Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Av8r Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Hey Everyone, I'm a little concerned to remove my engine to fuel proof the firewall. Can anyone explain to this novice rookie how to best go about it so that the engine goes back in properly and is aligned correctly - I'm worried I might put it out of alignment or throw the centerline thrust out of whack and not get it back in square ???

Or am I being to overcautious....

Kevin
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 PM
roltech

(I had to mount the motor right back as far as it will go on the mount and it was right on, worked for me.)

Like I said when I removed the motor I carefully checked where is was exactly mounted, it sits as far back touching the plate bolts ( toward the firewall) I remember the first time I took it apart and did not pay attention and I had to try and retry till I got it in the proper position, when I put back the cowl it was just perfect. So if it worked for me it should work for you.

roltech
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 PM
jfanning05

av8r guy:
After you get the cowl off, just make sure to mark where the engine is so that you can get it back in the same spot and you should be fine.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:29 PM
speedpro 1

guns
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15470.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	412508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90175.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	412509  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 PM
stallwart

To remove the engine, loosen and remove the fore engine mount screws but only loosen the rear screws a little. To replace, do the reverse, but before final tightening, replace the cowl (I put a couple of the screws part of the way in on each side of the cowl) and make certain the flywheel, or thrust washer (if using that instead) is centered in the cowl's prop shaft opening. If it is centered, slide on spinner backplate and check for clearance (somewhere just under 1/8 inch seemed good to me). I adjusted mine with a slight thrust line to the right (starboard) and a slight downward angle. The engine mount's configuration makes this easy. Looking at the space between backplate and cowl from above and the side should give you what you need.
When satisfied, carefully remove backplate, flywheel and then cowl. Tighten engine mount bolts without letting engine shift and you are ready to put the rest back on the plane. Hopefully, you remembered to loc-tite the motor mount bolts to the blind nuts in the firewall.
Lol, I didn't. I had to repeat the above.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 AM
WiredMike

Thanks Rick. Ill tear back into the engine and muffler tonight after work.
This is the reason I havent even bought fuel yet. I knew if I could start it I would be in a hurry to get finished.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:38 AM
rccrippen

Told you, you would get alot of good advice on this thread! I think I used a square to mark
were the front of the engine was in relation to the firewall? As you see there's sevaral ways to
do it. DON"T forget to reinforce your servo mounts on the ailerons!!

RICK
Old 02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
lanny2003

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

OK guys I have a question for ya about the evo engine. I haven't had a chance to maiden my plane yet, but when I run the engine I can't get it to full throttle no matter what the needle settings. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem. I would adjust the low idle mixture to transition from low rpm to high. Run it up to high rpm adjust the high speed mixture bring it back down to idle. Try to go to high speed again and it would die.

Found that the opening next to the low speed adjustment was hitting the little arm and re-adjusting it. Took a knife trimmed the opening and made my adjustments. 20+ flights and have not touched the mixtures. Prime it with about 6 turns 3 flips and off it goes. Gota love the Evo.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Av8r Guy

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Ok, for a 3 blade, I use an 11 x 7 Master Airscrew. I am also using a TruTurn aluminum 2 3/4" P-51 style spinner.
Here is pic:
Kahloq;

I went and checked out the Tru Turn spinners on the site - price is up there but not to bad, I might have to go for the anodized red !

When I look at the shapes on Tru Turns page the P51 spinner looks allot blunter in the nose then the one on your pic - not to doubt you, but you're sure yours is the P51 style ? - I want one just like yours as I don't care for the really rounded blunt spinners. (maybe the picture on the site is wrong ??)

I'll wait to hear from you before I order

Kevin
Yes, quite sure it is the P-51 3 blade spinner I got.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Av8r Guy

ORIGINAL: Av8r Guy

Ok, for a 3 blade, I use an 11 x 7 Master Airscrew. I am also using a TruTurn aluminum 2 3/4" P-51 style spinner.
Here is pic:
Kahloq;

I went and checked out the Tru Turn spinners on the site - price is up there but not to bad, I might have to go for the anodized red !

When I look at the shapes on Tru Turns page the P51 spinner looks allot blunter in the nose then the one on your pic - not to doubt you, but you're sure yours is the P51 style ? - I want one just like yours as I don't care for the really rounded blunt spinners. (maybe the picture on the site is wrong ??)

I'll wait to hear from you before I order

Kevin
Yes, quite sure it is the P-51 3 blade spinner I got.

Called Tru Turn today - it's on the way in anodized red !! - Although they said it might take three weeks to get here [sm=crying.gif]

I'll post some pics when it gets here....

Kevin

Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Av8r Guy

Tons of great advice !

I've been making notes of all the helpful and insightful comments and instructions the members have been providing. This has been a tremendous help and a great tool for learning. It has definitley made my venture into R/C more rewarding and enjoyable.

Thanks all,

Kevin
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
roltech

If you want to check all what you should work and check for you can start on page 24 to this page. link below. There lots of info I still go back one and a while to recheck what was posted.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...24/key_/tm.htm

roltech
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
G-Pete

Yesterday I got a e-mail from a new member and he asked some interesting questions.

Quote:” that i always wanted to have a gas rc plane and i bought the p-51 mustang pts . i have never flown a rc gas or any other type of plane what so ever.i play the simulator they gave me and also tried the real flight g3 . for the first time using the simulator the owner from rc world told me i did very well . i would assume that the simulator doesnt come close to real flying .i read alot of articles in this forum and see there could be many small problems that could arise while owning one of these rc planes. would you recommend taking any one of the three beginner items that came attached already to the plane off. i hear take the air brakes off or turn them . also for a beginer is this plane hard to land and fly. could someone actually fly one without an instructor or is it a little harder than that to do it alone. thanks, hope to “

Simulator, I have the G3 too and I say it is very close to the reality and gives you a good tool to practice…this is the word practice. To “learn” to fly on the simulator and go out and try it would be dangerous for you, others and your self.
Let me explain why, first is there the emotional barrier – even for advance pilots is the a maiden flight always with a lot of adrenalin coupled. A novice is nervous and have a adrenalin rush – a iffy combo. Just imagine you have a good take off and take the first bank and your motor dies in the bank. At this time you have a 5-10mph wind, I know exactly what you would do pull up and try to keep her in the air, even try another turn. There the instructor “kicks” in and take over – he will push the elevator down to gain more speed and keep the angle of attack…
Read here
http://www.insideracingtechnology.co...anglattack.htm
…as small a possible because you need the speed for the landing.
Landing,
This is the last part which you learn, if you try it by your self you learn the hart part first and this can be very hard on your plane. I’m not saying you need the instructor for long, just for the basics and you can take off fly a pattern, place the plane where you want (you fly the plane and not the plane flies you) and do a safe landing.
This is my highly recommendation.

Quote: “. its just like i said i read the other articles and there were people that said take this off or take that off glue this and that check this also. you see were i'm going . i just wanted a word from someone thats been through it. and someone that could help a beginner like myself

Common sense, I like to apply here. Take the gear of – of coarse, but with progression on your skills. The common mistake of novices is to step up to fast without experience. Keep a log and you will see in a month time how little you fly. I had the luck my instructor was between jobs and I work only to 3pm. 15 min to the field and I had every day 6 to 8 flights. Cold or not, windy or not within 5 weeks I got my wings – my log counted 100 flights. For windy days over 10mph I had my Ultra Stick – which I buried 6 inches into the ground in-a-out-a-tight-loop-hard-turn-10-feet-above-ground-…………and moved in the wrong direction. No time to recover – beginners fault. The over confidents cost me a plane. I tried this stunt way out in the field so nobody was harmed or where even near.

Another reason for an instructor is, the routine – the routine, preflight check, weather awareness and all the stuff around be a pilot. Plus he is your spotter; he watches the whole area around you, so you can concentrate on your plane and nothing else. Believe me you will have a “tunnel vision”.

Quote: “where i live there are two hobby shops in my area . one of them swears by the os engine over the evo engine . is the os engine much better then the evo engine . or is the evo engine a good one ?”

Here we go, is the Ford or the Chevy a better truck…? The EVO works fine for me, you just have to get rid of this “low speed collar”, I removed again one on Monday at the field. This thing moves around and you can’t keep it constant. When you take it off everything is fine. Sometimes the end piece on the muffler turns, a little high heat silicone take care of this.
The EVO Alpha 0.45 has his reason, like the three blade propeller and the fly wheel. This is all a part of the Trainer (!) which you purchased. Small steps bring you up to a nice fast flying sports plane.
I hope I could help you out and I appreciate your permission to quote and answer here.

Finally here are some wise words from Scott Rambo…
The three rules of RC flying
1. Altitude is your friend. Two to three mistakes high is recommended for all new flyers.
2. A compound rule.
Should you select (a) then (b) must follow
a. Takeoffs are optional.
b. Landings are mandatory!
3. Regardless of age, experience, quality of equipment or skill level ... at some point in time you WILL crash your plane

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
G-Pete

This is now the final retracts, no more doors – they looked good but the bird flies better w/h them.
The take off’s and ladings are flawless, the only down is – at the renegade field I can’t take off because of the dirt. She will nose over, so I have to take off on the street – luckily there is no traffic.
At my “home field” there is a 300 feet runway and it is a great thing to do touch downs. I really hope I can get a video on Sunday, the weather forecast predicts sun for this day.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Nightmair

That's some beautiful work on those retracts G-Pete! On dirt what happens if you taxi with elevator held up? Does it still tip over then?

Also I have a tip you might be able to use...I love your idea of the teeth on the plane...If I were to re-create that on mine, I would use my monokote self-adhesive trim sheets, and cut the teeth as triangles. It is very hard to get clean lines when painting a compound shape like the fuse. You did nice work, considering the challenge level!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
KWJ48

Just to fill yall in, new fuel did not fix my problem. [&o] I ordered some O.S #8 glows. Hope fully this will do the trick. [&:]
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
afjrotc
My Feedback: (1)

I had one, notice HAD. It was a great trainer. With the flaps locked down it flew slower and made landings easy with a little throttle. Once the flaps were raised it flew faster and you could land without flaps and less throttle. My instructor was very skeptical at first but after several flights found it to be a really good trainer for those who wanted to move up to larger warbirds. Now for the bad news. Once the flaps are conneted to a servo (and the instructons don't tell you this) you have to rebalance it and make sure the flaps are correctly adjusted. It is a fast airplane and takes several flights to master. The radio is a 2 model which makes it great if you have another airplane. I would like to get another but I only need the plane.

Still training!!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
WiredMike

Got to spend some more time modding tonight. Did some more fuel proofing and "beefed up" the servo's in the wing. Thought you guys would get a kick out of the pics I am going to post.
I started out drilling the holes with a little hobby drill, the kind you twist by hand. Well after about 45 seconds I said screw this and went and got my cordless. Now I wouldnt recomend this method to anyone, but I have been a toolmaker for 18 years and I have a fairly steady hand. So I chucked the bit up the exact length I needed and after verifying the servos screw wouldnt be in the way. I gave her hell!!!
I put some #4x 1/2 screws in the balsa holding the servo in place and then ran some more CA around the blocks. I dont think its going anywhere.

On a side note. I cannot tell you guys how much fun I have had building this plane. Keep in mind this is my very first model. I have never even cut a piece of balsa in my life. And I had fun even doing that when I was beefing up my fuselage.
There is so much to learn and I love it. (like the fact that CA glue dries really really really fast and epoxy takes forever

Well I will quit babbling for now and show the pics, sorry for the quality on the second one. The wife is the photographer in the family and I should have let her take it.

Finished product

P.S. Yes I vacumed up all the wood dust when finished
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 PM
roltech

Rick trying to post some pictures as mentioned What is the name of this bi plane.

roltech
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42626.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	413754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80430.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	413755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50894.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	413756  
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Av8r Guy

ORIGINAL: WiredMike

Got to spend some more time modding tonight. Did some more fuel proofing and "beefed up" the servo's in the wing. Thought you guys would get a kick out of the pics I am going to post.
I started out drilling the holes with a little hobby drill, the kind you twist by hand. Well after about 45 seconds I said screw this and went and got my cordless.

Looks like WiredMike is Tim the Toolman - MORE POWER !! - lol, Awesome job Mike !!! [&:]

Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Katman

Howdy Mustangers,

i'm really excited to have found this forum about a wk ago - and thanks to those with all the awesome tips! What a funny bunch of guys, and we all love the same bird don't we?! It took awhile to read all the posts, but glad to now be "in the loop"....

As for me, i am basically brand new to the hobby. At least i wasn't officially a part, until i took the plunge early Dec and got my first plane - the Mustang PTS! A new friend introduced me to the hobby in late spring last year, and i did lots of watching and learning(and occasional buddying) until then. I did catch hell of course for having no plane, but forever grateful for being intro'd to the hobby. I have been fascinated with planes since a kid, but always thought it an expensive hobby to get in or i'd of started as a teenager 20 yrs ago! On a sidenote, i'm in the flight path of a bombing range about 15 miles from here for fighter planes out of J'ville. But, since the war broke out...no more. That is, until last wk i run outside thinking i must be hearing things to see - GET THIS - a pair of F-15 Eagles chasing and dogfighting after a pair of F/A-18 Hornets an entire circle(maybe a half mile) around me!!!!! Awesome - talk about something to make you want to take your plane up that day! What i'da given for a video cam in hand....

Trying to get up to speed here so bear with me for being longwinded....
Here's one HUGE contribution for you guys(a first i think) - a doublecheck!!!!! Like we need one more right? [:@] MAKE SURE your firewall is properly secured to the fuselage!!!!!!! We were about to take mine up for flight #3 in mid-Dec, and i noticed slight play up/dwn on the spinner. Well, we took the cowl off and the upper half of the firewall was undone from the plane fuselage(and i mean half - sides and top). My friends helped on the repair, but to think my plane (and all the bugs i worked out)could have been destroyed because of sorry craftmanship(yeah i know, this is alot of plane for the $) I just don't get the logic of not doing things right, when its no more trouble than doing it wrong? Makes you wonder what else they forgot? I definitely still love my Mustang, but will be happy to share other failure stories(like a wheel) along the way.....
Anyway for the good news - by my 10th buddy flight wknd in mid-January, with a push from my instructor, a couple Icehouses, and myself(he says flying seems natural for me)[>:] i did 2 takeoff/landings on my own BACK TO BACK on the same day. A VERY smooth first landing too, after a squirrely takeoff. I was OK'd to go solo then, and flown at least 15 more in huge pasture across the rd from me without any major problems except bulls_ _ _(another story!) But, the weird thing is i don't feel i've progressed much other than not getting as anxious "on my own". I still don't feel i'm ready to take off those dragging droops. What's weird is, the field where i learned - it had several nearby trees that i hated. I realize now they were valuable as waypoints for altitude and distance to set up for landing. The field i've been practicing in since, it's completely open and HUGE. I still remember first flight, the openess scared me so much i came right back in with a bouncy landing. Ha!
Maybe making a definite flight plan(assignment) before of what i'm to do would help? Any ideas? Flying any more lessons with my instructor (practically since getting the OK to solo) has been a problem, since they only fly Sundays and here in Florida lately seems like once a mth is it not too windy to fly....
Enough for now.....great to have others with a passion for the Mustang pts!

Mark
Old 02-23-2006, 03:14 AM
foofinator

Haha, im kinda glad about the noseovers pete.. now I wont be the only one who gets crap for taking off in the street! That field is just too rough. [&:]
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 AM
rccrippen

Roltech;
You got me on this one? in the first pic it sorta looks like a little Ultamate.
Then when I see the others the tail feathers are very unique, either way
for that plane AND the OS .61 you got a hell of a deal Have you flown
a bipe before? they are a little different.

The temps down ,but so are the winds! Think I might have to use a half days
Vacation and go Fire up the OS again!!!

Wired "Toolman" Mike.... I Like It, Now you know your "callname",And now you
can thank Av8RGuy

RICK
Old 02-23-2006, 04:58 AM
rccrippen

Foof and Pete,
I've GOT to take a drive East and see Ya"ll do this "street" Thing!

RICK
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
WiredMike

Katman,
Thanks for the heads up. Another thing to add to the list. There was another post long ways back that someone lost the plane due to a firewall failure,but if I remember correctly it was attributed to the muffler coming loose and hitting the prop.

I have been reading another thread here on the Universe about my next plane, (around christmas I hope) about the Hangar 9 Corsair. It has many reports of bad firewalls. One user even had his come off on him when he just fired up the Saito 100 and it came at him.
Makes me wonder if this isnt an issue that Hangar 9 has yet to clamp down on in the QC department.
To be honest, I feel sorry for people who buy these planes and dont take the time to research on how to properly build one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.