thanks
J.R.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

JR,
I haven't tried that yet with the hair dryer. I don't know if it will get hot enough. An iron works the best coupled with a heat gun. You can certainly try it and give us a report. Hairdryer may certaily be safer to use though on the ultracote. I forgot to mention, be careful around the color stripes and decals though, it may end up warping them which will really be aggrivating.
Jeff
Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 PM
jorgy-Delta

Jeff, I'm keeping that in mind, would be cool.

Hoping to have the KMP- Typhoon, 74", ready for end August, Sept maybe. Be nice to land it on a hard surface, just for that
ooohhhhhh awwwwwww wow effect...

Thats the Evolution 35GT2 gas ( made by mvvs for Horizon )
It'll swing a 18" 3bld when I'm done. Its very scale- 95% bang on, extremely short nose, its a challange to
to cg. Tucking everything into the nose area ( so far ). Full composite fuse,tail, wing, w/ air retracts.
Just finished the throttle & modded the choke to servo operated. Aiming for 16-17 lbs, but may creep up.
Wing loading in the 40-50 oz/in is hoped for But the wing is so massive and thick, some other currently flying at 19-20 lbs,
report "flys like a trainer, even dead stick, just watch the slow tight turns! "

The finished one, is in England, prototype model.
Check out "warbirdman's " scratch built cockpit, wayyyyyyyy beyond me. But WOW!!!
About middle page [link=http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,30995.540.html]RCMF[/link]

There a [sm=bananahead.gif] in Denmark who is planning to put the new Saito FG36, 4 stroke GAS into it, that'll be something else! [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Its my dream plane- well maybe, Vaily's [link=http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Hawker%20Typhoon.html]Vailly[/link] is more so, but$$$$$$$$$$$$
and a little big for our current field [&o]

Have a great w/end, keep em sunny side up, unless your in the air already.

Glenn

hehe- know thats glow tubing, just need to keep the dirt out while working on it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27402.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	955279   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42822.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	955280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15695.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	955281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15769.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	955282  
Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
BountyHunter51

Here's a link to some tips for working with Ultracote. Dos and don'ts and temp ranges. I hope this helps.............
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1115

Cheers! BH
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
wldhair

Thanks Hunterandjeff
I'll be sure and keep my instructor around for at least the next month or so . He's a very experienced pilot and I have great confidence in him AND he has a very calming effect on me LOL.
He (inst) suggested I keep everything on for at least a month and seeing as how we really only get to fly maybe once or twice a week , I'm ok with that. Don't worry I'm not about to retire the Nexstar its a nice plane to fly .

Thanks for the "thumbs up" wild_CCR
Have fun with your Foamy . I have a hobbyzone supercub foamy . They're alot of fun , easy to repair and alot less expensive. But I'm sure you know all of that

JR .... Ditto on what Hunterandjeff said. I used a paint removing heat gun the first few times on my Nexstar . I had a feeling it was gonna be way to hot so I kept it a ways away from the plane and kept it moving , But it was too hot , even with the precautions I took. I broke down a a real heat gun and and iron (both reg and trim). If you buy an iron be sure and use a cover . You can buya ready made cover OR (as the guy at my LHS told me ) just go buy some "infant socks" They'll slide right over the iron and you get like 4 pr for 99cents LOL.

ANYBODY got any ideas as to which direction the muffler deflector should be pointed to get the least amount of spray on the plane . I've got mine pointed up right now and the top of the wing and cockpit got pretty dirty , is down any better ???

Tom

Old 05-23-2008, 01:17 PM
wldhair

Hey Beatlebum.... Did you read this ?? Doby45 got his orderd and it went out the same day?? Why would yours be B/O hmmmmmmmmmm[sm=confused.gif]

Tom
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
wldhair

Good link BH
I learned something today . Whew! now I can goof off the rest of the day LOL

Tom[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM
smooreace

ORIGINAL: wldhair

ANYBODY got any ideas as to which direction the muffler deflector should be pointed to get the least amount of spray on the plane . I've got mine pointed up right now and the top of the wing and cockpit got pretty dirty , is down any better ???
I have mine pointed down right now.... it makes a pretty big mess on the bottom of the wing, and leading edge of the tail... but after flying, and its sitting there for everyone to come look at the astounding trainer... it looks fairly clean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99104.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	955323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32241.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	955324  
Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM
smooreace

ORIGINAL: Wild_CCR

Anyone have foamy repair experience? I may need a hint or three, never had a foamy. Should have it next week.
Ive used canopy glue on most of my repairs to my sons SuperCub.... elevator lost about 1/3 clunk... its its helf for at least 20 flights
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
doby45

Hey Beatlebum.... Did you read this ?? Doby45 got his orderd and it went out the same day?? Why would yours be B/O hmmmmmmmmmm[sm=confused.gif]

Tom

I called around to 4 or 5 places and made them confirm stock. I finally found a place that had one in stock, everyone else had said they were back ordered until mid June. It would be worth it to give the same place a call.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
wldhair

Thank you Smooreace
I just took apart the muffler a few minutes ago . Cleaned everything with gas (thats all I had around here) dried everything with compressed air . removed the baffle and put everything back together and loctitied the #$^@ out of it (blue) According to everyone on this thread the loctite won't keep it together BUT until I figure out exactly where I want to point the dang thing . What the heck , it can't hurt . I've got it pointed down now , so we'll see .
I noticed you don't have the EVO motor in your Mustang . What are you running OS?
Thanks for the pics

Tom[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 PM
wldhair

Ahhh I thought you orderd yours direct from HH . I'm sure because Beatlebums is a warranty replacement , he has no choice but to wait that sucks

TOM[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM
jorgy-Delta

Tks Smooreace & Jeff,

wldhair,
I had mine pointing down & out slightly too,

keeps the mess on the bottom, plus a little easier to clean, wide and flat.
but it tends to collect around & behind the air scoop so.....

try foam tape [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=GPMQ4422&search=Go]foam tape[/link]
1/16" thick along the sides so that it is between the fuse and wing, when you tighten down the bolts, it will squish it between them
and up around the back & behind the scoop.
Wherever the goo can get inside, try to seal it off.

* cut the tape length wise w/ scissors, that doubles the amount you have, plus makes a really nice fit.

Don't use the thicker 1/8" foam tape, as the wing saddle is a pretty tight fit as is, but its ok behind the scoop.

It'll last about a season, then replace it. fuel goo slowly ruins it, starts coming unstuckamified...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Orso

I am so glad I found this site,The informatation is great, I got my P-51 last week and the left wing landing gear mount was not even glued in I went back to the hobby store (hobby town) and they ordered me a set of new wings and let me keep the old as well if I wanted to change the servos myself !!! I now have and extra set that I will be repairing the landing blocks in I hope to make the maiden flight this weekend with an Instructor.The sim training is great I can fly / land without a problem so hope it is accurate.Good luck and thanks for all the help.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 PM
smooreace

Thank you Smooreace
I just took apart the muffler a few minutes ago . Cleaned everything with gas (thats all I had around here) dried everything with compressed air . removed the baffle and put everything back together and loctitied the #$^@ out of it (blue) According to everyone on this thread the loctite won't keep it together BUT until I figure out exactly where I want to point the dang thing . What the heck , it can't hurt . I've got it pointed down now , so we'll see .
I noticed you don't have the EVO motor in your Mustang . What are you running OS?
Thanks for the pics

Tom[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Yes, running a OS 46AX. I couldnt see paying the extra $280 for the Evo and JR radio when I definately planned to go bigger later. I now have 5 planes up to an 82 inch kit powered by a US Engines 45cc gas engine. I guess you can say Im hooked!! And broker every day[X(]
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM
wldhair

Sounds like you're hooked alright LOL . I have three Nitro planes and one elec foamy. I have no plans on going bigger BUT I too am learning about "broker" LOL My next plane will be a T-34 Texan nitro . I don't really know why , its just a plane that interests me . I've never even seen one other than in a catalog LOL. Its all about "broker "

Tom[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
wldhair

Good Luck Orso errrrrrr should I say "happy landings"

remember : its all about preparation then screw it and do it

Tom[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

CCr,
Glenn is your name huh? Mine is Jeff, Hunter is my 10 year old son. If I can remember, I'll call you that from now on (easier to type LOL). The typoon looks really good. I am a big fan of warbirds and scale although I don't really have much to offer in that category right now. My Byron P-51 might be done by August - I just need to get off of my arse and do it. It is going to be a real challenge because very little of the unique hardware it posesses was in the box. It was manufacured in 1981. wow 50oz a square is a bit heavier than I am used to flying my extras and stuff. Landing on a hard surface will be really cool with that beast. I have always loved the looks of a Hawker Typhoon. Just saying the name of it brings the chills down my spine. I like the Hawker Temest really well too. They just look BAD sitting there on the tarmack! Our field when completed will have a 700' asphalt runway and a 900' grass runway in front of it. We were supposed to be moved in by now but the contractors are dragging thier *****$ES and it is really ticking alot of club members off. Hopefully by August or september. It is supposed to rain all weekend and that really sucks.

Tom, It looks like you have a great start. Keep it up, and good luck getting those nasty wrinkles out.
Jeff

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
wldhair

Unstuckamafied ??? LOL [sm=shades_smile.gif] Gotta love that term

Tom
Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

What is that suppose to mean? Sometimes really funny stuff just goes over my head. Hmmmm, unstuckamafield? fill me in. I am always good for a new funny term. Last month, CCR said that I got my "two bobs worth" and I had no idea what he was talking about untill he explained - now I got a new vocabularyyyy HEHE LOL.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.