Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Miss America GS

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Miss America GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 12:01 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default World Models Miss America GS

Does anyone have the this model? The Giant Scale version. It was suggested to me, and recommended putting a 1.60 on it.

If you have one, would love to hear about, especially if anyone is using a gasser on it
Old 01-06-2002, 01:31 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World P-51 GS

They are of the best quality! I have a friend who has one and it is a very well built ARF and has great flying characteristics. Superb covering and design. The glass cowl is as nice as paint can be applied. Retracts are already installed. His has a Moki 1.8 but is too much for it. The O.S. 1.60 would be a better choice. Hardware is good also, none of that cheap stuff to replace. He has bought 4 more glow versions and given them to his friends. Nice guy, huh? I was given the red and white version ARF kit yesterday and it is awesome also. I just about have it complete. You can't go wrong for the $ with the World Arfs. I am so impressed with them I am looking into more for this kind of $.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:16 AM
magnum

Thanks Chook,

I have had several of the WM ARF's. They are good. I really don't want an ARF, but don't want to wait to build one.

I was wondering if a Saito 1.80 was to much, but from what I am hearing the 1.60 is plenty of power.

So, you think your freind will ship me one?

I think I sold my Ultra stick today, so I may have the rest of the money to get the kit in. Good to hear it has good hardware, I really to hate some of the cheap stuff they have on their other kits, I have always replaced it.

You mention the red and white ARF? I understood they only made this one in the Miss America scheme. Is there another version? I know they are scheduled to release a P51 warbird, but it's not out yet, I don't think.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:39 AM
CaptainHook

Default P-51

The red and white is the smaller version (57.5"), not the Dago Red. It is of great quality. The Saito 1.80 will be plenty of power for the GS version. As far as shipping a model from my friend, I will work on that for you, hee! I have been building for him for years now and the rewards have paid off. Need something built, let me know. Just framed and sanded a Ziroli P-61 for Jeff Q. of Minn. Don Smith B-29 next.

Carey Hook
Old 01-06-2002, 06:45 AM
magnum

Ahhhh, that makes sense!

Ok thanks, the local HS has the smaller version in stock. It looks nice.

Thanks for the info!

Randy
Old 01-06-2002, 01:51 PM
quarterhrses
Banned

Default Dago Red

I am getting ready to order the Dago Red version. Does anyone have any opinions on this version and maybe a pic or two. Also is there any modifications that need to be made to the plane and how does it fly? Whew! so many questions
Old 01-06-2002, 03:16 PM
magnum

The local HS had one. I opened it up and looked at it. Everything looked good. I had a OS 91 laying around I wanted to put in it

The only complaint I had, was the color looked more purple than red. It may have just been the one in the shop. But it was enough to keep me from getting it.

It was gone later

Randy
Old 01-06-2002, 03:39 PM
quarterhrses
Banned

Default Purple?

Oh no! I hope mine does't arrive purple. That sorda defeats the whole RED in Dago Red huh? Anyone else have any good or bad experiences with this plane?
Old 01-07-2002, 02:01 AM
CaptainHook

Default Dago Red

I hope it's not purple, it will most likely be red. All the photos i've seen are that way. Don't worry QH, you will be happy with it.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:18 PM
wekenav8r
My Feedback: (37)

Default Dago Red

It's the bottom of the Dago Red that looks purple. Great plane, WM ARF's are very good quality. I stuck an OS .91 FX in mine, with a three bladed prop to help ground clearance. A bit overpowered (if there is such a thing), but it ballanced without any ballast. I mounted the NiCad pack to the fuse, covered by the scoop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	718_969.gif
Views:	31
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1202  
Old 01-07-2002, 11:39 PM
quarterhrses
Banned

Default Dago Red

wekenav8r, that's a beautiful plane you have there. I just get goosebumps thinking about geting mine. I like the added touch of the three bladed prop. Hope you don't mind if i copy off of you on that one. And one final thing. Your right. here is no such thing as to much POWER!!!!!

Enjoy the plane
Dan
Old 01-08-2002, 01:27 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default How are the retract on both versions?

Like all the versions of the WM 51. Would like to get the Dago Red version with spinner, (and also the GS 51 version when time and $ permits) Model Airplane News did a good write up on the smaller version. How are retracts on these birds, will they hold up? Wil the GS 51 take a gasser?? Size???
RORO
Old 01-08-2002, 01:43 AM
magnum

Don't know about retracts, but I have talked to a local guy and the LHS today who had the WM GS P51,. They said it would take a gasser, however some modification of the fuselage may be required for muffler clearance. But the area would be covered by the cowling, so no big deal.

My LHS is suggesting a Fuji. I think he wants me to try one and see how the engine does. Anyone tried the Fuji's? Are they anygood?

Anyway, there is plenty of room under the cowl for a gasser. I would like the Zenoah G-45. I may know more soon, as I may order it by the end of the week. But I still like the idea of the Saito 1.80, just hate the idea of the fuel I will pay for.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:46 AM
magnum

wekenav8r,

Looks like I failed to finish my post earlier. I meant to say nice looking plane.

You are correct, I think the bottom of the Dago Red is purple isn't it?(at least on the fuselage) Perhaps the light in the shop was reflecting the bottom thru to the top. Should have taken it outside....
Old 01-08-2002, 04:04 AM
wekenav8r
My Feedback: (37)

Default Magnum

You're right, the bottom is purple. I really like the fiberglass fuse, very thin and light. The WM planes come with a clear dummy cowl, to make your engine cutouts in. When you're satisfied with the fit, you transfer the cutouts onto the painted cowl. I hope more manufacturers pay attention to this idea!
Old 01-10-2002, 12:50 PM
BALSA BANDIT

Default Miss America

This is a great Mustang. Using a BGX1 in mine. Hint; Keep the throws within the spec given with the plane. I put 3D controls in mine and it will do the greatest flat spin of any warbird you have ever seen, only problem is, its real hard to get out of, I know...Mine ended up in kit form from the last spin and I was too close to the ground and splat. Its reassembled at this time but its in the ruff, gotta do a lot of sanding and recovering before spring. Love Mustangs, the only war bird that was built to fly, all the rest of the warbirds were built to drop bombs and shoot guns. Ken....The "BALSA BANDIT"
Old 01-10-2002, 09:51 PM
magnum

Bandit,

Sorry to hear about that. I am not familiar with the BGX1 engine, who's is that?

Thanks for the warning on the throws. I will be sure and set it up with dual rates for starters. I don't do much 3D or heavy stunts, just like flying around.

How heavy was the engine you put in it? Did you have to add any weght anywhere?

The reason I ask, I am trying to find out if the plane is tail heavy (I assume it is) and if I can get away with a bigger engine rather than adding dead weight.

I bit the bullet and ordered it, so it will be hear next Friday I hope..

Thanks,
Randy
Old 01-11-2002, 02:08 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by magnum
I am not familiar with the BGX1 engine, who's is that?
It is a big OS 2-stroke glow engine.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:34 AM
magnum

Thanks Maverick,

I should have edited my post, I remembered it after I posted.

At 35cc HUGE is more like it. I don't think I could afford the fuel as much as I will fly it.