Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

My 4 center wing hinges are off too. I wonder if all the surfaces are off or just the wings? I didn't check all of them. One thing to watch out for: One of the aileron hinge slots is right near the control horn slots. They will hit unless you move the hinge slot on the aileron.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tail surfaces seemed fine...

Good heads up on the aileron horn.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Are you guys using the CF servo arms that came with the kit or using aluminum ones like SWB or Airwild? Thing is you have to buy the aluminum servo wheels anyway, how much more is it to just buy the complete SWB/Airwild arm? Are the complete arms any heavier?

I have used the stock servo wheels on my Comp arf 2.6 and never had an issue with bolting the cf arm to the wheel.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

Did u guys get the "Rudder Servo tray + Doubler" mentioned on point 34 of the manual? My plane came with 1 thin peice of Ply (not sure whats thats for :-).

Also the manual shows a plywood covering for the engine box. Did u get that or its just cos the manual is a copy of the EF planes? (Even the Photos are not updaed & are of the EF planes !!!)
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I assumed the ply plate was the doubler for the rudder servo. It was almost a perfect fit. The motor box being finished was one of the changes from the EF Yak.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 PM
vfalcon7

Finally got to maiden the plane today. 15mph winds but still put it up. This plane rocks. Very light feeling, knife edge pulls very little to the canopy easily mixed out. Snaps are dead on. The plane rockets out of a hover. RPM's with the tuned pipe with a 23-8 was 7800. I will definately be putting on my 24-8 or 24-10. I am very happy with the plane can not wait to get it all trimmed out. Chance of snow up here in Boston cross my fingers it rains.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

vfalcon7
those are some realy good numbers on the da,so i got to ask what make of header&tunepipe set up,did you ever weigh the RTFW of the plane?
ENJOY!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
vfalcon7

Closetguy, I used the KS 1060 pipe with the 0 degree header from DA. I called DA to make sure I would not blow this thing up running at 7800 with the 23-8. They said stay with this prop and enjoy the heck out of the extremely lucky 7800rpm. I tell you this plane is great. I have the 68" EF and thought I would never get to fly a plane that light feeling. I think this plane flies even better. I did move my ignition battery from the engine box and put it behind the wing tube. You can look at my pictures a bunch of posts back to see where I had them. The plane came in right at 16lbs with out smoke system. I put the smoke system in and had to start moving batteries around.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

thanks for the info Vfalcon,glad to hear everything came togethere so well,and 7800 on that da the RC GODS are looking over your shoulder,best of luck to you!
ENJOY!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
RC_DESI

Anyone interested in splitting the ultracote covering costs?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
quist

I used clear for gap sealing.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
JoeAirPort

ME 2.

ORIGINAL: quist

I used clear for gap sealing.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Turbobruce

Well I started my yak today and I'm getting ready hinge it. Has anyone used the robart pin hinges on theis bird? These flat hinges are a pain in the ***** and they leave too much of a gap for me. So far I have found out that some of the surfaces are not even slotted yet for the hinges. Does anyone have any tips or techniques on using flat style hinges? I'm familuar with easy hinges and of course the robart pin style,but I have never tried to glue in the plastic flat style ones. So far I'm not overly impressed with this arf and I have put together at least 100 arfs. I'm not saying the quality is bad but I expected a little more I guess.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
AirWizard

Mine should be here tomorrow, hope the hinges line up and are sloted correctly.

Turbobruce, what were you expecting?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Turbobruce

ORIGINAL: AirWizard

Mine should be here tomorrow, hope the hinges line up and are sloted correctly.

Turbobruce, what were you expecting?

I guess the whole hinge situtation kind of burned me up. The plane is ok. I thought the cowl and the canapy mounting would be a little better. I would have like to see the landing gear predrilled as well. I guess I'm getting lazy after 25 years of building arfs.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 PM
AirWizard

Is the LG drilled at all?.....either axle or block area
Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Turbobruce

Is the LG drilled at all?.....either axle or block area

Nope!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 AM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

Did they even have ARF's 25 years ago?? If they did the quality must have been terrible!!

Marc 540[8D]
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
RC_DESI

ORIGINAL: Turbobruce
...So far I'm not overly impressed with this arf and I have put together at least 100 arfs. I'm not saying the quality is bad but I expected a little more I guess....
Exactly my sentiments.

For the money I paid + all the hype about this plane, I was expecting something better.

The hinges are not bad once u swap out some piano wire for the hinge wires etc. Used Pacer Hinge glue (for the first time) & its pretty easy to use. Was using Gorilla glue earlier for Robart hinges, which was a lil bit pain due to the expanding/oozing out property.

Overall, the hardware included is pretty good & I do'nt think I would be replacing anything. Yeah LG shd have been drilled (espcially with the Aluminium brackets all the way inside).

BTW learnt on this thread to be happy with what I got... SO NO MORE WHINING FROM ME

--Arvind
Old 12-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I certainly agree that there are some areas that need/will be addresssed with this release...

It is a premium priced aircraft and you shouldn't have to deal with the few issues that have popped up.

Still... when you look at the construction, covering, sharp bevels, CF items, paint... and of course all up weight... it's quite an awesome offering.

The errors on the hinge alignment are unfortunate, but won't sacrifice any flight performance... and the hinges could be replaced for a couple bucks.

The hinging issue is perhaps the most time consuming... I will put together a little video showing the use of the GP hinge slotting tool that makes rectifying this a breeze... as well as a simple step-by-step hinging guide for those that haven't used the flat-pinned hinges.

Flat pinned hinges have been a staple of giant scale hinging for many, many years... and the robart style hinges, when first released were known for many failures... not sure if it was material or design, or blocking requirements... but it's true... top builder's would swear off them.

Then as time ran on... improvements on the hingepoints and the easier adaptation to mass produced ARFs using drill jigs... brought them back to perhaps a higher popularity than flathinges.

Still.. Quique uses them in all his designs... he prefers them over the hingepoints.

Drilling the landing gear is a production call... the EF version (68" and 87") had to be drilled as well. The Quique 102" has the fuse holes but not the axle holes.

By drilling yourself, there is less chance of misalignment of holes... if it were pre-drilled... there is another avenue of misalignment.

BTW a quick tip is to wrap the area to be drilled with two layers of masking tape. This will help keep the fiberglass from splintering out the top or bottom.

Again, I am somewhat defending these things because I do see them as fairly minor inconveniences... and KNOW what the plane will do in the air.

Also the fact that they are Ultra RC's first batch... NOW that they know of these issues they can hopefully correct them in future batchs.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
quist

Maudib,

You just expressed my sentiments perfect.

When I drilled my gear and put an 1/8" brass tube in front of the gear against the former as a alignment spacer. This helps keep the airplane rolling straight.

I have flown mine and it is awesome.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Turbobruce

ORIGINAL: marc 540

Did they even have ARF's 25 years ago?? If they did the quality must have been terrible!!

Marc 540[8D]

The first arfs that I remember were the EZ series. Considering that I didn't have to build a plane from a kit(and only being 11 years old at the time), I thought they were great. I started building them in the early 80s and bought them from Hobby Shack which is now known as Hobby People.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 PM
AirWizard

The UPS gods smiled on me today received the Yak with no scars or dents. I had a check it out before leaving town and all I can say is WoW!!!!

I'm impressed with how lite it is.....makes my AM (TOC1) Yak feel like a tank, hope it flies as good.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 AM
xtdsm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will fly perfect. it will as a matter of fact spoil you and make you not want to fly anything else (at least in the 50cc class)

good luck with the build

Ahmed

The UPS gods smiled on me today received the Yak with no scars or dents. I had a check it out before leaving town and all I can say is WoW!!!!

I'm impressed with how lite it is.....makes my AM (TOC1) Yak feel like a tank, hope it flies as good.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
JoeAirPort

I don't care about the little things listed as concerns here. I have all winter to put this thing together so I don't mind the extra effort. If it were summer, then maybe I'd care more. This thing is very good quality, I am very happy. Anyone thinking about getting one, do it. The things listed here are not that big of a deal IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.