Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Skyshark Edge 540*

Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Skyshark Edge 540*

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

alright zippi, nice outcomes are always sweet, congrats!!

yes the saito 100 is great and i love mine also, i have somewhere around 400 flights on mine and still runs like a top!!

i almost ordered this plane but instead i ordered the VF edge and should get it in a couple of weeks but im ordering a NEW saito 1.25 that only weighs 3.5 oz more than the 100, so im just waiting for all of it to come together and just flying my ucd60 for now

later and good luck!!
I looked at VF for a long time before I found Skyshark. VF planes look really good and I had a hard time choosing between VF, Aeroworks, and Skyshark. Aeroworks and Skyshark had the best color scheme and when I found out that the 60/90 Edge by Aeroworks was no longer available, I went with the Skyshark and just love it. The only thing I didn't like about VF was the plastic two piece wheel pants and the plastic belly pan. I just received my new project for the winter and it's the Seagull 1/4 scale Laser 200. Looking at maybe a Super Tigre 2300 for this baby
Old 10-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Zippi

I put a few more flights on the plane today and we had 10 to 20 mph winds. I made a few landings that would have been an 8 out of 10 and should have been fine but the landing gear bent pretty good almost letting the prop hit the ground. I may have to drill a hole in each leg of the landing gear and run a 4-40 rod from one side to the other with a nut on the outside to stop this bending. I'll try that before I buy new landing gear. The plane performed flawlessly today and I'm still impressed with the way the plane handles and the power of the Saito 1.00.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:28 PM
ken graham

I finally got home on a ok day to fly this new skyshark edge 540. the winds were less than 20mph so what the heck time to fly... the maiden flight was fun... only a cuople of clicks of up elevator was needed for level flight. the plane tracks as if it was on rails. inverted flight needed some down I'm going to start to pull some weight off of the front of the plane. this is the easiest plane that i have ever flow on a knife edge i just rolled it on edge; some rudder and just a touch of down elevator was all it needed. the snap rolls are quick on low rates and the ailerons are very percise. it is a point and go airplane a.k.a. a very fun plane to fly i used a 91fx with a 16-4 w apc prop and it pulled it straight with power to spare, on 15% nitro. can't wait till the winds get below 10 mph a try some 3d stuff. the landing gear is alittle soft we fly off a grass field that is not the smoothest but may landings were not picture perfet. the plane bounced pretty good on the last landing and the gear did bend but i just grabbed it and bent it back. another flyer at the field put a pair of extra 300 fiberglass gear on his. i might take that route if need be.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
gjeffers

great job Ken, just sitting here waiting on my vf edge to arrive so im just sitting around reading[]

now on your kinfe edge needing a little down ele, i just was thinking about my ucd knife and a little fact i found out and thats when you lighten up the nose you will most likley add a click or two of down on your trim to get back to level flight because the nose will want to rise being lighter so with that done you may cure your knife edge from going towards the canopy, in other words you may have the perfect knife

the cg definatly changes the knife dives!!

good luck(and you may have already known all this but i am bored)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Zippi

I also found the landing gear to be a little soft. I included some pics to show what I did to help this problem. I used a 256 all-thread rod inside an aluminum tube with nylon nuts on the outside. If this doen't work I'll probably go with glass or composite. I you change yours Ken, let us know what gear you used and where we can get it. This plane is still and awsome flyer. On skysharks site they now have a "CRASH-FREE GUARANTEE". They will let you purchase another plane for half price if you crash it within 6 months to a year but you have to have photos of the crashed plane and pay shipping. Still not bad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66731.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	348093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30882.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	348094  
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Zippi

Someone in this thread said that if I add a brace across the landing gear as I did that it would bend where the brace is. That's what happened. I tried a couple nice touch and goes and landings and taxied the plane over to me to take a look at the gear and it looked fine. I took off and this time I did one of those 2, 3, bounce landing and that did it. Looks like I'll be looking for a new landing gear that is not aluminum. If anyone has already replaced theirs please chime in and let me know what you used and where you got it.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM
gjeffers

carbon fiber should do the trick zippi, ill be looking myself for my vf edge
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Zippi

I can't seem to find a good place that sells CF, Composite, or Glass. If you come up with one, post it dude.
ORIGINAL: gjeffers

carbon fiber should do the trick zippi, ill be looking myself for my vf edge
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
gjeffers

ok!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:20 PM
gjeffers

check this out zippi---

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/LandingGear.htm

will keep looking!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:23 PM
gjeffers

a little expensive but here is more---

http://centralhobbies.com/landing_gear/esdflg.html
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
gjeffers

i might go with Bolly zippi, will wait for my plane to arrive this week before i commit.

http://www.bollyprops.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=contact

if you find something better post it here,

thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Zippi

Thanks dude. You know it really burns me up when someone produces a really nice kit and then puts cheap landing gear in the box. I would rather they put a good quality set ot landing gear with the kit to begin with and just up the price of the kit. [:@]
Old 11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
av8tr
My Feedback: (37)

Zippi, a couple of questions for you, did you use Rit dye to tint your canopy? And if you are looking for a good price on landing gear replacement you may want to check out www.tntlandinggear.com. Tom uses mostly aluminum but can get or make pretty much any landing gear you need. Might be worth checking out.

Tim
Old 11-06-2005, 11:25 PM
hobbyncrafts

Zippi, I'm Ken of 'hobbyncrafts'....been making custom CF landing gear for over 5 yrs. You can contact me direct via email at
hobbyncrafts@yahoo.com
just need to know a few dimension, and the planes weight, and I can give you a price for a CF gear.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Anyone flown this plane on a .91 fourstroker? I put my H9 cap232 in the ground, and want a new aerobat in the hangar - my engine choice are my newly liberated .61Fx, a never flown Magnum .91FS or an old Saito .80

I was planning on getting the VF, but with them shutting down business, they're out of Edges for now.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Zippi

I did not use rite dye on the canopy av8tr. I used a black paint that I got at the LHS that is used to paint the inside of the electric car bodies. I think it was Patrics or something like that. The good thing about painting the inside of the canopy is that you can be as sloppy as you want and it will still look great. All you see from the outside is black, you cannot see runs or globs of paint that pool. It works great. Thanks for the link dude.
ORIGINAL: av8tr

Zippi, a couple of questions for you, did you use Rit dye to tint your canopy? And if you are looking for a good price on landing gear replacement you may want to check out www.tntlandinggear.com. Tom uses mostly aluminum but can get or make pretty much any landing gear you need. Might be worth checking out.

Tim
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Zippi

Thanks to Ken of 'hobbyncrafts' I'll be getting new CF landing gear that he custom makes which should cure the problem I have now with the soft landing gear bending.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Ernie Misner

How much is he charging for custom gear these days? Thanks!

Ernie
Old 11-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Lynn1953

Can anyone give me a typical landing setup for this plane. IE - Is a fast fly it to the ground plane - a little slow and it snaps out? Since VF has closed the doors, I need to look elsewhere for a 540 in this size range.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Zippi

I have 12 flights on my Edge 540 and I see no bad habbits. It does not snap out at low speed, in fact, it flys much like a smaller plane. You can float it in or fly it to the ground, whatever you choose. This plane is very stable even in windy conditions. The only thing I replaced on the plane was the control rods for the aileron, I went with 4-40 rods and used the 2-56 on the elevator and rudder that was supplied in the kit. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would put the new Saito 1.25 coming out in Dec. on the business end. The Saito 1.00 that I'm using is fine and plenty of power but you need to add weight to the nose to get the CG correct so the weight might as well be in the engine and not in lead. Very nice flying plane, I'm taking it up again in the morning if the weather holds up.
ORIGINAL: Lynn1953

Can anyone give me a typical landing setup for this plane. IE - Is a fast fly it to the ground plane - a little slow and it snaps out? Since VF has closed the doors, I need to look elsewhere for a 540 in this size range.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
ken graham

i got another chance to fly the edge, managed to flex the landing gear again, still looking for some different landing gear. i might try and find
some better grade alu. and make them myself. took some wieght off of the nose likes to knife edge better. i come in under alittle speed and chop the throttle as the plane is inches off the ground and then bleed off speed and start to flare. mine will snap to the right but you have to going at or just below stall speed you can't float it in like a u-can-do from gp. the worst thing about this plane is the landing gear[&o][&o] but the rest of the plane is great.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey Zippi, isn't the new 125 the same weight (approx) as the 100 though?

Ernie
Old 11-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Zippi

The 1.00 weighs in at 19.4 oz and the new 1.25 is a little heavier at 24.69. The 1.25 is using the same block as the 1.00 but has a bigger bore. Same physical size as the 1.00 with a lot more power. It's going to sell at $339.95 which I'm sure you have seen. Man, thats a lot money but I sure would like to have one. Can't wait to read some of the threads about the engine that will be coming up just after Christmas.
ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Hey Zippi, isn't the new 125 the same weight (approx) as the 100 though?

Ernie
Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Zippi

We had a really pretty Sunday this past weekend and the flying field was packed, standing room only. A friend of mine that originally told me about the Skyshark Edge 540 was there and I let him fly mine. After flying it he said he was going to order one as soon as he got home. At the end of the day when I was taking it apart he came over to inspect the inside to see how it was built and he was amazed at the quality. I told him that if I had it to do all over again, I'd put the Saito 1.20 or the new 1.25 coming out on the business end and you probably wouldn't have to add much weight if any at all. The plane is holding up very well and should be a crowd pleaser at our upcoming mall show.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.