Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Well here's a new thread to discuss and share the building and flying of this 87" Yak.

I have one (actually two) and will be glad to share pics as I can... but wanted to get the thread started for those that will be/have received theirs and want to get building... I am in the process of moving and can't jump right on it.

This is NOT the place for political views or questions or comments. If you feel so driven.. go elsewhere as I hope this thread can stay on topic and useful.

I got to inspect mine the other day and it's quite a nice offering... it is nearly identical in every way to my EF 87" Yak and will buildout identically. You may find info on the EF 87" Yak thread very applicable.

So let's get this party started huh?

I'll be settingmine up with a DA50 and stock muffler, 5945's on elevators and ailerons, 5955 on the rudder and a smaller, fast servo on the throttle...

Will use a smartfly Ignition cutoff and regulator as well as a 4800 lion pack on receiver... 1100 mah or so nimh onthe ignition.

prop? 22x8 MSC or BME (now PAU)

Will use a white fiberglass spinner.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: Ultra RC 8" Yak Build and Fly

Anyone got the 50CC yak yet?

I got mine last Fri. The plane double boxed & was packed pretty well & arrived w/o any damage.

Plane looks exactly as in the pic.

Dry weight of the plane came out to appx 8.75 lbs. Follwing are the weights of the box contents in oz.

Fuse (bare fuse) 48
Hatch 8.5
Cowl 10
Landing gear (without axles etc) 10.5
Wheel Pants (bare) 3.5
Right wing panel 18
Left wing panel 18.5
Right elevator/stab 3.5
Left elevator/stab 3.5
Rudder 3
Wing tube 3.5
Stab tube 0.5
Tail Wheel assembly w/hardware 1.25
Misc Hardware 7

Initial impressions:

- Quality looks pretty good, no wrinkled in covering, everything looks pretty well glued etc.

- The wing tube looks pretty small (dia) & weight only 3 oz. Hope its strong enough for 3d flying ;-)

- Landing gear is pretty heavy (10.5 oz). I hope its strong ;-)

- The Fuse has tunnel built for a Tuned Pipe, which IMO make its heavier than needed. It would have been better to leave the tunnel assembly optional & just provide all the parts OR make lotsa lighting holes etc

- There was ONLY one decal set the "9lk54" for the rudder included. I was expecting more/better ones specially since it was emphasized that the decals included would be vinyl ones etc ;-)

I am assuming the RTF will beclose to 16lbs as advertised..

The box had a note that the Instruction Manual + DuBro items (Fuel Tank, Axles, Wheels etc) would be shipped later..

--Arvind

BTW I will also not be assembiling mine anytime soon, as have other things going on...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Maudib

My weights were nearly identical to yours... 8.8 lbs with the hardware still in bags... slight variances in individual items... Like my gear was 9.15 oz... And for strength... the gear is PLENTY strong and does not splay.

Oh... and changed the 8" to 87" tee hee...

On my other Yak I added 6.5 lbs or so to the loadout... so it ended up 15.5 without wheel pants... 15.75 with... VERY NICE!

Decals? We don't need no stinkin' decals... I plan on blinging mine out to the hilt...

The tunnel does add some weight... but I believe it also adds some structure to the fuse as well... As far as overall weight... I know this sounds crazy... but after flying my other one... I would not want any lighter... in medium winds it gets pushed around as it is...

It is SOOOO amazingly forgiving and recoverable that it's a plane you get comfortable with quickly.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Maudib

Oh... and the wingtube... is very strong... seeing this plane do the anuerysm and other VERY hard walls, elevators and blenders... it's not gong anywhere...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Maudib

Default RE: Ultra RC 87" Yak Build and Fly

Maybe I can get some free time during Thanksgiving...
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM
xtdsm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since mine is all ready let me start with my setup.

- DA50 with NX 22x8 2.5" stand offs
- JR 8511 all around
- Stock hardware
- Duralite batteries
I am not sure of the actual weight, but I can tell you that it pulls pretty damn nice out of hovers. She flies so damn light and true, no bad tendencies what so ever. I mean no wing rock in up right or inverted harriers, very stable in hover, and landing this thing is easier than trainers.

Here is a small vid of me hovering her in a windy day.

http://media.putfile.com/Yak-50cc

Old 11-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Maudib

Very nice... thanks for sharing.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
xtdsm

thanks and you are more than welcome Maudib.

When are you going to build your 100cc one? I am seriously considering stepping up to the 100cc with that yak, but I would rather wait till I see some flying reports.

Ahmed
Old 11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Maudib

Gosh... you got me there... I wanna do it RIGHT NOW! But with weather in the midwest US... it's not likely to get flown anyway...

On it I plan the BME 110 Extreme on dual canisters, 5945's on ailerons, and 5955's on the tail... single 4800 lion on the receiver and a 2400 on the ignition. I'd LIEK to see 25-26 lbs... should get there with the light engine...
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
RC_DESI

ORIGINAL: xtdsm

Well since mine is all ready let me start with my setup.
Hi Xtdsm, Plane looks really good & VERY stable. I am glad I got one ;-).

Where is your CG at & how did u mount your engine (I have not got the instuction manual yet)
Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM
xtdsm

Arvind, thanks bro. I am really not sure where is my CG by now, I have moved the CG around till I liked the way it flew. now I am at the point where if flies hands off inverted (abit on the tail heavy side).

I have the manual, just give me your Email and I will be more than happy to Email it to you.

Ahmed
Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
xtdsm

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Gosh... you got me there... I wanna do it RIGHT NOW! But with weather in the midwest US... it's not likely to get flown anyway...

On it I plan the BME 110 Extreme on dual canisters, 5945's on ailerons, and 5955's on the tail... single 4800 lion on the receiver and a 2400 on the ignition. I'd LIEK to see 25-26 lbs... should get there with the light engine...
I am not sure if I can wait that long, since over here (United Arab Emirates) winter is our flying season. We stop flying in summer cause it gets way too hot in summer. Anyway, if I ever get one before you get your done, I will make sure to let you know. I will be using DA100 tho, since this is all what could get around here, plus I just love DA.

one more thing Maudib, how many servos are you going to be putting on Ailerons and rudder?

Good luck with your build tho.

Ahmed
Old 11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Maudib

I fully understand... gotta build and fly when ya can...

On the 107" I'll do 2 servos per wing... 1 each elevator and two on the rudder...

I should comment on how large this plane is... it's presence is of a larger aircraft... from memory comparison it presents larger than the QQ 102" by a fair amount...

The stab bags are enormous and cover nearly a large sized sofa... tee hee...
Old 11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I fully understand... gotta build and fly when ya can...

On the 107" I'll do 2 servos per wing... 1 each elevator and two on the rudder...

I should comment on how large this plane is... it's presence is of a larger aircraft... from memory comparison it presents larger than the QQ 102" by a fair amount...

The stab bags are enormous and cover nearly a large sized sofa... tee hee...
Hi Dave, just found this thread tonight, I'm really interested in the Ultra RC 107'' Yaks, Probably get one of the next batch. Anyway, is there a 107 thread yet?

John
Old 11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Maudib

Don't think so...

I've got so many projects going on at once... I just can't do 'em all... Hopefully someone will get one started...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
RC_DESI

Ahmed, Can u pls post some pics of your completed Yak ? viz. insides, cowl, engine mount, landing gear mount

Thanks
--Arvind
Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
xtdsm

I don't have a lot of pics of the inside yet. This is what I have so far. I will be shooting some more pics shortly. In some of the pics you will notice some lame AZZ baffling and an ugly exit hole. I had overheating problems (hovering way too much and the weather here is just freaken hot) but after the baffling and enlarging the exit hole as well as adding a front lip to the exit hole to create a low pressure area, overheating has become history.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 AM
RC_DESI

Ahmed, Cool. How much further is the Prop from the cowl using the 2.5" standoffs? Also did u have add any extra weight to balance it or did it balance easily?

(Sorry for asking too many questions, but am trying to get all the info i need b4 I start assembling )
Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 PM
xtdsm

The prop is about 1.5" from the cowl with the 2.5" stand offs. She balanced a bit on the tail heavy side with the Ignition battery and ignition hanging on the front edge of the engine box, and the RX battery about 2" away from the firewall in the fuselage. That’s with DA's stock muffler, wooden prop and no spinner and no wheel pants.

Arvind you can ask as many question as you want bro, as well as anyone else for that matter. We are here to help each other aren't we?

I had a couple of flights today, it was not windy at all which is something that I never experienced before (I started flying 6-7 months ago and today is my very first day to actually fly with very little to no wind) and let me guys tell you this, I have always wished that the wind would stop one day cause I thought flying would be a lot better, but I was wrong. The plane needs more rpm to do harriers and elevators or it will just drop like a stone from the sky. She also lands a lot faster with no wind. To be honest, I prefer to fly in mild windy days than no wind at all. The only good thing about calm days (to me at least) is the plane seems to torquerolls a lot easier.
Ahmed
Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 AM
vfalcon7

Hello, I'm looking for an email version of the manual. I did not get any with the plane and do not know what the engine box measurements are to mount the DA 50. If anyone has the manual or the dimensions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Maudib

Sorry, I meant to reply to your PM but was out until late yesterday...

I don't have a digital version yet... hopefully soon... I'll find out and post today if possible...
Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Maudib

Also... as an FYI... Ultra RC is having a Black Friday Sale on a LOT of items... on this plane he's got $50 off! Pretty sweet deal.

http://www.ultra-rc.com/50ccyak

Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

well i just got mine today and in the same boat as some of you,did not get any instructions never mind that i didn't get the tank,wheels. just need to know center lines on engine box,and where the CG is located,i think i can figure out the engine center lines but have no idea where the CG is located other than that everything else is pretty easy to build, how long did it take to get the instructions.i will be useing a da50 with stock muffler,looking forward to a build thread.any help with the instructions would be a GREATE!
ENJOY!

i will name my next kid after the person that gets me a copy of the instructions!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Maudib

Ultra RC got the Dubro order in and will be shipping out the tank/wheels/etc right after the holiday...

As the included sheet stated... they'd rather we get the plane right away than to make us wait for a few items...

If a fella is so inclined, there is plenty to do without the manual.. sealing the covering, gluing hinges, control horns, servos, etc...

Install gear, tailwheel... an so forth and so on...

Old 11-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this bird. Would a BME 50 provide great 3D power for this bird. I do not want to spend the money for a DA right now. What are excellent motor choices for this plane for someone on the CHEAP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.