Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Why I won't buy any DPM products again

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Why I won't buy any DPM products again

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why I won't buy any DPM products again

All companies have their own peculiar set of problems. One of the, "Biggies" had a problem with one of the most popular ARF's that they sell. Did they acknowledge the problem? No. When it was called to everyone's attention, it caused the biggest Rant that you can imagine. This distributor has a loyal following, and I honestly believe that they could package dog poop, and would sell every piece of it that they could find. They still sell a lot of these planes with the known problem, and the guys who buy them, now know how to fix the problem. Does this make them a bad distributor? Or does it make them unbelievable business people? They also sell a retract servo that will not work when the battery pack is peak charged, not to mention that it will never work on 6.0 volts. This is a very expensive piece of gear, and it took me 3 calls to find a person who would finally tell me that I would have to limit my flight pack to 4.8 volts. No apologies, just, "That's the way it works, sorry bout that."

I won't spend a dime with them any longer, I even changed the brand of radio that I fly so I don't have to use any of their products. Will they notice? Probably not. Will Dave Patrick notice the loss of business? It appears that he stay's sold out of his offerings, so we are all probably feeling better for having a place to vent our frustrations, but we are not really accomplishing anything. The models that he is able to ship are very much sought after, so they will be snapped up as soon as they are available.

I wish that I really thought we could accomplish something, but the truth is we probably won't do anything except make a few waves.

Merry Christmas,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DP has had lot of good planes and sometimes service seemed slow because his planes usually got snapped up so quick. Last I heard DP has had Family/health issues, I just don't think his heart is in it right now.............
Old 12-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Checklst

DP has had lot of good planes and sometimes service seemed slow because his planes usually got snapped up so quick. Last I heard DP has had Family/health issues, I just don't think his heart is in it right now.............
I was not suggesting that DPM models were not good planes. Let's get that very clear. I have seen several of his offerings, and I think that they are probably the best ARF models that one can buy. Would I do business with DPM? Probably, if I wanted that particular type of plane, and in that size. Would I be prepared to wait to get the model? If I really wanted one, then I would be glad to wait to get exactly what I wanted. We have been trained to expect to receive instant gratification for everything that we want. I honestly think that this is the main reason for so many not building any longer. If so, that is their business, and while I still elect to build, most do not. Does that make me any more a modeller than they? Absolutely not. It just makes me a part of a different section of the hobby. If you guys want the pre-built models, then go for it. You can, however, get a set of plans for virtually any size airplane, and of any type, and build it in the amount of waiting time for one of these models. Just something to think about.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 08:15 PM
willhobby01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your problem with Will Hobby?
Who send to you? Please let me know.