Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

MY BUILD - Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer RTF Ultimate Combo

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

MY BUILD - Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer RTF Ultimate Combo

Old 11-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY BUILD - Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer RTF Ultimate Combo

This is NOT a review since I haven't been in the hobby for very long but I wish I would have had something like this when I was doing my shopping. This is for the tower hobbies ultimate combo for their Tower Trainer 40. It comes with everything you need to get flying (other than fuel and flight line equipment).

The plane arrived and was well packaged, everything was in pretty good shape. The monokote was loose or wrinkled in places but it wasn't nothing a heat gun couldnt' take care of. Tower says that due to the temperature variations during shipping, the monokote does that.

The engine was mounted secure and straight. The servos were also secure and straight.

So what do you have to do when you get the plane? You have to put the wings together (by putting metal connections across the wings). Put the landing gear on (much the same thing, by putting fasteners on them). Connecting the pushrods to the control horns, and finally connecting the two battery cables together because the battery ships disconnected.

Charge the transmitter and the reciever overnight and you are good to go. I DID have to adjust some of the pushrod connectors because they were not straight. For instance, the rudder would be straight but the steering wheel would be turned. Since they are controled by the same servo, I had to adjust. I also had to adjust one of the ailerons since it was not level with the other ones.

I have heard complaints about the engine since it is a tower hobbies brand but I haven't had a BIT of problem out of this engine. It started on the first try according to the directions (turning the needle valve 3 turns from close). From there it really does a good job of walking you through setting the high end needle valve. The book does lack on setting the low idle screw properly so I had to ask on here how to do that. The problem I had was when I throttled up, the engine would die. Turns out my idle was too rich. I leaned it out a bit and it works great. Ive never had a problem starting this engine even in the cold air of the mountains.

The engine breakin (according to the directions) took me about 15 mins to do and it used about 1/8 a gallon of fuel which is about 2 tanks in the plane.

I have not flown it yet because I haven't been down to see my AMA instructor. I will see him this upcoming weekend. Below is pictures.

If anyone has any questions in regards to the engine or the build of this plane, feel free to shoot me an email to [email protected] and Ill help out in any way I can.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54343.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	563319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12885.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	563320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47189.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	563321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18429.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	563322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59191.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	563323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rh67613.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	563324  
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: MY BUILD - Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer RTF Ultimate Combo

I had a Tower trainer ARF many years ago. It was a good plane to fly around and it took a good beating and kept coming back.

Don't forget to check your CG.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Checklst

Default RE: MY BUILD - Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer RTF Ultimate Combo

I had one meny years ago, one of the first ARF's I purchased. Flew great, like Salty mine took more than a few hard hits, and still kept flying.