Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Paramount 52/70

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Paramount 52/70

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:48 PM
CaseySP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paramount 52/70

I've just about finished one of these too also with a Saito 72 in the nose. I have left all the radio gear in the original position and it balanced in the middle of the CG range with the battery hard up against the fuel tank. It went together very easily - I used the factory thrust lines to mount the engine as recommended in the manual and it all lined up perfectly with the cowl. I have also installed a Cline regulator in the nose. Probably an over-kill as the tank position is fine for the inverted installation but I like the consistent running and set-and-forget tuning they offer particularly with inverted four-strokes. This set-up worked brilliantly in my Sportsman Aviation FW190 with an on-board glow triggered off a micro switch on the throttle servo.

After the notoriously bad covering on Sportsman Aviation's warbirds, the covering on this model has been a revelation and I only had to get the iron out when sealing the cutouts for the aileron servos and the hinge gaps.

It's yet to fly - I have also had competing priorities on the domestic front.

One thing I will be doing is leaving the spats off but fitting bigger wheels. Our club moved to a new location and the strip still needs a lot of work before I de-mothball my retract equipped planes.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: CaseySP

I've just about finished one of these too also with a Saito 72 in the nose. I have left all the radio gear in the original position and it balanced in the middle of the CG range with the battery hard up against the fuel tank.
What size battery pack did you use, D cell? I put mine togethor by the directions also. I only decided to move the servos when I had to put so much nose weight on to get it to balance in the center of the CG range.

Interesting.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 PM
alvarogn
My Feedback: (4)

I ended putting an APC 13x8 and a tru turn 2in spinner. I ckecked the CG and had to move batteries (expert 1500 NiMH) under the fuel tank, this made the CG OK at close to the max 3.5 in recommended. I must say that it might had helped me with the CG using the landing gear and 2.75 low bounce tires from my 46 U-cando (lost in low hover ). I also put a 10 oz sullivan tank.

Ernesto allowed me to test fly my plane on Sunday and it is a nice bird. A couple of clicks of trim to the ruder and elevator and the plane flew nice even in gusty windy conditions. I must say that it just takes between 1/3 to half the trothtle to fly this airplane. After 12 minutes of flight I just used about 1/3 of the tank.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Salty25

I'm sure that helped out, using the tru turn spinner, for the balance. I used a regular blue spinner and had to put a heavy hub in the nose.

I did get to fly mine today. I put three flights on it, did a lot of running my mouth at the field.

The plane flew good, but I had to redo the trim on it a couple of time. I think it may have been the wind. There was more wind at altitude then there was near the ground. Not really an issue since I have to play with trim on a couple of my planes when I fly at certain times of the day.

For the $80 I paid for this one; I'd say it's a keeper. After a few more flights I'll be fully comfortable with it and start doing stupid stuff.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:02 AM
CaseySP

ORIGINAL: Salty25

What size battery pack did you use, D cell? I put mine togethor by the directions also. I only decided to move the servos when I had to put so much nose weight on to get it to balance in the center of the CG range.

Interesting.

I only have the standard JR 4xAA cell 1800 NiMH pack. What may be different between our aircraft is the engine mount. From your earlier posts it sounds like your engine is mounted quite close to the firewall (but without pictures sans the cowl its difficult to tell). My kit came with a different type of engine mount to that in the instruction manual (and an amendment page explaining the difference) - the engine is mounted with almost a full inch between the carby and the firewall or 2" between the engine backplate and the firewall. I tried to post pictures to show the engine mount but I can't seem to be able to (the forum might not be compatible with Macs).

I've also got an aluminium spinner but its only a spun one (World Models) and wouldn't be any heavier then a plastic one.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Salty25

- the engine is mounted with almost a full inch between the carby and the firewall or 2" between the engine backplate and the firewall. I tried to post pictures to show the engine mount but I can't seem to be able to (the forum might not be compatible with Macs).
Mine had the same amendment in the manual. I played around with the engine and mount before I actually drilled and bolted it down. I wanted to make sure I get the shaft centered in the hole on the cowl. I had to put the intake about a hair off the firewall to get the spinner plate to clear the cowl, and the cowl is about a 1/4 inch from the edge of the nose of the fuse. That made setting the throttle cable a pain in the tailbone, but I got it to work.

I actually thought I would have throttle problems when I took it out but it worked just fine. I had to add a bit of trim to get an idle, it was too low. Now I need to set my throttle cut so I can turn off the engine with the radio.

I used a foour cell AA pack also, Sanyo 750 NiMh. Maybe it's your position on the triagle of the prime meridian, the nearest pole and you. I know mine is a bit obtuse... but I learned to live with it and know how to adjust. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Hope you enjoy the new plane.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Salty25

I tried to post pictures to show the engine mount but I can't seem to be able to (the forum might not be compatible with Macs).
Sometime when I can't get a pic to post I have to decrease the size little. The MB size is right but if I decrease it by 4% it will go. Again the location on the triangle.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
CaseySP

Found a workaround [8D]

[link=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362749_30_full.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link][link=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362749_32_full.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link][link=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362749_31_full.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link][link=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362749_33_full.jpg]Click for fullsize[/link]
Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Salty25

I see your cowl is just on there. I guess that's where the big difference is between the two.

Did you get to fly it yet?

Is that an old ice chest you chopped up for a build stand?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:27 AM
CaseySP

I see your cowl is just on there. I guess that's where the big difference is between the two.
Yes - its as per the instructions - step 32. The screws are 1/8" back from the edge of the firewall. I was a bit concerned that there wasn't much overlap but if its in the instructions it must be right. Right??

I've had problems before of cowl screws backing out and being lost somewhere over the circuit. These days I bore out the holes to take a short length of nyrod inner. The screws then thread into this and are held nice and secure.

Did you get to fly it yet?
Nope - last weekend was very windy and wild. Winters hanging for a bit longer yet - snow on the hill tops today. This weekend I've promised the wife a holiday at the coast. So it won't be happening for a little while yet.

Is that an old ice chest you chopped up for a build stand?
Its an old polystyrene vege box (beans). Pinched it from the back of the local farmer's markets. Good for carrying tools and such to the pits. And the price was right [8D]
Old 09-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Salty25

I'm sure if I move my engine forward a tad I would be able to balance it better. I have the room up front to slide it forward and the space on the fuse to bring the screws up a tad.

But my thought, I've flown it and it flies good... so why tinker. Of course I'll tinker with it later. Don't we all.

I bet the price was right; lift and run.

Enjoy your holiday and you better make the wife happy.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Salty25

I flew my paramount again today. I took my WM T34 out also, just finished building it yesterday.

I only got to fly the paramount once, but I did get two flights on the T34. My fuel pump went out on me. I guess after six years it is time for a new one.

Typical NV weather for the next week. Sunny, clear and hot... so guess what I'm doing this weekend and most of next. Breaking in my new fuel pump. [8D]