Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldbergs new Anniversary Edition Cub ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldbergs new Anniversary Edition Cub ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldbergs new Anniversary Edition Cub ARF

Brought one of these home today to assemble for my LHS. Nice bright color scheme that should be easy to see. Once I go through it I will post a few Pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23329.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	341670  
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldbergs new Aniversary Edition Cub ARF

About time, does it come in a clipped wing version?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
CCRC1

No, I don't believe so.[&o]
Old 10-20-2005, 04:44 PM
CCRC1

Ok, got the digital camera battery charged up.
No broken anything that I can find on the airplane. The covering is definitely above average, seams are straight, no bubbles under the trim colors and none of the framework is distorted. All control surfaces are straight, no warps that I can find. Typical of most ARF's on the market, a bit of sanding prior to covering would have produced a much nicer finished product, but this one is a bit better than most. (I just finished one of Goldbergs Skylark ARF's that was full of grain, glue marks and dings that really detracted from the final finish[&o])
The airplane comes with a fiberglass pre painted cowl with both right and left cylinders molded on. I found no cracks or deformities. The airplane instructions have you mounting the engine inverted, thats why both sets of cylinders are molded on the cowl. I may look at changing that as I am not a real big fan of inverted engines.
The only negative comment that I have so far is the sloppy paint job on the inside of cabin area. The cabin interior is painted gray, and the window trim area is painted white to match the covering. The assembler at the factory allowed the white paint to run all down the inside of the cabin on top of the gray[:'(]. With such a big wide open cabin, it will be immediately noticeable. Nothing I can't correct with some Aerogloss dope though.
I built an Anniversary Edition Cub about 10 years back and I still have the plans. I believe this ARF is pretty close to the original in construction.

Name:	Ki20076.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	341683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18567.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	341684  
Old 10-21-2005, 10:32 PM
CCRC1

Spent a couple of hours with some white and gray Aerogloss and got the cabin looking the way it should have been done in the first place[:-].
I pulled out my plans for the Anniversary Cub and it looks to be pretty much the same airplane. The servo tray is different as are a few other odds and ends but for the most part, its the same.
I saved the rib template when I built the original kit so I may scratch out a spare clipped wing for some aerobatics

Name:	Zx71476.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	342145  
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Goldbergs new Anniversary Edition Cub ARF

Wow! That looks like one colorful airplane....too bad it isn't a Cub[&:] because we all know Cubs are Yellow

Jerry
Old 10-21-2005, 11:12 PM
CCRC1

ORIGINAL: tailskid

because we all know Cubs are Yellow

Jerry
Thats exactly why I decided to keep it! I will be able to see this airplane flying from the next county, and telling top from bottom on a hazy day will be a breeze.
I have a NIB Saito .65 I have had for some time that I think I will use for the Cub. Should be just about right for this plane.
One other item I discovered that I didn't like, was it came with standard wheels[] No big fat Cub wheels to shoot touch and goes with on the grass strip[&o]. A trip to the LHS fixed that
Wouldn't be a Cub without the big fat rubber.
By the way, the airplane is also available in the traditional yellow color for those die hard Cub fans.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:13 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

I have a NIB Saito .65 I have had for some time that I think I will use for the Cub. Should be just about right for this plane.

It's an awesome engine for this, or any 1/5 scale-sized Cub. Perfect amount of power for normal flying, with a fair reserve. I power my 1/5 Sig with the .65 (inverted, BTW) plenty for the 10 pound plane. I also have a Hangar 9 80" with floats and a .72(also inverted). Even at 11-1/2 pounds, the .72 is way plenty.

That's a great looking color scheme, enjoy flying it. Post some in-flight pics.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:52 PM
CCRC1

Khodges, thanks for the feedback, I was wondering if anyone had use the .65 4s in this size Cub. The airplane is rated for .40 to .60 two stroke and .40 to .90 four stroke. I am not interested in flying mine like a pattern ship, but more scale like. A nice easy, late afternoon touch and go airplane. I have other airplanes that I can use to hot rod around with.
The one I built years ago had an O.S. .40 FRS and I remember it had plenty of power.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:35 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I like the color scheme. I wonder how much it will cost.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:14 PM
khodges

I use a 14-6 MA K series prop, and the performance is perfect for what you want. A 13 would give you more revs, but what's the point? It will take off at just more than 1/2 throttle, and cruise at 1/4-1/3 throttle. I can fly over 18 minutes with a 12 oz tank, shooting T&G's, and land with 1/4 tank. The plane really sounds great , just like the full-scale, just puttering by. What is the projected weight of your plane, and what is the wingspan?
Why don't you like inverted mounting? I know a lot of negatives have been said about it, but the Saito runs great upside down; just remember that you may need to lower the tank a little, and access to the glow plug may mean adding a remote glow charger attachment. 3 of my 4 operational Saitos are inverted, 4th is sideways (5th still in box) they all run fantastic; I use 15% Cool Power Heli fuel ( 17% all synthetic oil)

Name:	Bz78056.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	342493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75032.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	342494  
Old 10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
CCRC1

Skypilot one, I paid 189.99 for mine.

Khodges, I think I will try the inverted setup, that way I don't have to hack up the cowl.
I had an inverted two stroke set up years ago and it was a pain. I have observed the four strokes are much more tolerant to this set-up.
The wingspan is 76 1/2" (744 square inches) and the projected weight is 7 to 7 1/2 pds.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:00 PM
PlaneKrazee

That sounds like a good price. This would be nice on their new arf floats.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:06 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just saw one today at the LHS and its a beut! Might consider it if I dont get the CG Decathlon

matt
Old 10-23-2005, 06:15 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

INVERTED 4-STROKES

I have inverted the following engines with no problems!

Saito 150, O.S. 91, O.S. 120, ect........

I have found that they all run fine inverted, however be carefull when go to prime the engine that you don't flood it! Also you may have to lean out the low-end carburetor adjustment, when they are idling. I have a Midget Mustang with a 91 Surpass and it works fine. Just keep an ear out when your at idel, not to let the rpm's get to low as mine will load up and eventuallllllllllllllllllllllllllly flame out!

It use to really tick me off, when the old crusty guys would flat out tell me, you can't mout an engine inverted. I did it just prove them wrong. I feel the way many of you fell, that having a hacked up cowling looks bad. Here's a picture of my latest mouning. Magnum 61 inverted in a Super Decathlon (GLOBAL)

JUST MY 2 CENTS!

Name:	Qn38241.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	342762  
Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 AM
mimoore67

Hey Guys! I just looked up on Fiberglass Specialties website and they make a Super Cub Cowl for Carl Goldberg Cub, so if this ARF is a copy of the kit, then you can bash a standard J-3 into a Super Cub, just add flaps!

Hey, someone measure the width of the fuselage, where the gear mounts. If it's 5 and 1/8" wide, then you can use this Robart scale gear. http://www.robart.com/RoboStruts/Cub_gear.aspx

Just my 3 cents worth, Cubs are cool, but Super Cubs are really cool!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 AM
PlaneKrazee

mimoore67,

The Robart website states it will not fit the Goldberg.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:41 AM
mimoore67

I got so excited, that I completely over looked that! My Bad! Anyway how wide is the goldberg cub at the gear attachment? Anyone? Anyone??????

I still may build up a scale gear, or modify the robart one!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM
CCRC1

mimoore67,
Its 4 3/4" wide.
The Goldberg Cub is really a stand off scale airplane, kinda between 1/5th and 1/6th scale.
I do like the idea of turning it into a Super Cub, I may try that.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 AM
LSP972

CCRC1,

I put a Sig Smith Mini-Plane cowl on a Kyosho Cub some years back; looked super... (sorry, I couldn't pass that one up )

The H9 UltraPaint is a close enough match to UltraCote to use for a sport job. They have apparently got the worms out of the formulation; I used five different cans of it (True Red, Midnight Blue, White, Silver, primer) on a Kougar I did last year. It went on great (especially using the hair dryer trick) and is holding up quite well. This airplane is my #1 grandson's buzzard chaser, and gets flown a lot...

A Super Cub Cowl with those Dubro Cub wheels ought to look dynamite. You can side-mount the engine too...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 AM
CCRC1

Hey Steve,
You know what!, I think I have a Smith Mini Plane cowl at home
Working daywatch today, when I get home I will check my big box-o-stuff that you might use one day. This one is easy to paint, all white with no graphics.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
mimoore67

Hey, if you want you can contact this vendor and he'll probably have a scale gear for you guys!
http://www.piperj3gear.com/
Old 10-24-2005, 01:06 PM
LSP972

IIRC, the CG and Kyosho Cubs have pretty much the same fuse dimensions. I built the Anniversary Edition back in 1987 or so when it came out (the Kyosho was done in 1998, an Xmas gift from #2 daughter; it was the pink one. I had to build and fly it, of course, and was desperate to improve the looks), and now that I think about it the Goldberg might be a tad larger.

Anyway, if you do have the cowl, and it does fit, it looks great; even better than a proper PA 18 cowl, IMO.

We'll need pics, of course...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

About time, does it come in a clipped wing version?

My understanding from the Tower's site is that this red white and blue version is the clipped wing variant. There is also supposed to be a regular version in the usual yellow and black.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

Hey, if you want you can contact this vendor and he'll probably have a scale gear for you guys!
http://www.piperj3gear.com/
I own a set of his gear; they are on a 1/5 Sig and they work great, look great. I just did a comparison thread of his and the Robart gear in the r/c scale forum. It sounds like the CG Cub is too narrow for either brand. Both are 5 inches wide, and the "V" strut prevents them from mounting any narrower than that. It wouldn't hurt to ask Wallace, though, he might be able or willing to modify a set for you.

Name:	Hf98606.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	343415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82697.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	343416  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.