Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:19 PM
tuskegee pilot
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Hello RC Universe family and co-builders and Flyers:

Today, I have the pleasure of introducing to you a beautiful new scale ARF airplane by CMP (China Model Products). I just recieved this plane on Monday, December 18th,2006 in the Northern New England state of Connecticut.

I have always been an fan of Cessna 182's and I believe that I may have found the perfect model to start a building thread on. Hanger 9 came out with a beautiful Cessna 182 a few years ago. I still have my eye on that 1.50 sized ARF. Top Flite also has a 1/5 scale kit that many modelers have had the pleasure of building and successfully flying. After all, it is a Top Flite model, you cannot go wrong there. Great Planes also came out with a beautiful .40 sized Cessna 182 arf. I have almost hit the "order" button several times at Tower Hobbies for this beautiful airplane.

I had to larger displacement glow engines, the Saito 1.80 and the Webra 1.20 pumped motors and I was looking for a nice civilian scale ARF to put one of these motors into. Along came the CMP Giant Scale Cessna 182 1.20 sized ARF! When I saw it, and considered all the positive write ups here in RCUniverse about this beautiful model, I thought, I will definitely buy this plane!

Well, the plane has arrived, and it is time to dig into the box. I will begin my post of pictures and assembly. I WELCOME ALL QUESTIONS and INSIGHT THAT YOU HAVE. This is one plane that is on the top of my building list.

Here are some of the goodies that will go into this beautiful bird:

1. RAM lighting system-->rotating beacon, navigation lights, and landing lights
2. Large displacement 2 or 4-stroke motor (nitro)
3. Futaba 9C radio
4. Hi-Tec Hi-torque servos throughout the plane on all surfaces, except the throttle.
5. Scale detailing from pictures that I have found on the actual Cessna 182 Skylane aircraft (from a Cessna Aircraft Company brochure)

Enjoy the building/assembly thread and post your comments, positive and negative. I love feedback!!!

CMP has put out a good one this time.

***Just an insider secret-->if you want one of these aircraft, either go to Nitro Models.com, A-K Models.com or find a local hobby shop that has connections with CMP aircraft distributor/manufacturing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38275.jpg
Views:	2482
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	581560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94309.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	581561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10269.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	581562  
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Looking forward to your build thread! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-22-2006, 05:08 AM
georgee

Default RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Twm09,

Congrat. to your beauty.

I hardly can wait for your building infos.

Georgee
Old 12-22-2006, 05:47 AM
beat098

i can not find the 2mmX150mm push rods. anyone remember where they were in the kit. i guess i will have to drive 30 miles. thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 08:13 AM
tuskegee pilot

Thanks for your reply. Keep your eyes on this link and pass the word to the other guys. You will like the photos and build strategy. Thanks for visiting again!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:14 AM
tuskegee pilot

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a beauty. I am still shocked that it only cost $229 for this bird. What a steal!!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
tuskegee pilot

I will look for the screws for you. Maybe they are taped inside the box somewhere. My plane came with extremely good packaging!

When I first received the box from UPS, I was hoping that there was no damage, because I went UPS ground instead of the 2nd day or 3rd air. No damage at all! In fact, the airplane was double boxed. TALK ABOUT QUALITY! I work in the aviation industry, and careful shipping of parts is one big thing that can make or break the reputation of a company. Well, UPS has my business for life. Even when they slightly damaged a package, I was promptly notified and was compensated for the damage. That is quality customer service.

Well, back to the plane. I am looking forward to getting off from work today and taking some pictures of all the parts that are packaged in individual plastic bags. JUST WAIT FOR THE PHOTOS! YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLANE.

****If you haven't bought one already, get on the waiting list at A-K MODELS. THEY ARE EXPECTING A SHIPMENT IN JANUARY 2007. JUST A HEADS UP FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT FIND THIS PLANE ELSEWHERE.****

Old 12-22-2006, 08:23 AM
tuskegee pilot

The pushrods should be on the inside of the box near the landing gear in clear plastic bags (I think that they are carbon fiber). Look near or inside the wing tubes. I will check to see where they packaged mine.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing to this thread since I know I will have to have one in the future.
Tommy
Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 AM
beat098

there are 5 200mm pushrods. they are for the rudder and elevator.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Old Dutch
My Feedback: (34)

This is going to be a useful thread. Thanks for sharing your building experience with this model. I have already come up with a question. What is the rationale for using "high tec-high torque" servos in this type of plane? For years I flew my Top Flite 182 with an O.S. .91 Surpass and all standard servos. It flies just great. Your CMP has 100 less sq. in. of wing, so perhaps the 1.20 FS would be recommended. But I wouldn't go overboard on the servos. However......no harm done using the best of everything....right?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:00 AM
herm

did you see the rubber dampened engine mount?, pretty cool.. I'm making mine electric so I will save about 1lb by not using that mount and gas tank. The wings struts are molded fiberglass, I wonder if they are load bearing and if they have any metal in them? Would not be hard to reinforce them where the screws go thru, perhaps with brass strips from the hobby shop. Also plan to use bigger wheels since I fly from a grass field.

I estimate mine will be about 12lbs and 12oz RTF electric, using 10 cell dewalt A123 lipos..

This plane is a bargain..
Old 12-23-2006, 06:27 AM
tuskegee pilot

It is a great question that you have. Primarily because I like the hi-torgue servos on anything above .90 sized aircraft. Also, because the servos were available.

I know that I can use regular ball bearing servos, and set up the linkages for maximum mechanical advantage, however, I will just have the extra security of the additional "built in" torque of the hi-torque servo with the stronger gears and more sturdy control arms. After all, you cannot beat the price and reliability of the Hi-Tech product line. I primarily fly all Futaba gear, however, Hi-Tec has convinced me of its exceptional products that this company puts out.

Simple anwser: The servos were on the table at the time of construction.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:24 AM
bob4mmi

tmw09 - Many thanks for starting this thread and Seasons Greetings from the UK.

I am hoping to fit a Zenoah petrol engine in my CMP Cessna 182-140, when it arrives, and would be very grateful if you could let me know the dimensions of the firewall available for the engine mount - I am not too sure that there will be room for the engine I have in mind.

I shall find your build log very helpful I am sure , so keep up the good wo

Bob.

' Praise the Lord'
Old 12-24-2006, 01:13 PM
beat098

has anyone started building yet? you will want to paint the servo holder. they have a purple tint. hitec servos fit the holders, futaba will have to enlarged. for ram lights i drilled a hole at 45 degrees thru the webbing at the wing tip which brings everything thru the same path. any ideas and help appreciated.

bob
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
tuskegee pilot

I will look at it tonight and get back with you. I have been away for about 5 days and missing the opportunity to build this beauty!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:02 PM
tuskegee pilot

I will get back with you tonight. I have been out of the state for 5 days and missing this beauty!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
georgee

Hurry,hurry tmw09,

We are eager for new informations, as for the building is concerned.

Georgee
Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
beat098

with regards to the center wing panel, ___consider_____ leave the 2 nylon rings off the lower surface. they hit the cross member of the fuse
drill the holes for the pins a little large. put he nylon guides in the fuse and test fit. epoxy the guides in. then epoxy pins and insert the wing. tape the trailing edge in position. this should give you a perfect fit.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:16 AM
Matto

georgee,

Are you building the Cessna at the momoent and if so have you come across the hinge on the rudder yet?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Matto

Hi tmw09,

Great to hear that you have started building this plane have recently bought a cessna and im having troiuble with the hinge on the rudder it seems to be to flexible just wondering if you were up to that part yet?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:38 AM
tuskegee pilot

I wish that I could say that I am at that point. No. I will see if I am having problems with this area. I heard someone mention the same thing (only 1 person) in another thread that was started a few months ago.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 AM
georgee

Hi Matto,

Unfortunately, my Cessna"s still sitting in her box.The assembly will be started in the next month.Do you think that the hinges are crappy for this plane?As far I remember the hinges are the same as on my Cmpro Extra 330L/2m/ and there wasn"t any problems with them.I"m waiting for further infos.

Georgee
Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
tuskegee pilot

HELLO ALL....THE WAITING CONTINUES.....

I will follow up on the build of the Cessna. It is still sitting brand new in the box. I had another plane on the building board, that I have to clear off to make room for this monster of a plane. It is nice. I would like to buy another one as a backup. It is just that nice. Buy two if you get your hands on some. They will not stay at that price for long when more people start ordering them.

Happy new year to all!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
georgee

Hi tmw09,

Well, it"s not that cheap here in Europe.Just look at this:
http://www.der-schweighofer.at/web/p...5475&prodID=99
As a matter of fact,its about 390 Usd.So we"re not that spoiled as you are in the states.

Georgee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.