Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM
1080tommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

I agree that anyone who buys the plane should look the whole thing over. I was lucky and only had to do a few of the suggested mods. The biggest one being the landing gear blocks. However, my kit was for the most part built very good. The servos were all centered perfectly and I still have not had to do much in the way of tuning. The plane runs great and needed very little modification. I learned from doing the corsair from hangar 9 that one should definitely go over the airframe to make sure the plane will be airworthy when finished and anything that looks like it should be beefed up should be modified.

Tom
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 AM
lrtx1

Hey guys,

It looks like this might be the right place to ask this question. Let's start by saying that I have a few months on a high wing trainer. I purchased the P51 PTS, removed all the training aids and, set up pretty much normal to the specs. I love the way the plane flies but, the ground handling is a BEAR.

The plane has the typical pull to the left, but thats not the problem. while taxing i try to feed a little rudder in to overcome the pull and it darts that direction. If I manage to keep that from happening, it is just a matter of seconds before it snaps back left. Virtually immpossible to keep it straight. Once it starts turning a bit, a small bit, it just snaps 90 degrees or more in either direction it was heading..FAST. I originally thought is was my lack of tail dragging experience. I had others try it with a lot of experience and with same results.

Here is what I have done or what I know. I replaced the tail wheel with a 1 1/2" sullivan. Problem didn't change. I measured the toe. Toed in by a 1/4", 14 1/2" at the rear of the mains and 14 1/4" at the front of the mains. The rudder movement is about a 1/2" each way. I have tried increasing and decrease throw with very little change to the handling. Everything looks straight, nothing obvious to me.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, because I really like the plane and how it flies when I manage to get her up in the air. I hope this may be something simple. I have tried to read through the 90+ pages here but thats a lot of reading....lol

Layne
Old 07-15-2006, 01:56 PM
opjose

There are several factors which come into play...

Prop wash, gyroscopic precession (that flywheel is adding to the problems!), torque rolling the plane initially so that most of the weight is on the left wheel, etc.

You could try mechanical means to fix this, but there is a simple way to get around this...

Either or both work....

1 - On an asphalt field, go to full throttle immediately from a standing start. This gives the tail more authority and stabilizes the plane as it begins to move, Remember to also give it up elevator so it doesn't nose over with the added burst of power... and to keep it on the runway for control.

2 - Take off from grass.

A grass takeoff, causes you to go to full or almost full throttle right away as per above. The tail wheel tends to drag a bit, adding stability. Also apply up elevator.

I've have had experienced instructors try to fly my plane and the take off gets them every time.
I've told them to gun the engine, but their instincts have been counter productive, so they usually do not... and assume that the P51 is hard to take off. It's not, you merely need a different technique.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:01 PM
opjose

A warning!

Danger Will Robinson!
--------------------------

I received my second PTS P-51 directly from Horizon the other day. This time I purchased an ARF plane instead of the RTF.

Yesterday I was going to start working on the plane.

I was inspecting the fuselage, which was still sealed in it's plastic bag, under a bright florescent light.

Then I notice that it was infested with little critters.

These may have been lice, mites or termites in their smallest states. Slightly larger than grains of sand.

The bag was fully sealed with no holes or other penetrations.

It is likely that the wood stock used when the plane was built was itself infested, and no sort of bug control applied during it's storage or handling. This stands to reason give that it comes from China I believe.

In turn this means that you should carefully inspect yours.

If you see anything moving, contract Horizon.

It is highly likely that mine is not the only plane so afflicted.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:29 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

AND THAT BEING SAID, THE BIRD FLU SHOULD UPON US ANY DAY NOW !!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:30 PM
1080tommy

Hey lrtx1,

This is the way that I have been taking off and taxiing, and it has worked ot pretty good. I fly off both asphalt and grass and it works on both. First, let me say that if you are on asphalt, especially on take off, the plane is a little squirrely although my Corsair is the same way. When taxiing, Hold full up elevator and try to be smooth on the throttle. When I get to the end of the runway and throttle up I do it slowly and feed right rudder as the power comes up at about 1/4 throttle I go to full abruptly and wait for the airspeed to come up. Feeding the power in smoothly seems to work good for me. The only time I had problems was the first time I took off. Now I take off in almost a straight line and smooth every time. I still have my flywheel on but I have heard removing that helps make the plane a little more stable on the ground. Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: olstoney

AND THAT BEING SAID, THE BIRD FLU SHOULD UPON US ANY DAY NOW !!

I had the same thought about this and other diseases prevelant in China.

Depressing isn't it.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:00 PM
lrtx1

Thanks guys,

I am pretty much doing, or have tried the suggestions. Although, the flywheel will be removed and i'll give her another try.

I also should have stated that I fly off of a paved runway. Also, the same darting characteristics come into play while landing. Normally upon landing, it will dart left or right in about ten to twenty feet from intial touchdown. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier if it changes anybodys thoughts.

Your help so far is appriciated.

Layne
Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason the PTS is so aggresive on take off's (veering left) is alot due to the weight. I've flown a couple other mustangs now (.60) and although they do still have the same tendancies to veer left it is not as bad. Even flight characterists between the .40 and .60 size is different, the larger sizes don't get thrown around near as much as the smaller planes do with light to moderate winds. I think the extra weight helps them on take offs as well as in flight. I'm actually in the process of building a FourStar .60 as the .40 we had was very light and twitchy in the air, the .60 should be a great flying plane.

All the newer people need to remember that this isn't just an RC plane characteristic either, full size P-51's weren't the easiest to take off either. I actually have'nt flown a plane yet that doesn't do it. Just keep practicing and before you know it you won't even be thinking about rudder control, it will become second nature..

Good Luck Shane
Old 07-15-2006, 07:29 PM
1080tommy

Since you do fly off pavement these veering tendancies are amplified bigtime. My first takeoff was from a 50x800 foot paved runway and the pane really wanted to go all over the place. After feeling how much rudder to feed in as power increases, the takeoffs became smoother and smoother. I can liken the takeoff to driving a car with stick. The more power she gets the more you need to feed the right rudder. This is of course until the plane gets moving fast enough to rotate. At this time I center the rudder so the take off is nice and straight and the plane is not leaning one way or the other. When I took off the first time off a grass field, it was no problem. One time right down the centerline of the runway. The grass stabilizes the plane and cuts on the veering tendancy. A good instructor told me that taking off of pavement is actually harder then grass and the plane must be guided much more then off of grass. Keep at it and the takeoff rollout will become second nature.

Tom
Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
1080tommy

Today I had three flights and experienced my first problem with the PTS. It was actually my fault, but it is something to look out for anyway. On my last landing, the plane was sputtering and this was wierd because it had been running so good. Upon landing and inspecting the cowl, I noticed the pieces that hold the carb in were in the bottm of the cowl with the screw. I have not checked this area for about 15 flights so if you have not checked these bolts, do so. If they are loose the carb will move a little and the throttle cut won't work because the extra air. Other then that three more good flights. It is also a very easy fix, took about 20 mins or so and we were flight ready again.

Tom
Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
opjose

Which re-affirms the need to check your plane throughly after (or before) every day at the field.

Hmmm... Time to recheck my Carb screws....

Old 07-16-2006, 05:55 PM
1080tommy

You can say that again. I think that ARF's for the price and quickess of getting airborn are great, but they are not built 100% perfect. So check, check, and recheck. I should take my own advice. I will now check the engine area after every flight. Also, for anybody just getting into flying, make sure you go over the plane before you take it up. This means removing the aileron hatches, checking the gear, all attachment screws, and the firewall area to name a few. It's worth the extra time spent so you do not hit the deck on the first or second flight.

Tom
Old 07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
afineman

Greeting All

Since my last post I did some data gathering and Got the maiden in today, but first to recap the power system, Typhoon 29/18/10, 60 Amp TowerPro Non BEC ESC, 5 amp UBEC, 6 (series) A123 Systems new Li-Ion batteries, and spinning a 11 X 5.5 OOHH and AUW comes in around 5.5 pounds.

The data below was with the motor spinning a 12 X 5.5, not the 11 X 5.5 I flew with today, A WattsUp meter was used and a Hanger 9 proptach was used as well, all bought just for this test. I stopped at 500 watts because I was testing with a 6S Li-Po pack and was getting close to it's 15C rating ( Thunder Power 2,100s)

@100 Watts the rpm was 6200, thrust calculates in at 2.4 pounds and pitch speed is 32.3 Mph
@200 Watts the rpm was 8000, thrust calculates in at 3.9 pounds and pitch speed is 41.6 Mph
@300 Watts the rpm was 9300, thrust calculates in at 5.3 pounds and pitch speed is 48.4 Mph
@400 Watts the rpm was 9900, thrust calculates in at 6.1 pounds and pitch speed is 51.5 Mph
@500 Watts the rpm was 10800, thrust calculates in at 7.2 pounds and pitch speed is 56.2 Mph

As I said I prop-ed down for today's flight, I was too nervous to enjoy it, the second flight I was fine.

Here is the maiden http://media.putfile.com/maiden-P51

Sorry my brother should use the zoom a little more but you get the idea.

Hope you enjoy

Brent
Old 07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Well my PTS is no more...[] But it was a very spectacular crash and we caught it on video. Enjoy

[link]http://www.colorado-rc.com/rcu/PTS.mpg[/link] "VIDEO"

Nothing wrong with the plane, just bad depth perception, lol

Shane
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
stallwart

Sorry about the loss of your PTS. You're right, there's nothing wrong with the plane. Generally, it is well made and it is definitely a good design.
I have given my first PTS (250 or more flights) to a friend, which brings me to my next question. Could you post the link to your installation of retracts to your plane again? My pal is considering installing retracts in his new/my old P-51. Thanks. And thanks for the video................ouch!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:03 PM
BCarter

Hey Guys I have two questions.

1. I purchased a new JR 1100 mAh battery pack and today cycled it on the Acu-cycle. The battery was completely dead out of the package and I charged it for 15 hours on the 125 mah setting. I then did the discharge and recharge to cycle it again and get a read out on the battery. It said that it only had 1000 mha, does anyone have any comments on this? I was expecting 1100 or close to it. I'll cycle it again to see what it comes up with the next time.

2. Have you guys ever notice that the clunk in the tank doesn't flex enough in the down position? It basically just sticks up, therefore when the plane is in the down position, it runs out of gas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: BCarter

1. I purchased a new JR 1100 mAh battery pack and today cycled it on the Acu-cycle. The battery was completely dead out of the package and I charged it for 15 hours on the 125 mah setting. I then did the discharge and recharge to cycle it again and get a read out on the battery. It said that it only had 1000 mha, does anyone have any comments on this? I was expecting 1100 or close to it. I'll cycle it again to see what it comes up with the next time.

2. Have you guys ever notice that the clunk in the tank doesn't flex enough in the down position? It basically just sticks up, therefore when the plane is in the down position, it runs out of gas. Anyone have any suggestions?

You might wait an hour or so after recharging to let the battery temperature settle before checking it.

On the clunk, I don't understand the "down" position.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Change the line on the clunk, it will be easier in the long run and you won't have to mess with it again.

As far as the battery goes, what mah did you charge it at? also just in case you didn't know, on Ni-cad batteries it's always good to discharge them all the way to 1.1v/c then charge them before you go out on a low setting. About 5%of the Mah so about 50mah. NiMh batteries leave a slight charge in them between uses.

Shane
Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 AM
cwalke32477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramones The

I think this is a great thread, In fact, I'll post a meaningless picture of my PTS even though it is identical to everyone else's.

No mine looks better than yours has one less wrinkle

roltech
mine has no wrinkles (of course it involved extensive use of heat gun, iron, and trim iron)
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 AM
cwalke32477

Your first glow plane was a P51 PTS…and you stepped up to a corsair…be my guest…hahaha. The corsair is the most difficult war bird to fly – more difficult with a 1:2 gear ratio engine. This thing snaps like a …I don’t use this word, hehehe.

With a ½ inch under the prop you have to be a master pilot to get a corsair 0.40 with a 16 inch prop in the air and land without a cartwheel.
Actually, i find my corsair quite pleasing and easy to fly. oh yeah it's a 23%
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Ramones The

ORIGINAL: cwalke32477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramones The

I think this is a great thread, In fact, I'll post a meaningless picture of my PTS even though it is identical to everyone else's.

No mine looks better than yours has one less wrinkle

roltech
mine has no wrinkles (of course it involved extensive use of heat gun, iron, and trim iron)

You sir, are a cheater.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
mcarlson11

What is the correct sequence to getting the trainer cord to work, using it with a futaba controler. We tried 3 different radios at the field and none of them would work.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
BCarter

My friends Futaba worked. We used his round connector and my radio. We did find that I had to use his radio as the "trainer". Therefore the crystal etc was in mine. Power must be on for both radios. Also, we found that his round connect was faulty in that you have to jiggle the cord and actually apply a bit of pressure to get it to work (his is a fairly used radio).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 PM
BCarter

ORIGINAL: stallwart

ORIGINAL: BCarter

You might wait an hour or so after recharging to let the battery temperature settle before checking it.

On the clunk, I don't understand the "down" position.

thanks for the reply: I will let the batttery cool down next time.

In reference to the clunk. Basically I had the tank out of the airplane, and I was holding the tank vertical with the outlet down. The clunk should in a perfect set up "fall" to the bottom of the tank. However, the supplied fuel line that is currently in the tank doesn't have enough flex to do this, as a result, the clunk remains more or less at the top of the tank. If the tank fuel level is below where it sits, obviously no gas will get to it and it stalls. I just want to know if I'm expecting to much or this is just a fact of life for the set up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.