Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 04:22 AM
Cappie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall Concerns

OK, DF MAN,

as you said, hot glue hold the firewall in place, I don't know how fuel proof hot melt is.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44509_16270.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	27231  
Old 01-02-2003, 05:37 AM
RC2K3

Default Pilatus PC-9, VMAR or Seagull?

Hey Cappie,

It looks like youve got a different wing mount there. The one that I looked at had 2 balsa blocks running down the sides about 1 1/2 in with triangle stock giving them support. My instructor has a seagull and that was the first thing he strengthened.

BTW: Stop sayin how crappy VMAR is you guys are makin me nervous

I found some more info on vmar as well:

VMAR kits are being re-launched with a revamped range and new format to make these ready built aircraft even more enjoyable to build and fly! Not only has the existing range been improved but VMAR have also found time to introduce some more exciting models, from sports models to 90 size scale aircraft! The rest of the VMAR range has not been forgotten in the major overhaul. The same popular models are back, but now with even more balsa and some even get the new ECS covering system! The VMAR range covers every possible model your customers could want. Whether it is a trainer to learn their first circuits, a scale model for those without the time to build such detailed aircraft, or a stylish aerobatic model, VMAR has something for you!

SALES HIGHLIGHTS

Colour display boxes – main components laid side by side, not on top of each other. Great for showing to customers without disturbing the packaging. Detailed instruction books in newest designs. The discovery trainer is very good, with easy to follow instructions for novice modellers. Spare trim film to cover up any minor damage to the covering. Large sheet of receiver wrap included with latest generation kits. Rubber bands included with trainers with band mounted wing option. PA plastic used for most mouldings for additional strength. Not so white as PP plastic seen in some kits but has greater strength. Removable plastic servo tray pre-fitted in fuselage. R/C installation is a dodle! Snake pushrods are now a feature of VMAR kits, giving more direct, slop free controls. Pushrod exits are pre-cut and faired with a plastic cover. Most other kits still need the film to be removed from the exit hole! Tailplane and fin slots are pre-cut and sealed. Most other kits still need the covering to be removed, which invariably means further work to seal the covering with a heat iron. Cast alloy mounts feature proper socket headed bolts, not just easy to burr Phillips screws. The correct size Allen key is supplied so that the engine straps can be properly tightened. Nose leg bearing also features a socket head bolt for attaching the steering arm to the leg. No more sloppy steering! Latest VMAR kits are covered in German sourced film which is more stable in sunlight than the Chinese sourced covering used on many other kits. This means less slackening of the covering at high temperatures and fewer bubbles in storage – and fewer complaints for you too! VMAR wings are built in one piece and band-sawn through the centre rib before covering, making them properly matched pairs. The Slightly rough-cut from the saw ensures a good bond when joined with epoxy. Wings are joined using two alignment dowels to ensure that the panels are joined properly. The Covering is wrapped around the centre ribs and sealed for extra security. With some brands the film is just trimmed to the edge of the wing sheeting and can easily lift in flight. VMAR models are supplied with proper aerial exits. With other brands you’ll be lucky to even get a filmed over exit hole! VMAR kits use proper pinned hinges, which are pegged for extra security. All VMAR kit boxes show the weight on the box. Some other brands do not, possibly because they don’t want to draw attention to how heavy they are! Scale details and colour trim are printed on the covering film at the VMAR factory. Much neater and cannot lift off in flight unlike some other brands which use conventional overlapped film. Those overlaps between different coloured film can also be very unsightly. VMAR scale models include a generously detailed cockpit with pilot figure(s). With many other brands you’ll be lucky to get a pilot and the canopy will usually need sticking on. With VMAR models the canopy is already stuck on giving a professional, secure finish

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 05:39 AM
RC2K3

Ho, btw Cappie did you get a 40 page colour guide to "a career in the RAAF" I didnt and when I took it back to my LHS I dont think they beleived me when I told them
Old 01-02-2003, 06:01 AM
Glitch

G'Day DF Man
Keep it a secret but web site seagullmodels.com lists the 'phone number of Seagull Models as :
84 (for Vietnam )
8 ( For Ho Chi Minh City )
Have a feeling it's the other half of the VMAR factory !!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 06:14 AM
RC2K3

I think theres something going on over there......
Maybe these birds come from the same nest!
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 AM
RC2K3

Heres some detailed pics of the VMAR:

Name:	44541_19870.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	27232  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 AM
RC2K3

And another:

Name:	44542_19870.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	27233  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:28 AM
RC2K3

Down inside fuse looking to tail:

Name:	44543_19870.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	27234  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:29 AM
RC2K3

Looking at 1st firewall:

Name:	44544_19870.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	27235  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:30 AM
RC2K3

I dont care what people say I like the panel detail, If you put it on youreself it probably would look really bad:

Name:	44546_19870.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	27236  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 AM
RC2K3

Proper tail surface , not like tucano:

Name:	44547_19870.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	27237  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:32 AM
RC2K3

Nice scale landing gear, are those dubro wheels??

Name:	44548_19870.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	27238  
Old 01-02-2003, 06:33 AM
RC2K3

Removeable second firewall or as VMAR call it the "POWER MODULE" My trainer had a removeable door to get the tank out and I dont know what I would do without it, this looks like it is almost as convenient

Name:	44549_19870.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	27239  
Old 01-02-2003, 09:15 AM
adrian-RCU

i am sure seagull/vmar/blackhorse and a few other brands come from the same factory there are just to many similarities between them. i don't mind as long as we see the improvements to the planes as of late.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:39 PM
troyp

DF MAN,

Take my advice and make sure you add some stripes to the bottom side of the wing on your PC-9. The top and bottom sides are exactly the same and if you become inverted you may not realize it. I know this because I crashed a PC-9 on its second flight because of the same reason. I didnt realize the plane was inverted and up elevator caused it to hit the deck at full speed. I didnt even have time to relaize what was going on.

Im glad to hear you went with the VMAR......Always trust fellow Aussies.....Actually as Marshy pointed out it seems the guys in the US are against the VMArs but us Aussies are for them. Wonder if they are manafactured in two different places or something??
Old 01-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Cappie

Default Wing Mount Seagull PC-9

OK,

Looks like they are now using two 1/8" or I guess 3mm dawl rods for the front mount of the wing and two nylons holding the wing from the rear....

Those front pins are very small.

Michael

Name:	44578_16270.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	27240  
Old 01-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Cappie

Default Color History Book

Hey DF MAN,

They only book I got was the instruction manual that has a one page history included.

The only color is on the front of the manual.

Michael

Name:	44579_16270.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	27241  
Old 01-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Cappie

Default Continued Fridy

I have to drive to Austin this morning....will talk at ya'll Friday...

Michael
Old 01-02-2003, 02:27 PM
adrian-RCU

we have never had a wing dowel or something of that sort of problem.
1. back elevon flutter at speed- fixed with nyrod strengtheners, one end to other.
2. flutter- replaced the wooden push rod with ALU/tube and metal push rod.

nothing else but human error has had our pc9 on the ground its atleast one and a half years old and has had oubout 5 repair jobs three of them major- so ours has only gained a little weight
P's. on of our friends had a big one damaged the wing looked around , found that the Texan a6 wing was 99% the same except for it becoming a tail dragger so now we have a pca6 flying around and pretty well as a t/draggie, looks a little funny the red body and then the yellow wing, Aussie colors mixed with US colors how about that.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:20 PM
BlackHorsearegreat

Default VMAR PC9

Got a VMAR PC9 myself here in good old blighty, in the Swiss Air Force scheme. Not flown it yet (bloody weather!), but have been well impressed with it, no problems here. 2 of the UK magazines have reviewed the PC9 in the last month, after reviewing it a while back and commented how much better the build is, how much better the supplied hardware is, and how well they fly.

Another mag reviewed the new VMAR RV4, and was raving about it.

DFMAN, I can scan these reviews and upload them to my site if you like, sure these will put your mind at ease. As I said, I am more than happy with the quality of mine.

Name:	44624_10013.jpg
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	27242  
Old 01-02-2003, 09:22 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All:

A few posts back I recall someone suggesting two different factories produced these things, I think that must be the case. One place building the good ones for GB, Israel, and Autrralia, another making them for the USA. Or perhaps they just send the rejects here. I can not believe you people elsewhere would be so much more easily satisfied than we in the USA. Even Cappie has pointed out many weaknesses, if not errors, in his Seagull supplied plane.

Glad that Seagull and Vmar have you pleased,
. but my desire for either has ceased.

Bill.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:29 AM
RC2K3

Wow CAPPIE you did not receive the 40 page color guide either?
It says right on the front of the box "40 page color guide to a career in the RAAF" My instructions were all B&W
BTW: Try drilling out the rods and replacing them with brass or alli. tubes. Would'nt that across the fuse thing holding the wing mount screw nuts get in the way of the aileron control horns?

charlatan it would be great if you could scan them in for me but as everybody knows nearly every plane gets a good review at first and the mags dont seem to do any follow ups.

Troyp, that is a great idea since this is only my second plane.

PC-9 is 8 days away!!
CANT WAIT! :bananahea
Old 01-03-2003, 12:42 AM
RC2K3

I was just thinking, what kind of engine would you guys recomend? Ive got a TT46PRO on my trainer but I was going to use that on a hack plane to throw around the sky. I was thinking of a 4 stroke even though they cost allot more than 2 strokers. Can I use the same fuel on my 2 stroke as the 4 stroke? I run 20% coolpower and only 5% Nitro. If I cant raise the funds for that I was thinking GMS MAX47 any comments on that engine?

Thanks for all the input you guys
Old 01-03-2003, 07:38 AM
adrian-RCU

tt46 a good choice ,fits well pulls it well. the 4s is a little big except if you use a 52 but then not near enough power. on the fuel i never use or mix my 2s and 4s fuel but you can.good reports on the gms47 but of late the new mag46XLS/ASP/SC IS THE CAT AMONG ST THE PIGEONS. i am sure you get the Ching engines down under. check them out their cheap and good, just run them in properly!!
Old 01-03-2003, 08:06 AM
RC2K3

Ive liked the supertigre since I saw it, one of the pros at my club had a 50 in his skydancer and it ran for 3 years without any problems. This included being thrashed by 3 different pilots! I think we mostly get the Chinese engines but I could get an Italian made one if I looked hard enough. How much of a price differenc is it between the 2? Also would I be right to expect the italian engine is of more quality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.