Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

RcDesi
nice job on the plane and pic's,looks a lot like mine,don't know how you did it i used the same standoff's as you and two 2500 5 cell on engine box and 4" spinner,no wheel pants,22-8 mejzlik with a da 50 stock muffler and mine CG at 7" can't complain it does fly nice there,just floats in for landing and very little down needed for inverted flight almost none.did the first BLENDER saturday with it,WOW!! slow and flat inverted flat spin,and doing walls it is just as good maybe better than the double vision.
ENJOY!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. It feels good to be done eh? I also have been working on mine since last November. They take time to do right.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
muri

Hi!
I'm going to buy the yak and I'm planing to use a MVVS 45MG with pitts muffer and 22x8 prop. Would be this engine enough strong for this plane?

Thanks!

Luka
Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 AM
closetguy

ORIGINAL: muri

Hi!
I'm going to buy the yak and I'm planing to use a MVVS 45MG with pitts muffer and 22x8 prop. Would be this engine enough strong for this plane?

Thanks!

Luka

if you use the canister setup that MVVS has for there engines you will have plenty of power!
ENJOY!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
JoeAirPort

I agree, that engine will be enough with the pitts muffler but even better with can or pipe. These planes are all coming in under 16 pounds (under 7.27 kilos). I have a ZDZ 50 NG, Supersonic pitts, and 22x8 JFX prop and it totally rocks.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM
closetguy

Joe
how's the 50ng treating you,any problems with starting?
ENJOY!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
JoeAirPort

Once you get the method it's a piece of cake. Just takes a good prime. It runs way better than the DA 50 I sold to buy it. The ZDZ's midrange is much better, runs awesome at all attitudes at all RPM's. No dead sticks. Once it's running there's no quitting on you in the air. Great power. I love it. I bought two. One's in a BME 30% Edge. That one is running just as well. 2 fo 2 ain't bad.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

My first post here, although I've been reading quite awhile. Today just received my Ultra RC Yak, already have stabs/elevators and both wings done, servos/control arms, ball links. Hardware in this thing is VERY good, and the turnbuckles are sure a nice touch. After getting a heads up from Brian at Ultra RC about the aileron hinge slot locations being off, I was ready with my GP Hinge Slotter and HD blades. Made quick work of a task that I absolutely HATE.

But the major surfaces are hinged, and the new "stronger", "faster" Gorilla Glue is really quite improved from the original. Have to say about 40-50% less foaming, but sets up much quicker. In fact, for hinging a BIG wing (I always do BOTH the wing and aileron in one operation), there was a little foaming starting before I was completely ready.

I am just amazed at the quality of construction, and the degree of refinement in the packaging and hardware. I will be hanging the Brillelli 60 on mine, with Hitec 5955's all around, so it should be just a fine setup.

Thanks to everyone here, I've read quite a bit preparing for this, and good info makes things better.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
closetguy

Aerobob
your going to like this one and with a 60 up front even better,mine flew flat and straight,just one click of up was all that was needed,this plane is one of the easiest to hover and lands like a butterfly with sore feet.
ENJOY!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Bob Pastorello

Most of my landings look like a june bug with broken legs, but appreciate your confidence!!! Hope it comes to pass.
All I have to do is fix the "stab tilt tube" thing.... but hey, it will be worth it, I'm sure. (Found that this morning)

ORIGINAL: closetguy

Aerobob
your going to like this one and with a 60 up front even better,mine flew flat and straight,just one click of up was all that was needed,this plane is one of the easiest to hover and lands like a butterfly with sore feet.
ENJOY!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
closetguy

i was going to mention that to check, but most guy's do look the plane over as you build,mine is off a VERY little,you can hardly see it,so i left it as is. and flys great! mine flys with no down when inverted and i am at the most aft CG,still lands great.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Bob Pastorello

I have been quietly building mine, and now have it nearly completed. Had some issues with the stab tube, but Brian at Ultra had a perfect solution/procedure, and it worked just fine. Fitting the cowling tonight, so only the canopy to do, then balance and final control travels.

Already ran it with the Brillelli 60, wings on, and it is going to be a HOSS.... maybe a maiden this weekend, if wx holds out.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Ultra RC is having an inventory reduction sale on all in-stock aircraft including this Yak... $100 off...

http://www.ultra-rc.com/

I too have been working on my 107"... I painted the inside of the cowl and the engine box/former F1 face flat black... Hinged and installed the control horns.

Am putting a BME 110 Extreme in it with dual canisters... I need to order the various goodies for it and finish a 50cc plane I have going... but then it's full steam ahead.

Aerbob... wowsers... that's some fast buildin'... Glad to hear you're alomost done... I forecast a frozen grin on your face very soon in your future...
Old 05-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Bob Pastorello

You're probably right, David. I have been pretty motivated to work on this one, for some reason...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:47 PM
JoeAirPort

I have many flights on mine and this thing is the total 3D machine if there ever was one. You should hear the comments I get from the field. People just love how it flies (so do I by the way). It does amazing things due to the excellent design and light weight. I thought my BME Edge was the 3D master of all 50cc aerobats...not true. This Yak is the total ticket. And for $100 off it's a good deal. I was lucky on mine, the only thing I had to fix was a few hinge locations on the wing and it was easy as heck. Go with pacer hinge glue, it's way easier to work with and cleans up with water. I use nothing else. My buddy used Gorilla and the hinge loosened up on the rudder.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 AM
closetguy

Yep, i agree with you on that one Joe,and like you said for the price you can get one for now it's one of the best top shelf yak's for the money.
ENJOY!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 AM
Bob Pastorello

I maidened mine this past Saturday. One flight, wx was sure not cooperating. Very nice performance, very precise, and did extremely well with the Brillelli 366GT in front.

Was also a maiden for the Spektrum-ized JR 9303 module, AR 7000 receiver setup. Everything worked very well, no issues.

Didn't even go to high rates... the low rates were pretty darn agile. Love the rolling and snap precision. Very nice airplane, I think. Looking forward to more air time.

Only issue was loss of a cowl screw, and loosening of others, but didn't use the neoprene grommets. Anyone had issues with cowling screws?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I have pretty much strayed away from using metal screws and blindnuts anymore on cowls... even with the grommets...

After fist drilling pilot holes with a GP dead center guage and using overlapping tabs... I cover the hole locations inthe cowl with CA hinge material... re-install the cowl and then re-drill for 8/32 nylon screws.

I tap the wood tabs with a netal 8/32 screw... CA harden.... and then re-tap...

I've never had a screw back out using this method.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61835.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	693525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52783.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	693526  
Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Only issue was loss of a cowl screw, and loosening of others, but didn't use the neoprene grommets. Anyone had issues with cowling screws?
Yes. I used the rubber grommets and the problem went away. Too bad I damaged the cowling with the screw coming loose in flight before using the rubber grommets. This light engine box vibrates a lot IMO. Just a trade off to the light weight.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 AM
closetguy

you know i thought the same on the engine box also after a few flights,i added a piece of 3/8 square hard wood to the bottom edge of box a long the fire wall and sheeted the intire box with 1/32 ply,a lot less movement now.one other thing don't you love how this thing does walls!!no wing tip drop at all,no matter how hard you go into them. and i had one dead stick after going into a blender,i made it a little richer on the low end have not had one sense. so fare i have not had any trouble with cowl screws,just used blue lock tight and gromments,that is a good idea David on the cowl.
ENJOY!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
choopi
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Just finished reading this forum, I want an airplane to replace my H9 Extra 260, that plane was realy deceiving, not good for 3D, in fact I don't know what that plane is good for, mine was all twisted, waist of time and money! Sorry about that.

The way I see it here, it look like this one should be a better ticket. I will be using a DL50 23x8 prop. How's the landing gear on it?

Anyway I was looking at QQ 86", and the Aeroworks Yak54 but I think that this one on sale should as good, don't you think?

Let me know!

Any advise is good.

Eric
Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

It flies lite and will 3d with no problem......another good plane is the new extreme flight 88" Yak.......In fact the Ultra is a copy of the first extreme flight yak.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
closetguy

choppi
it flies great,landing gear is good no problems,lands like a butterfly with sore feet.mine came in at 15-1/2 lbs. with a da50 and stock muffler.with the 100.00 bucks off it makes it one of the better deals around.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Its too bad I cant get my funds together,been looking at 50cc planes for a year,this one still seems to be the best bet for my style flying and at 529 its a very fair price.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
ULTRA-RC

Ultra RC would like to take the time to thank everyone for your support.

We are writing today to let everyone know our Inventory Reduction Sale is winding down. We have very limited supplies remaining, specifically, less than five 50cc Yak ARF's are available for immediate shipment.

Please contact us at 609-714-0040 or email [email protected] if you have any specific questions. We will continue to support these products and productions in the future.

Last, please continue to check our website. We have many new products in design and production which will be available very soon.

Thank you again for your interest and support!

Best Regards,

Ultra-RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.