Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
perche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Problem: covering falls of during fligth.

Solution: Trim tape, and chance the red trim for a better brand.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58309.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	691174  
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 AM
elvir

Hello it is Elvir from Croatia.
I have a corsair 120 with a Zenoah 20 ei . I had lots of fun installing there retracts, after all the work the plastic broke on there retract . Then I found a website in Germany where they make a retract for the corsair from cmp , so I ordered them and installed them they were mechanical each retract used it own servo. I flipped the plane on the first take off attempt the wheels turned outwards, and then did some work on them. second attempt was nice got it in the air flew very stable went to land again the wheals turned again and flipped it on landing and damaged the tail a bit, totally redesigned the retract put then in and went for a 3 flight got it in the air and about I foot and a half and lost control nose went straight down. After reading previous post found out that other people have problems with the center fiberglass section of the wing. it has bin on the self for a month , when I feel up to it I will cut open the center section of the wing and add more wood and laminate the wood to the fiberglass so it will not move , now I have about 2 in of play on each side of the wing tips. Some one posted that they used robart 615 in the corsair, is it a problem for the 615 to take off from grass.

Name:	Ig12990.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	699782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74860.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	699783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76040.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	649.6 KB
ID:	699784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95384.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	699785  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
nubrnchld

I need a landing gear for a giles cmp 140 i only need the pilots right landing gear but will get the set if need be.... can you help
Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 AM
kennettalex

I am building a CMP model of an P-40 (50 size) and I was told the CG is incorrect according to the book. The book did come with an insert with 95-100mm CG correction. Could you please tell me if this is correct??

Kennett
Old 06-19-2007, 10:10 AM
kennettalex

Currently building a CMP model of an P-40 (50 size) with 90 deg rotating gear and I was told the CG is incorrect according to the book. The book did come with an insert with 95-100mm CG correction. Could anyone please tell me if this is correct??

Kennett
Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
AK Models

We have them in stock.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:00 AM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

I acquired the CMP YAK 54 1.40 last year but didn't have a 4-banger large enough to haul the fat-ass bird. The fuselage on this beast is huge!

Anyway, I now have a well used 150 Saito to bolt up to the nose and want to fly the airframe.

Here are a few of my challenges:

No manual-no CG reference-no initial throw recommendations
Cracked cowling
Spindly 2-piece landing gear and mounting block

Here are my work-arounds:

Read more postings to find the proper CG
Order a replacement cowling*
Use a surplus Goldberg Sukhoi26MX aluminum landing gear, (14 oz and sure to help with balance issues)/insert a 3/8" ply gear block

*I went online and ordered a replacement YAK cowling and was WAY impressed with the price, delivery speed and QUALITY of the fiberglass. The packing was secure. (a GREAT start to the project).

The previous owner of the YAK used all the stock hardware and the tailwheel. I've stripped all this off and tossed. I'm replacing with Sullivan products including their tailwheel arrangement.

I liked the manner in which Goldberg's Sukhoi secured the wing halves to the fuselage and will be replacing the spring-eyelet affair in the YAK with something similar to the SU26.

Does anyone else have issue with the lilac-coloring on the bird? I just can't wrap my eyeballs around this finish scheme. Maybe if the shade were darker? Looks like something a woman would fly, LOL...(sorry, no sexism intended)

I'll probably post the landing gear conversion walk-through and the installation of pull-pull wiring on the rudder. I hesitate to bolt a heavy tailwheel like the Klett on the plane. The fiberglass is way-heavy as it is back there already.

Anyone willing to provide an accurate CG and throw recommendation for the YAK? I know I said I'd scan all the postings to get this but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

PM

Name:	Ca81248.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	709163   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42955.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	709164  
Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM
PointMagu

Here's what was accomplished today:

I mounted the firewall spacer by countersinking the bolt holes and adding 1/4-20 blind nuts to the inside rear. I used steel bolts to add weight up front.

Next I cutout the cockpit tubs and smoothed the lines with my Dremel drum sander. Not much weight savings but I like being able to see into the radio compartment through the canopy.

The landing gear plate is glued to the two ply bulkheads just aft of the firewall. These aren't the most durable of supports so I set about reinforcing the whole shee-bang. I removed the triangle stock and the 1/4" square spruce stringer that had been epoxied in an attempt to secure the plate better to F-3. I carved these out and then cut a 3/8" ply cover plate. This was epoxied over the stock plate with 30 min.
I flowed additional epoxy around the whole assembly to assist in securing the fiberglass fuse sides to the plate(s).

I then c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y sawed another 3/8" ply plate on my band saw to give the Goldberg SU26 landing gear a foreward rake. This was done by holding the piece on end and feeding into the blade on an angle. I cleaned it up on my belt sander, drilled for the 1/4-20 nylon bolts and set it all aside. As mentioned before, I tossed the stock YAK 2-piece stock gear legs.

Here are the photos that illustrate what I'm talking about:

PM

Name:	Ec88060.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	709395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75437.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	709396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47519.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	709397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81692.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	709398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43099.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	709399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe63335.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	709400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd28636.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	709401  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex is the prop jet mig gone from your product offering ?? Did not see it on the web ??
aslo when will you develope the mig into a ARF , you know we are all waiting !!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
JERRY MCMILLIN
My Feedback: (1)

Can you tell me about your first flight of yak54/120 fromCMP?
ALLSO THE flying wate of the modle.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Garthwood

Hello AK................Interested in the CMPRO F4U CORSAIR 120, to purchase and build this kit in a few months. From many threads that I read about this warbird is the concern about the (1) Wing flexing at the gull with high temperature. I understand that dark colours absorb heat. Flyers suggesting to keep them shaded. (2) When hinging (I like to use Robarts hing points) is there any balsa in the trailing edges and leading edges of the flying surfaces beside the foam and sheeting, and fg., ?. I have read that a few people gave the tugging test after hinging and the hinging came apart. Regarding the above two issues have they been resolved for this model, in regard to future manufactured Corsairs ?.

I am sure that there are many pilots that are holding back from buying this great flyer because of these issues.

Charles.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM
PointMagu

Quick update photos:

PM

Name:	Xv64869.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	737823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63588.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	737824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47926.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	737825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf49429.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	737826  
Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM
greyfoxx

I echo what Volfly had to say about Yak 140. A beautifully built model, slick as a cats-gut, with the only things keeping it from being a superb model are those he mentioned and the one that I encountered (although it is a bit on the heavy side, causing many who build and fly this model to add a lot of weight to the nose). I eliminated a lot of that problem by mounting my engine as far forward as it would mount on the engine mount, putting the back plant of the spinner some 1 to 1-1/4 inch forward of the cowl (look at the attached photo of the full scale Yak). This is an alteration that should be mentioned in the directions (mine was an exploded view plan, something else that could be improved) as an alternative as well as mounting the receiver/servo battery and throttle servo forward of the firewall, to adding a lot of weight to the nose. I'm running a 6 volt, 2000 mah battery, OS 160FS and a Perry Pump, and my plane weighted in at 13 pounds without the benefit of any weight removal process. Unfortunately, I have yet to get in a complete flight due to an engine run problem. It did however fly quiet well (not overly fast with an 18/6 on the 160, glided forever, showed no tendancy to tip stall, not overly sensitive on low rates, and only required a minimum of trim with the CG set at 138 to 140 mm.

One other thing that I encountered in addition to what volfy mentioned was the glue joints on of the formers that the landing gear mounting block is attached too had no glue in the joints between the landing gear block and the former in front of and behind the landing gear block, and were all attached to the fiberglass fuselage. What they had was what appeared to be a bead of glue at the junction point (in the corners where they attached to one another) of each joint from a glue gun. On my Yaks maiden flight which resulted in a hard landing due to a dead stick landing, it snapped the right landing gear, and damaged the fuselage when the landing gear block and the former it was attached to in front of and in back of the landing gear block pulled loose with no damage to any of those wooden components. After repairs, and a little fiberglass reinforcement after those components were re-attached with a good coat of epoxy between all components and the fuselage, no more problem.

Also, the yellow is somewhat difficult to see in the Western Kentucky summer haze, so here's what I did to dress up the bottom of the airplane (that's the part we see the most of anyway) so it is more easily seen.

Keep up the good work! I think the CMP Yak is one of the slickest models and has the prettiest color scheme; and many in my flying club have said the same thing. Several have shown a lot of interest in the CMP products as a result of seeing my Yak. Now, if I can just get a grip on my engine run problem and remember that, "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson sometime later!"

Phillip

Name:	Pn36731.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	752659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34718.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	752660  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
reincarnate

Finally got a chance to give my new CMP Extra 300s 140 a good once over tonight. I've built Arf's from most of the major brands, and from my first impression, the Extra looks to be pretty good! Same old same old as far as weak points, but in general, a very tight model. The upgrades in the Extra (perhaps CMP wide) apparently show that they are at least attempting to put out some old fires previous models have started. More later.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 AM
flyer35
My Feedback: (33)

Does anyone have the CMPro 80" Zero 50cc size.I have a Fuji 43 eti looking for a home.what retracts did you use and did you beef up the rails. I have a CMPro extra 300 140 stars and strips and love it I put a OS 1.60 with pitts and it flies on a rail.Dead sticks are no problem. Toss the hareware and wheels directions are adequate CG is right on.I did land hard and bent the landing gear aluminum L-bracket in the fuse It was a bear to remove but replaced with ply and aluminum flat stock, glassed back in, works fine
Old 11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
windsurfer
My Feedback: (37)

Hi there,

I received my 71"ws Zero from Raidentech today.
It is a beautiful aircraft; a lot of workmanship has appearantly gone into it.
When I examined the wings, I found out that the factory put a right wing aileron to the left wing.
Now, I have 2 right wing ailerons. I emailed Raidentech twice, no response!!!
I called their 800-number twice and waited over 20min each time, no response!!!
Can you send me a left wing aileron please?

There is also a serious issue regading CMP. The company's reputability has been degrading considerably in RCU because of the present US distributers which do not provide any customer support. Can't you filter/select better distributers in the U.S. to represent you?
Please notify Raidetech/Nitroplanes people their customer service is a BIG JOKE and the 800-number in their website is insulting our intelligence.
Because of the poor customer interface in these companies, I tend to either switch buying ARFs from hobby stores where you can find a person on the other end of the line (with a higher price, of course) or go back to kit building.
I would like to hear your response.

Many thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 AM
bigbird007

Hi Alex,

I've just finished the CMP Lancair 360/MK2 50 and thought I'd know my impressions.

First, the metal hardware is mostly junk, I've had screws twist off, set screws strip with light tightening etc. This is not a big deal as I mostly use my own methods anyway. If they are going to include it, it should at least be serviceable.

Second, the nose wheel pant included was one of the main gear pants - This is likely due to poor quality control at the assembly point, again no big deal as it could be made to work.

I didn't have much trouble with the "manual" but I could see how someone with less experience could.

All in All it's a great looking model, I hope it flys as good as it looks.

Name:	Om34590.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	796630  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 AM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: LDM

Alex is the prop jet mig gone from your product offering ?? Did not see it on the web ??
aslo when will you develope the mig into a ARF , you know we are all waiting !!!!
MIG is still available.
I have tried to have this kits made in to ARF, but to my surprise, Chinese little hesitant to touch them due to complexity, I thought they would do anything for $.
I have not yet given up; will have to look harder for the right manufacturer.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 AM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

Hello AK................Interested in the CMPRO F4U CORSAIR 120, to purchase and build this kit in a few months. From many threads that I read about this warbird is the concern about the (1) Wing flexing at the gull with high temperature. I understand that dark colours absorb heat. Flyers suggesting to keep them shaded. (2) When hinging (I like to use Robarts hing points) is there any balsa in the trailing edges and leading edges of the flying surfaces beside the foam and sheeting, and fg., ?. I have read that a few people gave the tugging test after hinging and the hinging came apart. Regarding the above two issues have they been resolved for this model, in regard to future manufactured Corsairs ?.

I am sure that there are many pilots that are holding back from buying this great flyer because of these issues.

Charles.
I have seen some threads about wing center section problem, BUT they are several years old.
I believe latest models have this problem solved… correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 AM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: windsurfer

Hi there,

I received my 71"ws Zero from Raidentech today.
It is a beautiful aircraft; a lot of workmanship has appearantly gone into it.
When I examined the wings, I found out that the factory put a right wing aileron to the left wing.
Now, I have 2 right wing ailerons. I emailed Raidentech twice, no response!!!
I called their 800-number twice and waited over 20min each time, no response!!!
Can you send me a left wing aileron please?

There is also a serious issue regading CMP. The company's reputability has been degrading considerably in RCU because of the present US distributers which do not provide any customer support. Can't you filter/select better distributers in the U.S. to represent you?
Please notify Raidetech/Nitroplanes people their customer service is a BIG JOKE and the 800-number in their website is insulting our intelligence.
Because of the poor customer interface in these companies, I tend to either switch buying ARFs from hobby stores where you can find a person on the other end of the line (with a higher price, of course) or go back to kit building.
I would like to hear your response.

Many thanks.
I believe when CMP gave NITRO-Models (same people as Reidentech) exclusive rights to sell CMP products in USA, CMP has made a HUGE mistake! Nitro-Models have promised to sell 1000 kits each month - It is a very high number.
If NITRO will offer no support at all, eventually they will not be able to sell so many kits, and CMP reputation because of this will go down to where it was when Giant Scale planes had the exclusive rights…

Your post is right on, I wish CMP reps have seen it.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I spoke with Alex at AK Models, and yes HE answered the phone, I like that...!!! Just ordered the CMP 83" Zero from AK Models, $280.00 FREE shipping..($329.00 plus shipping from Nitro) Also ordered the Century Jet retracts he recommended with complete support kit for $290.00 from Century Jet retracts P/N 32199 (not on their website yet, spoke with Charles Donovan-a real person). Going to install an FPL 45cc gasser, comes with ignition and muffler for $175.00 direct from Hobby City.com, CNC Machined. looks real nice, pre-run and made by an actual modeler, pretty good reviews. Hell the retracts are the most expensive items, wish those Chinese manufacturers would get into making retracts (pnuematic style). Looks like a pretty good Warbird on a budget...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Alex I dont know what it is with the inner circle but the CMP /Flymodels/Willshobby ect seem to pick duds as exclusive distributors . Wills has a half decnet product but they were killing us with there ebay seller "NewYork grace , then you have nice people like Jackie at CMP and they pick Nitro Rc ?? I just dont get it .
I even know that Willshobbys was talking to the original distributor of CMP for sales in the USA lol , talk about the blind leading the blind !!!

I hope you get the kits done as ARFS , they are by far the best flying and looking lasor cut prop jets planes in the business
Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 PM
PA BEN

ORIGINAL: AK Models

Same as above, also will offer pre-sale.
Now, let's get back to thread's intended use: Problems and solutions ONLY.
Thank you all for your feedback.
WHAT ARE THE THROWS FOR THE GILES 202 140? Plans didn't come with them.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
PA BEN

Who is this guy? He must not check his thread much?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Hitech1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: PA BEN
WHAT ARE THE THROWS FOR THE GILES 202 140? Plans didn't come with them.

I have the same problem with the Quest 50, NO THROW DIMENSIONS, plus it is kind of vague on how to get the right and down thrust on the engine. From other threads the CG listed on the plans is wrong, could be anywhere between 125mm and 135mm, depending on what thread you read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.