Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:26 PM
stallwart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Welcome Av8r Guy. I hope you realize what you've gotten yourself into..........lol. I started in r/c only 8 mos. ago, own 7 planes, 3 radios, 5 or 6 engines (I forget), almost every accessory you could think of-----and, I saw more stuff today that I'll have to get.

My first high wing is retired, rather I'm ignoring it out of boredom with it. I've been in no hurry to finish new projects because I've been flying the PTS every chance I get. It's more important to me to maintain it than finish 2 new planes I'd started assembling some time ago. I suspect you'll like the PTS, too.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Av8r Guy

Oh Great Stallwart !!! - now you tell me... . . . Seeing as how I like toys this could become a dangerous hobby to get into.

But I still have to learn how to fly first, time to loose the shirt tails !

Hopefully this snow will disappear soon and I will get to try my hand at flight with an Instrutor - hell if all esle fails there's always boats that I can sink and Helicopters I can rotate into the ground - not to mention cars I can wreck - lol

Thanks for the welcome, I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the R/C community
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Av8r Guy

I know this is way way ahead of my current level of experience - but has anyone ever put a set of retracts into this model ?? - I've always been fascinated by those R/C retracts, I think they add such a neat air of realism.

Any advice positive or negative about them from anyone ??
Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Av8r Guy

ORIGINAL: Nightmair

BIG NEWS GUYS! There's a LONG article on our P51 PTS in this month's Model Aviation....starts on page 55. That's the magazine we ALL get with our AMA membership!

It's very long, in depth and very technical. It even shows what to set your travel lengths to when you advance, and even supported my claim of rasing the aileron throw from 75% to 100%. It tells you exactly how the plane flies with the various combinations of training gear and even mentioned a landing gear mounting block failure after 43 landings. How he got this POS engine to run 43 times is beyond me though...

This month's' mag is a keeper!
Nightmare - I know this allot to ask, I'm a newbie from Canada and don't get the AMA - here I belong to MAAC. I'm really interested in that article and I was wondering how I could get a copy? or if it would be possible for you to share it with me by scanning it into a PDF or something. if thats to much thats ok, just thought I would ask

Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
stallwart

Yup, there a a couple of guys in this thread that have installed retracts. Pit viper 1 is one of them and also G-pete (I think). Both did masterful installations with good photos of their work. Mine used to retract upon landing, until we beefed up the gear blocks. Part of the fault was with the blocks---most was mine.
There is also a thread in this forum devoted to modifications that has recently started up. Just use pts as your search criteria and your screen will fill with threads about this plane.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Av8r Guy

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

FINALLY!!! Sometimes helps to buy the little more costly programs --- so I did, this video editor let me save the files in any format.
Now the clip is around 19Mb, down from 148Mb ok here is the link….enjoy.
[link=http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/P51%2010.wmv]P51 Video (click to open)[/link]
Awesome video ! - thanks G-Pete

Old 02-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Av8r Guy

Thanks Stallwart - I'll have a look back as well as at the other PTS threads .... do you have any advice for me on how to go about strengthening the landing gear before a newbie takes it to the sky and plants it on - lol ?? I just hate when my gear retracts on landing !
Old 02-17-2006, 10:54 PM
stallwart

Av8r Guy, left you a pm. Check inbox.

On the gear, if you can buddy box, leave flaps in deployed position until you are comfortable. After you have soloed, install flap servo (can't buddy box with flap servo installed and set up), set to 40-45% travel and use them for landing. Landings are quite easy with flaps. "Greasing" a warbird in without flaps means hotter landings, and I was accustomed to floating in from my high wing training. Had I begun with the PTS, I think my gear problems would not have been an issue.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:08 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Av8r Guy
enjoy.
[link=http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/P51%2010.wmv]P51 Video (click to open)[/link]
Awesome video ! - thanks G-Pete
Thanks But….that’s not all. The MDS is now real broken in and I use now higher fuel (20/20 Master), whith the change of the prop from 12X6 to 11X7 the engine turns now 14400RPM. The retracts give me less drag and now it’s cold here too, dang! With these speeds I decided to change to metal clevises. Cheap insurance, I had two incidences both on the ailerons. One, the servo block broke off and the plane goes real “mushyâ€, second the nylon pin of the clevis broke….again a “mushy†and had to fly and land with one aileron. Well, it is possible to fly with one aileron, if this would happen on the elevator…better pray.

Retracts? I have retracts, lot’s of work. But they look cool very aesthetic especially after the take off and you pull the gear in. this puts a big smile on my face.

Here is a serious thought…how about you put some skies on the PTS? You would be the first one!
Check this out [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=skies&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]Snow Skies[/link]

I think this would be very sharp…

ORIGINAL: KWJ48
OK guys I have a question for ya about the evo engine. I haven't had a chance to maiden my plane yet, but when I run the engine I can't get it to full throttle no matter what the needle settings. Any suggestions?
Do you have the red fuel hose on the exhaust (pressure line) and the green one (fuel) on the throttle body?

Turn the high speed needle all the way in, you have to lift the spring, and turn the needle 2 ½ turns out.

Turn your plane up so the exhaust tip points down and get rid of oil or fuel in there.

Get a second glow plug; the OS #8 is a little expensive but a good long lasting glow plug. (IMOO) In many cases the idle drops when you remove the igniter, this is also a sign for a bad plug. Further, the coil has to be straight and not mangled up.

How old is your fuel? If you let the fuel canister to long open your fuel attracts too much water and the performance goes down.

These .45 EVO’s don’t like long idle times – keep the throttle 15 to 25% open warm the engine up (1min) and try your WOT. Slowly and steady open until you reach full, and correct the highspeed. After that you go and get two clicks rich – keeps the engine from leaning out with a half full tank. Just keep in mind the engine turns 1000 to 1500RHM higher in the air.
Hope this helps...

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 02-18-2006, 03:49 AM
foofinator

Just to add to what Pete said..

Like he said, glowplug very possibly as a bad plug will extinguish itself when you add throttle and die.

If it's not the plug I am almost certain it is your tune. When you apply full throttle does it cut out or does it bog with lots of smoke and fuel coming out of the exhaust?

My guess is it's too lean. My evo's (all 4 of them) do not like to be run lean in the slightest bit and will cut out very easily once you advance the throttle to a certain point. Try richening it up, maybe even past the stop, I had to on most of mine. Keep richening it until you can run it up to full throttle, if you find that this setting is pig rich you more than likely have some kind of fuel delivery problem. Check your carb and fuellines for leaks and make sure your clunk is free in the tank. Also make sure your pipe is giving proper backpressure. I had this exact problem on my P-51 and I changed the fuel lines and went to 15% nitro. Now the engine runs perfectly.

So basically mechanically:

Replace the plug/fuel tubing (cheap fixes)
Check the clunk in the tank
Check carb for leaks (somewhat unlikely)

But first try to retune it.

Also, SMALL adjustments make a big change in the settings.

Hope I could help [&:]

Old 02-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Av8r Guy

Stallwart - Thanks, you saved me from a big mistake already as I have purchased the servo for the flaps and did not know that the buddy system would not work with it installed. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I will check the PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Av8r Guy

Retracts? I have retracts, lot’s of work. But they look cool very aesthetic especially after the take off and you pull the gear in. this puts a big smile on my face.

Here is a serious thought…how about you put some skies on the PTS? You would be the first one!
Check this out [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=skies&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]Snow Skies[/link]

I think this would be very sharp…
Are you suggesting that I switch to metal clevises ?

The skies would be very cool, if I were an experienced flyer I might consider it - but a rookie like me better stick to the basics for now - lol
Old 02-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Av8r Guy

I have a question for all you experienced PTS fliers - as a full scale pilot I know all to well the undesirable effects of stall/spin. I have read in earlier posts about fliers that have questioned the power performance of the PTS with all the training aids in place.

seeing that I'm a new flyer - I don't want the model to be to fast and allow it to get ahead of me mentally - however I also don't want to get it to slow and drop it in. Being new I won't have as much experience with controlling the power and I was wondering your opinions on what would be the be the best combo ? - I.E. leave all the training aids on and put on a different propeller to increase the power/weight/drag ratio - or leave it as is and maybe remove the speed brakes ??

What advice can you guys give me about this ?

oh one last thing - if I were to switch the prop what would be the best choice for a three blader ? (I just love the look of three blade when the model is static)

Kevin
Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 AM
stallwart

Leave everything as is--just remove the airbrakes--but have an instructor maiden and trim the plane. Definitely use the buddy box until you're comfortable and you'll be off to the best start--IMO.

I was not impressed with the MA 10x7 3-blade I tried, plus I had to trim the spinner to install it. Kahlog left a link to a site that offers a 4-blade that might be good for display, but I have no info on performance.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:14 AM
rccrippen

Go to " masportaviator.com" It has a long article on the PTS including a chart at the end
of the article that shows the speed of the plane in all sorts of configurations. Flaps, no flaps'
3 blade' 2 blade, etc. It's very interesting!

G-pete' look at the speeds with the 2 blade APC with no training aids! Now imagine what speeds
we're hitting with our motor's! Note There "note"

Welcome Av8r Guy! Rotech's from Canada also! His also fairly knew to the sport and already
knows quit a bit. I don't know how close you all are to each other, but he could help you alot.
There's alot of good people on this thread, I live fairly close to this Crazy Nut you know as G-Pete!
and plan on getting together with him soon. You will love this Hobby! you can grow as much as you
want!
Just saw Stallwart's post.... Good advice!

RICK

PS The chart is on Page 5
Old 02-18-2006, 12:30 PM
KWJ48

Thanks G-Pete and foofinator for the replies. The plug is new ( I have tried several of the H-9 plugs),so shouldn't be the problem. The fuel lines are correct, I'm wondering if the tank is sitting in the plane correctly? I removed it to fuel proof the fire wall. Should the exhaust pressure tube be on top and the pick-up be on the bottem? This is the way I have it now. For me (being an auto mechanic) it seems like an excess amount of fuel out the exhaust and a puff of smoke when trying to WOT. It shuts of at about half throttle, bogging a little like it's choking on fuel. What is the shelf life of fuel ? I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months in a cold garage. It also has been opened, but with the top on it.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Nightmair

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

Thanks G-Pete and foofinator for the replies. The plug is new ( I have tried several of the H-9 plugs),so shouldn't be the problem. The fuel lines are correct, I'm wondering if the tank is sitting in the plane correctly? I removed it to fuel proof the fire wall. Should the exhaust pressure tube be on top and the pick-up be on the bottem? This is the way I have it now. For me (being an auto mechanic) it seems like an excess amount of fuel out the exhaust and a puff of smoke when trying to WOT. It shuts of at about half throttle, bogging a little like it's choking on fuel. What is the shelf life of fuel ? I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months in a cold garage. It also has been opened, but with the top on it.
The plug has to be the stock H9 plug..it is a olong 4 stroke plug...but your problem is your low speed idle screw is running too rich. The screw may be loose like mine was and you'll never get a stable flight. I have an OS 46 AX in mine now....set the low idle screw and you're done. I am NOT a fan of the Evo engines...
Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
foofinator

Ah, you removed the tank. Well, when I built my first ARF, I forgot to account for the fact that the plane is upside down when you install the tank. Are you sure that the vent tube is pointing towards the topside of the plane? (The bottom when it is turned upside down?). Basically, the vent tube (the kinked one) needs to be pointing in the opposite direction of gravity. This gave me ALOT of problems. [:'(] Just passing some experience.

Also, hold the plane vertically and shake it to make sure the clunk isn't stuck in the corner of the tank, you should hear it rattle.

About the plug, it doesn't have to be the long one, I run OS#8's in mine. If it is bogging then slowly screw the highspeed needle in, if the lowspeed is within the limiter, then it is probably ok.

But make sure it IS bogging and not cutting out, I have a hard time making that distinction.

You should get it running and try to run it up. When it starts to bog or cut, throttle back and make an adjustment, then repeat the procedure until you can hit full throttle. That usually works pretty well for me, and I can tell if I'm making progress or not.

In addition I'd buy some new fuel just to be safe, try some 15%!

Keep us posted.

Oh, and Evo engines are wonderful and make alot of power, once you get it sorted out you'll love it. [:@]
Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 PM
KWJ48

Yes, I'm positive the red line and exhaust line going into the tank are on top and the clunk is loose. [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN3006]This[/link] is the plug I'm useing. The low idle speed screw is kinda loose. I'm gonna start with some fresh fuel, take all the great suggestions and start over.

Oh yeah, I was useing 15% nitro Byron fuel
Old 02-18-2006, 08:47 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: rccrippen

Go to " masportaviator.com" It has a long article on the PTS including a chart at the end
of the article that shows the speed of the plane in all sorts of configurations. Flaps, no flaps'
3 blade' 2 blade, etc. It's very interesting!

G-pete' look at the speeds with the 2 blade APC with no training aids! Now imagine what speeds
we're hitting with our motor's! Note There "note"

Welcome Av8r Guy! Rotech's from Canada also! His also fairly knew to the sport and already
knows quit a bit. I don't know how close you all are to each other, but he could help you alot.
There's alot of good people on this thread, I live fairly close to this Crazy Nut you know as G-Pete!
and plan on getting together with him soon. You will love this Hobby! you can grow as much as you
want!
Just saw Stallwart's post.... Good advice!

RICK

PS The chart is on Page 5
Rick
Thanks for the comment! I wish we could be flying NOW but too cold! Actually "Av8r Guy" is about 346.5 miles west.
And I think It's cold ou there too!

roltech
Old 02-18-2006, 08:51 PM
patzane

changed the stock blade with a 11x6. Man does that make a difference on how this baby flys. I love this things and the speed. I just started in early Dec 2005 and having a blast. My instructor say i should be solo sometime next month. I need to polish them landings before he cut me lose. Today my landings were excellent. Need a few more week of practice
Old 02-18-2006, 09:45 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Av8r Guy

oh one last thing - if I were to switch the prop what would be the best choice for a three blader ? (I just love the look of three blade when the model is static)

Kevin
Ok, for a 3 blade, I use an 11 x 7 Master Airscrew. I am also using a TruTurn aluminum 2 3/4" P-51 style spinner.
Here is pic:
Old 02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
jfanning05

Does anybody know the maximum heat you want from a heat gun to keep from melting the ultracote.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
kahloq

No, but you can test it on a spare piece to see.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
roltech

ORIGINAL: jfanning05

Does anybody know the maximum heat you want from a heat gun to keep from melting the ultracote.
It's more a matter of how far to keep the gun distance from the work, if it start to melt "your to close" also don't leave it on one spot, move it back a forth till you see the results you trying to get. other wise I don't know if anyone know just how much heat needed? you learn by doing, and by mistakes. There may be others that can add to this question?

roltech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.