Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
bigmann292

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Well guys here the bird is all PLUCKED before and after LOL.And the other one is One I picked up on RCU $125 RTF its a GP P51 with a GMS 47 motor and JR Electronics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28893.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	975461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96407.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	975462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92192.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	975463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88539.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	975464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52926.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	975465  
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Dolby45, great job so far - love the pilot.
Hey guys, I took my 10 year old son to the club today and put him on the mustang. He just soloed 3 weeks ago and boy can he ever fly it. Not even buddy boxed. Once he said "Dad, I can't which way it is going" and handed me the reciever where I got it around where he knew the attitude of it and then I just simply handed the transmitter back ( it was really cloudy today and this little jem is hard to see when it is cloudy, but no wind ). He ran 2 tanks of fuel through it without incident. It is a great plane to fly. Mine doesn't have the training stuff on it either.
Well, I posted pictures of the Quick Silver mustang a few pages back and upon thinking about it (quite often in fact) I am definately going to do that scheme to mine. Just don't know when. Maybe this fall. I have 3 arf's to build right now and they are a friend's so that is priority. I will let you all know when I start.
Jeff
Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Congrats to your son on a successful day with the P-51 . Sometimes its amazing to see how fast kids catch on and they have no fear LOL. Glad you had a good day at the field ...

TOM[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
wldhair

BigMann and BH
Great pics !! I would be thinking of putting the lites on the front edge at the very tip of the wing . You say the tip is fiberglass huh hmmmmmm shouldn't be too difficult even for me I'll probably pic up the lites next week .

Hey ! as long as you both have your wings all de-skinned how about a pic of the bottom of the wings so I can see this landing gear block everyone (almost everyone) is complaining about....

You gonna put lites in yours Bigmann?

TOM[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-21-2008, 08:55 PM
wldhair

Hey BH

The decal job did turn out nice , I chuckled to myself as I was putting them on LOL . And , best of all , they got my wife to roll her eyes again LOL[sm=75_75.gif]
Thanks so very much for the instructions and you can bet you made my day .

TOM [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I recently downloaded the PDF files for the IMAC basic, sportsman, intermediate and advanced. I taught Hunter how to use them and what the sybols mean and he is now my caller when I do IMAC with my DP Extra 330L. He is really doing a great job paying attention to what is going on and calls my routines as I fly. He is also my pit crew - of course, he doesn't have to do it all, I do it too. We flew 3 flights today consisting of two routines each and he didn't drop the ball, once. He is at his mom's house for the next week and I am going to have to practice, practice, practice while he is gone because he will soon beat me at flying and X-box guitar Hero!!!!!
Tomorrow is suppose to be a great day so I am staying in tonight and am going to the field early in the morning!! HEEE Hawwww!
Jeff
Old 06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
bigmann292

Wldhair yep you bet while I have it part Im going to do it rightAt least I hope its right.LOL And I think Im going to go with retracks also.And on my wings it looks like the guy beefed up one sid and left the other alone.I bet he had a hard landing and folded one side up and did the repair.He cut out a section of bulsa and put in a new piece and used alot of wood pud and CA.I tried to remove the wheels but they wont budge[:@]I dont plan on flyn this at all this year but next year watch out CRASH AND BURN CRASH AND BURN BABY[sm=lol.gif]And I made up my mind Im going all out and Im puttn a Thunder Tiger 91 in her.Same size as the 61 but alot more PUNCH!!I have a old farmer up in Phillips Wi. hes been building planes for 30+ years hes going to help me with everything just have to get my butt up there.Maybe Ill stop in by ya sometime this summer WLD when I go up that way Ill bring the other bird and we can go flyn.Also here is a pic of my real toy.

Name:	Tr50859.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	975656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65487.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	975657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69867.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	975658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81635.jpg
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	975659  
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM
wldhair

I used to live in Medford so I know where Phillips Wi is and I've been there many times .It might be a little out of your way (west) but it would be fun to get in a few flights together .
I like your other toy .What year is it ? I have an 06 ultra .

TOM.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-22-2008, 01:32 PM
akz28

I am considering getting the ARF version of this plane as a follow on to my NexStar ARF.

Assuming that when I build this plane, I make the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer, If I leave off the leading edge foils, can someone please tell me if this will affect the ascend/descend trim. Would I need to trim the elevator to compensate? Or does it not matter?

I like to get my planes as close to level flight as possible to start with, so I dont have to do too much trimming with the radio while airborne.

Thank you.....................
Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
bigmann292

Well went out today to do my maiden flight with my Parkzone J3 at a local high school what a FREAKN JOKE[:@]First off Im new to this so I watched they guys fly for awhile and one guy ask well where is your plane?In my truck Im new I just wanted to see what was up over here I told the guy so I went and got my J3.I came back All SMILES and introduced myself and said I was a newbie and would like to learn the right way and would someone help me AND THEY ALL POINT TO THE SAME GUY. So cool I have the best guy to show me the ropes IM thinkn O.K.So this guy takes me out to field and starts to explain things to me and Im listening to him as he is giving the bird a quick wirl around the sky.THEN IT STARTED[sm=punching.gif]He asks me hey where did ya get the plane what hobbyshop/my reply EBAY dudes face turned red[:@]!Then the guy goes into a rant about buyn from a lhs and people will help ya buy crap from Ebay on your own.So I fired back $159 at LHS Ebay $60 Shipped why waist $100 bucks same plane just cheaper.Then he fires back Ebay sells nothing put crap that nobody wants or burned it out and just want to get rid of.And this is coming from a guy who when he saw that I had the J3 said thats a great plane and a good trainer "BEFORE HE KNEW I BOUGHT IT FROM EBAY".THIS GUY IN 2min. took me from being a HAPPY LITTLE CAMPER TO WANTING TO TAKE THE PLANE AND DUMPING IT INTO THE 55 GAL. DUMPSTER[:@]Well I did fly the bird O.K DIDNT CRASH IT some guys said not bad for first time I kept it in the air so that put a smile back on my face.So Im watching the plane s and listening to the talk, and that same a** Hole that was bad mouthing Ebay is complaining about HOBBYTOWN so Now IM scratching my head whats up with this JERK!!Come to find out this guy owns the local HAPPY HOBBIE Shop WHAT A FREAKN JERK!!!This experiance today was enough to make a newbie say screw it Im done if this the kinda guy you have to deal with when you want to fly and have a good time FORGET IT!!BUT Im better than that.lucky for me there is 3 flyn clubs within 10 minutes from my house so next weekend Im going to go check them out. The one club is pretty big their out of West Bend Wi. They are havn a big fly in next sunday so Im going to check it out.And Im not sayn all the guys where that way today it just took the ONE GUY TO RAIN ON MY PARADE.I also have a empty field right down the road from me thats where Im going to practice my flyn.Very nervous with all eyes on NEWBIE dont want to mess up but I guess you all went threw that.So thats how my FIRST FLIGHT WENT Sunday. Thanx for letn me vent guys
Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
wldhair

Hey Bigmann
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I think Beatlebum also had a problem with a guy at his field , turns out he was the lhs owner too ..hmmmmmmm, I've been very lucky , only met one jerk and he didn't renew his membership. I've gotten nothing but support and help from all my fellow club members and as I get better at what I do , I fully intend to pass that support and help onto the next "newbie" that comes along.
By all means don't let one guy ruin the experience , you're lucky enough to have more clubs in your area check em out and go with the one that welcomes the "newbie" the best and has an instructor who DOESN'T own a hobby shop LOL

TOM[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Yeah, bigman, don't let one *****h@ ruin your day with his ranting an raving I bet there is alot of great people at that club too. With any club there are a couple of guys that can completely ruin it for everyone including their club. Funny, our LHS owner is the same way, I won't even step foot in his store unless I am completely desperate! Keep buying from Ebay, there are alot of good deals out there, but be careful, there are some bad ones also. I would rather put extra $$$$ in my gas tank to go to the club than to "donate" it to the LHS because he is a total jerk.
I am one of our club instructors, and I know that when you treat people like S@#$, they won't come back. I aproach people with kindness, and lots of information for them in a diplomatic sort of way. Under no circumstances would I EVER say that what they have to fly is garbage even if it was. Clubs need new members to keep going, and they don't get new members by being jerks. At our feild, we strive to have hospitality and that should carry through everything that you do.
Good luck to you and sorry you had a bad experience, it will get better for ya.
Jeff
Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
beatlebum

welcome to the club of crabby hobby shop owners. The guys at that feild perty much fly nothing but highwings. I met up with a group of guys bout a hour from me and its going to work great. Just gotta get a time together to start again. The guy who is training me does alot of 3d flying some im sure anthing i do wrong he should be able to save.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 AM
akz28

I am considering getting the ARF version of this plane as a follow on to my NexStar ARF.

Assuming that when I build this plane, I make the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer, If I leave off the leading edge foils, can someone please tell me if this will affect the ascend/descend trim. Would I need to trim the elevator to compensate? Or doesnt it matter?

I like to get my planes as close to level flight as possible to start with, so I dont have to do too much trimming with the radio while airborne.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM
jorgy-Delta

ORIGINAL: akz28

Assuming that when I build this plane, I make the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer, If I leave off the leading edge foils, can someone please tell me if this will affect the ascend/descend trim. Would I need to trim the elevator to compensate? Or doesnt it matter?

akz28, sorry you got missed w/ your question. I'm sure it wasn't on purpose. W/ends are busy for most

The ARF version of this plane is very easy to assemble. The tail is almost completly assembled. You only need to attach the rudder & elevators, then the parts fit into place & you tighten 2 nuts. (same as the PTS, but you'll have to ca the actual rudder & evelvator in place ) You see what I mean when you get it. Very easy.

Yes, the trim will be a little different, but its very easy to adjust. I too like my a/c set up as close to level flight w/o touching the trim levers. My current pony only needs 1 click of down & thats only because I can't get a 1/4 turn on the clevis.

After you assemble the ARF, use a couple strips of balsa and a couple cloths pins to hold the surfaces in place, dead center ( Aileron,Rudder, Elevator & Flaps if used ) do one at a time.
Be sure the servos are centered-
easy way: BEFORE you connect the clevis's to the horns- turn on Tx, Rx make sure all the radio trims ( sub trim too ) are at zero. Then gently clamp the the rudder for example, in place, dead center. Adjust the clevis to length. If you take your time, you won't need a lot of trim adjustment. The manual is very well done & easy to follow!
Th a/c is very well built. All three of mine have been extremely easy to trim out.

** Donnie & Marie huh[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

poor poor Jimmy gets left out.......again!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
RedTwilight

akz28 - Also don't forget to check your CG. After you do as Wild CCR stated above and you take it up for it's first flight; if needed adjust the trims for straight and level. Then once your on the ground you can can manually adjust the control surfaces to the needed trim. That way your trim buttons can be recentered and the plane will be trimmed out.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
wldhair

If I get another one , I'll name it "jimmie" LOL I promise
Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 PM
BountyHunter51

Wldhair,
Let me know when you pick up another one. LOL

Cheers!! BH
...............I REALLY need a nap!............

Name:	Hf97982.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	977141  
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
wldhair

LMAO LMAO I'll let you know have a nice nap!

TOM

BTW ... now that I've quit laughing . Don't forget to check your mail in the next few days .
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
akz28

Wild CCR and RedTwilight,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
ztate

My neighbor had one and the moment he got it in the air it was a ticking time bomb. His instructor crashed it when it did a tip stall with the droops still on. He decided it wasn't a good trainer and bought a high wing. It was $120 down the drain.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 AM
smooreace

Sounds like he needed a better trainer. The first key that makes a trainer such a great benefit to us new guys is that he can look over an airframe and find mistakes, both ours in assembly, and those made by the manufacturer. Sounds like he may have had a set of wings with different washout as mentioned by a few others in the recent past. The PTS lineup of planes (all 3 of them) are far too easy to fly for a situation like that to be expected, or excepted as normal.

I too had a bad trip to the field on Sunday... started with a bad gust of wind from an RV snapping my 82" sport in half and sending the aft 60" of fuselage into oncoming traffic. Thank god it didn't hit another car. I made it to the field finally, with only my PTS to fly and was yelled at first for flying over a house that is know to be a no-fly zone. My plane wasn't even put together yet. Then... 3 flight I was practicing approaches with flaps to see if I could get a 0 ground speed landing ( it never happened) and I got yelled at for flying in front of the pits too fast... Im somehow scaring other fliers when I scream by. I was obviously not having a good day, and that made me snap.. "Hey a-hole... my pass was from a near 200 yrd idle approach... this thing cant go any slower". I landed and left. The property owner is the LHS owner... the second LHS that is now on my black-list. Im hoping that the 3 other guys that were present with new PTS's saw what happened and follow my lead. Its so unfortunate that people like him cant see what damage they do to themselves when they treat the people that pay their bills that way. In then end, I did get 3 good flights in that day, and many comments on how great the plane flew.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 AM
mydartswinger

Hello all,
I picked up the RTF version of this plane a little over a week ago and dropped my DX7 in it, then started my flight training with it this past Saturday (21 June). I've got about 5-6 flights on it now. I've been doing well except with my approaches. I have made several decent landings despite my difficulty with approaches. My biggest issue with the approaches is that when I glide as my instructor tells me to (cutting the throttle to idle on downwind when the airplane is in front of us, and gliding through to touchdown), I end up short and executing a go-around (I'm having a hard time figuring out just how much up elevator to use to keep the speed up without losing altitude to quickly). I can make a better approach by cutting the approach short with a steep glidepath to the runway, but that makes my instructor nervous. His intent is to prepare my skills for "dead stick" landings. He has been instructing for many years with high wing trainers and I'm his first student on the PTS series airplanes. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to make an approach with this airplane? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as my flying field experiences, they have all been decent. I went with my buddy to a club that came recommended by one of the guys at the LHS. It was a nice club and most of the members I met were nice and welcoming. Unfortunately, since I also fly helis, this field was not for me since they do not even allow helis to fly at their field, plus it just didn't feel right. So I continued my search and found another field that's about the same distance from my house that does welcome helis as well. The membership is mostly fixed wing, but like I said, helis are welcome. I called the club president and arranged a meeting at the field. He was there when he said he would be there and answered my questions satisfactorily. He is also a club instructor and offered to take me for my first flight. Unfortunately, I had a mishap after startup that ended my day early and was unable to fly. Even though the incident was my fault, everyone at the field made me feel a bit better by saying that it happens to all of us and still welcomed me to join. So I joined that day. The next weekend (as mentioned above), I made it to the field and was able to get another instructor to maiden the Mustang and take me for my first flight. The day was ended early by an incoming storm. So I came out Sunday and was able to get 4-5 more flights in before another storm ended the day. My instructor gave me his number and told me to call him during the week if I would be able to make it out to the field for more lessons. I guess I'm lucky to have had such an experience with the field/club/club members.

Happy flying.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mydartswinger
My biggest issue with the approaches is that when I glide as my instructor tells me to (cutting the throttle to idle on downwind when the airplane is in front of us, and gliding through to touchdown), I end up short and executing a go-around (I'm having a hard time figuring out just how much up elevator to use to keep the speed up without losing altitude to quickly). I can make a better approach by cutting the approach short with a steep glidepath to the runway, Happy flying.
When you cut the throttle, bring it back up say 3 clicks. The amount will differ with different models, and it's up to you to figure out what works for your model. And on calm days, it might be 2 clicks, while on windy 4 clicks.

You don't keep the speed up using up elevator. Nose up slows the airspeed. Nose down increases airspeed.

And you can't keep a model in the air using up elevator. Deadstick or at idle, up elevator just trims the pitch toward nose-up pitch. And that slows forward speed.

What one thing will help the most? Learn to watch the model's pitch very closely and to control it accurately. If you want to glide the farthest, the plane won't do it if you're seeing it gliding with the nose up. The longest glide comes when you keep the airspeed up and the nose just a touch down from level.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How to do what your instructor wants?

Have him demonstrate. When he does it, watch the pitch attitude of the airplane. And his hands on the sticks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.