Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
spec450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

wish i could help. I have one with a crushed front end haha.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
aaroncmh

I can't believe you guys let this thread die! I read the entire thing...started when I ordered my PTS in early February and finished in less than a month. 
I feel like I've known Tom for years. Ha, ha

My Mustang is at HH as we speak...I couldn't get the Evo engine to stay running in the air. The first 4 flights were pretty decent (the very first landing was perfect I still can't believe it) then 9 out of the last 10 flights were dead sticks. Only broke the LG blocks that I rigged up until the 10th one when the fuse broke. I had solicited advice from HH after 4 in a row a few Saturdays ago but none of it worked (obviously). Plus I read countless threads on tuning to no avail. They've had her since the 19th and said she might get assigned to a tech by the end of the week. 

So I went back to flying a PZ T-28 and P-47 but they aren't nearly as fun as the nitro P-51 PTS by Hangar 9. And oh yeah, I accidentally won an OS55AX on ebay...it was a make offer thing and apparently a bit too good of an offer. No remorse tho I bought it one night when I was pissed off at the Evo and plan to put it in the Mustang when she comes back and the Evo is sorted. However, I have been living RC planes for a few months now and researched night and day and bought a H9 Pulse XT 40 last week. My first ARF and although I was fuming mad a few times during the "build" I did get to maiden her on Saturday...5 successful flights! And the OS55 ran great so I'm thinking the Evo is defective somehow (hoping actually so it can be fixed). 

I'm self taught (so to speak), bought a little RTF Champ and had fun the first night with it but any wind at all kept her down so I ordered the PTS and bought the Phoenix Sim. Then came the Trojan and a little later the Jug...it's been snowballing since I started but I'm good for a while I think (spent more money than I wanted to of course). Still I'm researching the next one every day. It's gonna be a H9 60 size P-47 or maybe a Top Flite P-51...something with a DLE 20 I think. 

Well there's my life story too. Ha, ha and I hope this thread still accepts my post (first post actually) after all this typing. 
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Welcome to RCU, AAroncmh!!
This thread didn't die, it will always be alive WAHHHHaaHaaaaHaaaa!! All of us are just probably still lurking lol.
Good luck with your mustang and engine, you will find that when you get her running properly, she is a blast to fly and you will be rewarded with many flights unless there is suddenly a massive earthquake and the ground waves up suddenly and meets your plane like it has done with a few of us - ie, rooftops, water flying etc!
J
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 AM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

This thread is not dead is it -? LOL Its just winter here and it has been for a long friggin time lol.
Last year I kinda gave up flying for awhile I got to the point where I had to step away from it for a bit . Not sure why , maybe it was the becoming more work than fun, you know , packing everything up (2 or 3 planes +all the gear ) driving 30 miles to the field unloading everything putting it all together -flying for a hour or two then pack it all up and take it back home (30 miles) then unload everything and haul it all back downstairs -it just got to be too much .... The worst part is I retired in July I could fly whenever I wanted just wasn't motivated to do so .
So I stepped back- Winter kinda hit early this last year and its lasting a long long time (hell , we still got at least a foot of snow on the ground )- . Over the winter I decided NOT to quit fllying but to approach it from a different angle -and try to make it more fun than work -more enjoyable and less stressful . Not sure exactly how I'm gonna do that but I'm gonna try .
As For my Mrk 1 Mustang - its still my favorite plane its my "comfort plane" . I am still running the EVO engine and it has never quit on me , in fact I put a tuned pipe on it (doesn't really go much faster but it looks cool ) lol
I still have a NEW mark 1 still in the box (ARF) and if I ever crash the one I have now -I'll start over with the 55ax just cuz lol
Like many have said on this thread "she may not be the fastest plane at the field but she damn sure is one of the prettiest" .........
I now own a few "warbirds" Spitfire Texan P-51B but the HH mark1 P-51 Mustang will always be one of the planes that goes to the field with me every trip nuff said

DEAD , MY ASS LOL

Tom
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 AM
aaroncmh

Hunter and Jeff, I liked it when everyone was giving Hunter some attaboys and he signed on to write back. Ha, ha you guys still flying? I have no idea how long ago that was really...it seems like it just happened last month to me. Hunter might be in college by now chasing girls. 

I get the "work" feeling for you Tom...I'm lucky to have 22 1/2 acres so if the weather EVER decides to cooperate here in Central Ohio I can roll out back and fly. I'm about to give up on everything tho as the snow on the ground is very depressing. Ha, ha no kidding it's ridiculous this year. Thankfully I got out on Saturday with the Pulse...but yeah the Mustang is way more cool every which way. 

Glad you guys are doing swell,
Aaron
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 AM
wldhair

God !!! Even I can land on 22 1/2 acres LMAO
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Thanks for thinking of us Arron, Hunter is not in college yet but he is in Jr High. He still flys and could be one of the best but his interest is in golf. He is in High school golf and may letter this year. He was racing motorbikes for a few years (kx - Kawasaki two stroke) but he took a 37 footer wrong and broke his femur right below the ball and socket almost two years ago. This happened on June 24th 2011 and he was in a wheel chair and crutches for his whole summer vacation. He doesn't ride anymore but he does still fly sometimes and hopefully someday after he gets out of college he will get the "bug" again and I will have a flying buddy!
My P-51 is very ready for a complete overhaul. We live in sage brush country and I was doing a high speed pass last year very low (about 97mph) and my rudder hit a sagebrush branch and it ripped off! I managed to land the plane without further damage but still have to fix it!
Anyway without rambling too much, it is great to hear from ya Tom, I wish that all of us PTS mustang guys lived close to each other and we could create our own feild where it would be fun and not many STUPID rules, we would have a blast flying together.
Jeff
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
wldhair

Nice to hear from you too Jeff hope all is well and you get your mustang re built -I think I'm gonna take my Mustang down to Corbin KY this summer and fly a little bit with the "Legend " AKA" Bounty Hunter " Just gotta work out the details with the "little woman " Should be fun

Choi for now

Tom
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 AM
BountyHunter51

Good to see folks posting on this thread again. Lots of good folks have contributed along the way.
I hope that you can make it down this summer, Tom. We'll definately have to get some flying in this time!

Cheers!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 AM
BountyHunter51

***** Double Post *****
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 AM
wldhair

I just checked - the snowbanks in front of my house are 4 ft high and 3 ft thick its gonna be awhile before this boy is able to fly anything lol
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM
aaroncmh

Jeff, that really sucks about Hunter however it's a blessing that it wasn't worse. Ironically I started riding MX in 2007 with my future father-in-law and I had 4 surgeries in less than 3 years (08, 09 and 10) and "retired" after the last injury. Mine were never as bad as a femur tho...those can be really bad with the femur bleeding and all.

On another positive note, Tom seems kinda condescending since he retired.  Ha, ha for the record, I don't have a 22 acre "runway" but if it ever dries out I'm gonna have a nice place to land (gotta get the tractor out to make it work). Where I land now I have to come in pretty steep to clear some trees but it's kind of a trial by fire I guess...it's cool how you get better at this "sport" with practice.
But yeah a few years ago Tom was so timid and the Nexstar was his comfort plane and fixing the landing gear blocks was a HUGE deal. Ha, ha I thought it was cool how you (Tom) went from seemingly worrying about fixing the landing gear blocks to having 50 rc planes and working on all of them constantly. :-)
And Tom, I'm supposed to drive up to my FILs house today to try and get him back into RC planes...and it's 30 minutes away. How you like them apples?! Ha, ha
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
wldhair

I'm still timid when it comes to flying and the Nexstar is still hanging in there and goes to the field every once in awhile.>>>>>50 planes!? lol I have FEW but no where near what Bounty Hunter has . He has a Garage full of Helis and planes
I am scared to death everytime I take a plane up , weather it's the Nexstar or any of the others , including the Mustang . I guess its cuz I've never been really taught how to really fly . Our instructor at the club is a great guy and has taught me alot . Landing and taking off is no real big deal anymore but I've destroyed at least 4 aircraft on their "maiden flights". Not because the planes weren't set up right ,just by being dumb. I'd love to learn all those tricks that some people do with their planes and that would keep it from being so boring once you're in the air . War birds are cool looking but as far as arobatics >>not so much . Its pretty much fly them around , do a low pass or two , maybe a roll or two mixed in with a loop , then land . Thats it .
I have planes that will to the tricks >> but not the knowledge . Its one of the things I wanna learn this summer, but I'm not sure anybody in our club knows how to teach me.
LOL the only reason I mentioned the 22 and 1/2 Acres is , one of the guys at the field always gives me a hard time about either using ALL of our field (which is pretty big) to land OR not using enough of it LOL>>> so I guess 22 1/2 acres would be about right lol
BTW I just went and looked I have HH Mustang a Spitfire (which has never been flown)an AT-6 Texan (four stroke-air retracts, which has never been flown ) I have HH Ultra stick with 55 ax (goes like a bat outta hell ) A P-51B Mustang with Mech retracts (maiden flight last summer) Nexstar (old faithful) and I have a Mark 1 HH mustang Arf new in the box (spare parts lol) and Funfly P-51 Kit 3D not done yet and a PC6 Porter ARF in the box and last but not least >>my little foamy supercub elec which hasn't beeen in the air in about 3 yrs lol
so I'm a little shy of 50 lol
I have crashed a hh Mustang (hit a tree wide open>>> wasn't pretty ) I've crashed a "zero" on its maiden . I have crashed a Corsair on its "maiden". I have crashed and destroyed a Nexstar . I have crashed an destroyed a 3D plane (forgot the brand). I have crashed my current Nexstar (hit a tree) but has been repaired and flys great . I have crashed my ultra stick , it has been repaired and flys great >>> so I guess I DO need alot of planes lol and alot of space lol
Hope its a better summer than last year lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
aaroncmh

Can I have the AT-6 Texan Tom love those...how much to ship to Ohio.

It's funny I "found" a 60 H9 P-51 near Indy which is about 3 hours away...was thinking it was stupid to drive over there for it but I remember you driving somewhere even farther to get a new bird so I almost did it. The guy wasn't around that weekend so I ended up with the Pulse XT 40 and put it together and had a nice maiden last Saturday. He actually emailed me to say I could come get it last Saturday but I had shot my wad...so to speak. However I'm happy with how it worked out.

Speaking of that you'd like the Pulse Tom. It's really fun and not nearly as nerve racking as the Mustang PTS (to me anyway)...not having to dead stick her every time helps too. Giant wings and really light and I've been doing some inverted flight and knife edge and rolls and Immelmans or whatever. I've been watching tutorials on mild and sometimes wild aerobatics on Youtube too...I'm wondering how much time (and money for repairs) you'd have to spend to get as good as some of those guys are at the 3D stuff...amazing even if it's not my cup 'o tea at this point.

And I was just giving you a hard time pal...since I feel like I know you and all. Smiley face
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
wldhair

No offense taken at all my EVO engine has NEVER quit on me . I know that there's been alot of people with problems with the EVO . I must've gotten a good one ,hence I've never had to dead stick the Mustang .
You mentioned the plane I drove about 250 (each way)in a friggin blizzard to get . I had almost forgotten that one . I crashed that one on its "maiden " also lol
Funny you should mention "The pulse" I've looked at it several times along with the "tango" but so far I haven't bought one cuz I don't know how I'd sneak another plane in the house without getting caught lol
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM
aaroncmh

Can you sneak it in from the car when she's asleep?! 

Myself, I'm pretty stoked today as the PTS will be here this afternoon. I'm sure the new Evo will purr like a kitten! Woo hoo! 

Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
wldhair

sneaking it in the house is no problem I'm retired - she 's still working (and not taking it well ) lol . It's where to put it once its in the house . The basement is my designated area for all hobbies and work shop . All my planes (that are assembled and RTF) are hanging from the ceiling and I'm bettin she counts them each time she goes down there . There is no more room unless I crash something >> which I'm sure will happen , but not during the winter lol.
As I said , my Evo has never let me down so as long as its running great , I'm gonna keep it on the P-51. If it ever goes bad , I'll replace it with a 55ax. From what I've heard , that should wake the little Stang up just a bit.
Good luck with your New one. Keep us Northerners informed lol
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 AM
wldhair

By God , They're talking about temps in the high 60 's to lower 70's this weekend . I guess I'm gonna have to start cycling some batteries and getting ready to "take to the air"
I went by the field yesterday and it looks like ol man winter has taken its toll. Flight stations need work , fencing (knee high) around pilot stations need to be placed and fencing in general looks like it needs some serious attention,and this was just my observation as I drove by . I'm sure it'll look worse the closer I get .
I've been toying with the idea of getting an elec plane (going over to the dark side ) . Some of the members have a some and they are pretty nice . Big and nicely detailed war birds (P-51s and P-47s and such) I'll have to do more research as I know nothing about elec planes . But it would be nice to be able to fly out at the local ball park and not have to drive 30 miles each way to the field and not have to haul all the gear needed for Glow ..... food for thought .
On another note . The last time I flew last year I "maidend" by 40 size corsair and promptly tried to yank it into the air before obtaining enough ground speed and it , of course, stalled and went nose first into the ground. I was angry at myself and there was a lot of damage so I asked one of the members if they wanted it as I was not in the mood for repairing . One of them said sure and so I took out my RX and Battery and fuel tank and gave it to him .
Over the winter it kinda gnawed at me as to "why I screwed up the maiden flight " and I wished I had another chance at it .
To make a long story short , I contacted the guy who had it and asked him "what it would take to get the plane back " He had already repaired it and it had been flown and seemed ok .
He told me I could have it back for NOTHING as he was converting most of his stuff to Elec .
I offered him money over and over again while I was at his home picking up the Corsair but he refused and as I was getting into my truck to leave , I offered one more time " you sure you don't want anything for fixin up the Corsair?" He thought for a minute and smiled and said "Just fly it "
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Wow, that is a great score! It is good to have freinds like that. In this day and age, it seems those people are far and few.
J
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
wldhair

Ain't that the truth
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
wldhair

8 friggin inches of snow on May 2&3 rd , I guess you could say my flying season has been put on hold for awhile grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must live a charmed life....yesterday I got my RV-8 from Hangar 9 (from flea bay) and today the H9 P-47 (.60 sized) and the Misses didn't see either one on the porch - and have disappeared 'somewhere' into the garage
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM
BountyHunter51

Look at the bright side Tom. You'll be down here in just over 30 days flying at the warbird event
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM
wldhair

looking forward to it Mike ... I'm only bringing the H9 P-51, does that qualify ? Kinda slow I'm sure , compared to some of the birds I'll see there
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
BountyHunter51

That will be perfect, Tom. I'm hoping to have my Corsair finished in time.
Are you coming in on friday or saturday?

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.