Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

new seagull 540 3d?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

new seagull 540 3d?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 AM
BMiracleTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new seagull 540 3d?

I wouldn't recommend trying to switch wires.......I tried switching two wires in a servo before and it shorted out, melted the wire and the servo case and almost burnt up the wing of the airplane I had just put the servo in......

With the y's, you just plug it in the elevator slot of the receiver, then one servo into one y and the other in the other y. I believe there is a little circuit/microprocessor/something that actually processes the signal backwards to the servo. The servo actually gets the signal as if it was reversed on the transmitter. They are fairly cheap....maybe $15 for the y and reverser.

I searched Tower Hobbies and found this one......I know my local hobby shops carry these, so maybe you won't need to order one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN1&P=ML

My advice though.....pay the money and get one...it is cheaper than ruining a servo trying to switch wires.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks! .25 oz. isn't too bad for that reverser. I thought once I read that there was a possible problem with them, but I sure don't remember what it was. Looks like a slick deal with my transmitter anyway!

Ernie
Old 02-12-2006, 08:19 PM
BMiracleTX

Check your local hobby shop....I just picked one up today for my Edge for $8.99...........
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
jonkara2003

Just picked up a New Seagull 540 3d... I hope it flies as good as it looks....I also bought a new Saito 125a four stroke to put on it... Has anyone else tried this combination? How does this new version fly? Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
BMiracleTX

Hey jonkara

nobody has one done as far as I know.............mine is still waiting for me to finish my UltraStick............
Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

I started building last night. I went with ca hinges and dubro hd hardware. I'm still trying to decide on using the carbon fiber or 4-40 rod. The lengths are very short and I don't think there would be any real weight savings. Also, I will try some futaba 1" aluminum arms and see if I can get 40-50 degrees of deflection just in case the need for 3D sets in . Installed s9451 121oz / .10 sec digital-coreless-metal gear servos in ail,elevator locations and s9350 139 oz- .12 sec for rudder deflection. I'll try to shoot some pics tonight

mike
Old 02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Ernie Misner

Mike, that should be an awsome build. Did you get more $ in the servos than the plane?

Ernie
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 AM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

I know with most Hitec's (not sure about the digitails) you can open the servo and reverse the two wires on the motor, and two of the wires on the position pot, and you have a reversed servo with no additional weight or cost. I've done this many times, mostly on hitec 605's and 425's. Works every time, just have to solder them right. Never had a failure.

I have a Magnum 1.08 with a pitts muffler (both never used) and I think they just found a home. Maybe I can get one for a little cheaper at the Wram show this weekend. I almost bought the original Seagull 540 a couple years ago, but then found a good deal on a used H9 540 with a 1.60FX in it, so went with that. I need something a little smaller, and the two piece wing and fiberglass parts for this price sounds like an awesome deal.

Let's see some flight reports!!!

Steve
Old 03-13-2006, 09:34 PM
jonkara2003

Let's see some flight reports.... has anyone flown this plane yet...
Old 03-31-2006, 02:50 AM
yagigain

I ordered a Seagull 540 a couple of weeks back after reading about the new one. Previously i have flown only smaller electrics, like the Wattage extra 330L, PC-9 etc, but the little sport scale electrics all much the same ... fast and twichy

Anyway I asked 2 times, in 2 phone calls if the edge the shop had was the new edge with the 68 inch wing and both times I was told yes it is (which was a surprise because no one else in Australia had a new one). So it arrives today and guess what ... its the old version with the 64 inch wing + they charged me $25 more than quoted aswell

It does look good though and now I am debating if I should try to send it all back and try to find the new version again (or something else ) or just keep.. Basically I am looking for an excuse to keep it !

Is there any way that the older version is better, or is the new version way better ? I'm assuming that the new version has a lower wing loading, which would probably be better I guess ..... I have the weekend to decide ..... decisions decisions.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Squinty1
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Ive got one of the new Edges with a saito 125 in it. I bought the airplane already built with a magnum 91 4 stroke and I changed it to the saito. It`s got really good power but I have to add 8 oz`s of lead to the motor mount with all 3 servos in the back and a 2 cell lipo right behind the firewall. Total weight is 9.25 lbs. and it flies really really good and LIGHT. I would recommend putting a pull pull on the rudder somehow to get it back down to 8.75 lbs. I love the plane the way it is and the fa125 is the smoothest saito that Ive ever had or seen. For scale and 3d its just an awesome 60 size airplane.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Working on it right now...almost done. I'm waiting on a OS .91 (2s) to come in for power and will swing a MAS 14X6 prop.
Have changed a lot of things in it and hope will fly good.

dc