Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

The consistency of ARFs

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

The consistency of ARFs

Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The consistency of ARFs

I'm building a pair of Goldberg Extreme 330's today. Tower has them real cheap and I have found this plane to be a good, sturdy practice plane capable of withstanding lots of abuse. So I thought it would be fun to build them together and maiden them the same day. I'm doing two because its a bit of a drive to my field and when something breaks it would be nice to just grab another plane and keep working on the same stuff.

Anyway, Both planes arrived in great shape. Covering looks great and is well sealed. Glue joints are good. Just well done examples of this design. So then I started assembling and I instantly realized the covering on the wing ( sunburst design) is off by about a half an inch on one of them, meaning the sunburst pattern comes together to one side of center. The pair of access hatches on the bottom of that wing are also off. When I removed the covering from where the wing glues to the fuse I can plainly see the sheeting comes together on center like its supposed to. Somebody at some factory just got a bit off that day. The other one is fine. So both my planes are perfectly straight, one just looks like a wing half is longer than the other because the covering is off.

I know, Goldberg is Lanier these days. i also know people love to bash the quality of ARFs. That's not at all the point I'm trying to make. both planes were built very well. Good quility wood was used and it was glued well. The parts on both are straight and fit well.

I'm just trying to say we need to be very careful to measure everything to insure a straight, good flying model. Just because these things are put together in factories doesn't mean they are the same, or that everything will line up as you think its supposed to. I wonder how many ARFs are flying out there with odd tendencies that are due to nothing more than the "builder" not taking time to make sure everything is straight.

Once again, I'm not trying to start a war. BTW, this is nothing new. Those of us that have been doing this awhile remember replacing wood in kits, etc. all the time. All I'm trying to do is remind folks to measure and double check everything. Once you buy it, its your plane. It will only be straight if you make it that way.

Now I gotta get back to those two planes

Dave
Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: The consistency of ARFs

Aero i'm with you on this

some ARFS can be really bad... and it might surprise some people that $ does NOT mean better quality!

i have 2 ARFS from Cermark (Pitts & F16) > the more expensive Pitts has very BAD finish quality, the f16 is better but not great...

the best ARFS i have are the Zero & Super Chipmunk from the "cheap China" production and guess WHAT! THEY are just woderful!!!!!!!! nice finish and detailing.... so go figure

from now on, i am NOT ordring any ARFs over the net, i check the contents of the box first & then i pay if i like....
Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 PM
AeroDave

I hear ya.

Remember, I'm really not focusing on ARF quality here. Just our need as builders to take care of business when assembling. It would have been easy on the first wing i glued this morning to take the position of the hatches as a guide for alignment, but then I would have had a crooked plane. Its only off by a little, but enough so you can see it. I'm really happy with both kits. I think they're great quality. I've just never had such a graphic example of how different two examples of the same plane can be.

Measure. Take your time. build something that will fly well.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Dave:
I to agree with the words of wisdom that you are saying. I have had many ARF's from GP, to Hanger9. It takes a little extra time to beef up and keep things true. Sorry Dave hows this

Dave
Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
AeroDave

So anyway, any more comments that are ON TOPIC?