Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:37 AM
roofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twist 3D 60 ARF

I gues its got more to do with the type of flying you whanna do I started of nose heavy and gradually as my flyin improve with particular plane move it more tail heavy personal choice. With tail heavy I mixed in some flapperon for landings it works great otherwise you can land like a helicopter
Old 06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
aa2dd

hey outa .........

I have my cg at 5.25" ... had her at the field yesterday for the 2nd time. With Saito 100, it flies great. It will hang on prop with no problem at this cg. all you gotta do is hit the "SWEET SPOT" and it will hang there just about motionless. With it set at 5.25, it lands sweet. only thing wrong with this plane that i have found so far is it flies so good, it makes me think that I am a lot better pilot than I really am ....... BIG TROUBLE ... almost lost her a couple of times. it got so wild that i thought i best put her away before i went completely nuts and did trash it! this is my 3rd one. the first two bit the big one because i set the cg at 6". flies okay, a bit squirrely set there, but a bear to land, and ultimately you WILL crash her at 6"

Bruce
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the further back the CG was the more nose heavy it is. Hence, 3/4'' back from 5.5'' would be slightly more nose heavy and easier to land. Moving CG further up on wing chord (forward) would make it tail heavy and a bear to land. I've got mine set at 5.5'' with 6v battery tucked right behind cockpit. As you say....bear to land with elevator ultra sensative but 3D shines.
Should be easy to land set at 6''. More input?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 AM
roofer

You mesuare from leading edge of wing so further back is tail heavy say 6" and 5" wil be more nose heavy - take a pencil + get balance point ad weight to front end then you must move balance poin further forward or oyher way round same principal apply on plane cg
Nice flyin
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 AM
patnjimtucker

Hi AA2D. I have a question for anyone in this group that has experience with CG location. As I recall the factory spec is to set the CG between 5 7/8 and 6 1/4" aft of the leading edge. (Just going from memory)

Thinking that further aft is better for the maiden flights, as a nose heavy plane is easier to control than a tail heavy plane I made my maiden flights last summer with CG at 6 1/4" and I found it very difficult to land. So through trial and error and some help from this site I moved the CG forward to about 5 7/8" and found the plane to be much easier to control. So I am at the front edge of the factory recommended range.

Now it appears that you are telling me that going even in front of the factory recommendations that the plane flies even better. Are you suggesting that we go to 5 1/2" or 5 1/4".

Or is it the case that the 3D flight is better, but the normal aerbatic flight, or the landing, slow speed flight is comprimized?

Can you please elaborate. I am ready to take my 60 out next week for her first flight of this season and perhaps I should be adding some nose weight. Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated. I seem to recall that there was a guy in the London, Ontario area that had a lot of experience at the 5 7/8" area. Are you still there. Sorry I forgot your name.

Jim Tucker, Midhurst, Ontario Canada
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
roofer

At the moment my cg is at 5" (125mm) from leading edge the reason my son is now advansing from his trainer to the t-t 60 at this cg location plane fly + land easier than his trainer got a os 91fx on so dont need to ad weight just shift battery as far forward as possable it al depends on your flying style at 5" cg with ful tank it doe prop hang but the longer you fly emptier tank the better it starts to hang. With sg at 6 1/4 you need to mix some flapperon to help with landing
Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
pilotpete2

Jim,
At 5 7/8" from LE mine was quite tail heavy, and very hard to land
The further back the CG, the more tail heavy the plane, making the CG closer to the LE will make it more nose heavy and easier to fly.
At 5 1/4" to 5 1/2" from LE will make it handle more like a sport plane.
Pete
Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Colyn

Hi Keith...adjust your C.G to exactly 150mm behind the L.E inverted on a balancer measured at the fuse sides, make sure the model is balanced laterally.....I bet it is out (heavy on the left wing by 3/4 ounce) and make sure you are getting full deflection, you did not say what you were using for servo's !!! make sure they are man enough for full deflection factoring in the prop wash and air!!!!!!!!
I have at least three gallons through mine now and more than thirty flights it is dialled in to perfection and the easiest plane I have ever flown at every AND ANY attitude take off and landings are almost an eyes closed experience as the plane is so predictable, the wind was up last week probably 20-25 K did a three pointer and zero forward speed just plopped down so gently AWESOME!!!! Happy landings...Colin...oh by the way mine will inverted flat spin and take forever to lose altitude and hovers @ 1/4 throttle almost hands off!!! Knife edge is a bit of a handful however try going from a hover into K.E it is easier to hold because there is little forward speed plus it looks cool taking off stright into a three foot hover then into a K.E the lenth of the field and a vertical climb out of sight into a inverted flat spin followed by a three pointer stop and take off again....this has become my flight routine Colin.

this a reply earlier in the thread, the Madien should alweays be done with a forward C.G setting the c.G to the forward locaton makes it easier to fly and futher aft harder, but easier to 3D. I had 2 60's and a 40 and now have the 150 with a gt26 Evo gasser, I flew my twist 60 with the C.G set to 150MM and it would do everything, and still fly pattern type flying. With the c.g too far back its a handful to land because the elevator is so sensitive it ballons really bad, if your not careful landing slow and it balloning will also lead to a stall and ....well a two piece plane...i know i have been there. The second Twist 60 i had flew awesome and like I said would anything....if you can't hover the twist 60 then give up trying it's that easy to hover them...hope this helps...Colin.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 PM
aa2dd

my 1st twist 60, i set the cg at 6" or 150mm. I used a tower hobbies cg balance. when i flew it, it was so tail heavy that when you try to land, it would ballon up to harrier attitude, 45 degree plus some, and float till it ran out of speed and dumped, or a gust of wind grabs it. was trying to land and it was gusty. ..disaster .... broke in half. bought twist #2. balanced on the balance at 6" again. same crap .... try to land, nose balloon up to 45+ degree angle and float till it either ran out of speed, dumped or the wind got it. i then programed in slight air brake with down elevator to land. worked okay. but a pia when doing touch n goes .. then tried landing with out air brake again one time .... nose up ...float...45 degree ...wind gets it ... break in half again. Not only gets the plane but also tears up the Saito 100.

It is not just me. ... go back through all the posts ... many, many people *****in about the same thing. I can guarantee that when you are in the nose up 45 degree attitude, 1 or 2 feet above the ground, just above stall speed trying to land, and the wind is gusty, you are NOT going to recover it if the wind gets under the wing and flips it! Sooo when i got twist #3, after corresponding with a couple of guys here, i took their suggestion & balanced at 5.25". now very stable .....a blast to fly...... will about land itself so gently it barely bends the grass over.

If anyone wants to balance at 6", go for it. Horizon hobby just loves you to keep buying new ones, and balancing them at 6". It's a good deal for Horizon. I have .. figuring travel, sales tax, Saito 100 parts for repair caused by crash, about $500.00 invested and have one Twist to show for it. The twist flies good at 5.25", but it hain't that good!

Bruce
Old 06-09-2007, 11:47 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Guys....thanks for clearing that up....I'm so wrong and you're so right. I only check the balance when the plane is new. From there on I add nose weight or tail weight according to how the plane flies....never giving much more thought to the physics of it or the numbers. For this plane I simply shift the battery to balance. After some thought...I see I expained it wrong and hope I didn't mess anyone up.
Currently, I running an O.S. 90 Surpass 4 stroke without pump spinning an APC 14x4w. Checked my balance and I'm at about 6'' from leading edge...no weight anywhere needed. Hovers like a dream, flatspins are impressive. I've not tried knife edge yet. During level flight I have to keep it slow and use a heavy thumb on down elevator or the nose will balloon and quickly slip into a hover. This isn't hard to do until it comes time to land. As aa2dd mentions it harriers like crazy while attempting to land. Suggestion: for a plane set up like mine, pick a calmer day to fly and keep your speed up and grease it in. Landings are much more uneventful. Elevator will be sensative but I got used to it. Flying my plane like this after about 20 flights and no damage.////....yet.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
EEZY

Hey guys. I Had a twist 40 til I hit a guy wire on a neerby tower. I have the Evo 61 nt, and would like to know if it would be enough power to get buy with on the twist 60? Also what prop size should I start with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93213.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	703035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11968.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	703036  
Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
pilotpete2

I have the EVO .61 on mine and it's fine for my flying style. I use an APC 13-4, gives good thrust and lets the engine turn 12K static, which is pretty much in the middle of it's power band 11 to 13K.
Pete
Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM
lettucelord

Hey guys,
I have a twist 60 sitting in my garage... i want to get it going for this summer. What servo/4-stroke engine/prop combo do you guys think is the best for the plane. I like power, but I dont want to have to edit the planes engine mounting and that type of stuff, which I had to do for my Twist .40. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
EEZY

Hey thanks pilotpete2. That prety much made up my mind. Ill go ahead and get the 60. I can allways put a bigger engine in latter. Possably a super tigre 51 ringed with a davis diesl conversion.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:15 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: lettucelord

Hey guys,
I have a twist 60 sitting in my garage... i want to get it going for this summer. What servo/4-stroke engine/prop combo do you guys think is the best for the plane. I like power, but I dont want to have to edit the planes engine mounting and that type of stuff, which I had to do for my Twist .40. Thanks for any suggestions
Saito 1.00 is as big as the mfg recommends & if you read through the post's you sure do see a lot of variations
the aforementioned FA 1.00 is what I have in mine W/ 15x6 apc prop servos/ jr sport st125mg work great as do stock sport servos. the aile are quite large so a step up to some more robust sx is in order JMO.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
glowfuel

My CG is set at 5 3/8.

Tired of the balooning.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM
patnjimtucker

I remeasured my CG and found that it was at 5 1/2". It flies very good, easy to land, and I can houver for about 5 seconds. Perhaps need more practise. I am kinda caught between 2 worlds. I would like a little better 3D performance which would mean adding some nose weight or shifting the battery forward to try say 5 3/4 or 5 7/8". But then I would loose some of the gentle flight charcteristics that I love. And since I am over powered anyways with the OS 90 perhaps I will just keep it where it is. Thanks for all your input. I love doing endless rolls, inverted flight, loops, and out of sight unlimited verticals. I have been flying in the middle of a 600 acre sod farm, so I can really throw this plane around. Jim Tucker
Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
mingusbreeze

Saito 100 is the only way to go. Put the battery under gas tank and it will ballance out with no weight.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 AM
mingusbreeze

Put the Saito 100 in it and put the battery under the tank.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM
delman

If you add weight or move your battery forward under the tank, you will be moving your cg to 5 1/4 or 5. To go to 5 3/4 you need to move weight aft. If you like how it flys as it is, just put some more practice time during your flights.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

Lovin the twist ,here is a short vid of my .60 with a .40 twist & my wrecked skyraider
4th of july shot by a club member.
enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEFihWhfbbo
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Thomas B. Chong
My Feedback: (6)

Maidened mine over the weekend with a ST G90 and a 13x8 prop. It was just what the doctor ordered. Flew great and except for the first take off with 3d elevator rates that resulted in near disaster when I first pulled up, it was seriously relaxing and just pure FUN!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
lettucelord

For people who are just getting the Twist, and dont really know what engine to put into it, this is what I have in mine.
Twist .60 size = Saito 125 (its over powered, but that isnt a bad thing, it flies perfect, and slows down fine with the right prop for landing)
Twist .40 size = .60 size 2 stroke (Flies the same as the bigger twist)

Im guessing the plane flies well with what ever you put in it. Happy Flying

Oh has anyone been able to gain altitude while flat Spinning their twist, mine slowly looses altitude.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
NCIS

I just got the Twist 60 a couple weeks ago and have been flying it every chance I get. I love it. Mine has a .75 Super Tigre and a 15x4W APC prop. I'm using Futaba S3004 servos for it and they seem fine. It flies like it's on rails. The prop on it in the photo is not the prop I'm using.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61142.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	739001  
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
dutchalltheway

Guys...re-fresh my memory please...I am to balance my Twist 60 this week. I want it to fly as docile as possible. My 1st Twist 60 crashed right after take off, balanced at 5 exactly. She was real twitchy, and could not be saved[:@]. I am not interested in 3D flying (YET!!), just want to get used to the plane 1st. Where to put the CG??I do own a 40-size Twist, and love it!! Got the .60-size, since it is a lil bigger and I imagine very well to see in the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.