Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying >

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I'm not worried about ribs, I need to know how much room to the spar and L/E.

I measure 4 1/8" from the leading edge to the spar.
John
Old 10-08-2005, 01:14 AM

I agree on the cheese pushrods....[>:] they are the same as on other H9 kits,....too bad
The plastic dummy engine looks similar to the one I have on the AT-6...it works fine (of course you need to glue the exterior to the cowling...
Firewall always have to be reinforced, but once done, no problem at all.
I'll order mine soon to follow the collection..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30104.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	335723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53199.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	335724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19808.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	335725  
Old 10-08-2005, 08:06 AM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I'm not worried about ribs, I need to know how much room to the spar and L/E.

I measure 4 1/8" from the leading edge to the spar.
John
Thanks John, that's the answer I was looking for.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (25)

John what struts did you get Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM

John,

I'm about to start on mine and wondered, can you retro-fit the Robarts after the plane
is completely done? I want to build it stock and then when I have accumulated all the
parts, retro-fit the pneumatics.......do you see a problem with that? Also, if I install the
511's with the wires, can I go back later and add the Robo-struts? I am practicing for
my Top Flite Gold Edition P47, that is why I bought this plane, as a trainer for the full-on
thing and I have never messed around with pneumatics before. I do have the Hanger 9
AT6 and did not experience any problems with it. I did the Robart wire upgrade thing that
everyone recommended and did not have a problem with that either.

Regards,
Andy
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 AM
My Feedback: (76)

I just got my arf kit in today:
I am going to be doing air retract install:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJZD5&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES70&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES71&P=V
right now with the coupon (20 dollars off) the total comes to an affordable 179.98
not too shabby for some solid retracts

Just finished painted the dummy engine and mounted it into the cowling today, I will be using a saito 100 engine.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:27 AM

DiscoWings,

This is about the same setup that I just bought, the only differences being that I bought the
Robart 85 Degree Mains w/3/16"Wire w/Air Kit. This was before I decided to leap in and
buy the Robostruts right now. I opted for the Robart 650 Straight RoboStuts because in reading
a lot about the gear installation on the Top Flite Gold Edition P47 kit, which is about an identical
size to this one, people were having trouble getting the gear to retract fully with the slightly offset
struts so were going with the straight ones. We'll see.............this plane is a practice one for me
before I build the Top Flite kit so I'm experimenting. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm going
to try to start mine this week. Just got the wing halves and joiner out of the box and want to get
it joined before the gear get here.

Ain't this fun?

Andy
Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 PM

rcandy,

I did the same setup above with my h9 mustang. I bought both striaght struts & offset; I had a lot more problems with the striaght strut then I did with the offset. The main problem was that with the straight struts the retract would not retract, I had to remove the wheel well and even after that it wanted to retract all the way through the wing! With the offset struts The wheel slipped into the wheel well a LOT better, although still not as snug as the stock metal ones.

I used some robart gear door covers and added the fairing after installing the robart retracts, the problem with the original retracts was that the drag form the air would cause the fairings to pull downward, thus putting stress on the retracts. I could see the retracts being pulled as much as 2-3 inches out of the wheel well. When I switched to the robos, even with the drag caused by the fairing, the retracts stayed in place and didn't move.

The p-47 has the same exact retract setup as the p-47, they are the same length, same wire, same retract housing. I haven't seen the top flight p-47 so I can't comment on those... I was looking at the century jet p-47 retract set, but they were about 1-1/2 inch too short according to the specs on towerhobbies. I feel since you are spending the money on getting air retracts, its almost worth the extra 80 or so dollars for the oleo robo struts, 175.00 is not bad when you think about it. In fact I would go so far as to say I rather have mechanicle retracts with robostruts rather then have air retracts with stock wire.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no doubt that a Saito 72 would fly this airplane. I have owned or flown all of these H9 warbirds. I have not used anything bigger than an OS 91 Surpass in any of my personal birds, and that was more than enough power. I agree with one poster that you may need a little weight in the nose, but the power to weight ration will be fine. This airframe weighs less than 3 pounds. It is very light and nicely built. I am going to add the usual "beef" to the firewall (couple of pieces of 1 inch triangle stock and epoxy). These retracts seem to be a newer model to the ones in the P-51. The adjustment makes them pretty strong. I finished assembling the wing and retracts last nite. Took less than 3 hours. The fuse will not take too much longer. This plane goes together very quickly and looks really nice. I agree that of all the H9 warbirds, the covering job on this one is the best.
BTW I have flown the T-6, P-51, and P-40 (as well as the GP Stearman) with the SAito 100, and do not think that you get any big advantage over the bigger engine in the H9 birds, the only exception here being the Stearman.
Just my $0.02
Tommy
Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 PM

DW,

Ok, I did some checking with Robart and looked at the P51 Manual (for Top Flite) and the P47 Manual
(also for Top Flite) and here's what I came up with. The P51 uses 90 degree retracts and the struts
have an offset. Of course the offset only allows for 3-1/4" wheels (I verified this with Robart). The P47 uses 85 degree retracts and straight struts. In talking with Robart, the real P47 had an ever-so-slight offset, but they recommend the straight strut for the P47 and that is what was called for in the Top Flite manual as well. Also, the offset struts would not allow for the 3-1/2" wheels that came with the P47 and in checking in the manuals again, 3-1/2" to 4" wheels are what are scale for this scale of model which is somewhere between 1/7 and 1/8 scale.........give or take of course.

I have not done this kind of retract work before, but I have done the research so I'm pretty comfortable with my choices..........which could be wrong ones. I'll keep you posted and I would appreciate it if you would do the same so maybe we can both learn..................at least I can.

Very best regards,
Andy
Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: edgeman55-RCU

John what struts did you get Thanks.

I am using the 650 straight RoboStruts.
John
Old 10-11-2005, 06:47 PM

rcandy,

Hrm, the 85 degree seemed to be perfect for my mustang... In fact every mustang I have ever seen has had 85 degree retracts. I'm not sure why the TF are 90 degree. The reason for the 85 degree is to compensate for the dihedreal in the wing, 90 degree would cause the gear to "bow out". Both the p-47 and p-51 had dihedral in the wings, so 85 degree are the way to go. Also maybe the p-47 will be a little differnt and allow the use of the straight struts, it would be interesting to see how they come out.

I just finished gorilla gluing the dummy engine to the cowling

Name:	Ig12661.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	337732  
Old 10-11-2005, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rcandy

John,

I'm about to start on mine and wondered, can you retro-fit the Robarts after the plane
is completely done? I want to build it stock and then when I have accumulated all the
parts, retro-fit the pneumatics.......do you see a problem with that? Also, if I install the
511's with the wires, can I go back later and add the Robo-struts? I am practicing for
my Top Flite Gold Edition P47, that is why I bought this plane, as a trainer for the full-on
thing and I have never messed around with pneumatics before. I do have the Hanger 9
AT6 and did not experience any problems with it. I did the Robart wire upgrade thing that
everyone recommended and did not have a problem with that either.

Regards,
Andy
Andy,
Reading your subsequent posts, it looks as though your research led you to the same RoboStrut selection I made (straight stuts).

I finished building the airframe this weekend. This is only my 3rd ARF build, but it is by far the best. Everything fits and looks great! I plan to install the retracts this weekend and will post an update ASAP. I too would appreciate feedback from anyone else on their air retract install.

John
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 PM

DW and John,

Wow this is exciting!!! I just got notices from Tower on the delivery of my retracts and struts!!
I hope we all stay in touch on this build, obviously DW and John have more experience on this
subject than I do, but maybe we will all nail this down for others. Well, gotta go to dinner now but the wings are on my bench for joining and in anticipation of the arrival of the gear. I don't know how to post pictures but will look forward to seeing how DW and John install the retracts..........hopefully they will so I have something to go on.

Cheers to all,
Andy
Old 10-12-2005, 12:09 AM

I'm in Baton Rouge LA,
anything coming to Louisiana has an added 2 week delay[&o]
UPS has main SOUTH HUB located in Jackson MS, seeing how Katrina really messed up the logistics, I will have to wait about 2-3 weeks before I get my retracts in[&o]
Old 10-12-2005, 12:47 AM

Well I didn't get to fly my P 47 this weekend because it is still not finished. In mounting the engine (Satio 72) at an angle it would have required cutting the cowl out on the right side to clear the head. So back to drawing board and I have now got the engine ready to mount upside down with very little cowl cutting required. Also as suspected the bird came out way tail heavy with the Satio .72 up front. To help I have started moving the servos from the tail to the front and inside were they should have been in the first place. I think now the bird will balance well with little to no extra nose weight. Plus it just looks better without those servos sticking out in the breeze. I know light weight airplanes fly better and hope all this extra work pays off. I also hope the light weight helps the stock retracts to hold up under pressure. In all it has been a good learning experience for me as this is my second war bird. Second if you can count a House of Balsa P51 as the first and that was 10 years ago!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:41 AM

Wondering if anybody has both the H9 P-51 and P-47 and has had the chance to compare retracts. I'm hoping that the P-51 and P-47 retracts are identical so I could upgrade the P-47 retracts with the mechanical units sold by FTE. Anybody know? Hope these get in the air before the weather runs our for the season. Wating anxiously to hear a flight report, though expect it to be like the other H9 offerings.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 AM

flyer2004, I've read a couple of comments about moving the servos forward and inside. Are you
using dowel pushrods or plastic "straw" with metal pushrods? If so, in either case, how did you get
some support for the pushrods so they don't flex in the fuselage. I'd like to do that to. It's easy when
you are building a kit because you do it before the fuse is complete or covered, but in this instance
I'm trying to figure out how to do it so it looks good and has support. I've been building for over 25
years but just started.......well a couple of years ago........playing with ARF's, so I'm still coming up
to speed on them.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Scotsman

Wondering if anybody has both the H9 P-51 and P-47 and has had the chance to compare retracts. I'm hoping that the P-51 and P-47 retracts are identical so I could upgrade the P-47 retracts with the mechanical units sold by FTE. Anybody know? Hope these get in the air before the weather runs our for the season. Wating anxiously to hear a flight report, though expect it to be like the other H9 offerings.

I do, they are the same.Same lenght, same wire, same everything. Thats why I know the robarts that I used in my P-51 will work on the P-47. MIND you, I flew the p-51 with stock retracts for 2-3 weeks, WITH NO Problems. I just like the look of robostruts better, plus with robart I use the variable valve to slow down the retracts so it looks more scale.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 AM

Personally, I rather have the servos on the outside. Sure they don't look as scale, but they are a lot less hassle to install and work with. The pushrods are simplier when things are in the tail and the servos are easier to maintain. I don't think it takes away from the look of the plane, after all this is sport scale
Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Hey guys thanks for all the info.This is my first go around with air type retracts and all your help will save me a lot of time.Looking foward to hear what works best as I will order everthing after I see what works here.Hope someone will post pics of there install.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:08 PM

I used Sullivan golden rods because I had some on hand. I started by first cutting slots in the fuselage and then gluing the outer rod in these slots. After that I approximated the width of the fuselage and cut cross braces and drilled them for the outer rod size. Then I slid the rods through the holes and carefully fit the braces in the fuselage. It's mostly a trial and error method. I sanded the outer rod were the braces would be. After that I mixed some epoxy, applied it to the cross brace ends were they would contact the formers, and then slid the outer rod through the holes and positioned the braces in the fuselage. After that epoxy dried and the brace was were firm, I mixed more epoxy and started off trying to apply it to where the rods go through the braces. Only one problem! Once you put your hand in the fuselage you can't see were to place the glue. So I did by feel and dug my finger into the epoxy and placed it that way. Hope this helps.

Name:	Gd93594.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	338489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58009.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	338490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42891.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	338491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67508.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	338492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23829.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	338493  
Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 PM

I see you screwed up on the elevator hinge location.....
Old 10-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Well sort of! That's because I had it set up for the servos on the outside at first. I moved the horn in once I went to the push rod set up. This way I could exit the push rod further back and not mess up the alignment with the horn. I need some covering for the servo holes anyway so a quick removal of the horn and a small patch will conceal my screw up.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 PM

flyer2004,

Thanks for posting that.........I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. Like I've said in
a couple of earlier posts, this is a practice exercise for me. I've got a Top Flite P47 in my shop
that I'm going to build when I retire.......only 30 months but who's counting? I'm really going
to detail it out but have not done the pneumatic retract thing before. Also, going to install a
SuperTigre G75 with header and in-cowl muffler in the H9 bird because that's what I'll use in
the TF P47. Then comes the fun part........flying this baby. This bird and the TF bird are really
close. The TF P47 has a wingspan of 63-1/2" and this one has 65" so they ought to be really
close. I also have an old Jemco 60-sized P47 I bought 20 years ago that I intend to build in
retirement..........hope I have enough life left for all the projects I have lined up.
Anyway, not to digress, I'll look long and hard at the fuse in this plane and try to decide if
the servos go where the stock position is or if I want to move them forward.
Again, thanks for posting.......I'm learning a lot here.

Cheers to all,
Andy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.