Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Skyshark Edge 540*

hi zippi; not real sure on the servo# but they are hitec metel geared that were planned on a bigger plane. on the wings i used 3004's but the rudder/elevator are hitecs; i think they are somewhere around 80oz. i'm going to try a 16-4w or a 15-4w apc prop, that .91fx came off a gp 300 extra and with a 16-4w apc it would go straight up with 15% nitro and a brison pitts muffler. about the engine mount i would make sure it is in the center of both holes. and make sure it is in the center of the cowl. i went with a great planes adj. mount 60/90 size and redrilled the firewall.
i knew in advance the the plane was a little tail heavy so that was the reason why i went with a heavier mount.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Zippi

Well, I ran into a problem. There are slots on the firewall box for the motor mount and they are not even close to the same size diameter as the blind nuts. Thats not to bad, just ream them out so the blind nuts will just fit. Now, with that said and done, just where do you bolt the motor mount into place as far as up and down so that the crankshaft is in the center of the cowling??? I'm going to use a Dave Brown mount instead of the supplied one and I know where the mount needs to be as far as side to side but I don't know about where the crankshaft needs to be as far as up and down so it comes out in the middle of the cowl. Is there anyone who has put one of these planes together and can give me a measurement on where the mount should be as far as up an down on the firewall. The firewall measures 4 1/32 W X 4 1/16 H. just how far down from the top is the middle of the crankshaft on the engine? I would appreciated any help.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:57 PM
ken graham

zippi this is ken again. i did open up the slots behind the firewall alittle, just enough to install the blind nuts. as faras using those slots i would center the mount with the engine on and than put the cowling on the plane to eye ball it. i went with a great plane engine mount and had to redrill all 4 holes it was not a problem just alittle more thinking. if you need to make the slots longer just use a dremel or a round hand file. I didn't permanatly mount the cowling untill i had the engine was permanatly mounted, i managed to use a couple of small c-clamps to hold the moter and the mount to the firewall and eyeballed it.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Zippi

I've had time to do a little more work on the plane but I still haven't received my servos yet. Up to this point, there has only been miner problems and nothing that wouldn't be found on most ARF's. I ran three tubes from the fuel tank, one to the easy fueler, one for the pressure line on the muffler, and one for the vent since I can't get to the muffler to unplug it when I refuel. I thought about getting a pilot but I think I'll just do what I do with all my planes, paint the conopy black inside. The plane is really looking nice and the only thing I have left to do that is really not my thing is cutting the cowling. I added a couple pics of the vinyl graphic package that will also be added to the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42336.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	334994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24895.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	334995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32211.jpg
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	334996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38684.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	334997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40188.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	334998  
Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Zippi

All I have left to do is tent the canopy and intall it and install all the radio gear which still has not arrived from Servo City yet, it's been 10 days.

Name:	Nl30470.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	337091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69115.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	337092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96108.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	337093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk23006.jpg
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	337094  
Old 10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Zippi,

Sorry for the slow reply. As stated, it was my flying buddies plane, not mine. He certainly did not say anything about a light and heavy gear set. He has now installed the gear and wheel pants from his Funtana 90. We had it out last weekend and the new gear worked fine. Only issue is the yellow color, and I assume that he will eventually repaint them if he decides to leave them on the plane.

The plane handles well but the 91SX is a bit low on power. He mentioned a YS110 ...

Greg
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Zippi, she is looking nice.
On servo's may I suggest going and looking at Don's Hobby Shop http://www.donalds-hobby.com/Prod/Scripts/default.asp.
I have ordered from servo city with no problems but Don's service and pricing are above most. I just picked up 4 5645's for
189.99, no shipping or tax. Received them in about 4 days but would have been sooner if I had not ordered a receiver too.
Anyway the plane is looking good, I keep thinking about it over and over agian but I have to many things in the fire right now.

The saito 100 would be a good engine on this airplane and the YS 110 would be a monster but with good throttle control would be
fine. With the saito's I use 30 percent Heli fuel to give them a few extra rpm's. If I were to get one of these the engine would be the
saito 100 mainly because I have one laying around and it needs a home.
John
Old 10-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Zippi

This plane has unlimited vertical with the Saito 1.00, so they say. But, if you watch the video, you can clearly see that it does. jgraham10, the YS would be a killer on this plane dude. It would look really cool sticking out of the cowl. like a Hemi sticking out of the hood of an old Cuda I called Servo City and ask about my order. I mailed it in so my wife wouldn't know about it. They checked and it was just sitting there. They told me that it would be shipped that day and I should get it by Thursday. Hopfully by the 23rd I should be ready to put the maiden flight on this baby.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Zippi

I'm just about finished with the plane and ready to maiden it within the next week. All I really have left to do is install the throttle linkage, battery pack, and the receiver. I did run into something that I really didn't like about the plane. There is a black stripe that runs on the side of the fuse from the rear to the front but not on the cowl. They supply you with a black vinyl strip that you apply and it will not stick to the cowl at all. If you could get it to stick it wouldn't be there long after you start flying. I'm either going to paint the stripe on or just leave it off. I'm not sure now about putting the vinyl gaphics pack that I got for the plane on after see this. I'll have some pics once I get everything finished and before I fly it for the first time.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Zippi

Well, it's finally finished. All I have to do is break the engine in and go fly it. The weather here has taken a turn for the worst so I don't know now when I'll get to do the mainden flight. A few things I really didn't like about the kit. First, the screws for the aileron control horns were way to short so I had to remove the horns and buy new ones since I couldn't find screws that long at the hobby shop. Second, you get vinyl strips for the side of the cowl to match the strip down the side of the fuse and these are just junk. They will not stay on no matter what I did. I had to paint the black strip on the cowl and it's not the best job I've ever done but it looks ok. Third, the graphics package that I added really makes the plane come alive but they didn't seem like they were cut just right and didn't match the decals on the plane as I would have liked but they came out looking really cool. and last, I had to add 8 oz of lead to the nose which is a lot but Skysharks site says that with the Saito 1.00, most people have been adding between 5-7 oz. All in all, this plane is well worth the money and I'm sure it's going to fly just fine from watching the video. It's a keeper in my book

Name:	Ge94251.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	342370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93372.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	342371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95557.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	342372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27273.jpg
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	342373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75226.jpg
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	342374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs14200.jpg
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	342375  
Old 10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
jgraham10

Zippi,
She is looking good and I bet she does fly great.
John
Old 10-22-2005, 03:41 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Zippi,
Congratulations on a nice looking build and I'll be looking forward to reviewing your flight reports. Thought about one of these for awhile, but like most manufacturers the trim is already factory applied. I really wish that they (the manufacturers) would stop doing this and just supply the graphics in the box. My last two builds were problematic in that while trying to tighten up the covering with my iron, the vinyl graphics chose to melt first and had to be removed.

I am interested to see how the engine box structure holds up. This does not look like the strongest construction that I have ever seen and the factory didn't even run the tri-stock around the perimeter of the joint. How do the landing gear attachment points look inside of the fusalage? Again nice job and looking forward to more info. l have a YS 110FZ without a home that weighs more than the Saito FA-100. Seems like this might help with the balance, but I'm worried about ripping that engine box apart.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Zippi,
Congratulations on a nice looking build and I'll be looking forward to reviewing your flight reports. Thought about one of these for awhile, but like most manufacturers the trim is already factory applied. I really wish that they (the manufacturers) would stop doing this and just supply the graphics in the box. My last two builds were problematic in that while trying to tighten up the covering with my iron, the vinyl graphics chose to melt first and had to be removed.

I am interested to see how the engine box structure holds up. This does not look like the strongest construction that I have ever seen and the factory didn't even run the tri-stock around the perimeter of the joint. How do the landing gear attachment points look inside of the fusalage? Again nice job and looking forward to more info. l have a YS 110FZ without a home that weighs more than the Saito FA-100. Seems like this might help with the balance, but I'm worried about ripping that engine box apart.
The engine box does have tri stock on all four sides. The graphics package did not come with the kit, it was optional for $39.95. All of the other decals on the plane were already applied. The landing gear area is fine but like all ARF's I buy, I add a little extra epoxy. This is really one hell of a plane guys and I can't wait to fly it. Tomorrow I'll run the engine and get it nice and broken in for the maiden whenever the weather breaks.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:14 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Zippy,
Yes there is tri-stock on all four sides, but not continously or mitered in the corners as it should be. IMHO do it right or not at all and from the photos this structure does not look to be as strong as it could be. That is why I am awaiting more information, flight reports and longevity reports before I commit. My current project a Precision Aerobatics Edge 540T/DA50 is on hold until we see how bad Hurricane Wilma gets us [:@]. Just looking for a home for the YS 110 and if not here it will be a Pacific Aero 540T. One of our club members has one and it flies just fine. I am considering the Skyshark as an option due to the companies reputation for distrubuting first class kits. Are these ARF'S made in the US, or in China? I'm kind of afraid right now to open a box and maybe get the bird flu .
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Zippy,
Yes there is tri-stock on all four sides, but not continously or mitered in the corners as it should be. IMHO do it right or not at all and from the photos this structure does not look to be as strong as it could be. That is why I am awaiting more information, flight reports and longevity reports before I commit. My current project a Precision Aerobatics Edge 540T/DA50 is on hold until we see how bad Hurricane Wilma gets us [:@]. Just looking for a home for the YS 110 and if not here it will be a Pacific Aero 540T. One of our club members has one and it flies just fine. I am considering the Skyshark as an option due to the companies reputation for distrubuting first class kits. Are these ARF'S made in the US, or in China? I'm kind of afraid right now to open a box and maybe get the bird flu .
I'm not sure where they are made. One of those third world countries. If your not sure about the tri stock you can always fix it the way you want. That would be a cheap fix. I'm sure it will hold up just fine.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
micp

I recieved my SkyShark Edge a week or so ago. Overall I am quite impressed. I have some concerns with the engine block area also but I always beef that area up on any ARF. I have a 110 YS and a 91 YS. I am putting the 110 in the my Funtana and the 91 in the Edge. I plan on using the Edge for regular aerobatics and the Funtana foe 3D. Of course if I decide to put a 110 in the skyshark it will drop into the mount for the 91 so I have several options. I examined the stripes that came with the kit for the cowl and I too was not impressed. I will probably look for car pinstriping to replace it.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Zippi

I'm going to break the engine in tomorrow and I think the sun is going to shine and the wind is going to lay down about Wednesday so that may be the day I get to put the first flight on her. I don't remember if I said that the CG is 2 5/8 - 2 7/8 and with the 8 oz that I added to the nose I'm at the 2 7/8 if not a little more than that. I really hated to add all that weight but I'm not going to add anymore. Once I get fuel in the tank it should be fine.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:45 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Hi zippi,
If the saito 100 weighs 19.20 oz less muffler and you had to add 8 ozs of dead weight = 27.20 ounces on the nose, wonder how a saito 180 would work out at a weight of 31.04 less muffler ?
I built a 63" Extra 300 and put a old NIB OS 90 FSR on the nose and i used two standard size servos in the rear fuse for elevators and one servo for rudder (pull-pull) and it balanced out perfectly with no added weight.

Just a thought for anyone contemplating buying and building this plane.

John
Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: wahoo

Hi zippi,
If the saito 100 weighs 19.20 oz less muffler and you had to add 8 ozs of dead weight = 27.20 ounces on the nose, wonder how a saito 180 would work out at a weight of 31.04 less muffler ?
I built a 63" Extra 300 and put a old NIB OS 90 FSR on the nose and i used two standard size servos in the rear fuse for elevators and one servo for rudder (pull-pull) and it balanced out perfectly with no added weight.

Just a thought for anyone contemplating buying and building this plane.

John
I think the Saito 180 would be overkill, At Skysharks site, they have this to say about the CG:

Flight reports from our customers indicate and average flying weight of between 7lb 11 oz - 8lb 4oz.
If using a Saito 100, our customers usually need to add nose weight of 5-7 oz. unless using a pitts muffler.
Saito 120 and RCV .91 will usually balance without adding additional weight
Electric conversions usually balance without additional weight by keeping the battery packs in the fuel tank area.

Note: The weight of the balsa and ply in each plane will vary so these numbers will fluctuate slightly from plane to plane.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:28 AM
wahoo

I read the site and thats why i made that comment.

It might just be me but if i'm going to have to add any additional weight to a plane i'm gonna make darn sure its usable weight such as if its tail heavy and moving batteries and such doesn't do it then i'm all for adding two servos for elevator. If nose weight is needed (especially half pound !) then i'm gonna go with a bigger engine. I understand the saito 100 will pull this thing vertical, but just think how much better the 180 will do the job.

I had a 3/4 ton chevy van with a 305cid 4 barrel engine that i was always "stepping into" to get the thing moving with a load in it. I replaced it with a 350 cid and not only did i have power to spare, BUT my gas mileage increased drastically from not having to horse the engine to get the same performance.

I could be wrong but with the saito 100 and an additional 8 ounces of weight you will be using more throttle then you would with the 180 therefore using more fuel.

My 2 cents anyway.

John
Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 AM
wahoo

Another thing is the saito 120 weighs 28.90 oz and the 180 weighs 31.04 oz which is a difference of only 2.14 ounces. Moving things around will counter such a small difference.

John
Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: wahoo

Another thing is the saito 120 weighs 28.90 oz and the 180 weighs 31.04 oz which is a difference of only 2.14 ounces. Moving things around will counter such a small difference.

John
Yea, I guess you can put the 180 on the nose and man would that be a stump puller All I know is, I can't wait to get this thing in the air. Bad weather has moved in and "It Ain't Lookin Good"
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Zippi

I fired the engine up today even though the temperature was 46 degrees and the wind was blowing about 25 mph. The instruction book on the engine said to set the high end 5 turns out to have a good rich setting for the initial start up. The engine fired right up and went through the whole tank of fuel in less than two min. I turned the high end back to about 2 1/2 turns open and ran two tanks through the engine. After 45 min. of running, I had to turn the low end 1 1/2 turns to lean the low end to get a good idle and good transition. Looks like Thursday will be partly sunny and around 55 to 60 degrees and the wind 5 to 10 mph. If it holds at that, she'll be in the air on Thursday
Old 10-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Zippi

Finally I got to test fly my Edge 540 today and man, what a plane. I couldn't keep the smile off of my face and there was no one around to enjoy this with. I had trouble getting the engine started because either my starter or the battery is not big enough to start the Saito 1.00. I did get it started finally and I took it straight to the grass runway and not our concrete runway, better handling in the grass. I taxied around a little just to see how she would handle and then went to the end of the runway, stopped, looked at the wind sock, staight down, tried the controls to see that they were moving in the right direction and poured the coal to the Saito 1.00. Just a touch of up elevator and it lifted off the runway with ease and felt great. Thats when the smile started that I couldn't get off my face It needed two clicks of up elevator and that was it. It was flying straight and true so I tried a simple roll and man was this thing fast on low rates but like it was on a wire. Next was KE, very nice with no correction. I rolled it over inverted and it needed down elevator to hold it level and a little to much for me so I think I can pull a few oz off the nose that I had added. Each flight I checked nuts and bolts and the muffler to see if anything was coming loose and everything seemed fine. I am very pleased with the plane, the performance with the Saito 1.00, and the looks as I know this weekend when I take it to the Field I'm going to have a lot of people wanting to know what AFF this is and what engine. I may have the smile off my face by then but we'll see. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this plane to another club member or myself if I had to buy another one for any reason. This one is a keeper
Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 PM
gjeffers

alright zippi, nice outcomes are always sweet, congrats!!

yes the saito 100 is great and i love mine also, i have somewhere around 400 flights on mine and still runs like a top!!

i almost ordered this plane but instead i ordered the VF edge and should get it in a couple of weeks but im ordering a NEW saito 1.25 that only weighs 3.5 oz more than the 100, so im just waiting for all of it to come together and just flying my ucd60 for now

later and good luck!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.