Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Majestic 1400

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kyosho Majestic 1400

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 06:39 PM
nosram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Majestic 1400

I have been lucky enough to recieve a Majestic for Christmas. I am looking for advice regarding motor, servos, CofG, control throws for both pattern and freestyle. I am considering either an OS50sx or Saito 72 for power. Standard Futaba 3001 all round. Is there any advice on 2 seperate elevator servos, instead of a split pushrod.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:01 PM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

I had this plane until recently (crash :cry: ). You're going to love it.
I was running an OS 46FX and it literally flew like it was on rails. I was a bit concerned about the elevator pushrod myself. I replaced the stock single dowel with Y rods for a double rod carbon fiber setup. It was rock solid and much easier (for me)than a dual servo setup. I replaced the rudder and aileron dowel and pushrods with CF also.

I made the mistake of using SIG 2-56 Golden Clevises on the stock 2mm pushrods. They fit good and tight at the time so I did'nt give them much thought and forgot about the US/metric discrepancy.

On about the fourth flight, the rudder clevis separated from the pushrod and she rolled over and headed for the ground. Being only about a half a crash high, that was all she wrote.

So I never really got a chance to wring it out. But the way she flew with the 46, your 50 will be perfect.

Here is a review that may be of interest
Old 12-27-2002, 11:47 PM
nosram

Thanks Jeff, The OS 50sx it is. What servos were you using? The review looks good, thank you. What control throws were you using?
Old 12-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you need the OS 50. Mine has the 46FX and has unlimited vertical. I did replace the rudder pushrod on mine with a carbon fiber unit because the stock one was bending and changing the rudder trim. In my opinion, this is the best flying 40-size in its category, period. Mine also has std servos, except for an HS-81 on throttle. No need to go with separate elevator servos. Let me know if you have any other questions about this plane, flying or otherwise.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:41 AM
Flyfalcons

One word of advise I forgot to mention was to bend the tailwheel bracket back a little, and bend the main gear together a little to achieve a higher deck angle while sitting on the ground. I found that sitting stock, the plane couldn't get a high enough angle of attack while on a grass runway to get a smooth liftoff; more like it just popped off. If you are flying off pavement then you should be okay. Use the stock CG position.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:49 AM
nosram

Thanks Ryan, did you find the wheels too small and spats a hinderence flying off grass. I have considered putting larger wheels on, and leaving off the spats. Our field at Sparks is not the smoothest, and I'm concerned about it nosing over on landing, or take off.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Flyfalcons

Believe it or not, no! The stock wheels work great on the thick, rough grass that I fly off of and the plane has absolutely no tendancy to nose over if you use some back elevator. My wheelpants held up well, but I didn't tighten one of them and it fell off in flight, so now I'm just using the stock wheels. The main gear may seem a little flimsy but in the event of a hard landing it will absorb all of the impact, saving the lower fuse from damage. Oh, you'll want to go over the trim with an iron, as the sharp leading edge corners will want to lift a little. This thing does point rolls that look just as good as a 2 meter ship.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:00 AM
nosram

Thanks again, have you got yours set up for F3A or 3D style flying, or both. Have you extended your ailerons upto the fuselage, as the guy in the review did?
Old 12-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Flyfalcons

I have my plane set up for F3A on low rates and 3D on high rates. I don't have 45 degree elevator throws; to get that you will probably have to go with dual elevator servos mounted in the rear. So my 3D flying with this plane is somewhat limited. It does wicked blenders, beautiful slow knife edge passes, and torque rolls that are easily controllable. With my 46FX and an 11x6 APC prop I can't really climb out of a hover, so if you're into that then you may want to go with the 50SX. I'll get my plane out and let you know what my throws are for F3A and 3D. I have started practicing the intermediate schedule, and will enter a few contests with it this year in hopes of shaking things up a little with my plane that cost me less than their engines do.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:31 AM
Flyfalcons

Okay, here's what I came up with (I'll do anything to fire up my new 9CAP!)

Elevator: 5/8" low, 20% expo. 1" high 35% expo.
Rudder: 1 5/8" low, 35% expo. 2 1/4" high, 45% expo
Aileron: 5/16" low, 25% expo. 3/8" high, 35% expo.

Any more rudder on low rate will cause overrotation on snaps. It is still plenty to do knife edge flight and crisp stall turns. A faster servo may help you here, but there is really no need to go any more than that. I also have a mix of low throttle - 1% down elevator to make the downlines perfect. I added a small amount of right thrust and a very small amount of down thrust to make the verticals perfect Every time I fly this plane it just gets better and better. Maybe if JohnVH is reading this thread he can attest to how good this plane looks in flight.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:56 AM
nosram

This plane just sounds exactly what I want. I have a Ripmax Extreme Lite( which I reviewed last year for RCMW in England) and a U Can Do 3D. The Extreme has an OS46FX, it lacked authority in the verticals, and powering out of Harriers. I put a Weston UK pipe on it and that transformed it. Its now a delight to fly. I use a JR 3810 and have yet to figure out how to change all rates with just one switch. I seem to remember it was possible on my FF7. Right now I have to change 3 switches....maybe I need to dig out the manual. Thank you so much for the help, and encouragement to get it in the air.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:38 PM
Flyfalcons

Just took these shots, hopefully they'll provide some motivation. When the weather gets a little better then I will get some shots of some low knife edge passes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44209_12146.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	27025  
Old 12-31-2002, 11:40 PM
Flyfalcons

Name:	44210_12146.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	27026  
Old 12-31-2002, 11:50 PM
SAS902

Nice pictures! I have got a Majestic 1400 that is still "under construction", but it is getting close now. Mine will be powered by an OS FS-52.

If you know how much yours weights it would be interesting to know.

We have got 1 ft of snow and 10 degrees F over here, so any test flying is some time away right now...

Krister
Old 12-31-2002, 11:58 PM
Flyfalcons

Krister, I will try to weigh mine on an accurate scale. If you go with a Nimh pack and a mini/micro servo on throttle then you should have a very nice performing aircraft. I think many people are turned off by this plane due to the price, but if you want the best in this class of plane then this is it.

By the way, I did not secure the canopy with glue - I just used the provided 3MM screws. This will allow me to add a voltwatch at a later time.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:32 AM
nosram

Ryan, nice pictures. Lovely scenery in your neighbourhood, where is the snow Have you mounted your motor 'side_winder' as opposed to having the exhaust exiting underneath? Probably a daft question, but I haven't started building mine yet.....got to finish the replacement U Can Do first Also need to get the OS50FX as well
Old 01-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Flyfalcons

Here's how I have my engine mounted. The engine doesn't mind running at a 135 degree angle, and the exhaust fits perfectly underneath in the cutout. Sorry about the pic being a little fuzzy; I was having a tough time holding the camera with one hand while steadying myself with the other. I cut enough cowl behind the engine so I could just reach in with my finger and pull out the fuel tubing. I place my fuel filter right where the tubing comes out so to fill it all I have to do is pull the tubing off the filter and start filling.

Name:	44222_12146.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	27027  
Old 01-01-2003, 06:55 AM
SAS902

I am really looking forward to the first flight. I made a Majestic 1400 for RealFlight G2 and have been flying it there quite a lot. If the G2 model is accurate the real one is a very nice aircraft indeed.

First time in 20 years of flying R/C where I have actually logged simulator time on a new plane before first flight.

Krister
Old 01-01-2003, 11:30 AM
wolf123

hi boy
for elevator i mounted a kato device with bb
with an hitec 5945

Name:	44298_14425.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	27028  
Old 01-01-2003, 12:36 PM
wolf123

and for engine i use YS FZ63 with hatori pipe

Name:	44299_14425.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	27029  
Old 01-01-2003, 03:02 PM
nosram

Looks like nobody is using the wheel spats
Old 01-01-2003, 03:23 PM
wolf123

yes if you run from grass, but if you run from asphalt you may use wheel spats
Old 01-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Flyfalcons

I was, and they worked pretty well. However, I should have tightened one of them before taking off, and it ended up falling off. I'm actually happier running without the wheel pants, because I don't feel obligated to walk the thing all the way out to the takeoff spot. Without the pants the plane tracks very well across the grass.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:54 AM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

I ran larger wheels on mine, without pants. Actually, I ran the pants until I had one flip over on me on takeoff off of grass. I had an enya 80 four stroke on mine, turning a 13/7 APC prop. It had unlimited vertical at about 2/3 throttle, and was capable of knifeedge from one end of the field to the other, and large (900 ft) knifedge loops. I bent the gear in to give more prop clearance. I ran standard 3003s on the ailerons, and hitec 225s on the rudder/elevator, and a mini on the throttle. I also ran a 2 wire pull pull on the rudder, and a 4 wire pull pull on the elevator. Do a search on the majestic, and youll see the pics on how it was wired.

All up weight was 5 1/4 lbs. CG was right around the published on the website.

It is not intended for 3d work, as the control surfaces (aileron and elevator halves) arent large enough to do it easily. Yes, it can be done, but it will snaproll its way out of a TR in a heartbeat, and not recover without alot of altitude. It is meant to fly with speed, to keep airflow over the wing. It will do the coolest tumbles and knifeedge spins I have ever seen.

I used flaperons and airbrakes(spoilerons actually) on it. The spoilerons actually kicked the ailerons upward about 10 degrees, which planted it on landing, especially in the wind. I tried flaps, but it got too mushy and wanted to stall.

As FlyFalcons said, it will hang with a 2 meter plane on knifeedge. Just make sure your canopy is attached very evenly across both sides of the fuse. It will fatigue a little if screws are used.

This pic shows the high rate throws. I lost it due to a servo glitch on the right aileron (actually overdrove the linkage and stuck it).
CG was close to the published one, and low rates were the published rates.

I want another one, I would just hate to pay retail for one new. I got mine used, and recovered it. I want to find one, strip it, lighten it considerably, and run all mini's and a tt36 heli motor on a mousse can pipe tuned for upper midrange power. With an APC 11/3 or 10/4 prob, it would be a blast to fly at 4lbs (which I think is doable with enough strategic lightening, and a 4 oz tank, and small nimh battery)

Just after I got mine, GP announced the Venus. I think they copied my trim scheme ;D

Steve

Name:	44480_721.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	27030  
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
coolbet

Hey, Ryan: I just bought a Majestic from a friend. Unfortunately, no manual was included. He said he had one, but cannot find it. I wouldn't have bought it knowing there was no instruction manual. Is there a link stated in your manual where I might get one? I'm a little stuck without one. I could probably fudge the plane together without it, but I'd rather not. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.