Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Skyshark Edge 540*

Robne68,
The Elevator Bellcrank from Central Hobbies is considerably lighter than a wooden dowel. I used the CF rods as well. The Two combined saved about 3 oz of tailweight.

My own experience says the CG at 3 1/4" is a safe place to start. It flies very stable at this point, and only pulls very slightly to the canopy on knife-edge.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
waterfalls
My Feedback: (26)

I second that. my CG is at 3 1/2" back. I think the manual needs to be changed.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM
p51mech38

I just want to give a shout out to Angie and Mike at Skyshark for always helping out. I just got my third model in two years. I just can't find any thing else I like. For you guys that are having wing angle issues be aware of how you tighten down the wing the same each time you fly. I have found in the past that it matters quite a bit.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Does any one know for a fact what the incidence reading should be on this model?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 AM
warhwk

Time for a little update. My lateral balance issue was resolved and I now have my CG at 3 1/2" like Waterfalls. I got a new 9CAF TX for Christmas and have now had time to play with the triple rates and mixing. I've been flying more lately after a little bit of a winter layoff. I've got my CCW rolling circles down where I am not so nervous anymore. I still choke on the CW rolling circles. Inverted flat spins are breathtaking, even on low rate.

I just discovered (or at least got the nerve to try) Blenders. My first was at 1/4 throttle and it knocked my Pilot loose!! I couldn't believe how violently the vertical decent stopped! The Edge handled it fine except for the Pilot issue.

I just picked up a 16x6 to replace my 15x8. The next few flights I will play with Extreme rates and see if I can do a little High Alpha like Waterfalls has been doing. How are everyone's Edges doing these days?

P.S. Eagle Flyer, Mine spec'ed out at 0-0 with about 1/2 degree of engine upthrust.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I made a note in the assembly manual when I started this little project, 5/04/06! How's that for a quickie ARF project? In any event, attached is the photo taken following it's successful maiden today.

I used a Saito 100, stock muffler, APC prop, Dave Brown spinner, Sullivan flex tank, CMP pilot. I built the elevator pushrod assembly per the instructions and attempted to install it. After attempting to feed the two wires throught the holes in the rear of the fuze, I lost my temper, broke it in half, grabed the trusty Dremel and cut two holes in the rear of the fuze and installed dual elevator servos. I coupled the elevator channel to the gear channel. I c/g'd at 2 7/8" behind the LE. I used Velcro the attach the 600MAH battery to the top of the engine box, and added @ 5 oz. of lead to the top of the engine box.

The two flights today were uneventful. I like maidens with no surprises. She lands like a dream with the C/G at the rear of the main spar (2 7/8" behind the LE). I made two "greaser landings" and the gear still bowed out. As a matter of fact, I bent one of the gear legs when a tied it down to the shelf in my pickup with a minie bungie cord! I am surprised that Mike didn't upgrade the LG. It is obviously defective, but all in all, not a bad ARF. I am not a 3d flyer, but enjoy struggling with the IMAC Basic Sequence.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their Skyshark EDGE as much as I enjoyed mine today. Regards to all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42744.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	674072  
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Dwing

Glad to hear your maiden went well...
What size prop did you use on your saito 100?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Good Afternoon Dwing:

I used an APC 15X6 (LP 15060).
Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Keelo68

Hi ALL,
Time to chime in now that flyin season is finally back. My Edge is doing ok now after about 18 flights (first 10 were breakins on the big OS 1.20 AX) Mods sincs last post are as follows : Replaced 3-bladed 13.4X13.5 with 16X4W(geez don't try that prop in the wind, God knows what my engine reved that day-and only for 3D), 15X8, and now 16X8 prop. Added C-Tronics onboard glow system (sweet) after running rich too long on low end (and low altitude) and engine failure caused rough area landing and tore main gear off. Removed and re-added (see below) 2oz nose weight. Have ordered carbon fiber gear (should be here friday) from graphtechrc.com (model #114)...that off runway landing finally demolished my homemade gear. Replaced 2/26 rear section of rudder rod with 4/40 (everyone was right) to resolve tail wag in cross wind dives. Checked the lateral balence, which was perfect (also see below).

Now for the see below:
While installing the onboard glow system (cowl was off) I decided to remove the weight I originally added to achieve balence as per instructions. I didn't measure but the balance was just behind the black stripe and wingtip after removal. THEN for the first time ever my Edge bagan to stap out of just fairly hard pulls. This occors at both slow and cruising speed (about 1/3 throttle with this engine) and both righted and inverted (so it ain't elevator rod flex, cause there pulling on surfaces during inverted pull) and on LOW rates. As mentioned the lateral balence is perfect.

Now you guys who fly mainly 3D might like the more aft balence, but I encourage anyone who is encountering this problem to test your plane with recommended balance point to see if it corrects the problem...then you decide which way you want it. Myself, I do alot of fast, low, hard turns (you know, Red Bull air race style) so I can't risk this stap out. An airline pilot explained to me that when you turn too hard (horizontal, not loop) and have a high speed stall that it always "pays off to the inside" - meaning that since your inside wingtip is going slightly slower than your outside (topside) wingtip the low wing will stall first. This, of course, causes your plane to flip upside down...and since your already pulling hard back, if you're very close to the ground, it's all over in a blink. I saw it happen last summer when to guys were pulling harder and harder to see who could turn the tightest... it was not pretty.

Well thats my 52 cents....I may post some pics after I get the new gear on. Later all.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
mustango07

if anyone has a skyshark edge 540 for sale nib please contact me at ddaviso07@netzero.net would like to purchase it thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 PM
mustango07

if anyone needs a carbon fiber landing gear made for skyshark edge 540 contact me at ddaviso07@netzero.net. i bought it from guy who is making them for this plane on this site, but i crashed plane before i got the gear and no longer need it since you cant buy plane from skyshark. price is $30 plus shipping thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM
warhwk

I've lost my top-hatch\canopy in a move. If anyone still has a Skyshark edge in non-flying condition, I would like to purchase it from you. I promise to make it worth your while. warhwkbb@yahoo.com