Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
rocknrube
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Right on Edgeman!!! I am so happy to hear that you had a great time with the plane. Mine is on the way right now as I post this.

I hope I can fly the dang thing as I am a newbie, but I am hoping that Mike designed this plane so that it is easy to take off and land?

I am also looking forward to the simulation software for practice and still looking for a instructor to plug into my TX for help should I require it.

Best of luck aerobatic Edgeman!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
wingride47
My Feedback: (2)

I got mine today but the box took a hit in shipping so now am not sure what to do check it out in my gallery. it got me back into fixed wing after a long exit from the hobby. I came back in helicopters but after seeing the ads for this i had to have one. looks good so far. wish i could have got it with a futaba flight pack as i have a new 7c.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:13 PM
raknin

Mike,

Since I comes from Helis and in AIRPLANE I am newbie (I am going to take an instructor for couple of lessons)
I have few questions:

1. To turn this trainer to a real aerobatic machine, do I need to upgrade this airplane to 60 engine or larger.
Does it build to hold such engine.
2. How this Trainer is different from the ARF 60 version beside the retracted wheels and the size, in term of performance.

Your answers will help me to decide what to buy.

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Sorry for the delay in rspondfing, I've been away for a week. Here are the answers:

1. the landing gear. How tough is it. I am concerned about it being in the wings and the normal tendencies of the new pilot to be pretty hard on the landing gear at times. So I can see where a really rough landing can literally destroy the wing.

The landing gear mounts in the wing are very strong. The LG are raked forward quite a bit, which is done to get the desired ground handeling (which is amazing). A side benefit to the forward rake is the way the lg absorbs landing shock. They'll bend forward and up rather than transfer as much load to the wing. Weve never broben a lg mount loose. If it would happen, call into our Priduct Support dept and they'll take care of you.

2. low speed handling. I have flown other planes will all the stuff bolted to the wings and they can be slowed quite allot but I have to admit that they fly much better to me without everything hanging off of them. As far as new pilots are concerned, the extras will help but at times can introduce bad habits. So to help unlearn theser habits, I'll usually leave the things on until they are pretty proficient at takeoffs and landings plus basic aerobatics. So my next question is:

The low speed handeling is very good. The Speed brakes and flaps keep the sped down quite a bit. They do induce drag which makes the glide path steeper, which means a student will learn to make shorter landing approaches and perhaps evev carrysome throttle till near touch down. I think thats a plus IMHO, since the model stays closer in and is less exposed to and effected by wind.

The NACA droops are amazing. We used a pretty radical shape (thanks to the help of Dr. Michael Selig), which make a huge difference to the stall characteistric of the wing. It is impossiblr to tip stall or spin with the droops on. In fact you can actually pull full up elevator and hold it, then steer around and land the model while never releasing full up.

3. How does it handle with all the extras removed.

With all the xtras removed, including the droops, it acts like a pretty aerobatic sport model. If I'd compare it most closely to the Hangar 9 T-34 in flight performance once everything is removed.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:19 PM
LANNYBOB

I CALLED HANGAR 9 TODAY (8-27-05) AND THEY SAID THEIR SENDING OUT THE FIRST SHIPMENTS ON MONDAY (8-29-05) . I'LL BE GETTING MINE BY WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY THEY SAID. I NOTICED MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED AND KNEW I'D BE GETTING MINE ON THE FIRST SHIPMENT.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
LANNYBOB

I CALLED HANGAR 9 TODAY (8-27-05) AND THEY SAID THEIR SENDING OUT THE FIRST SHIPMENTS ON MONDAY (8-29-05) . I'LL BE GETTING MINE BY WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY THEY SAID. I NOTICED MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED AND KNEW I'D BE GETTING MINE ON THE FIRST SHIPMENT.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 PM
wingride47

Lannybob I got mine last Thursday. Unfortunately it got damaged in shipping so I returned it today. See my gallery for pics. I did not want to give it back felt like I was giving away a kid or something. But the good news is my new one will be in this week. You wont believe how easy it goes together and the one I got really was a high quality product. I am telling you I think the designer of the year award is long overdue for M.Mc. and this plane just bears that out. And its not just the plane the whole package is quality. I have already decided from looking at this kit that my next plane after I get through this one is going to be the new p47 thunderbolt 150 from hanger nine. If the quality is anything like the p51 it should be yet another winner.
wingride47
Old 08-28-2005, 04:47 PM
echobot

My son got his P51 early this week and we took it out and flew it today.

The winds where gusting from 10 to 15 mph but we took it up anyway.

The info on the plane said to fly it with the fixed flaps down and we did. I didn't like it with the flaps down because it rocked side to side. I felt down flaps made the plane to unstable. When we landed we put the fixed flaps up and flew it again. The plane handled much better with the flaps up. On the third flight we took the air brakes off and flew it again. This plane handled very well but I thought it was still a little slow. On the next flight we took the baffle out of the muffler and now the plane was flying very nice. My son soloed about three weeks ago and he had no problem flying the plane with the changes we made. Since this is his first tail dragger he did bounce it quite a bit on his landings, but he still did a great job of flying the P51.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Rotor

I just assembled mine, at 35 years old and 20 years in flying...helis, too...I felt like I was 15 again...a pre-midlife crisis? dunno, but I can't wait to rip it around the patch this next week. The build was more of an assembly, taking around 2 hours due to a crying baby needing tending to. I love the 5 channel, but I will be using my 9303 on it to consolidate radios. I think that this baby will be all the craze!

andrew
Old 08-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Casedit

ORIGINAL: echobot

My son got his P51 early this week and we took it out and flew it today.

The winds where gusting from 10 to 15 mph but we took it up anyway.

The info on the plane said to fly it with the fixed flaps down and we did. I didn't like it with the flaps down because it rocked side to side. I felt down flaps made the plane to unstable. When we landed we put the fixed flaps up and flew it again. The plane handled much better with the flaps up. On the third flight we took the air brakes off and flew it again. This plane handled very well but I thought it was still a little slow. On the next flight we took the baffle out of the muffler and now the plane was flying very nice. My son soloed about three weeks ago and he had no problem flying the plane with the changes we made. Since this is his first tail dragger he did bounce it quite a bit on his landings, but he still did a great job of flying the P51.
Can you elaborate on taking the baffle out? what do you need to do to remove it and does it change the idle or slow speed performance of the motor? i.e. more air leaving the motor usually means it needs more intake, did you have to readjust the settings at all?

thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 AM
echobot

Can you elaborate on taking the baffle out? what do you need to do to remove it and does it change the idle or slow speed performance of the motor? i.e. more air leaving the motor usually means it needs more intake, did you have to readjust the settings at all?

thanks

To remove the baffle, take the nut off the exhaust end of the muffler and then remove the long screw that holds the muffler halfs together. The baffle is right where the two muffler halfs join. The baffle looks like a round disk with slots cut into it.

We didn't have to make any changes to the mixture when we took the baffle out, but you might have to adjust the high speed if needed.

Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Casedit

ORIGINAL: echobot
To remove the baffle, take the nut off the exhaust end of the muffler and then remove the long screw that holds the muffler halfs together. The baffle is right where the two muffler halfs join. The baffle looks like a round disk with slots cut into it.

We didn't have to make any changes to the mixture when we took the baffle out, but you might have to adjust the high speed if needed.

Hope this helps
Thanks echobot.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Glad everyone has some good stuff to say about the plane. We had about 3 planes on back order and sold all of them in a few days. I just couldn't believe it. I think hanger 9 made another nice plane. Who wouldn't think war-bird and trainer could be said in the same sentance. haha
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Casedit

Mine arrived last night, plane is beautiful. Man is it shiny!! Would it be nuts to weather a trainer?

Speaking of the finish - is "Marie" an actual p-51 scheme? I couldn't find any history on it...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM
shakes268

Marie was flown by USAAF ace Captain Freddie F. Ohr of the 15th Air Force.
The invasion stripes however were not part of the true P-51 scheme for Marie.

Here is a link to a picture of the real "Marie"

Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

I trained a guy on one this last Saturday. It was a perfect day with little wind and 85 degrees. And I can say the plane flew terribly. It's way under powered. The flaps make it terribly sensitive to pitch and throw those 3 blade props away. If I had to teach someone on that plane I would take off everything and put them on a box until they got the hang of it. I am a H9 fan and have owned may of their planes but obviously they went with looks instead of performance. I few a Goldberg Tiger II the same day for another guy and its was by far a better plane for a beginner, but it wasn't a war bird. If any of you guys hear a new person talking about buying this plane please talk them out of it.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was your CG correct?

Jerry
Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Casedit

t.bob:

ORIGINAL: BIFFETT
....however we fueld the plane up and the evolution ran rich but very smooth...we decided to put the flaps in the neutral position with the wind an all......takeoff went easily with the wide spaced landing gear an large tires......left the ground in less than 15ft......climbed nice into the wind and very slow without any tendecies to tip stall.....flew a basic pattern with a couple of large loops and barrel rolls.....crisp handling without much effort at all...... landing showed just how stable this thing is.....so slow you wonder why it's still up......just awesome. Keep in mind we did'nt have to adjust anything...the servos...the trim....the engine.....nothing. All were well in the norm straight from the factory. Flew like it was on rails and as stable as I've seen......well done hanger 9 and thank-you for thisplane. An easy sell to say the least.
Flew horribly? that's the only first person review of about 5 or so that were negative... read the above impression. How could two experiences be so vastly different? Makes me think it was a setup issue or dirty fuel?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also flown one of these, did the maiden and 4 training flights and it did have a climb problem at first. We raised the flaps one notch and all was well.

One thing I did notice is the EVO ran good but got hot, I mean hot to the point that you could smell it once you taxied it to the pits. We loosened the collars and retuned it and got a nice smoke trail out of it and then all was well.

After we got done with these 2 little items (total time was 15 minutes) this thing flew very very well. I'm considering one for myself and take off all the extras so I have a nice little sport plane to fly...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Casedit

bubba sent you a pm
Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM
T. Bob

I didn't build the thing so I'm not sure of the set up, but bubbagates is right it had a terrible clime rate even with the flaps up. Our field is surrounded by trees so it's quite important to to get up fast. It's just my opinion that the plane flew bad. I'm sure with an APC prop and some of the amenities taken off it would fly better.
Sorry guys it's just one guy's opinion.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 03:30 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe most 'trainer' planes will climb under power - that is the way they are designed. So the beginner hits the throttle wide open on takeoff and before he realizes it, he is 2 or 3 mistakes high!

With an instructor that wouldn't happen as he would trim it out to fly level by either elevator trim or throttle management.

Jerry
Old 08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
T. Bob

Old 09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
wingride47

Well, I have got mine toghether and it is all charged up and so am I. I am a newbe so we wil see if it indeed is a trainer or not. I hope to take it to the field one day this week end and fly it. I will let you know how it went once I try it. It appears that evan the radio is already set up. Very straight forward assembly. It took about an hour. I watched the video and went by the manual. We have certified instructors at our field (JSCRC) so I will let any of them try it that want to and let you know what they think as well. Good luck to all who bought one for it is our dollars that will hopefully bring out the next great plane.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

T. Bob,
Are you going to fool around with the plane some and could this be a thrust issue with the engine? Please let us know the outcome of what it took to get the plane right.

Hi Guys,
Mine should be here next Wednesday and I bought it just to fill a void as I won't be able to fly my new Wildhare 25% Edge or awhile. The new YS 140 in that plane needed to be shipped back to the distributor due to a bad crankcase for warranty replacement. Unfortunately the new engine will not get here until October. This plane should fill in nicely until then and I intend to swap out the JR receiver for one of my Hitec Supreme dual conversions. That way I can use my Eclipse 7 transmitter and synth module and sell the JR transmitter and receiver. Has anyone heard about replacement parts availability in the event that one of those inevitable slight mishaps occurs[X(]? Normally I would join the flight surfaces together with epoxy and not rely on bolts and screws. What do you more experienced guys think about this?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Casedit

I assembled mine last night... Did anyone have to sand down the two wing dowels to get them to slide all the way in? I had to sand about 15% of the dowels off otherwise the wing would not line up.

Also, wouldn't it have been better to make a removable canopy for two reasons.. one, you could route the charger wire up that way for the receiver so you don't have to take the wing off everytime you want to charge and two you could put a pilot in that empty looking space..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.